• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man GotG has been awesome. Shaw is quickly becoming one of Marvel's best artists too. I really dont want to see him leave the book.
EDIT: just checked the solicits, glad to see hes still on the book by #7!

Flipped through Daredevil and it looks great too.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Doomsday Clock readers just can't catch a break.

I forgot all about that SS mini from Cates. That'll be some good shit.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm trade waiting for Doomsday Clock.

ilNEDCE.gif

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
They added the first issue to CMXU last week. Thought that was pretty funny. Shows how long it's taking.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man Secret Wars is so awesome. Wish we had gotten to stay in that world longer than we did. I guess technically it was longer than Age of Apocalypse. But the difference in my eyes is that AoA was a well coordinated storyline, with multiple people all playing in the same world, and each built on what the other was doing. SW feels more like Hickman doing his thing, and everyone else trying to do something real quick that doesnt add up to much. There are a few exceptions of course.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
hey No Depth didn't you have a "road to final crisis" reading order or something similar? now that DCU has so much stuff I was thinking of looking into that

Oct 25, 2017
Man GotG has been awesome. Shaw is quickly becoming one of Marvel's best artists too. I really dont want to see him leave the book.
EDIT: just checked the solicits, glad to see hes still on the book by #7!

Flipped through Daredevil and it looks great too.

Daredevil was great. It'll be Marvel's best book by the end of the first trade the way it's going so far. Very intrigued. Checchetto's art is OUTSTANDING and Chip is really bringing it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
How come Viz doesn't release more VizBigs of their Shoneners Jumpers? I'd totally kill some VizBig of Shaman Jump, Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter X Hunter so I can finally read that.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
How come Viz doesn't release more VizBigs of their Shoneners Jumpers? I'd totally kill some VizBig of Shaman Jump, Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter X Hunter so I can finally read that.
After those came out they just started doing regular oversized collections for their popular books.

I still need to pick up the Yu-Gi-Oh collection before it becomes hard to find.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
hey No Depth didn't you have a "road to final crisis" reading order or something similar? now that DCU has so much stuff I was thinking of looking into that

Here you go!

http://crisis2crisis.com/

I read it all last year(with extra stuff not listed as well) and can recommend some exceptions if you wish to shorten this massive list.

A lot of it isn't totally required and some is included on the basis a character shows up on a page or two in IC...so a lot of superfluous setup. Still, most all is good reading of you want to read some classic DC. (ie. you don't need to read all of Animal Man by Morrison for the Crisis story as in this list...but it's good if you haven't).

I started with CoIE and skipped the stuff beforehand(Golden/Silver Age).
Definitely make sure to read 'Adam Strange: Planet Heist' before Rann-Thanagar(during IC lead-in) if you choose to go through Infinite Crisis. It's pretty vital for context for that plotline, but isn't usually collected. Dumb.

That list also kind of ends with 52 and doesn't go all the way to Final Crisis, but you mostly are just looking at Grant Morrison's Batman and Seven Soldiers Run for that gap. Also, I think Johns' Green Lantern early arc. (I took a break after 52 and will get back to it once vol. 2 Omni of Morrison's Batman hits this summer) Plenty of guides all around the internet for Final Crisis prep reading if you need exact order of that stuff.

Feel free to ask about any of that stuff.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Did you get your Sidonia Master Edition?
Yeah, the person I got it from shipped it the next day. Dude was pretty legit.

BeEXTnq.jpg

oA4cNL1.jpg

One of the corners is a little bent but that was because of Amazon since the same bent was in the picture he posted on Reddit. I'm fine with it since it was $5 dollars, I mean, I'll never find a better deal on it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the person I got it from shipped it the next day. Dude was pretty legit.

BeEXTnq.jpg

oA4cNL1.jpg

One of the corners is a little bent but that was because of Amazon since the same bent was in the picture he posted on Reddit. I'm fine with it since it was $5 dollars, I mean, I'll never find a better deal on it.
Nice! Yea Amazon shipping has totally gone to shit.

