• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The take away should be just because he faked this, it doesn't mean we should be looking for plot holes in future cases

This is just a high profile fuck up, though I feel calling it high profile would just cater to his ego
It also doesn't mean if there are fantastical elements to a story in the future that you blindly believe all of it. Often times stories that sound too crazy to be true actually are. This story from the beginning had several head-scratchers. You're not a bad person for acknowledging that.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine fighting these dudes off single-handedly

0218-jussie-smollet-attackers-brothers-footer-1.jpg

AWAKEN MY MASTERS

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It also doesn't mean if there are fantastical elements to a story in the future that you blindly believe all of it. Often times stories that sound too crazy to be true actually are. This story from the beginning had several head-scratchers. You're not a bad person for acknowledging that.
No but the site has rules we have to live by if we want to post here and well, it's either respect them or get banned.

Best to hang back usually and let the cops do their job first.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018

Still thinking about this. What an absolute sociopath.

I mean, not that he deserves the benefit of the doubt but that doesn't necessarily mean that he would've went thru with it. It seems like he could've BS'd his way into "feeling sorry" for whoever would've gotten arrested. But yeah, he totally could've been a full piece of shit too.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
These statements are completely separated from what happened here

Jussie claimed he was attacked. Seeing lack of history of false claims and his peers saying he is good makes you isntnwly say yes we should believe he is a victim.

Kamala Harris was like everyone of the sane folks who said we should believe the victim because what Jussie claims has in fact happened in form of hate crime to many others. Him falsefying the story for sympathy IS AN EXCEPTION. You cannot claim it's the norm

The ones who believed Jussie at first including Kamala Harris cannot be faulted because hate like that has occurred and victims word especially with no history should be taken as a high priority. The act that Jussie claims is a norm, his faking it is an exception
Oh, I agree about Harris, I had the same reaction as she did despite not really buying the story in the first place. I disagree that fabricated stories are rare though. The amount of African Americans sent to jail over made up stories is pretty high, and I bet there are plenty more we don't know about. I always want to believe the victim but I still approach things critically. I don't like the idea of not waiting for the fact in any scenario.

Even here, everyone has now determined Jussie is guilty based on rumored police sources and tweets.

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief.... so what about the neighbor's account about seeing two white guys?
That part was never believable. If it was the two men she claimed to have seen, they would have had to have brought a change of clothes in addition to their noose and bleach because what she described was the complete opposite of what was pictured in the camera footage. She may have in fact seen someone, but it wasn't the people who "attacked" Jussie.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If all this stuff is true, this is what happens when you take deception to the highest levels. It hardens your conscience. More lies to cover more lies.

He should just confess and be done with it. He could still salvage his career.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
If all this stuff is true, this is what happens when you take deception to the highest levels. It hardens your conscience. More lies to cover more lies.

Doubtful, he is up for felony indictment for filing a false police report.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Thanks for the replies guys. All in all, everything seems to be pointing at it all being set up by Jussie. Really disheartening but at the end of the day, he's a total scumbag for doing this.

JohnCarpenter1306

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Why should it be questioned . Are you saying you shouldnt be believing victims unless facts come out which makes you proceed with caution. You are presenting alt right talking points

Sorry, how is it "alt-right" to wait for facts before condemning ANYBODY? Are we to presume guilt for any person who is accused of any crime? Has this case not taught you anything? How many people jumped the gun to now go back on everything they said? Not everything you disagree with is alt-right...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief.... so what about the neighbor's account about seeing two white guys?
Eye witness testimony is often unreliable

The mechanisms by which flaws enter eyewitness testimony are varied and can be quite subtle.

One way is a person's memory being influenced by things seen or heard after the crime occurred. This distortion is known as the post-event misinformation effect (Loftus and Palmer, 1974). After a crime occurs and an eyewitness comes forward, law enforcement tries to gather as much information as they can to avoid the influence that may come from the environment, such as the media. Many times when the crime is surrounded by much publicity, an eyewitness may experience source misattribution. Source misattribution occurs when a witness is incorrect about where or when they have the memory from. If a witness cannot correctly identify the source of their retrieved memory, the witness is seen as not reliable.

While some witnesses see the entirety of a crime happen in front of them, some witness only part of a crime. These witnesses are more likely to experience confirmation bias. Witness expectations are to blame for the distortion that may come from confirmation bias. For example, Lindholm and Christianson (1998) found that witnesses of a mock crime who did not witness the whole crime, nevertheless testified to what they expected would have happened. These expectations are normally similar across individuals due to the details of the environment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_testimony

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why should it be questioned . Are you saying you shouldnt be believing victims unless facts come out which makes you proceed with caution. You are presenting alt right talking points

I'd say any time any news comes down you should try to look at it from an unbiased perspective. When you just took a step back and read the supposed details of this story i'd argue that things just didn't make sense. It's too over the top. Just like during the 2008 election when that girl claimed that she was robbed by a big black dude, then then he held her down and carved a B into her cheek and then told her, 'You're going to be a Barack supporter now'. You didn't even need to see the fact that the B was backwards to know that was bullshit.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

If all this is true, who the hell would hire this dude?

Oct 25, 2017
If this is a hoax, I'm waiting for the videos of the rehearsals to turn up. He would want to rewatch them to perfect his acting craft.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I think people are taking the wrong lessons from this.

I thought it was iffy at first too. In fact, I believed there is absolutely no way what he is saying wasn't a total fabrication. In the original thread I posted something to the effect of "I'm not saying he's lying, but this sounds like something a bad writer came up with". His account read as complete bullshit to me on day 1, but out of respect for real victims out there, I kept my doubts to myself. The real truth was going to come out eventually.

Here's the thing though, I don't regret not publicly saying what I thought sooner. It isn't my place to cast doubts on these matters. If someone is clearly lying like Jussie was, it's going to be uncovered anyways. Publicly doubting people who say they've been victims of a hate crime going forward is not what people should take from this.
mnvUTuq.gif

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, grows to believe that the earth is flat or that Bush was in on 9/11 or that Kubrick directed the moon landing. Sometimes you shouldn't question and just accept the facts.

i agree with the "sometimes" bit. healthy skepticism is a thing. with good critical thinking skills you can still question all of those and come to the correct, logical conclusion

i think we're all a bit on edge in regards to "questioning" things due to the sheer amount of misinformation available to us in the digital age. evident with this whole jussie smollett case and the drip feed style news "reporting" via twitter threads surrounding it

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just hearing about this today. I don't know how I missed this news. I thought something was up with his story from the beginning. What a fuckin idiot

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.