• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I realize after my post that this conversation is exponentially difficult because grind sizes are not standard/or uniform and the Fellow in particular uses flat burrs. In the below spoiler is ultimately what I end up getting and what I'm starting to think, while good imo, is not ideal for a v60 and I'm curious how it compares to yours and others:

s1trdgZ.jpeg

Yeah, you'd need a reply from someone with the same grinder as you. But going by that photo, that looks way more coarse than what I use for my V60.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I realize after my post that this conversation is exponentially difficult because grind sizes are not standard/or uniform and the Fellow in particular uses flat burrs. In the below spoiler is ultimately what I end up getting and what I'm starting to think, while good imo, is not ideal for a v60 and I'm curious how it compares to yours and others:

s1trdgZ.jpeg

Looks a little coarse to me tbh. That's almost what I do for french press cold brew. (About the largest grind size I use).

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
When I am using my V60 and tuning in a grind, I really pay attention to how long it takes for the water to percolate down through the bed of coffee in addition to all the obvious tastes of over or under extracted coffee. Slow perc and bitter? Grind a step coarser. Quick percolation and insipid? Grind finer.

One thing about my home V60 setup is that I found that using hotter water than what you find online worked better for me to get a decent extraction out of local medium roasted beans. It's not a lot of water by volume and even if the temps are higher they go down really fast.

Everything when learning a V60 is making cups and controlling variables until you get the cup you like, then noting the settings for that particular blend.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a huge coffee person but do like me a Viet Ice coffee with Cafe du Monde. My little drip broke so I bought a French press.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When I did a V60 I'd get a ballpark based on how long the pour/draw down took to finish and then adjusted to taste finer or coarser.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
So, all in all, curious what everyone else's v60 grind size is like. If by chance you also use a Fellow Ode grinder, would love to hear your experiences.

Which version of the burrs do you have in your Ode? I have an Ode as well and used the 1.1 burrs it came with for a couple months, before upgrading to the Gen 2 burrs when those came out. (I definitely recommend upgrading to the Gen 2s if you haven't and are able, as they're both able to go much finer, and I find them less fussy to get good results with.)

I drink light roasts from various origins, and usually used somewhere in the 2--4 setting with the 1.1 burrs, and I'm working more in the 4--6 settings with the Gen 2, depending on the exact beans and brew recipe—so, pretty in-line with Fellow's recommendations, given I'm mostly doing single-dose light roasts. Both look a bit finer than in your photo, though it's hard to tell with the amount of chaff (which seems typical for Ethiopian beans). Ethiopian + V60 can be a little tricky, as the small, dense beans produce more fines even with a good grinder, which can clog a V60. I've recently found myself going a little courser with them actually, and then just adjusting my pouring steps and whatnot to get more extraction that way to make up for it.

Ultimately, when I get some new beans, I just try something and then note the draw-down time and the taste and adjust finer or coarser based on that.

Last edited:

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here make Turkish coffee? I'm thinking about purchasing an ibrik. Never had/made it before but the thicker consistency seems amazing to me.

Went to a Turkish restaurant last night and ordered a coffee with dessert, but they brought out American style coffee. Didn't realize I had to specify lol. But I really want to give this a try!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here make Turkish coffee? I'm thinking about purchasing an ibrik. Never had/made it before but the thicker consistency seems amazing to me.

Went to a Turkish restaurant last night and ordered a coffee with dessert, but they brought out American style coffee. Didn't realize I had to specify lol. But I really want to give this a try!

Just got back from Istanbul and ended up buying a cezve and some nice coffee from there. Haven't had a chance to to make some yet cause I feel ill and couldn't have coffee for a bit.

But planning to make some this week, will update with results.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California

I tried and wasn't super successful, but I think it's because I was trying to grind my own coffee. I believe you really need a super fine grind to get the coffee to foam up properly.

Ibrik's are so simple and affordable that it's not the biggest loss if it doesn't work out.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
I need to consolidate my coffee area.. I have an espresso machine w/frother (just a basic Delonghi), Keurig, Nespresso and a Moka pot. And my grinder. I also do cold brew so I have that (but keep it in another area)

I don't have a drip machine currently. My personal go to most of the time is drinking espresso (either with the Delonghi, or I make it on the stove with an espresso Moka pot). I also make cold brew.