Oct 25, 2017
That was the exact line that broke my heart. I always felt he had passion about the medium but he came across as disinterested.
I think you'd be surprised at how few, if any, comics some high profile creators actively read. A lot of creators put in a lot of hours so keeping up with current comic series can feel a little more like work.
After thinking about it a bit more, I think Hickman's Fantastic Four and especially his FF Future Foundation stuff was better than his Avengers and New Avengers run overall. I would need to re-read his FF stuff to make a better judgement, but I dont have time for all that. His Avengers had much higher highs, but also much lower lows. Infinity, the beginning of Eight Months Later, and Secret Wars were the best parts imo. Also it didnt help that the artists seemed to get worse and worse as the run went on.
Hickman's FF work was better than his Avengers but I also think his Avengers work was more difficult to pull off. Deodato's consistent appearance as line artist in the Avengers rotation was unwelcome. What a step down from Opena and Weaver

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hickman's FF work was better than his Avengers but I also think his Avengers work was more difficult to pull off. Deodato's consistent appearance as line artist in the Avengers rotation was unwelcome. What a step down from Opena and Weaver
I mean sure. He introduced a ton of great ideas. But at the end, a lot of stuff was just dropped, or didnt amount to much. The thing that really turned me off from really loving it though was Eight Months Later. He spent a ton of time on some really boring stories in the main Avengers book leading up to it, then introduces a ton of awesome plot lines with that first eight months later issue that are just never covered.

He could have just dropped the arcs with AIM before 8ML and all the lifebomb things that the Alph guy sent to earth. The only things that came out of those plotlins of any importance were the Mapmakers from what I can remember, and even then they ended up being kind of a waste. Also that random Pod weapon robot thing lol. After 8ML it just reappears and theres a girl inside it now, wtf!?

Im not a Deodato fan, but I did really enjoy his two early stories, before Infinity. Theres that really cool horror story, then theres the heist with Shang Chi. I thought he was a good fit for both of those stories.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Solicit said that his rogue gallery grows

True that is why I'm leaning more towards a new character. Though when you think about it, Maker really would make sense as a villain for Miles since they're both survivors. But then, Marvel is kind of silently distancing Miles from being from the Ultimate Universe. Bendis was the only person insisting on trying to keep that a thing.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna throw everything in spoiler tags since I know there's folks working through it all.

On the whole the last issue was really well done and the only way things could have ended. My bigger issues are with the cycle as a whole and how it was basically a Hellboy book with the Bureau there as set dressing and cannon fodder. Donniewahlberg and I were talking about it a lot yesterday, and he pointed out you could pull out all the stuff with Hellboy and Ed and then the final issue and have had a really nice Hellboy mini that puts a bow on it all. It's like Mignola knew the ending for *his* characters but had no idea what to do with everyone Arcudi created, so they were all unceremoniously killed off with nary a reaction to be seen. For a book that always treated character deaths as a big deal, the deaths of Ashley, Howard's, Abe, et al, really felt cheap. It was like Mignola was clearing the board to time Hellboy his big moment and the hell with everyone else.

That actually brings up my one issue with the finale, the thought that Liz was just hanging out in limbo waiting for HB to give his permission for her to cleanse the world. Liz had so much growth over BPRD, to see her stripped of all agency and essentially revert back to her old state was a bit disheartening. Arcudi's Liz wouldn't have given it a second thought, she would have incinerated everything (including herself) if that's what she thought it took.

And I will never understand why they brought Abe back only to have him hang out in the background and then die in the water all over again.

Honestly everything should have ended with the finales of Abe's solo book, Hell on Earth, and in Hell. Other than the last issue I don't see myself ever going back to The Devil You Know.
Yeah, I agree on pretty much everything you said (especially the character criticisms, some of the handling felt hollow). I was actually about to put that it felt like a Hellboy ending moreso than what I expected for the run lol, so we're on the same page.
Man I need to catch up on BPRD. I hate not being part of all these discussions! I stopped somewhere in the Hell on Earth arc. I feel almost of just re-reading it all
You should; I kind of want to myself, but I can't really justify doing it right now... But so many great moments in the series. It's certainly my favorite team book along with Morrison's Doom Patrol. So it's in good company in my mind!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
About 70% done with Kyle Baker's Plastic Man, and I really don't want it to end. It has far exceeded my expectations.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
About 70% done with Kyle Baker's Plastic Man, and I really don't want it to end. It has far exceeded my expectations.
It's soooo good. I had the same feelings when reading it.

