• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
WB isnt going to do shit, theyre out there trying to save every penny they can.

at best, they just drop a disclaimer and then call it day. maybe theyll do everyone a favor and just shadowdrop it on HBO max and then begin replacing ezra

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the insurance only covers the cost to make the movie, I don't think it would cover marketing costs or the additional box office money the movie could make.

That seems like the way to go then, no? They haven't spent much on marketing yet, so they could recoup whatever they spent on the movie ($200m?) without crippling themselves financially or destroying their reputation.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless Ezra shoots someone with the firearms they've been carrying around, this movie is coming out in theaters. The movie is still OVER A YEAR away from releasing in theaters, that is a lot of time for a lot of shit to go on in the world.. and frankly with the way news gets burned through with the 24/7/365 newscyle, this will be a distant memory to most by the middle of July. Warner Bros will announce Ezra is no longer involved prior to the film releasing and Ezra won't be on the press tour.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
anything can happen in a year. I think WB will just stay silent on this until the usual marketing cycle is supposed to start for it

like maybe ezra just goes to jail and everyone is okay with that? its only a big deal right now because ezra's out and about without any consequences

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Michael Jackson was a musical legend and quite literally the most well-known pop culture icon on the planet.

Ezra Miller is a mediocre actor playing a superhero very few people care about.
I think the fact Ezra is not that famous (aside from this) is probably why WB thinks they still have a chance. Just gotta ban them from interviews and market the film as Flashpoint starring the Batmen and Supergirl…oh and Flash is here too 😅
Edit: fixed My bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Unless Ezra shoots someone with the firearms they've been carrying around, this movie is coming out in theaters. The movie is still OVER A YEAR away from releasing in theaters, that is a lot of time for a lot of shit to go on in the world.. and frankly with the way news gets burned through with the 24/7/365 newscyle, this will be a distant memory to most by the middle of July. Warner Bros will announce Ezra is no longer involved prior to the film releasing and Ezra won't be on the press tour.
That seems like the responsible and reasonable thing to do, sure. Completely in line with what the crisis management people that were quoted on the OP too. /s

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Another reason they can't just can The Flash is that likely 3-5+ movies hinge on this movie existing.

I mean, worst comes to worst you commission an animated short depicting the key events and put it on HBO Max and/or play it before one of the other movies. Compared to the money issue it's far from insurmountable. Konami never made a game depicting the Battle of 1999 and Capcom never bridged Mega Man and MMX.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
There have to be some shot -> reverse shot sequences with Batman 89 and Supergirl in there that can be salvaged for another movie. Ezra can't be in every single shot of the movie no matter what Variety says.

That's their best option. Salvage whatever they can from this and bolt it onto something else.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying $200m budget hollywood movie studios can't deepfake them out while youtube creators can? 🤔

YouTube deepfakers do have the advantage of being able to pick and choose. A deepfaker can watch an entire movie/show and find the one scene that is most amenable to being touched up. They have options and only need to manage 3 minutes of deepfakery to go viral.

WB is in the position of needing to do an entire movie. Every single scene. Any scenes that can't be done would just have to be cut from the movie. A movie that, presumably is going to have The Flash's shown in a thousand different ways. Different lighting, different angles. Close-ups, far away shots, group shots. Shots where the Flash's face is half obscured by the helmet, shots where the Flash's face is hurt and has visible injury. It doesn't take much to fuck up a facial mapping program. Little things like that make it a lot harder to do a straightforward deepfake like people are able to pull off on YouTube.

Now, granting all that, I do sort of think WB should either do it anyway, or shelve the movie. If it's literally impossible, shelve the movie. If it's possible but expensive, pony up and do the CGI. Insiders seem to believe it's the former, and it just can't be done.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This came out yesterday and I just saw it now:

Probably not related but this is what I have to say: Good. Get fucked. Big corporation needs to own up to their bulls and do what is right, I am not sorry for them and these characters deserve better caretakers. Let Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or Netflix have them, I don't care.

You realize Discovery and Zaslav have only been in charge of this for two months? During that time the WarnerMedia CEO and WB film head are now gone.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't exactly hurt Michael Jackson's career and those accusations went to trial.

I imagine WB is waiting for Miller to be found and questions to be answered before deciding on how to proceed.

It absolutely fucking did hurt Jackson's career. It's hard to remember now because of our culture's bullshit "never speak ill of the dead" mentality, but between the early 90s when the first allegations came out, up until his death, Jackson was seen as at best a has-been and at worst the punchline to a pedophile joke. His last album before his death bombed, and only his cult like fans still openly supported him.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era is vastly underestimating that general audiences give a shit about Ezra, and will go and see the movie anyways. Of course it'll make money. I honestly wouldn't doubt it if they go through with their marketing push and release the movie as planned. There's no legal, or moral obligation big enough for them to lose money over.
There's the strong possibility that Miller escalates between now and release. Then WB is in an even worse position.

