Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently today is National Coffee Day 🇺🇸 (A lesser-known coffee day as far as deals are concerned is International Coffee Day, which is Oct. 1.)
Check your local coffee places for deals
www.usatoday.com

Get free coffee, deals Wednesday for National Coffee Day at Dunkin', Starbucks, Panera and more

Sept. 29 is National Coffee Day and restaurants, convenience stores and brands alike are toasting the day by giving away free coffee and with deals.

Starbucks Coffee Day: Bring reusable mug for free coffee

Dunkin' National Coffee Day: Free coffee with purchase

McDonald's Coffee Day: 99-cent coffee with app

7-Eleven Coffee Day: Free coffee with baked good

Wawa free coffee for Coffee Day

Krispy Kreme Coffee Day: Free coffee and a doughnut

Panera Coffee Day: Free coffee for parents

Coffee Day at Sonic Drive-In: Half off Mocha Crunch Blast

Peet's Coffee: Black Card giveaway, discount

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Haha!

I also noticed on the replay that Brad already had a container of coffee beans on the countertop when he got home. But I guess they weren't FRESH coffee beans.

Apr 3, 2020
Minnesota Coffee Era does anyone have some coffee roaster recommendations? Im a big fan of Duluth Coffee Company. Dogwood is also great! Love getting freshly roasted when i can.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. Getting an urge to get a new grinder....

YsFaEJz.png

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for a good drip coffee maker? Originally I was going to go with a mid-tier drip machine, but now I'm thinking I should spend some money and get a really good one since my wife and I will be drinking multiple cups a day...every day. If there's one thing to splurge on it something you use literally every day.

Of course there's the Moccamaster but I'm trying to get on board with the price. Anything else out there that compares, or is that simply "the one"? Also, anyone who has a Moccamaster, do you have the one with the glass carafe or the thermal? If I get over my price issues, I'm leaning towards the thermal since there would be time between my first and second cups. I know there are pouring and cleaning issues, but how bad can that be?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I can't comment on those directly, but I will say to go with the thermal carafe. I've got the Breville with the thermal carafe and that thing is great. Keep the lid on, and your coffee stays at that perfect temperature for hours.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for a good drip coffee maker? Originally I was going to go with a mid-tier drip machine, but now I'm thinking I should spend some money and get a really good one since my wife and I will be drinking multiple cups a day...every day. If there's one thing to splurge on it something you use literally every day.

Of course there's the Moccamaster but I'm trying to get on board with the price. Anything else out there that compares, or is that simply "the one"? Also, anyone who has a Moccamaster, do you have the one with the glass carafe or the thermal? If I get over my price issues, I'm leaning towards the thermal since there would be time between my first and second cups. I know there are pouring and cleaning issues, but how bad can that be?
introducing-the-chorreador-vrsOXV5ELUz-UZ_n9M72dDY.1400x1400.jpg

Literally just ground beans in a cotton "sock". Delicious. Easy just to make one for yourself honestly, you just screw a couple boards together, sew some cotton.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ERA, my friend got me this Delonghi Dedica grinder for Christmas.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KPN9K2A/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BCYWSBSQCTJRFQYB66KM

Is it worth keeping or should I return it for another grinder at a similar price point? The comments say that it's not very good for espresso, I'd use for filter coffee mainly but if the Barazza Encore is better should I get that?

I would swap it for an Encore personally but mainly for the spare parts availability and ease of repair. Baratza is good with that.

Wouldn't expect a huuuge leap in performance though. Maybe a small one because it has more finer grind settings.

Encore will not work for Espresso either.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if there's anyone else here like me who owns both V60 and Melitta filter papers, but after years of having and using both in different brewers, I just discovered you can use a Melitta filter in a V60 by making a fold from one edge, to the opposite edge of the flat side. Like this:

It fits perfectly and tastes great. I used the Melitta gourmet mild filter (1x4 size) which has a relatively fast draw down time and it worked perfectly.

Just be careful not to fold the seam. Melitta filter seams tear pretty easily. Fold just above like the in the video

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up.

Bonavita might be dead. No responses to distributors or to many customers. So consider twice before getting stuff from them.

