levious

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it's what Sega does for all the Genesis games they put out on steam. They give you the roms wrapped up in an emulator, and you can just put those in whatever emulator you want if you don't like the standard version. They even made a thing where there's a 3D frontend for the emulator, where you're sitting in a room going through your library.

Neo geo games as well released through humble.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it was an emulator and rom combo like the Sega Classics I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

Now this horribly filtered android version with touch-screen interface and mobile aspect-ratio should die in a fire. Why Square-Enix always screws up when releasing old classics on PC? Jesus! I'd gladly pay $60 for a proper PC port with widescreen support, raw sprites and an UI designed for big screens...

I see, thx for the info.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are these all the same game? What version is this?

you inadvertently hit the nail on the head on this one. People are praising the art style of the PSP versions but they're indistinguishable from one another. If good art style means blending all the games together as if the original versions didn't convey a different feeling and atmosphere, then count me out. This is clearly not the way to go to do these games justice.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
DXDtBEOUMAA-klU.jpg:large

Nice tiling errors in the trees.
Send it back.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
My refund has gone through, thanks based Steam.
I spent a lot of time looking at pixels too closely and noticed that there's no fewer than four different things being done to the sprites in this port.
Characters have one filter that sharpens and scales:
DXEGdt9VwAA0vef.jpg:orig

DXEGeN3VQAARkGp.jpg:orig

Then tiles have another, which doesn't take into account the sprites as tiles so you get these disconnected graphics:
DXEHKRYU0AAwTpN.jpg:orig

DXEHe_KVQAAKzBz.jpg:orig

You've got some sprites that have no filtering whatsoever.
DXEIL9uU8AANKTo.jpg:orig

DXEIguZVoAAvcB3.jpg:orig

And then you've got the fourth category, which is sprites that have been redrawn.
DXEJLocVAAILsow.jpg:orig

DXEJhccUMAAYun6.jpg:orig

The amount of effort they put into this port is baffling. They added the content from the DS version, redrew some of the sprites, took a big ol' dump on some of them, a different dump on others, and then straight-up forgot others. If Squeenix had just licensed one of the many SNES Emulators out there and released a ROM you'd have a few people complaining, but ultimately you'd have a much better situation. What a sad trainwreck.

I see a shaders folder I wonder if these are the filters.
pVfpAkn.jpg
Nope. This is what happens when you delete them and play the game:
DXDuyupVAAAOe4v.jpg

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
you inadvertently hit the nail on the head on this one. People are praising the art style of the PSP versions but they're indistinguishable from one another. If good art style means blending all the games together as if the original versions didn't convey a different feeling and atmosphere, then count me out. This is clearly not the way to go to do these games justice.

Lolwat.
ff1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Firion is literally a slightly altered version of the FF1 Warrior sprite...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of effort they put into this port is baffling. They added the content from the DS version, redrew some of the sprites, took a big ol' dump on some of them, a different dump on others, and then straight-up forgot others. If Squeenix had just licensed one of the many SNES Emulators out there and released a ROM you'd have a few people complaining, but ultimately you'd have a much better situation. What a sad trainwreck.
I don't understand why they think people want these messed up sprites.
Do they think they are making them better?

Do they have no pride in their original art and sprite work?

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
These are the PSP 20th Anniversary versions of Final Fantasy 1 and 2 and the PSP Final Fantasy IV Complete version of FFIV.

Wow, I have all of those but didn't even recognize they were the PSP versions. It's been a long time since I played them. Did SE ever put the 20th anniversary editions on the NA PSN store? I know they were on the EU store, but I was waiting forever for the NA store release.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
i understand the hate, but how can i play the snes version, its so expensive, same the ds versions. i dont have much options without being a pirate. this or mobile are the only ways i can play it now :(
If you have a Wii or WiiU you can get the SNES version for $8. DS copies are $30-40 new. Mind you this is in the US, but are options if you want to pay for those versions.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I have all of those but didn't even recognize they were the PSP versions. It's been a long time since I played them. Did SE ever put the 20th anniversary editions on the NA PSN store? I know they were on the EU store, but I was waiting forever for the NA store release.
Nope. Still not on there.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Nearly 5 years since the FF5/6 mobile ports were released and endless negative feedback about certain elements, and they still can't seem to figure out that people just really freaking like the original pixel art style. It's the reason so many SNES games have aged well. Stop screwing with what people are already entirely in love with, please. It's clear these artistic decisions are extremely deliberate and consumers should vote with their wallets.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if ports like these started coming with ROMs of the originals on a Extras/Bonus folder or something.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
Man they should have just released it with the ROM, but then again, people would complain. However, its wayy better than this shitty ass mobile version that we got. I cant even press the Menu button via Start, I actually have to use my mouse and press Menu on the top right. lol

GG Squaresoft

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

Holy crap, thank you a bunch for this whole post! getting the details of this out, It's crazy how this song and dance happens for so many of these ports, and I hope this is the last straw for this, and they take a more serious look at their ports from now on...

...I mean, nothing's written in stone, but I'm hopeful!

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i understand the hate, but how can i play the snes version, its so expensive, same the ds versions. i dont have much options without being a pirate. this or mobile are the only ways i can play it now :(

there's also the ps1 version of chrono trigger on ps3 for 10 bucks (i got it for 5).

which is MUCH better than this "Port"

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Man they could have done so much more with the achievements. Just 8 or so of them and all story ones. Hopefully if it gets ported to PS4 it'll have a plat.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, what's with Square and pixel art? At least make these filters optional.

Doesn't make a difference to me as I have other means to play this already, but people have been asking for a modern release for so long.
Yeah I've never understood the love for those remakes, they look so bland compared to the originals (even though I think the original IV is kinda ugly).

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a Wii or WiiU you can get the SNES version for $8. DS copies are $30-40 new. Mind you this is in the US, but are options if you want to pay for those versions.
im from chile, i have a pc and a smartphone, dont have a snes, dont have a ds, need to buy in amazon a ds and the ds version, or a wii or a wiiu just for this game vs bought this version for 18 usd (because in steam store conversion usd to clp in se games are bad)

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Really just a personal thing, I like the translation more as it has more charm (even with the infamous "one close to you" flub), and they made minor changes to the DS version to bring it closer to Chrono Cross. And I am not a Cross fan to say the least.

The DS version is perfectly fine to play through. The translation is more accurate.

Makes sense. I actually prefer that infamous "close to you" flub as well as I always thought it was an unfinished part of the game. Not a fan of Cross either.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
What in the actual fuck. Why would you port the iOS version. SEGA literally stuck some ROMs in a wrapper and sold them, that is all you had to do

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
If you own a Wii or Wii U, you have about a month left to add Wii Points to your account so you can buy it there.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Again, no company does this. Capcom doesn't intentionally kneecap mobile titles for the sake of making their console releases look better.

They did a pretty good job at promoting MHXX by announcing MHW right before it released. I'd quality that as kneecapping one project at the expense of another haha. Your original wording didn't specify mobile titles or anything, and it's pretty well agreed in Media Create threads that Capcom made a pretty dumb move with MHXX and the timing of the MHW announcement. Anyway, I guess I misunderstood your original statement, so no worries.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Out of nowhere! Since I've already played it, I don't see myself buying it again. Great to see it coming to pc tho.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
Wow now I think I understand why they didn't advertise this release. Can we have an honest debate as to why jaggy antiquated pixels are better than smooth blends (which is how they looked when originally displayed when the game was released)((OK MAYBE THIS ISNT THE SMOOTHEST BLEND, But it's not the titanic guys)? I'm not advocating for either - I'm just unsure as to why this is a supposed complete disaster?