Also this will keep being brought up as the marketing builds up, possibly reaching a larger and larger audience that could get turned off from the film.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like the responsible and reasonable thing to do, sure. Completely in line with what the crisis management people that were quoted on the OP too. /s
Sadly, welcome to the real world. I know you want the scorched Earth approach, but there are a large number of people in this country that don't give a fuck about an attempted coup that happened just 18 months ago. You think the general public is going to give a fuck about some no name actor a year from now if inflation continues be an issue? Hell no.

Should Warner Bros have put out a statement immediately stating Ezra is no longer the Flash? Yes. Should Warner Bros fork over the money to rework the film and shoot new scenes with a new actor? Yes. Is Warner Bros going to do any of those things unless absolutely forced? Probably not.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
It's quite an interesting situation.

WB could possibly wait it out, maybe delay the film further, but this whole thing has been escalating, so more shit could pop up.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People saying nothing will happen, is there any example beyond Kevin Spacey and Ridley Scott changed that, albeit, not on the same scale. I can't think of any off the top of my head, not saying past reputation, lots of actors are shady bad people but an active timing like this?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Mostly I wonder what is going to happen to Miller in the longterm. They're just gonna keep hiding out I guess? How long can they do that, realistically? Are they just done with Hollywood?

EDIT: Looks like they have a court date for July 12th so I guess they have to appear by then.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
It'll get cancelled, just expect to hear about it in a few weeks rather than right after the event. $200m decisions aren't made in just under a week. They need to check with lawyers as to what they can say about the situation and whether they have cause to drop the contract with Ezra, they'll be checking with PR firms, marketing divisions etc etc. They'll see that reshooting the Flash with an actor people like will result in more than $200m of gains compared to releasing the movie with someone who's being called a kidnapper and a child groomer. You only have to look at Aquaman, and to a lesser extent Venom, to see that getting the right lead can make mad bank.

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Mostly I wonder what is going to happen to Miller in the longterm. They're just gonna keep hiding out I guess? How long can they do that, realistically? Are they just done with Hollywood?
Prison. And yes, they are done in Hollywood, hopefully no one gets hurt before they are put into custody, mostly their victims that might unfortunately be working as their cohorts at this point. The whole thing reeks like the whole sex traffic ring that Smallville's Allison Mack was involved, the leader of that thing will rot in prison. Hopefully Miller can be stopped before anyone is killed.

So wait, they are essentially missing with an 18 year old right now?! Wtf
And was actively trying to groom a 12-year-old with horses since last February:

www.resetera.com

The Daily Beast: 12-Year-Old (they/them) Granted Order of Protection Against Ezra Miller (they/them) News

As usual, Ezra Miller and the victim involved use They/Them pronouns please respectfully use those pronouns when talking about them. https://www.thedailybeast.com/12-year-old-granted-order-of-protection-against-ezra-miller?via=twitter_page Fuck Ezra Miller, fuck Warner Bros. Discovery and...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can somewhat understand WB and Ezra's agents and mangers staying silent and not being vocal about dropping them right now. Considering Ezra is HEAVILY armed and still has at least one of their victims with them. Waiting until everyone is known to be safe might be the safest approach right now.

But what message does it send putting out a movie that children will be fans of and want to see, where the star has news articles about grooming children?

$200 million or not. I don't see how WB can have a marketing campaign for a comic superhero movie where the lead, the star, has news stories about them grooming 12 year olds. What company will want to put out Happy Meal toys for this movie? Lego sets? Even if Ezra is not involved with promotion, what sort of questions will journalists ask the other actors?

Cancel it. Or cut Ezra out. Both are expensive dooms day scenarios but I don't think they have any good options to salvage it with Ezra in it.

I think this is a key point, things could go badly if WB actually do axe Ezra, the film etc. and that sets Ezra further off before the girl is safe and Ezra taken in by the authorties. The latter needs to happen before WB annouce what they are going to do. Maybe in the background they have some options planned like refilming some parts, new actor, CGI wizardry or scrapping it, we just don't know.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
You have no idea. Ezra is rightfully fucked with the general public, this isn't something about a "bubble". Keeping Amber Heard or having Johnny Depp at the height of when he was accused of being an wife beater is not the same thing of having a pedophile running a sex cult disguised as an witch coven fighting the KKK and the evil mainstream media. Whitney Suters is a close Ezra Miller friend that lives with them and it's spewing trumpist shit lke don't believe the media on a video they posted yesterday on Instagram that has been now taken down.