"I emailed their distributor about getting a replacement lid for a carafe and was informed that the people behind BonaVita are ending the line and will not provide support for their previous products from the email I received:

Although we are the worldwide distributor of Bonavita branded coffee products, the owners and manufacturers of the Bonavita brand have informed us that the business landscape has changed significantly and they will no longer continue to support the business. We have been without replenishment orders for 9 months and while we were hopeful for a more positive resolution, we are completely out of stock. With no positive outcome in sight, we are no longer able to maintain our Bonavita staff and have made the difficult decision to close this unit."

A shame, their kettles are great.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up.

Bonavita might be dead. No responses to distributors or to many customers. So consider twice before getting stuff from them.

A shame, their kettles are great.

Wow that's kinda crazy. I was actually just shopping for a new drip machine, and was looking at one of theirs (ended up going with a Moccamaster). Glad I didn't pick theirs!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Got some new cups, these are rather perfect for my lattes!

(Made by some company called NotNeutral, got these from Intelligentsia.)

Image.png

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
After lost packages and lots of shipping delays, finally got my new grinder!!

Image.png

Next to the old one. Bought the Baratza used for $200 and apart from some minor repairs, worked very well for 7 years.

Image.png

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
After lost packages and lots of shipping delays, finally got my new grinder!!

Image.png

Next to the old one. Bought the Baratza used for $200 and apart from some minor repairs, worked very well for 7 years.

Image.png

Nice! The Niche is well-loved. I just upgraded from a Rancilio Rocky to a Eureka Atom 75. What a gap.
I have the same machine as you (though yours appears to be modded?). I am going to upgrade in the near future.

(new/old grinder)
eureka_atom_755sjvi.jpg

littledipster

Jul 30, 2018

I have a Moccamaster (got it for something around $230 at the beginning of the pandemic) and I really like it. I'm not as much of a coffee expert as most people in here (my grinder is a measly OXO conical burr grinder!) but I like it a lot and use it at least once a day, sometimes twice. I have the glass carafe which does spill some while pouring, but just a few drips if I'm not careful or pour too fast. I'm not sure if the thermal carafe makes it better or worse. As far as cleaning issues, I have not noticed anything crazy, and most parts come off easy enough to clean regularly.

If I had to pick another drip brewer that is *slightly* cheaper I would probably go with the OXO Drip Brewer which is also SCA certified. I actually prefer the looks of that one as well!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! The Niche is well-loved. I just upgraded from a Rancilio Rocky to a Eureka Atom 75. What a gap.
I have the same machine as you (though yours appears to be modded?). I am going to upgrade in the near future.

(new/old grinder)
eureka_atom_755sjvi.jpg

Awesome. I was looking at the Atom 65 too. The 75 was outside my budget.

Yeah I modded my Gaggia Classic over the pandemic. Didn't cost too much and I still like how quickly the machine and group head warm up.

The next proper step up seemed in the 3x-4x the price range and I don't usually make more than one cup anyway.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So I got a Breville Bambino Plus for my birthday a month ago. Just cracked it open. Had some pre-grinded means and made a single shot latte. Honestly pretty good but I have some fresh beans I'll try grinding and make a latte tomorrow or Friday. Any tips for those who have similar machines?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
So I got a Breville Bambino Plus for my birthday a month ago. Just cracked it open. Had some pre-grinded means and made a single shot latte. Honestly pretty good but I have some fresh beans I'll try grinding and make a latte tomorrow or Friday. Any tips for those who have similar machines?
You have to play around with the beans, the roasting level and grind size. Assuming you bought a typical espresso bean, medium roast - start with a bit finer than the middle, weigh the 18 grams out. Let one or two cycle of hot water pass through the filter to warm it up. Then put the ground coffee in, do NOT pack it too hard. Firm press. Brew...the drip should look creamy and thick, when done, there should be dark coffee on the bottom with that chocolatey cream top, about 1:3 ratio. Smell it, taste it. Shouldn't be bitter. Keep dialing it in by varying the grind size.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
You have to play around with the beans, the roasting level and grind size. Assuming you bought a typical espresso bean, medium roast - start with a bit finer than the middle, weigh the 18 grams out. Let one or two cycle of hot water pass through the filter to warm it up. Then put the ground coffee in, do NOT pack it too hard. Firm press. Brew...the drip should look creamy and thick, when done, there should be dark coffee on the bottom with that chocolatey cream top, about 1:3 ratio. Smell it, taste it. Shouldn't be bitter. Keep dialing it in by varying the grind size.
Thanks, I'll try to hit that sweet spot...might take me some time but I figure there's an art to it.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is the machine I use every day, and the biggest improvement I got was swapping out the Dual-Wall baskets it comes with for a VST basket. You have to be a bit more accurate with the grind size and amount, but the shots it pours are much better once you get rid of the Dual-Wall.