What's a suggested unit that will replace all of that (the Keurig and Nespresso are simply for convenience)? Basically I want a great Espresso/drip machine with a frother. I've seen deals on those Brevillle machines. I obviously have a grinder, but a machine that also grinds beans would also be a plus. I'm tired of having so much clutter. I would like an option that family and friends could use though when we have people over.

I don't mind spending a little bit just to clean up the space and have a superior brew.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
What's a suggested unit that will replace all of that (the Keurig and Nespresso are simply for convenience)? Basically I want a great Espresso/drip machine with a frother. I've seen deals on those Brevillle machines. I obviously have a grinder, but a machine that also grinds beans would also be a plus. I'm tired of having so much clutter. I would like an option that family and friends could use though when we have people over.

I don't mind spending a little bit just to clean up the space and have a superior brew.

Chuck the keurig in the bin? :)

Have you looked into Automatic Espresso Machine? I've tried a few in the past that did a good cup and I've been tempted to get a Philips units ever since my wife wanted a Nespresso after getting addicted to the one at work (she never was a coffee drinker before). There are some nice high end ones from De'Longhi.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
I was literally eyeing this machine this morning but it doesn't have a built-in frother.

TrueBrew Drip Coffee Maker, Stainless/Black | De'Longhi

TrueBrew Drip Coffee Maker, Stainless/Black is an innovative, automatic coffee machine that brews drip coffee at the touch of a button. Built-in burr grinder.

This looks pretty nice. I'll have to check that out further and perhaps another model that does have a frother?

Chuck the keurig in the bin? :)

Have you looked into Automatic Espresso Machine? I've tried a few in the past that did a good cup and I've been tempted to get a Philips units ever since my wife wanted a Nespresso after getting addicted to the one at work (she never was a coffee drinker before). There are some nice high end ones from De'Longhi.
Yeah I'll be getting rid of it and the others honestly.

Is that what the De'Longhi suggested above is? If yeah then yes, that's definitely what type I'm looking for. What models have you tried?

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Is that what the De'Longhi suggested above is? If year, then yes, that's definitely what I'm looking for. What models have you tried?

No that looks to be a coffee machine first that does other drinks. I'm more refering to expresso machines that can also do other drinks.

Automatic Coffee Machine | De'Longhi

DeLonghi's automatic coffee machines allow you to personalize your favorite coffee and espresso beverages, with the press of a button. Shop now.

The ones I was more looking at were the Philips units (specifically the ones with the wand steamer instead of the latego).
www.philips.ca

Super-automatic Espresso Machines | Philips

Cappuccino, Latte, Espresso and even more - Enjoy a variety of coffee specialties made from freshly ground beans and fresh milk at the touch of a button with Philips fully automatic espresso machines. Discover our range and find the one that suits your needs.

I sadly don't exactly remember the models I tried in the past (pre covid) when a few airbnb had them (I think they were miele units).

-edit-
I should mention, I tend to prefer coffee/pour overs (I grind and make a pour over in the morning) but my wife likes more expresso drinks. I was looking at getting one of these to have something better than a nespresso in the house but also if I feel lazy I can have the machine make me an ok coffee or americano (I'm not an expresso type of person but ok with an americano).

Last edited:

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
No that looks to be a coffee machine first that does other drinks. I'm more refering to expresso machines that can also do other drinks.

DeLonghi's automatic coffee machines allow you to personalize your favorite coffee and espresso beverages, with the press of a button. Shop now.

The ones I was more looking at were the Philips units (specifically the ones with the wand steamer instead of the latego).
www.philips.ca

Cappuccino, Latte, Espresso and even more - Enjoy a variety of coffee specialties made from freshly ground beans and fresh milk at the touch of a button with Philips fully automatic espresso machines. Discover our range and find the one that suits your needs.

I sadly don't exactly remember the models I tried in the past (pre covid) when a few airbnb had them (I think they were miele units).
Ok got you. I'm new to the fancy machines hah. Appreciate the suggestions and I'll take a look!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London

Even on the finest setting of my grinder, I couldn't make Turkish coffee properly. I recommend trying to find Mehmet Efendi coffee - it's the most popular coffee brand in Istanbul, and they sell it worldwide. You can get it in lots of Turkish corner shops in London, and Amazon sells it in the UK. Not sure how available it is where you are.

71bnRkXhAML._AC_SL1474_.jpg

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the input on the Turkish coffee, everyone!