Ezra is done. And the right thing that Zaslav has to do here is stop being a cheap asshole and take the loss, order Muschetti to recast Miller and reshoot the Flash scenes the more efficient way possible. Releasing as it is and ignoring what is going on it's not an option.

I agree with you, yeah, on most counts. Even on the right thing to do here. Except I don't think they'll do that. I think they're going to bet that it's better for them financially to release the movie. Even if the movie bombs from bad press they'd still minimize their loses with whatever ticket sales they do get. Maybe they'll delay it until Ezra is jailed or whatever, but there's no way they're going to bin the movie and lose 200m (which is what recasting and reshooting would amount to).

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
WB is gonna put the movie out so they can scrap up whatever money they can and then remove Ezra. Either that or they dump it on HBO Max and call it a day

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a key point, things could go badly if WB actually do axe Ezra, the film etc. and that sets Ezra further off before the girl is safe and Ezra taken in by the authorties. The latter needs to happen before WB annouce what they are going to do. Maybe in the background they have some options planned like refilming some parts, new actor, CGI wizardry or scrapping it, we just don't know.
Yes, this is another point some seem to forget. There is an element of public safety involved in this whole situation. Publicly firing someone who is running around waiving handguns at people doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do right now. Let them be detained, questioned, etc. before doing something that could further escalate the situation.

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I agree with you, yeah, on most counts. Even on the right thing to do here. Except I don't think they'll do that. I think they're going to bet that it's better for them financially to release the movie. Even if the movie bombs from bad press they'd still minimize their loses with whatever ticket sales they do get. Maybe they'll delay it until Ezra is jailed or whatever, but there's no way they're going to bin the movie and lose 200m (which is what recasting and reshooting would amount to).
This is an unprecedented situation for a blockbuster of this type. I'd argue that "managing costs" with something so damning would be a disaster to Warner Bros. Discovery even worse than reshooting the whole thing from scratch, what regardless of what they claim in the leaks, I doubt it would be necessary.

I think what people aren't seeing is that just going ahead with this would be a PR disaster that would likely turn WB into a studio pariah, and Zaslav might be cheap, but I don't think he is cheap and dumb. Rework what it can be salvaged, take the loss and save their reputation that it's already not that great it's the only option they have to save face, which is more important than this film's loss at this point.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
This is a ticking time bomb for WB. They have to disown Ezra ASAP. They are currently missing what if they do something crazy and make this whole situation even worse than what it is?

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
And here we go again, this time an NBC Reporter talking with the 12-year-old non-binary kid's parent that Ezra Miller was trying to groom by offering them horses to ride at their sex cult ring farm disguised as pseudo-progressive witchcraft coven at their Vermont farm, beyond new information about Gibson's / Tokata's grooming by their parents and other witnesses:

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
And here we go again, this time an NBC Reporter talking with the 12-year-old non-binary kid's parent that Ezra Miller was trying to groom by offering them horses to ride at their sex cult ring farm disguised as pseudo-progressive witchcraft coven at their Vermont farm, beyond new information about Gibson's / Tokata's grooming by their parents and other witnesses:

Ezra is disgusting. Zero chance I will see this Flash movie. Bury it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how all of this doesn't escalate to a point WB can't ignore it. If everything we've heard about their behaviour is true they seem far too volatile to avoid that for an entire year.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
They're in a real tough spot. Reshooting Barry's scenes would cost a ton. I imagine they'd rather not spend more money and just have the Flash release and then recast for the future but the optics will be poor for having Miller as your lead in a tentpole film.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
WB should have made the hard decisions earlier. Discovery and Zaslav took this over two months ago. Since then, the WarnerMedia CEO is gone, and so is the WB film chief, and they've delayed the movie release.

I doubt they'll shelve an essentially completed very expensive movie, and apparently reshooting with another actor is not a practical option. So they'll presumably cut Ezra from future projects, cut them from film marketing barring major changes and a big apology tour, and decide later this year whether to spend a lot on marketing like any typical superhero movie, or spend nothing and just quietly dump it to HBO Max.

WBD could put out a PR about this today, but let's be honest, short of shelving the movie now and taking a $100M+ write-off, that's just empty talk and those wanting the film canceled would say it's not enough anyway. And if does end up quietly dumped to HBO Max, the people who demand it be shelved today will always have the option of never watching it.