I'd also recommend getting yourself some kind of grinder that you can easily adjust the grind size and amount on. There's little point having a proper espresso machine and not using freshly ground beans.

Oct 26, 2017
This is the machine I use every day, and the biggest improvement I got was swapping out the Dual-Wall baskets it comes with for a VST basket. You have to be a bit more accurate with the grind size and amount, but the shots it pours are much better once you get rid of the Dual-Wall.

I'd also recommend getting yourself some kind of grinder that you can easily adjust the grind size and amount on. There's little point having a proper espresso machine and not using freshly ground beans.

This is great advice. Honestly a good consistent coffee grinder will improve the quality of your brew much more than the coffee brewing solution itself. But especially for preparations where the amount and coarseness is important, a good grinder can make all the difference.
Thing is, they're rarely cheap, but a good grinder should last you for years if not decades. Mine has been in daily use for about 7 years now and never needed anything more than a basic clean up.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with freezing coffee beans?

Have a bag that I won't be able to use for 3-4 weeks while I am traveling.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with freezing coffee beans?

Have a bag that I won't be able to use for 3-4 weeks while I am traveling.
If you can vacuum seal it, as in a ziplock bag and remove the air, it will keep for plenty of time. I typically go though coffee in about 2 weeks and just use a fellow vacuum container. I think that even at 3-4 weeks, if it is sealed in a dark space, it will still be fine when you return, but no harm in freezing. Don't bother thawing either when you use them, it won't make a difference.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Is the bag sealed? If so, there's no harm in freezing them. As long as they are sealed they shouldn't get frostbite.

Yeah, it's in one of those paper bags. With a degassing valve at the back. Not sure how paper would do in the freezer.

If you can vacuum seal it, as in a ziplock bag and remove the air, it will keep for plenty of time. I typically go though coffee in about 2 weeks and just use a fellow vacuum container. I think that even at 3-4 weeks, if it is sealed in a dark space, it will still be fine when you return, but no harm in freezing. Don't bother thawing either when you use them, it won't make a difference.

Oh, I can grind from frozen! Hadn't thought of that tbh. Maybe I will split it into smaller ziplocs and freeze for my double basket dose.

It was roasted last week. It should be fine outside too, but want to delay the 'best' period of 2-6 weeks from roasting.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's in one of those paper bags. With a degassing valve at the back. Not sure how paper would do in the freezer.

It was roasted last week. It should be fine outside too, but want to delay the 'best' period of 2-6 weeks from roasting.
First of all, these paper bags all have a plastic lining inside, so they're fine in the freezer. Just push the trapped co2 out of the bag and put it in the freezer.
I advise against refreezing them though.

It will be fine outside as well. After 6 weeks (depending on the bean and roast) it will start to sweat (oil pools on the beans) even then they are fine as long as they're stored in constant temperature environments and exposure to air being kept to a minimum. Just do a smell test if that happens. If they smell rancid it's best to toss them, or use the coffee in stuff like Tiramisu or for dry rubs.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Coffee prices coming up pretty much +100% since last year, at least with the absolute cheapest supermarket ground coffee, have made me happier about having my grinder. The initially much more premium whole coffee beans have lagged in price hikes, so I'm barely paying more for much better brew.

