• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Imagine fighting these dudes off single-handedly

0218-jussie-smollet-attackers-brothers-footer-1.jpg

Hey! That's an insensitive joke according to the last thread lol

these guys seem to have a healthy following on insta, I'm hoping they're good people and don't have their lives ruined by this whole debacle.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, why would he cast them as MAGA anti-black racists? LMAO
They were never going to be seen/caught, so it wouldn't have mattered what they looked like. It's not like if he hired white dudes things would be more believable at this point. They would have rolled on him just as easy. Nobody is taking a charge for this dude for $3500.

That makes no sense because he was starring on a hit TV show and was already incredibly famous. In before "I'VE never heard of him."

Unless you are Tom Cruise or Will Smith, you can always get more famous, and more rich. The celebrity/Hollywood lifestyle is fucking warped. Im not surprised someone would do this, if anything i'm surprised shit like this doesn't happen more often, or it probably does but those celebs/publicists are better at covering it up.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Biggest revelation for me? I guess I'm embarrassed to have assumed that lynching was long ago made a hate crime. Da fuck?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Biggest revelation for me? I guess I'm embarrassed to have assumed that lynching was long ago made a hate crime. Da fuck?

A lynching is an execution by mob. It is not necessarily an execution of black men by white men. A lynching is already illegal.

If white men lynched a black man because he was black, I believe, it would be both murder and a hate crime. im not a lawyer, though.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why the fuck would he do this? He must have some seriously fucked up mental issues to pay people to attack him for... reasons?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
and who here hasn't staged a hate crime for personal gain
Not excusing them, but apparently they were in massive debt and had cashflow issues. Jussie allegedly paid them 3700. They probably can't afford lawyers like Jussie. It just feels wrong. They made their choice, but it comes off as exploitative if true.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Now I can start to rationalize this story to help diminish how upsetting it is.

There are too many layers, I'm not sure which aspect to it bothers me the most to even know where to start.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
He blamed two white attackers. If this indeed a hoax, police could have arrested two innocent people.

yep you're right.

And they'd be alive to prove it wasn't them, after getting their mcdonalds.

Unlike when the police execute black people all the time for fitting general descriptions, like having wide noses, which has a legacy since the inception of the police department.

So true though, they could have been inconvenienced for an hour, let go, and maybe sued.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
He blamed two white attackers. If this indeed a hoax, police could have arrested two innocent people.
I promise you the police do not mobilize to raid the streets en masse, and harass every white dude who may have jumped a black guy, like they do in opposite situations.

I mean we can see that it obviously didn't happen here, when this incident seemed to have actually occurred.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, the "white guy in a red truck" who allegedly shot into a packed car full of black girls and women and shot a little girl in the head out of apparently pure racist animus (who later turned out to be a white guy in a red truck who was trying to flee the scene of a gang shooting) turned out to be fine, and the cops were looking for him over murder, not assault.

Storm Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/18/jussie-smollet-motive-staged-attack/

The blockbuster revelation into at least part of Smollett's potential motive comes two days after CBS 2's Charlie De Mar reported Smollett and two brothers — Ola and Abel Osundairo — staged the attack on Jan. 29 in Streeterville.

De Mar spoke on the phone exclusively with the Osundairo brothers Monday afternoon. In a joint statement, they said: "We are not racist. We are not homophobic and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens."

Smollett received a letter containing a white powder Jan. 22. The letter was mailed to Chicago's Cinespace Studios, where the show "Empire" is filmed. The letter prompted a HAZMAT response. CPD says the "white substance" was later determined to be aspirin.

Sorry if old but wow

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

I view this as irrelevant. The crime began when the hoax began. If this is a hoax I don't think the authorities or the public should show him any quarter.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If the letter arrived on 1/22 in the afternoon and he hatched the plan, rehearsed it and staged the fake attack early in the morning on 1/29 then that's a lot to plan through and do in such a short period of time. Granted, it wasn't an Ocean's Eleven level plan that he hatched, but still, it seems like a very short period to go from receiving a threatening letter to staging a fake attack. Not sure I buy it, not that it exonerates him anyways.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is not correct. It wasn't an internet rumor. That was the reason given by the 'sources' that specifically mentioned why they think he did this.

Officially the police had denied everything other than they need to talk to him again due to the interview from the brothers.

What legitimate news outlets reported that he did it because he was getting fired?

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the letter arrived on 1/22 in the afternoon and he hatched the plan, rehearsed it and staged the fake attack early in the morning on 1/29 then that's a lot to plan through and do in such a short period of time. Granted, it wasn't an Ocean's Eleven level plan that he hatched, but still, it seems like a very short period to go from receiving a threatening letter to staging a fake attack. Not sure I buy it, not that it exonerates him anyways.

Well that may be why the plan was so terrible. But at this point, who knows. I'm sure more information will come out in the coming days.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Yeah you would think that was something done decades ago but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that it's 2019 and we still don't have common sense laws.
I think it's mostly that everything that is involved in lynching legislation is already illegal. Or to put it another way, lynching is murder/violence, and that's illegal.

The sponsors of this new bill, the Justice for Victims of Lynching Act of 2018, have said this new legislation is mostly symbolic. It's to recognize that America has a horrific history with lynching. The bill has specific language in it addressing this history. It's not exclusively symbolic, though. One thing it will accomplish is to expand the federal maximum sentencing in the case of murder hate crimes with two or more perpetrators and set a 10 year minimum for "bodily harm."

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

Just from the alt-right slant of the art and mocking two Black films I knew it was that conservative artist troll before I clicked the link.

The Democract candidate behind the anti-lynching bill. The look on her face is priceless.

ayMKwIt.jpg

Of course Fox News asks this.

The letter situation needs more clarification from these police insiders for their story to match up. So far, the insiders have only claimed the two brothers told them Smollett hired them for the attack and how much money they were paid for the attack. They don't say the brothers told them they were also in on the letters, but the police took magazines and stamps from the brothers' home likely as evidence for the letters. If the rumor you posted is true and the magazines/stamps were relevant evidence, then the brothers would have been hired twice.

In the 16 minute Good Morning America interview, he says that he never claimed the attackers were white. He says that he only saw one man's face, and he had a full mask on, just a slit for eyes and not enough to determine race. Of course we do not know what he told the police earlier. I would guess it was widely reported that two white men were blamed due to assumptions based on the "MAGA country" statement.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't want to risk a ban in the original thread for calling the initial report very suspicious, but yeah it didn't really add up. The fact a couple white dudes were walking around downtown Chicago at night with a bottle of bleach and a rope looking to commit a hate crime and recognized a guy from a TV show that they likely wouldnt be watching on principle just sounded... well... fishy lol

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't want to risk a ban in the original thread for calling the initial report very suspicious, but yeah it didn't really add up. The fact a couple white dudes were walking around downtown Chicago at night with a bottle of bleach and a rope looking to commit a hate crime and recognized a guy from a TV show that they likely wouldnt be watching on principle just sounded... well... fishy lol
It seemed strange, but there's been stalkers that have done weirder stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.