Ended up buying the Ibrik the other day as well as that exact brand of coffee, Arkestry . I was also reading how most grinders couldn't get the grind fine enough, so I figured I would just buy some preground.

Everything arrives tomorrow, so I'll post some results and my process sometime later.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone vouch for the TIMEMORE Chestnut C2 MAX hand grinder? Saw some positive reviews of it on Reddit and I'm sure it'll do a better job than my Oxo burr grinder, just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Made some today and it turned out great!!! Got some crema too.

Started with the ratios mentioned in this Middle Eats videos.

Might change things up later once I am comfortable with the timings and technique.

www.youtube.com

How To Make The Best Arabic Coffee At Home

Have you ever tried Arabic Coffee known as qahwa? It's a velvety and flavourful preparation that really allows the flavour of the beans to shine. Coffee has ...

image.png

image.png

image.png

Even on the finest setting of my grinder, I couldn't make Turkish coffee properly. I recommend trying to find Mehmet Efendi coffee - it's the most popular coffee brand in Istanbul, and they sell it worldwide. You can get it in lots of Turkish corner shops in London, and Amazon sells it in the UK. Not sure how available it is where you are.

71bnRkXhAML._AC_SL1474_.jpg

Ooh nice. That's the same brand I ended up buying cause there was a huge line outside and assumed it was the good one.

My grinder should be able to go to this fine-ness, will experiment with local roasts after I am done with this pack.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Happy Mug to get my beans, usually $22 for a two pound bag - are there other places that Era recommends for around that same price/quantity?

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018

www.philips.ca

-edit-
I should mention, I tend to prefer coffee/pour overs (I grind and make a pour over in the morning) but my wife likes more expresso drinks. I was looking at getting one of these to have something better than a nespresso in the house but also if I feel lazy I can have the machine make me an ok coffee or americano (I'm not an expresso type of person but ok with an americano).
Go figure there is a deal on the Philips 4300 series that I saw posted via Slickdeals for $550. I can definitely see the appeal of automatic machines.

I probably need to check these machines out at the retail level.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone vouch for the TIMEMORE Chestnut C2 MAX hand grinder? Saw some positive reviews of it on Reddit and I'm sure it'll do a better job than my Oxo burr grinder, just wondering if anyone has experience with it.
What are you looking for it to grind? I didn't try that one but a very similar style one for like $50 and it worked well for espresso. Decided to go with an electric one though

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Go figure there is a deal on the Philips 4300 series that I saw posted via Slickdeals for $550. I can definitely see the appeal of automatic machines.

I probably need to check these machines out at the retail level.

Thats a pretty good deal. The Philips units look to review pretty well. I'd say look to see if you have any local specialty coffee equipment stores near you to see if you can try one in person.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone got any opinions on fairly cheap hand grinders?

I've had a Hario Mini Mill for years, but the handle broke tonight and it doesn't look like they do replacements for my particular old model anymore. But it's only my travel grinder that I use 5-6 times a year when we go away somewhere, so I'm not looking for a super upgrade. It'll be used with an Aeropress exclusively.

With that in mind, I've looked around and am eyeing up the Timemore C2 (or C3), or the 1zpresso Q2, although the Q2 is a bit of a jump in price. Has anyone used one or both of those grinders and have any views on them? Or any alternatives to those?

There's also the KINGrinder K1 which is priced somewhere between the C2/3 and Q2, but I don't really know anything about that one. Apparently the Q2 fits an Aeropress really well which is a nice sounding plus but I don't know if that alone is worth 40 quid extra…

nihil

Apr 22, 2023
Anyone got any opinions on fairly cheap hand grinders?

I've had a Hario Mini Mill for years, but the handle broke tonight and it doesn't look like they do replacements for my particular old model anymore. But it's only my travel grinder that I use 5-6 times a year when we go away somewhere, so I'm not looking for a super upgrade. It'll be used with an Aeropress exclusively.

With that in mind, I've looked around and am eyeing up the Timemore C2 (or C3), or the 1zpresso Q2, although the Q2 is a bit of a jump in price. Has anyone used one or both of those grinders and have any views on them? Or any alternatives to those?

