Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Some before and after shots.

Original
AB8ncAZ.jpg

Remaster
u0wnUPI.jpg

Definitely just a blur filter. Look at the dithering in the sea and how it's just still there. Back in the PS1 they used this to get more colors than the system allowed, as the dithered colors would be scrambled by the analog signal and result in something in-between. There is no artistic reason to leave it there nowadays, so it just means they didn't touch the image at all.

Oh well, I will just hope people can make a Moguri-like mod down the line.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just remember people back in SNES/PSX times going all "Chrono Cross sucks", "A disappointment after Trigger" and "so mediocre", when did people's views on Cross switch so hard? I never played it due to those critics :(

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
I just remember people back in SNES/PSX times going all "Chrono Cross sucks", "A disappointment after Trigger" and "so mediocre", when did people's views on Cross switch so hard? I never played it due to those critics :(
Didn't it get really good reviews when it came out? I think Gamespot gave it a 10.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Can you name a sequel that hasn't sucked according to a vocal minority in every topic? Maybe the Witcher 3? It's far more of the exception than the rule. You'll find people who think critically acclaimed titles like GTAIV, MGSV, UC3, SMTV etc all mediocre disappointments if you read the corresponding topics.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People's views haven't really changed much, I think. It's more the Super Mario Sunshine phenomenon in action. Those who are still talking/posting about the game tend to be those who really liked it. Once it gets wider exposure on release, opinions on the game will become less positive, just like they did with Sunshine's re-release.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The game is very divisive. Those who love it love it. Those who hate it hate it. Luckily as time has passed people who hated the game but who are not bitter assholes can understand that this is past history and so there's no point in joining a thread where people are excited about the remaster to let everyone know they didn't like the game. So there will be a positive bias in the threads.

As for me, I loved it. It's definitely a stranger and less straightforward game than trigger and the gameplay is not as fun. But the story is very dreamlike (reminds me of French fantasy), art and especially soundtrack are second to none. I think it might be my favorite soundtrack ever (though ironically the battle theme is pretty bad).

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Probably the same people that thought the Matrix sequels sucked.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm now spoiled by the Re4 remaster so it's really hard to appreciate the improvements.

PS1…. Yes I know.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I don't think there's been a big switch. The game always had its fans, and those that hated it as a sequel to Trigger. I feel like that's still largely true and there's hasn't been a huge shift in those feelings

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely just a blur filter. Look at the dithering in the sea and how it's just still there. Back in the PS1 they used this to get more colors than the system allowed, as the dithered colors would be scrambled by the analog signal and result in something in-between. There is no artistic reason to leave it there nowadays, so it just means they didn't touch the image at all.

Oh well, I will just hope people can make a Moguri-like mod down the line.

Correct. Dithering worked wonders when on a CRT with scan lines. It's really hard to look at at higher resolutions on an LCD screen.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
People's views haven't really changed much, I think. It's more the Super Mario Sunshine phenomenon in action. Those who are still talking/posting about the game tend to be those who really liked it. Once it gets wider exposure on release, opinions on the game will become less positive, just like they did with Sunshine's re-release.

Yeah. CC was one of the largest gaming disappointments ever to me but I don't have the energy to post about how much it sucks constantly for 20 years straight. Eventually everything has been said.

Radical Dreamers being included in this re-release is really cool, at least. I'm interested to see how new players react to it.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017

As a Chrono Trigger sequel I did and still do find it disappointing. Following a masterpiece like Chrono Trigger was always going to be tough. But it's still a fun game with an amazing soundtrack. If it didn't have the Chrono name attached to it I think it would have been received a bit better.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
I'm slightly miffed this wasn't Xenogears and in fact a CC remaster and not even a remake. Are we sure that the original rumour of big PS title was the same thing here just misinformation? It seems weird that the big thing would be a remaster to me. Well I'm glad all the same but I was expecting something huge. That being said I might buy this because the improvements look nice.
I'm wondering the same thing. I love chrono cross but a $19.99 hd upscale isn't exactly what you think of when you hear 'big remake'.

I guess we'll know for sure if we play through the game and hear the anuna song.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Probably people who have done nothing the last twenty some years except remember it through listening to its soundtrack.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slightly miffed this wasn't Xenogears and in fact a CC remaster and not even a remake. Are we sure that the original rumour of big PS title was the same thing here just misinformation? It seems weird that the big thing would be a remaster to me. Well I'm glad all the same but I was expecting something huge. That being said I might buy this because the improvements look nice.