If you want more, definitely seek out some of Baker's other works. You Are Here, Why I Hate Saturn, and I Die At Midnight are fantastic. They're all out of print so you might have to go digital unless you want to buy used copies.

You Are Here is my favorite. It's a delightful OGN.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Grant used to read comics all the time, though. In fact, at one point he exclusively read cape comics when he wasn't reading novels and stuff.
People change, man. It's good. It's healthy. He'll likely come back around once he finds something that excites him again. Lets be real. The big two are in a weird era right now. Everything feels like it's in transition at all times. Even as someone that keeps up it's exhausting to see happen.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
True that is why I'm leaning more towards a new character. Though when you think about it, Maker really would make sense as a villain for Miles since they're both survivors. But then, Marvel is kind of silently distancing Miles from being from the Ultimate Universe. Bendis was the only person insisting on trying to keep that a thing.
I'd prefer Maker stay over in Venom. The tone of that book allows him to be more of the absolute bastard he is intended to be.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I mean sure. He introduced a ton of great ideas. But at the end, a lot of stuff was just dropped, or didnt amount to much. The thing that really turned me off from really loving it though was Eight Months Later. He spent a ton of time on some really boring stories in the main Avengers book leading up to it, then introduces a ton of awesome plot lines with that first eight months later issue that are just never covered.

He could have just dropped the arcs with AIM before 8ML and all the lifebomb things that the Alph guy sent to earth. The only things that came out of those plotlins of any importance were the Mapmakers from what I can remember, and even then they ended up being kind of a waste. Also that random Pod weapon robot thing lol. After 8ML it just reappears and theres a girl inside it now, wtf!?

Im not a Deodato fan, but I did really enjoy his two early stories, before Infinity. Theres that really cool horror story, then theres the heist with Shang Chi. I thought he was a good fit for both of those stories.

A lot of that stuff got picked up by Ewing. Hickman didn't just write his own story, he left seeds planted for future writers to maybe pick up. Some were, some weren't, it happens

Oct 25, 2017

Stoked to read it. I'm reading through all of Slott's Spider-Man right now, alternating a few issues at a time with X-Statix. So when I'm done with X-Statix I'll move over to DCU and alternate Plastic Man with Spidey. All of Plastic Man's issues were in my CMX wishlist for FOREVER, waiting for a BOGO to buy them all, so I'm really happy it was one of the first things added to DCU when they expanded the catalog

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to take advantage of the Dauterman sale on Cmx and bought up all of Jane Thor. I only had the the last trade left to read but I figured I may as well get it all and jettison the physical trades taking up room on my shelf.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

I like comics but I have never been a hardcore fan. I wish to get back to it and make discover comics to my girlfriend as well.

She is a fashion designer, have you got any suggestions for a comic ( particularly a graphic novel) with these themes or at least with a great sense of fashion to recommend?

I would even take fantasy\sci fi stuff with crazy clothing.

Thank you in advance

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

I like comics but I have never been a hardcore fan. I wish to get back to it and make discover comics to my girlfriend as well.

She is a fashion designer, have you got any suggestions for a comic ( particularly a graphic novel) with these themes or at least with a great sense of fashion to recommend?

I would even take fantasy\sci fi stuff with crazy clothing.

Thank you in advance

Snotgirl from image comics is a wonderful comic about vapid fashion bloggers and models. Leslie Hung has a great fashion sense on art. Two volumes are collected right now.

Lady Killer by Joelle Jones has a great old school vibe. Get art is stunning. Beware that one can get very violent.

Wicked + The Divine has great fashion and the story is really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.