• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider release date: October 1996
Tomb Raider release date: March 2013

Doom release date: December 1993
Doom release date: May 2016

Prey release date: July 2006
Prey release date: May 2017

Yeah, not a huge fan of this reusing game titles trend.

It's more of a tried and true practice than a trend. Been happening in film for especially long.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It's true. Game is a reboot of the Modern Warfare series, not a follow-up to MW3.

Press and influencers played it this week. It sounds pretty freaking good from what I've heard. New engine and new takes on classic Call of Duty, more realistic. I'm hesitant to say more because they'll show it soon and I don't want to ruin anything, but Call of Duty fans should be excited about what's coming, specially those who feel the franchise has ran a little stagnant.
As a fan of single player campaigns in shooters, who only buys a new FPS every two or three years, this is exactly what I want to hear =)

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Is this because SE beat them to "Last Idea"? lol I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it'll be a decent game. I do not have my hopes up though.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I mean....I'm pretty sour on the series these days. I could barely play this one with any notable level of interest....I only played it when I had literally nothing else. So I feel like a soft reboot of some kind, going back to the MW roots and all that jazz can't be worse than another different one.

I hope they cool it on the extraneous shit. There's so much going on in this game, in the menu UI, so many options, loot boxes, something about coins, etc etc like fuck there's just way too much.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
First Black Ops IIII, now Modern Warfare. What's next, Black Op5?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so why did it need to have a name that is almost exactly the same as another entry in the series?

They could have called it anything else and no one would be confused, so if no one is going to be confused anyway, where is the logic in using a name that on paper looks like it might be the same game as another?

Why not call every CoD game from 2019 onward "CoD:MW"?

Why not call every Assassin's Creed game, "Assassin's Creed", or every Zelda, "Zelda"

It's not like someone will walk into Gamestop and ask for Zelda and be handed Skyward Sword
And regardless of those names I still say new *insert game* when I want. Yall gonna bust yall brains over this lol

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That's so dumb.

Why not call it 'Call of Duty 5: Modern Warfare', even. At least then it could be shortened to COD5.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Goofy, but as many have said, Prey (2017), God of War (2018), Doom (2016). People seem to be able to differentiate, And have multiple games abbreviated to TF2 or GoW. I highly doubt too many people are going to buy a 360 version of CoD 4 by mistake.

Also it's activision who are clearly spooked by market conditions for their franchises and aren't going to take too many chances this year and next.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
It's true. Game is a reboot of the Modern Warfare series, not a follow-up to MW3.

Press and influencers played it this week. It sounds pretty freaking good from what I've heard. New engine and new takes on classic Call of Duty, more realistic. I'm hesitant to say more because they'll show it soon and I don't want to ruin anything, but Call of Duty fans should be excited about what's coming, specially those who feel the franchise has ran a little stagnant.

New engine confirmed? That would be....fantastic.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
The name implies a reboot. Don't know what the fuss is about.

Non-story.

Can't wait to see how this reboot comes along. Modern Warfare is still my favourite so a return to form would be stella.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they did WW2 again two years ago. This at least piques my interest. Aside from the remaster, I haven't picked one up since MW3.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The comparison to God of War is incorrect, every reboot is named with just the title (like Tomb Raider)

Imagine 2018's GoW is named: God of War Ascension

This is why CoD: MW in 2019 is hilarious.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The comparison to God of War is incorrect, every reboot is named with just the title (like Tomb Raider)

Imagine 2018's GoW is named: God of War Ascension

This is why CoD: MW in 2019 is hilarious.

But this is a reboot specifically of the Modern Warfare timeline. So I don't see why it doesn't make sense that the same naming conventions would apply.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Man, kids are going to be playing 'guess which game I got' for Christmas this year.

Mar 29, 2018
I don't see it as being any different than God of War (2005) and God of War (2018)
No, it's more like if the new one was called "God of War: Ghost of Sparta", the same as the 2018 PSP game.

A subtitle is meant to be a unique identifier for an entry in a series. Here, the subtitle just gives it almost exactly the same name as TWO other entries in the series.

They should have just called it "Call of Duty".

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Interesting title choice lol.

I'm actually kinda glad they're not making an actual "MW4". The story from the first three games doesn't need to be continued IMO. There's nowhere left to take it really. Everything was resolved and came to a fairly satisfying end in MW3. I'm glad they're making a reboot instead.

Hopefully it'll be good, but no clue if it's going to live up to COD 4. That game was amazing.

Additional Information

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
..Modern Warfare. Yup

OP, please add this to the front post or add as threadmark:

•4 Player Co-Op Campaign Spec Ops is Back
•Mixture of MW2/MW3 Maps
•No Exclusive Marketing This Year
•Reveal in a week or two followed by live gameplay at E3

Source

Obviously this is a rumor as its unconfirmed and is not verified, but the poster in question has a good track record of having accurate information.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the issue with the name, would it have been better if they called it Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4.

No one had issues with God of War or Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
No, it's more like if the new one was called "God of War: Ghost of Sparta", the same as the 2018 PSP game.

A subtitle is meant to be a unique identifier for an entry in a series. Here, the subtitle just gives it almost exactly the same name as TWO other entries in the series.

They should have just called it "Call of Duty".

At this point CoD basically has multiple different series under its umbrella. Even the one-offs like AW and IW feel totally disconnected from the others. Like, what would it mean for Black Ops 5 if MW was just called Call of Duty and signified a complete franchise reboot? The title thing doesn't really bother me tbh. Yes, it's dumb in the context of Activision dropping the 4 from MW Remastered, but its specifically a reboot of the MW subseries. I think it has to be looked at as its own thing.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018

They say this same shit damn near every year.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
220px-Gowbox.jpg

A1181086.jpg

All over again.

Difference being that SONY waited 2 gens before rebooting which seems appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.