This is why you don't take the off-the-cuff statement of a random musician with little actual gaming knowledge at 100% face value. The source on the "big Playstation remake" thing was always just some musician who didn't really know the full breadth of what they were working on.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
This is why you don't take the off-the-cuff statement of a random musician with little actual gaming knowledge at 100% face value. The source on the "big Playstation remake" thing was always just some musician who didn't really know the full breadth of what they were working on.
I think it's also the contrast between the two things. This isn't a high effort remaster we can tell from the trailers, but if it's the same game it sounds like they went through some lengths to get a high effort soundtrack to go along with it.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the musician said anything inaccurate in her statement. Certain people heard what they wanted to hear. We've had leaks for a long time that it would be a multiplatform Chrono Cross.

I saw someone on the Kinda Funny reaction video say something like "I guess Bluepoint isn't making that then?"

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
A lot of us still think the game is very flawed, it's still worth a play though.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The first of the internet is "be skeptical of claims without evidence." Gamer nerds are notoriously poor judges of quality. CC is a very different game than CT but it holds up well against its contemporaries. It's got a massive scope, countless party options, and one of the more nuanced combat systems of its generation. Visual direction and soundtrack were also very good for their day. The soundtrack remains excellent.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be interested to see where I fall on the whole "Cross is good actually vs. Cross ruined my childhood" debate.

Then again my philosophy over the past few years has pretty much evolved into being able to find the good in every game on its own merits so unless it's literally the worst game ever I can't imagine not liking it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Called it in an old thread:
Still not sure why they'd remake this before Chrono Trigger which leads me to believe it must be because Cross is already 3D. So I'm not expecting a full on overhaul remake. More like an updating of assets. I'm not sure but I think that would fall somewhere between Low-Budget and Decent in the poll since I don't think they'll overhaul it as much as Mana.

Still I expected them to update the assets a bit more. Like update the textures and stuff.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough to remember when people thought this was a remake, myself included

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved it and everyone I know who's played it in real life has always loved it. Internet's a weird place.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's finally revealed, and for the first time EU players can also get their hands on it (officially at least).

I've been wondering the same thing. Is this the big remaster/remake with the irish singer that recorded that new song a while back? Or is something else still coming?

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Chrono Cross is and has always been good. As a sequel to Chrono Trigger it isn't what people wanted/expected so if you want to be salty about that I get it (although I wholeheartedly disagree).

However, as a JRPG it's one of the all time greats. It has a unique battle system, a well realized world, and one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
As an RPG Cross is a great game. The battle mechanics, and atmosphere was really unique for the time. It also has an interesting story and great soundtrack. I recall the negative reaction at the time was mostly people wanted Chrono Trigger 2 and not getting it. Not having that expectation this time will help it.

That said reviewers assigned to review this game may still dredge up 20 year old gripes about this not being their imagined sequel to Trigger. We'll have to wait and see.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I think this sentiment already got posted in this thread but, I am extremely curious what people think about Radical Dreamers (as well as its weird alternate storylines).

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I think this sentiment already got posted in this thread but, I am extremely curious what people think about Radical Dreamers (as well as its weird alternate storylines).

I played a fan translation many years ago and I found it very interesting, if a bit too simple (yes, it's a text adventure). I am very psyched to play the official translation and see how all that Magus/Janus stuff ties up Trigger and Cross.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I'll be honest as a Chrono Cross fanboy, I might have paid $20 just for a Radical Dreamers release, lol. Having my favorite JRPG with some enhancements just makes it a no brainer.

I wonder if battle enhancements might include a higher difficulty level, because to me Cross combat's main flaw is that other than Dario (who can be cheesed) it's possibly the easiest JRPG of all time.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its a really good game and rpg. It is just not considered a good sequel to CT, which for a lot of people is their favorite game of all time. That is a tough standard to live up to.

I was actually shocked to see that CT outsold CC. It was definitely not a big deal in the US when it launched. Honestly no rpgs were back then. In the US the PSX made RPGs mainstream. I would imagine CC was more popular in the states than CC and most people played CT via emulation but that is just me talking out of my ass.

This is the first release of radical dreamers in the US that I know of so that helps explain some of the excitement.