There's also the KINGrinder K1 which is priced somewhere between the C2/3 and Q2, but I don't really know anything about that one. Apparently the Q2 fits an Aeropress really well which is a nice sounding plus but I don't know if that alone is worth 40 quid extra…
The C2 is a good grinder and is easier to grind due to the burr design (Pentagonal, so breakers are spaced out further), but for the same price the K1 would do a better job with uniformity. The Q2 Heptagonal (There's also a Pentagonal version. Avoid.) is often recommended at that price point, along with the Kingrinder K6. The K1, K6 and Q2 share a similar burr design, with the latter two being heptagonal and having their "teeth" extend through the breakers (Further improving the grind). If you're looking for lowest priced grinder, then the K0 (C2 burr) is usually on sale for $33.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody have the Bambino Plus? Looks like a very solid espresso machine with cool features for my wife who just wants lattes without having to know how to steam. Don't think I need any machine just yet that has things like pressure gauges or temperature control, and I found it for only $200 so I thought I'd give it a try

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Anybody have the Bambino Plus? Looks like a very solid espresso machine with cool features for my wife who just wants lattes without having to know how to steam. Don't think I need any machine just yet that has things like pressure gauges or temperature control, and I found it for only $200 so I thought I'd give it a try
I've had one since 2018, and use it daily. Great machine.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Oh didn't realize it was that old, nice that it's been around. How well does the auto foam work? I don't even understand how it does since the wand never rises out of the milk
Auto-foam is absolutely fine, although I've found the quality varies with the milk that you buy. I try to get unhomogenised whole milk, which foams really nicely, but it's definitely acceptable with other types. In the past 6 months I've started steaming it without the auto-function to have more control, and it works well there too.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Oh didn't realize it was that old, nice that it's been around. How well does the auto foam work? I don't even understand how it does since the wand never rises out of the milk
Does it inject air in the line somewhere in the machine? I know I've seen other steam wands with barrels on them that allow air in, but this doesn't appear to have that.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Chakoo
Thanks for the help and nudge towards the super automatics. I did research and was between the Phillips 4300 w/Lattego and Delonghi Magnifica Eva. They both are great machines, but I did read that some preferred the quality of the espresso that came out of the Delonghi. That plus I was able to find a better deal on the Delonghi pushed me to the Magnifica.

I've had it for a few weeks and we're loving the machine so far!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Does it inject air in the line somewhere in the machine? I know I've seen other steam wands with barrels on them that allow air in, but this doesn't appear to have that.
Nope yea it somehow does it using just the same 4 pin holes on the bottom. Maybe injects air through there along with the steam? Excited to play with it soon. The steam wand on my Delonghi ECP3420 feels soooo weak.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Chakoo
Thanks for the help and nudge towards the super automatics. I did research and was between the Phillips 4300 w/Lattego and Delonghi Magnifica Eva. They both are great machines, but I did read that some preferred the quality of the espresso that came out of the Delonghi. That plus I was able to find a better deal on the Delonghi pushed me to the Magnifica.

I've had it for a few weeks and we're loving the machine so far!

Awesome to hear. I hope to eventually pick up a super automatic sometime later this year.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got a Cafelat Robot a few weeks ago, learning how to make decent espresso with it. Using a Comandante to grind but I kickstarted the Timemore 078s, excited to not hand grind when that comes in.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beginner and ended up with a gaggia classic pro and I'm loving it. Only using pre grounds lavazza, maybe a grinder in the future. I just got some jamaica blue mountain grinded at the supermarket, but the machine had both espresso and fine setting. Chose espresso, but it looks a bit coarse, but tastes fine. I used the non pressurized basket for first time and had no crema. Don't know if it's the coarse-ness or me.

Last edited:

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Super warming up here in the summer so I tried for the first time to make a decent iced coffee pour over with a V60 last night (decaf).

Went really, really well - did 20g coffee and 180g water brewed over 120g ice with a couple of cubes added in after the brew. Oatmilk and vanilla syrup (VERY small amount of the latter) for some stuggle-Starbucks without a zillion calories.

I still enjoy a hot weekday pour over in the morning or mokapot on the weekends but after an hour walk in 90 degree heat you just wanna not drink anything hot for hours. :/

edit: I also ordered a Fellow Ode v2 last night, I finally told myself I would never go super automatic despite being the biggest Miele fanboy I know and I disliked the mess and noise my current grinder made.

Last edited:

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I was gifted some beans from the Philippines and they just ran out this week.

