• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Nope.

Was done with him after he doubled down on a bad sexist joke.

Was double done with him after he started spouting racial stereotypes to deny white supremacy.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just because this is resetera im not gonna give jontron another chance out of nowhere

no danka
Maybe if he didn't throw a hissy fit on [REDACTED] when people were simply talking to him and trying to get him to substantiate himself, instead he went on a screed of masturbatory "WELL WHAT DO YOU DO FOR SOCIETY AND HELPING PEOPLE IMPROVE IN THEIR DAY TO DAY LIVES" then took his ball and went home when people told him...

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I don't see that post as him being reflective of the past, it reads more like he's making excuses about back-tracking on his tantrum and decision to not cover video games. I have a strong dislike about his opinions and thoughts about either politics or the game industry.

Shine

Oct 26, 2017
ResetEra is a new start for relationships from an old message board. It is not to give a sexist alt right fuckhead a "second chance" where he does not deserve one. That op is Yikes.
I think calling him alt right is a little far fetched but that is just my opinion. I personally have enjoyed his work throughout the years and wish him the best.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
he went on g*f shortly after the Colin was right stuff and instead of answering literally any criticism accused it of being an echo chamber and left back to... twitter and his gaggle of followers. :thinking:
I remember watching that thread, I also remember him saying "show me proof as to where I said xyz" and then someone posted a very highly detailed list of everything that he had talked about (I think it was about the Pro?) and not once did Colin acknowledge that post.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to him on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day and he's actually got some really terrible opinions! I didn't mind his smug condescension when he was talking games but he really does a great job embodying white male privilege despite how much he claims to dislike Trump.

It's this exactly ... When he was talking to Glenn Beck, of all people, he said this:

"To me, it's personal freedom, responsibility, the right to succeed, and the right to fail. And the right to express yourself freely, without having to worry about being called a bigot or being called a sexist, as I was for making a silly joke."

Basically, he's saying he believes in personal responsibility and that people will fail sometimes -- except for him, because he didn't take personal responsibility and so he failed ... But it wasn't fair that it happened to him. Wtf? He has zero self awareness, but he's completely arrogant and living off of white male privilege -- and he gets angry when anyone challenges his privilege.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So does he get this money AND the money from his existing Patreon? Or are they the same thing?

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can disagree with his political views, but he offered alot of PS knowledge on Beyond and PS I Love You. Calling him a gross person because his political views don't align with yours is not a fair assessment IMO. I thought he was a good balance to Greg on KF. And yeah he still seems pissed off at him...
The moment you extrapolate political views because you know they're the wrong kind of views you lose the argument.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing he's going back since his patreon likely dried up.
He's kind of a gross person so I wouldn't look forward to his views in any case

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean 90 minutes of content on the California secession didn't pan out into a career of punditry on some shitty news network?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
6Lfp4F.gif

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, this isnt like Kanye where you can easily enjoy content despite the creator being an asshole. Colins personality and opinions ARE his content, and ignoring the sexism and racism hes spewed because u wanna hear about da vedeo gaemz is shady and probably one of the things keeping him going without actually changing any of his shittyness.

He should be ignored or mocked for his ignorance and not given the "I love his video game critique so ill support him despite his baggage." Shtick

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same. Don't care about his politics and enjoyed KF 1000x more when he was on.

Bigotry is not a political position, so I don't know why you think that's a useful escape hatch for this discussion. The dude has shown his stripes and clearly won't be changing them any time soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He really doesn't offer much to gaming discourse that you couldn't find in the YouTube comments section but some people want that with better presentation and that's okay. It's just not for me. Hard to respect the dude after that Mass Effect 3 video and some of his other internet bullshit.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean 90 minutes of content on the California secession didn't pan out into a career of punditry on some shitty news network?
I NEVER do this with Patreon people. If you're making your money obviously someone somewhere there is a market for it, good for you, get your paper, work your hustle.

But his shit is literally just still images edited over a cut together video of him talking in his living room, like come on guys...

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Could 100% see this coming with his recent post about how bad games journalism is, surprise he's here to fix it!

Yeah no thanks. This guy's terrible opinions rooted in being a contrarian have been awful since IGN days, and the persecution complex he has just makes it even more annoying.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think calling him alt right is a little far fetched but that is just my opinion. I personally have enjoyed his work throughout the years and wish him the best.
So you wish a guy who is actively sexist and has been racist and hasnt apologized for any of it "the best"? Ok. Maybe hes not alt right, hes still a really awful person.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
His opinion isn't worth any more than any poster here to be honest. Plus isn't this some sort of self-promotion rule thingy with that blatant Patreon link lol

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
do patrons who support him at the highest level get a signed and framed picture of his "day without women" tweet?

Tadpole

Oct 29, 2017
I will be watching where this goes. Thought he was entertaining on PS I Love You but thought he bragged about his industry connections too much.

Shine

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen anything that would make me think he is a racist but would love to see evidence of this.

OP
OP
Insanexer

Insanexer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been following him for a few years now and I'm always interested to hear what he has to say. Do I agree all the time? No. Does he come off as contrarian, arrogant, dismissive, and disingenuous sometimes? Sure. But I still like to hear him out. I prefer to hear his opinions on the industry at large as opposed to individual games. I don't fully understand the extent of the hate he gets.

He had a great discussion with Jason Schreier on his prior YouTube show so hopefully he can reach that level of quality again.
This comment is fair and constructive. It's not just an "f off" to Colin drive by comment. KF lost a bunch in Patreon $ after he left. He has a base of supporters and to merely dismiss him or blanket his supporters as a-holes is simply silly and inaccurate.

Oct 25, 2017
Just like Milo, sometimes these people are like picking off a tick. You think the problem is gone, but the head is still in there spreading its poison, just waiting to make a resurgence.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting that 3 certain names were not mentioned in the post...
I reread that multiple times to make sure I wasnt just missing something. Seems really petty and sad that he purposely went out of his way to mention a bunch of peoples names only to make sure to not mention the three friends he left most recently. I actually never had a big issue with him and I got nervous thinking this would be a return to Kinda Funny but I am actually happy with where Greg and Tim and company have landed with KF and I actually tune in every show versus before where Colin was kinda becoming a slog.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I respect his gaming opinions, and if video games existed in a vacuum I'd be interested in his work again. But video games don't exist in a vacuum.

He should probably go back to our former home. I'd bet they'd be very welcoming of him over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.