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
WB should have made the hard decisions earlier. Discovery and Zaslav took this over two months ago. Since then, the WarnerMedia CEO is gone, and so is the WB film chief, and they've delayed the movie release.

I doubt they'll shelve an essentially completed very expensive movie, and apparently reshooting with another actor is not a practical option. So they'll presumably cut Ezra from future projects, cut them from film marketing barring major changes and a big apology tour, and decide later this year whether to spend a lot on marketing like any typical superhero movie, or spend nothing and just quietly dump it to HBO Max.

WBD could put out a PR about this today, but let's be honest, short of shelving the movie now and taking a $100M+ write-off, that's just empty talk and those wanting the film canceled would say it's not enough anyway. And if does end up quietly dumped to HBO Max, the people who demand it be shelved today will always have the option of never watching it.
This is some apologist non sense for a major big studio like Warner Bros. Discovery. I don't think what people are demanding on social media is unreasonable at all: take the loss and recast Ezra Miller. Done. Short and simple. Writing us an essay to tell us how poor Warner Bros. has nothing they can do but still enabling a child abuser is rich, to say the least.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is some apologist non sense for a major big studio like Warner Bros. Discovery. I don't think what people are demanding on social media is unreasonable at all: take the loss and recast Ezra Miller. Done. Short and simple. Writing us an essay to tell us how poor Warner Bros. has nothing they can do but still enabling a child abuser is rich, to say the least.
I don't think that person is being an apologist?

Reads to me like they're simply summarising what WB might be thinking.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Talking about their options is "apologist nonsense"? OK.

On the subject of nonsense, it has been posted repeatedly in this topic that reshooting with another actor is not only not possible, but it's also far far far from the "short and simple" solution you claim.

Here it is again, for the umpteenth time:

"With "The Flash," insiders say it would not be possible to replace Miller without reshooting the entire movie. They are in just about every scene, and there is not enough digital technology in existence to configure that magic without going back to square one. And redoing the entire film is not a realistic proposition for any movie — much less one that wrapped production months ago and already cost hundreds of millions."

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect them to release it as normal because fuck doing the right thing when money's on the line, but the right thing to do is to reshoot the movie. This Ezra shit has gone from "they're a bit of a weirdo" to "they're a complete lunatic who probably needs to be arrested" in record time and it's not going away. Yeah it's going to be a financial fuckup considering how much work that is but with what's going on that should be what they do. But like I say, I expect them to fight against that scenario tooth and nail.

I wonder how big a deal this is with the general public. Before this news, I couldn't tell you that they were the flash despite seeing both versions of justice league. Kevin Spacey had a 20+ year star career when all his allegations came out and he was replaced. It wouldn't surprise me if 80% of the public doesn't care. Maybe they'll spin it as a mental health (using past erratic behavior to excuse some of the more specific allegations) issue that's being worked on.

Of course this depends on how they end this situation. If it ended today, WB will just market the movie with everyone else and try to get some return.

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I don't think that person is being an apologist?

Reads to me like they're simply summarising what WB might be thinking.
Talking about their options is "apologist nonsense"? OK.

On the subject of nonsense, it has been posted repeatedly in this topic that reshooting with another actor is not only not possible, but it's also far far far from the "short and simple" solution you claim.

That seems quite apologetic and implying that poor WB has no choice and that people will never get satisfied, when that's clearly not true. I've been following this closely only since it blew up, and what most people seem to keep asking online other than half of dozen of 24-7 Ezra fan accounts oddly created once the Hawaii rampage started that attack and harass the families and people accusing them on both Instagram and Twitter.

I don't think anyone would be mad at WB for doing the right thing, and what is implied to me on their first post is clear to me, just like their follow-up. If WB came out today saying that Ezra Miller is out of the Flash film and they are recasting the character for reshoots, I think the worst they would get is why it took them so long. Implying that they have no option but "barrel through" with a child abuser as their lead doesn't exactly seems like the best course of option to me, both morally and yes, even when it comes to business. You just don't keep supporting someone like them.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I just wanted to point out that a year IS a long time. However, Ezra's odd and dangerous behavior has been getting worse and faster. Who knows what the hell they will have done a year from now, how many arrests, how many children we will have found to have been groomed by them.

I get your sentiment and honestly you would probably be right if Ezra just moved to an island somewhere and became a hermit, but, that does not seem to line up with their behavior at all. They seem to be actively seeking out the bad attention at this point.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Mancha

"no choice"? I literally described multiple choices they have.

Where is this apology stuff you keep claiming?

So you're saying if they put out a PR while changing nothing about their plans to release the movie as is, people would be satisfied? I doubt that very much.