Locally grown variety known as barako - very strong, but really full bodied and smooth, no rough edges or caffeine overload. I will have to try and find some more, I really enjoyed them.

Still bouncing between the Clever Dripper and the Aeropress, mostly depending on the quantity I'm looking for. I like the aeropress but I wish it had more capacity.

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de
I like the aeropress but I wish it had more capacity.
For a larger brew I use a James Hoffmann method, where he suggests putting 22 grams coffee in it and pour 240 grams of water. Put on the "press cylinder" (what's the name of the thing?) and let it steep for 4 minutes and press after 30 more seconds. Afterwards you should pour another 160 grams of water over your concentrated brew. Of course you'll need a carafe or some big vessel for this procedure.

I made very nice coffees with this method. Can recommend.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
What espresso machines do people like here? I want to buy one badly for the house and not have to use pods or the stove.

Fireye

Oct 26, 2017
What espresso machines do people like here? I want to buy one badly for the house and not have to use pods or the stove.

I got a second hand Gaggia Classic before the pandemic, and it's been good to me. It's a pretty good entry point I think, but has a few drawbacks, like a small boiler and inconsistent temps. Some of the issues can be fixed by after-market mods or prepping a certain way, but I think they're far from necessary.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
For a larger brew I use a James Hoffmann method, where he suggests putting 22 grams coffee in it and pour 240 grams of water. Put on the "press cylinder" (what's the name of the thing?) and let it steep for 4 minutes and press after 30 more seconds. Afterwards you should pour another 160 grams of water over your concentrated brew. Of course you'll need a carafe or some big vessel for this procedure.

I made very nice coffees with this method. Can recommend.

Yeah I've been doing something similar with the Aeropress, but it's so much simpler if you have a device with larger capacity, like the Clever Dripper.

I regularly get 380ml in there without any issue.

Think I might be a bit odd in wanting such large coffees though. Almost every device (and many of the 'nicer' coffee cups) cater for a capacity I would consider way too small, but I think that makes me the odd one out, not everyone else.

Edit:

Put on the "press cylinder" (what's the name of the thing?)

Plunger maybe?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I got a second hand Gaggia Classic before the pandemic, and it's been good to me. It's a pretty good entry point I think, but has a few drawbacks, like a small boiler and inconsistent temps. Some of the issues can be fixed by after-market mods or prepping a certain way, but I think they're far from necessary.

Inconsistent temps might be bother me. How bad is it? Can it come out cold?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

No. You are looking at the temp swinging between maybe 90c and 100c. It's not gonna come out cold ever. If you say decide to turn on the machine and start pulling shots after 20minutes each day, you will end up at a similar temp Each day.

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
No. You are looking at the temp swinging between maybe 90c and 100c. It's not gonna come out cold ever. If you say decide to turn on the machine and start pulling shots after 20minutes each day, you will end up at a similar temp Each day.

I'm tempted to get this on Amazon but too concerned about refurbished. I see Breville Bambino on sale at Williams Sonoma for around the same price and I'm tempted to get that since it's new but don't know much about this product.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to get this on Amazon but too concerned about refurbished. I see Breville Bambino on sale at Williams Sonoma for around the same price and I'm tempted to get that since it's new but don't know much about this product.

I bought a refurbished one from whole latte love like 8 years ago for about $300. Still going strong! (And this is after I made modifications to it 3 years in.)

They are built well and easily self repairable for minor issues.

Breville Bambino also not a bad option but the gcp does have a more standard sized portafilter.

Last edited:

Fireye

Oct 26, 2017

For me, the main issue with temps are when I'm frothing milk. If I'm using my smaller carafe then it isn't an issue, but if I'm using my large one to serve multiple people it can be a problem. The machine gets up to steam temp and turns off the heat, but it's not enough steam for the large container, so I lose out on steam partway through. The solution I've used to get around this problem is to start frothing the milk before the machine says it's ready (and turns off the heat), then when it loses temp the heating element is already powering along.

I think it takes somewhere between 25 and 30s to reach "ready" temp for steam/frothing, so I time it to start the milk a little bit before then.

Edit: And I'll say in case you aren't aware, the grinder is one of the most important pieces of your espresso kit. Getting a good consistent grind is very important in how your espresso turns out. Gaggia includes a pressurized basket, which can help with bad grinds, but is (I think) generally frowned on by espresso enthusiasts.

What are you planning to do for your grinder if you don't have one yet?