(Bought Arvid Nordquist Sommar 2022 ground coffee on a whim since it was on discount, but goddamn was it not good at all. Nordquist usually has way better coffees than that, bean or ground)

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
After using several simple espresso makers throughout my life, and a decade of using pods; i've finally decided to get into it properly.
Recently a friend jumped on a Gaggia Classic Pro and a Baratza Sette 30 setup, and is having a blast.

I decided to browse ebay and see what deals i could find.
Yesterday stumbled upon some auctions, and tried my luck

I wanted to pick up a Gaggia, new or almost new, for 300€. Tried my luck, but kept missing it by 20€ or 30€.
Browsed some beefier machines, but no luck on getting a great price.

Even found a guy on OLX selling the contents of a bankrupt caffe to the highest bidder, and in one of the pictures there was a Marzocco GS3 AV.
My eyes widened thinking he might not know what he had, but after a lot of messages trying to pry out a price from him, he kinda did know.

Dejected, went back to ebay, and threw some bids here and there. Ended up snagging a Quick Mill Pegaso PID Flow Control for 620€

s-l1600.jpg

Its not exactly what i had in mind, since it has an integrated mill, which i didn't really want; but for not much more than what you pay for a new Gaggia, i'm getting PID temperature control, pressure control, a decent mill and flow control (with the lever? idk).

So... yay?
I still don't know exactly what i got myself into. Let's see what happens.
Now i gotta find some coffee before this beast gets here.

Any accessories and or slight mods that i should look into?
Anybody here has had anything from Quick Mill? How is it?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
You should ask in reddit - that's where you will find more specific recommendations and its also a larger pool of users. My general advise would be to learn how to pull shots that you like by practicing before going over board with mods and whatnot. That'll take time and effort, and anytime you change a variable you have to shift everything you learned. I also do not actually like the typical espresso steamers as they are hard to use and clean. I use a cheap $20 milk steamer from Amazon which makes better foam.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Any accessories and or slight mods that i should look into?
Anybody here has had anything from Quick Mill? How is it?

I don't own anything from them, but they are generally well thought of.

You should look at a standalone grinder at some point to get the best results.

Otherwise, get a scale and spend time getting your workflow to be consistent. If you want to get the best extractions, get a bottomless portafilter so you can see if you're getting any flow issues.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
You should ask in reddit - that's where you will find more specific recommendations and its also a larger pool of users. My general advise would be to learn how to pull shots that you like by practicing before going over board with mods and whatnot. That'll take time and effort, and anytime you change a variable you have to shift everything you learned. I also do not actually like the typical espresso steamers as they are hard to use and clean. I use a cheap $20 milk steamer from Amazon which makes better foam.
I don't own anything from them, but they are generally well thought of.

You should look at a standalone grinder at some point to get the best results.

Otherwise, get a scale and spend time getting your workflow to be consistent. If you want to get the best extractions, get a bottomless portafilter so you can see if you're getting any flow issues.

Practicing will be me focus for now, yeah.
The grinder seems nice enough for my 0 level of skill.

Probably gonna need a proper tamper and leveller eventually.
Also the bottomless portafilter you mentioned.

Any cheap scales you can recommend?

I'll see what I can do with what comes included.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Practicing will be me focus for now, yeah.
The grinder seems nice enough for my 0 level of skill.

Probably gonna need a proper tamper and leveller eventually.
Also the bottomless portafilter you mentioned.

Any cheap scales you can recommend?

I'll see what I can do with what comes included.

I can't really recommend a particular scale, no. I just found one on Amazon that was decently rated and not too expensive. It also has a timer function on it, which is nice because my current machine doesn't have a shot timer included.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of those combo tamper/leveler things that you can get for ~30 bucks is something I would suggest. They let you lock the tamper in to a certain depth and if you are weighing your grind and keeping it consistent, it allows you to remove tamp pressure as another variable.

I'd get any old ~20 dollar scale from Amazon, maybe 1-2 kg in range so you can weigh/tare with the portafilter.

Maybe one of those rubber mats so you don't damage your counter when tamping.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
One of those combo tamper/leveler things that you can get for ~30 bucks is something I would suggest. They let you lock the tamper in to a certain depth and if you are weighing your grind and keeping it consistent, it allows you to remove tamp pressure as another variable.

