• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
More power to Christians who have their faith and still support gay people.

I don't know exactly where you compartmentalize Leviticus, but godspeed.... keep doing it.

Probably the same place they compartmentalize stoning your son to death in the town square if he comes home drunk and all the hundreds of other idiotic Bronze Age nonsense from Leviticus that Christians haven't paid attention to in centuries.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Attending may not necessarily mean endorsement (or even awareness), but that's no real excuse. Basic research should be done about the shit you attend and if you decide to go there anyway be ready to answer for it

Nah, ain't nobody got time to think about that. There's "I always knew..." to get in!

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The church my sister got married in had pride colors painted up from floor-to-ceiling on one part of its wall, and when I asked the reverend, he explicitly said it was a statement of support for LGBT+.

When my gf's grandfather passed, their community church we went to for the funeral had postings on the notice board in support of the gay community, decrying toxic masculinity, and various support charities for Syrian refugees.

There are plenty of problems within organized religion, including Christianity, but this is some lazy-ass commentary.
Good for you guys, in my country the church still kind ignore us.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Shit attracts shit. If he has control over the company he keeps then, his character is a reflection of that company.
Not really. I have stark ideological differences with some of my best friends. But they've always been kind and supporting to myself and my family. Am I supposed to judge them based on which side of an arbitrary line they stand?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Anymore? Because for a time it was. Progression into modern day on being gay as a chritian in america really just got to what it is now over the last say 15 years or so
I'm pretty anti-religion, but even I wouldn't go so far as to say every church in America has a history of being anti-gay, using conversion therapy, and child molestation.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Attending may not necessarily mean endorsement (or even awareness), but that's no real excuse. Basic research should be done about the shit you attend and if you decide to go there anyway be ready to answer for it
what would you think of me if I went to visit trump or david duke....?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about Chris Pratt. By all accounts he seems like a wonderful person. Let's not judge him because of a church he goes to.
I mean, he showed his dick to Amy Poehler on the set of Parks & Rec because she "wasn't giving the reaction he wanted" and the take they used shows her honest reaction, yet somehow nobody ever brings this up as a bad thing

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Chris Pratt, along with everyone else with him, is choosing to go to this church. Is he being dragged in with chains with duct tape on his mouth? No.
Or literally just dont know the history of it and this was his first interaction. You cant presume anything without knowing it all first. Maybe his fiance' goes there too and he checking it out. Alot of what if's here...

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As weird, and ironic, as this is going to sound, Faith is kind of a spectrum when you think about it. You got your individuals who believe that everything written in text is the gospel truth, those who just believe in the deities (or idea of) themself while not supportive of the church, and all sorts of other combinations.
Yeah that does make sense. There are plenty of Christians who are not so much interested in the doctrine as a whole, and are more interested in the platitudinal "love thy neighbour" stuff which causes them to love thy gay neighbour, which is great.

The problem is that the doctrine is there, sometimes people read it, and I can't entirely trust that it leads to a postive outcome vis-a-vis gay acceptance, were they to take it seriously....

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's not a good look at all. No one should be supporting such a Church, let alone public figures like those. Pratt's political and religious views have been kind of borderline for a while now and he's not super shy about them and this kind of association and tacit endorsement doesn't help in any way. Hell he's also in the midst of the "Daniel Fast," based around fasting the Prophet Daniel undertook in the Bible, which is supposed to help bring people closer to God. So he's pretty deep into it. Will be interesting if this rises to any kind of level where he'd respond to it.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Not to defend pratt, but I'm pretty sure this can be applied to just about any church in America.

Naw no child molestation at my church and no Gay conversion therapy at all. Mine is a local church and we pretty much keep an Eye on everyone. Though we ( my family) has a thing about our private space. We handshake everyone we don't know and only allow you to get close if we have known you for awhile. Some Gay people I've known have thought I was put off by them because I kept my space from them for awhile until we actually knew each other but found out I do it to everyone new.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like this is a specific church. As in, they're referring to the Hillsong Church in general - all of them. The child molestation didnt happen in the specific church Pratt went to, it happened within the Church of Hillsong.

And if that's the case, then the examples of specific Churches showing LGBTQ support don't really hold much argument.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong...

Regardless, religion promotes these negative views and I expect most religious people to hold those views... it's a shame and I wish humanity had the sense to not blindly follow religion.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Strange that Pratt is being singled out. Is it because he's so secretive? For example, I doubt anyone would call out Gomez for attending an "anti-gay" church given one of her best friends is bisexual.

There are plenty of churches that welcome gay people. Some are "love the sinner" types, and others just don't demonize homosexuality at all.

Uh, most churches tend to be anti gay, because, you know the bible. There are churches that are welcoming, but the majority aren't.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like this is a specific church. As in, they're referring to the Hillsong Church in general - all of them. The child molestation didnt happen in the specific church Pratt went to, it happened within the Church of Hillsong.

And if that's the case, then the examples of specific Churches showing LGBTQ support don't really hold much argument.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong...

Regardless, religion promotes these negative views and I expect most religious people to hold those views... it's a shame and I wish humanity had the sense to not blindly follow religion.

You are correct, Hillsong is a brand, a HUGE brand with celebrities. Pratt going to Hillsong is the least surprising thing because most famous Christians go there.

He is not a "milkshake duck" because he goes to a mega-popular celebrity church.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of religion or Pratt but it's a stretch to say he goes to a church "with a history of child molestation" because some dude molested kids decades ago and was removed for it.

The homosexuality stuff is sick but par for the course when it comes to Christians in recent history. What really matters is do they still support that therapy? Does Pratt take any part in it? Does he support it?

Not all humans believe the same things. Not all Christians believe the same things. Not all members of the same church subscribe to the same beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.