I'd get any old ~20 dollar scale from Amazon, maybe 1-2 kg in range so you can weigh/tare with the portafilter.

Maybe one of those rubber mats so you don't damage your counter when tamping.
Oh, I've never seen a tamper/leveller combo, that sound nice.

I have a scale in that range, it's probably just a bit too big to fit under the portafilter. I'll try it out.

Rubber mat, yeah. Damn so much stuff already.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I've never seen a tamper/leveller combo, that sound nice.

I have a scale in that range, it's probably just a bit too big to fit under the portafilter. I'll try it out.

Rubber mat, yeah. Damn so much stuff already.
It depends on the diameter of your portafilter but something like this:

I also have a 3d printed funnel that attaches to my portafilter and fits into my grinder that makes things convenient, but it isn't a must.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Delivery was super quick, and i got enough packing peanuts for the rest of the year as it came double boxed.
I spent the weekend learning the ins and outs.

At first i was completely baffled. Turned it on, tried to use the grinder and nothing.
The numbers on the PID counter kept going up, counting the seconds, when i pressed the grind switch but nothing happened.

Went back to the ebay listing to make sure i didnt miss any faults on the detailed description of the item, but it was listed as brand new with open box.

Popped 3 screws off of the top of the machine and inspected the wiring near the grinder, and found a brown wire had come loose and disconnected from its white spade connector; probably during shipping.

Put everything back the way it was, and off we go! Straight into making very terrible and bitter expresso.
The machine looks great and feels like quality piece of kit. The grinder is really the only piece that seems to be lacking a bit. There's no stepless adjustment and the swinging metal hat near the chute is just a bad design, as it impedes the normal flow of coffee out of the grinder.
I adjusted the grind several times and dialed back the temperature to 198 (92ºc), until it started to resemble a proper espresso.

At first i fiddled with the pressure lever to try some fancy profiling, but quickly gave that up since i'm still way too green to be worrying about it. Straight to 9 bars after that.

The last thing i was having trouble with was the baskets. Since Quick Mill is an Italian company their baskets seem (to me at least) to conform to the Italian dosages of 7g for a single and 14g for a double. Even going a little bit over those dosages seemed to result in having the group head main screw imprinted in the center of the puck.
One other thing that may have contributed to the coffee bed being too high, is the fact that i'm using the included suspended tamper, on the machine, to do the the job; which results in it not being leveled nor as packed as it could be. Using the single basket is almost impossible without a proper tamper, so after a few tries i just moved to the double and didnt look back.

After basically throwing away 250gr of beans, adjusting stuff, i finally got to a sweet spot.
Although i'm not getting the abundance of crema i was expecting, there's enough and the flavour is so goooooood.
Slight acidity, almost no bitterness, and amazing soft flavour coming through.
For now i just used some Colombian beans from the biggest Portuguese roaster, Delta. Nor only was it super cheap (2.20€ for 250g), but it already produces amazing results.

Now waiting for the tamper\leveler combo and some cafiza.
Look forward to trying some other local roasters and some even fresher beans.

Oct 26, 2017
My wife got me a pour over coffee maker and bean grinder for my birtbday. I'm really struggling though. My coffee tastes weak. Anyone else have a pour over they can share tips on?

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yep as recommended, check out James Hoffmann's youtube channel. He has great tutorials on grinding, pour overs and is entertaining when he goes a bit nutty.

-edit-

Also make sure you have a digital scale !! You don't need a super fancy one, just one that is consistently accurate for the amount you make.

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you, everyone. My coffee is tasting much better. I still have plenty of experimenting to do, but at least it doesn't taste like water anymore.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need to order some more beans. Any recommendations on some roasters to try out in the US? I've done Counter Culture and Black & White and enjoyed both.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I need to order some more beans. Any recommendations on some roasters to try out in the US? I've done Counter Culture and Black & White and enjoyed both.
City of Saints Coffee Roasters is my local roaster in NYC. I know they roast and deliver via Trade. I still order other coffees from around the states but I always have some of their roast on hand. They haven't missed for me, especially if you catch them when they have some light roasted Ethiopian. I'll preface by saying I'm pretty just doing pour overs with a v60.