• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Are Magik and Laura are the most recent examples of X-men who've managed to escape "X-kid/X-those guys over there" status?

Or would it be Cannonball and Decosta?
Sunspot and Magik. Cannonball was way back in Mike Carey's run.

Oh boy, X-Men Red gets marginalized.

Magneto did this in Blue
I give up trying to find a comic YT channel that doesn't talk about how "SJWs are ruining" whatever.
I had to unsub Gem Mint because of it too.
I like Comics Explained. Just summaries of new comic arcs. It's fun.
God is it weird that the costumes were decided by limited twitter polls
I'm still miffed as to how Cyke is back in his 90s look when Astonishing, NOW, and Ultimate are all worlds better.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, finally done with Grell's Green Arrow (Longbow Hunters, 1-80, and the Wonder Years). It's... good! It reminds me a lot of Miller's Daredevil - the back-to-basics story, the gritty tone, even the extremely 80s flirtation with orientalism. Since it's a good 6-7 years after that Daredevil, it's nowhere near as groundbreaking, and it doesn't really have the same consistency. It feels like part of the overall trend of late 80s/early 90s "dark" comics, but before the artistry was sort of tossed out the window.

It does feel like the spiritual successor to the Adams/O'Neil run, with emphasis on current events. It makes the book very dated, more than a little cheesy, and immensely unsubtle. But I love that about it. George HW Bush is the president, the Gulf War comes and goes, the Cold War is omnipresent, the PLA and the IRA and the CIA and all sorts of organizations pop up. In tandem with the Wonder Years it specifically dates Ollie - he's in college in the 60s, he first becomes Green Arrow while Nixon is in office, he and Hal travel across in the country in the 70s, and by the time the story ends he's pushing 50 and headfirst into a midlife crisis.

I like old Ollie. I like the sense of history that, even post-Crisis, is everywhere. And this despite having no explicit references to ANYTHING in the DC universe. Hal Jordan shows up once or twice, but he's just... Hal. No magic space rings, no costume, no heroics, just Ollie's old friend. The whole thing is entirely self-contained, enough that it could be a standalone universe, but build on a bedrock of 40+ years of stories.

Art is probably its weakspot - other than Longbow Hunters and a single issue midway through the run, Grell is purely on writing duties, and that's a real letdown. There's a few standout artists (Hoberg being my favorite), and the run keeps a consistent look and feel.

I can see why it's definitive for the character, and I'd recommend Longbow Hunters at least to just about anyone who likes the character. Fingers crossed we get a Grell Omnibus (or, more likely, a set of three) sometime in the future. I'd love to pick up a nice edition. Next up I've got the early 2000s run, with Kevin Smith's run and the start of Meltzer's. And that'll be it for my "core Green Arrow" runthrough!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ahmed Miles Morales was a really great first issue. I'm so glad someone new - a person of color no less - is writing him now.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Two posts in a row with differing opinions?

This community is Doomed
xBmbOcq.gif

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'll start a YouTube channel where I'll talk about comics, but only in the context of politics. But like politics that don't matter.

Marvel Manhattan Should Really Set Up Zoning For SuperHero Crossover Brawls
How Do You Tax a Superhero?
What Statutes and Limitations Apply To US Agent?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'll start a YouTube channel where I'll talk about comics, but only in the context of politics. But like politics that don't matter.

Is the Baxter Building dangerous under OSHA?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Is the Baxter Building dangerous under OSHA?
Is the Batmobile running up fuel prices? Infinite energy crisis!

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is correct and it's also why Nightwing is the jam. He's the lynchpin. The first sidekick. He's been on the Justice League and the Titans. The problem is all DC story idea are isolating Dick Grayson. You want to go in the opposite direction. Play up the connections. Nightwing should be "DC Team-Up" half the time.

That's Earth 2 Batman from the Society, right?

CYCLOPS BACK IN CHARGE AND HE'S GOT A PLAN

Nightwing should always be on phone or texting some superhero.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys prefer lettering with all caps, or writing that's more like a book, with the first letter of a sentence and proper nouns capitalized and everything else lower case?

I hate the latter, personally. Give me all-caps PLEASE.

So, finally done with Grell's Green Arrow (Longbow Hunters, 1-80, and the Wonder Years). It's... good! It reminds me a lot of Miller's Daredevil - the back-to-basics story, the gritty tone, even the extremely 80s flirtation with orientalism. Since it's a good 6-7 years after that Daredevil, it's nowhere near as groundbreaking, and it doesn't really have the same consistency. It feels like part of the overall trend of late 80s/early 90s "dark" comics, but before the artistry was sort of tossed out the window.

It does feel like the spiritual successor to the Adams/O'Neil run, with emphasis on current events. It makes the book very dated, more than a little cheesy, and immensely unsubtle. But I love that about it. George HW Bush is the president, the Gulf War comes and goes, the Cold War is omnipresent, the PLA and the IRA and the CIA and all sorts of organizations pop up. In tandem with the Wonder Years it specifically dates Ollie - he's in college in the 60s, he first becomes Green Arrow while Nixon is in office, he and Hal travel across in the country in the 70s, and by the time the story ends he's pushing 50 and headfirst into a midlife crisis.

I like old Ollie. I like the sense of history that, even post-Crisis, is everywhere. And this despite having no explicit references to ANYTHING in the DC universe. Hal Jordan shows up once or twice, but he's just... Hal. No magic space rings, no costume, no heroics, just Ollie's old friend. The whole thing is entirely self-contained, enough that it could be a standalone universe, but build on a bedrock of 40+ years of stories.

Art is probably its weakspot - other than Longbow Hunters and a single issue midway through the run, Grell is purely on writing duties, and that's a real letdown. There's a few standout artists (Hoberg being my favorite), and the run keeps a consistent look and feel.

I can see why it's definitive for the character, and I'd recommend Longbow Hunters at least to just about anyone who likes the character. Fingers crossed we get a Grell Omnibus (or, more likely, a set of three) sometime in the future. I'd love to pick up a nice edition. Next up I've got the early 2000s run, with Kevin Smith's run and the start of Meltzer's. And that'll be it for my "core Green Arrow" runthrough!
I would argue that its storytelling is groundbreaking. It was EXTREMELY rare in comics to have two+ pages with zero dialogue or exposition back then, yet Grell did it all the time. Nowadays, visual-first storytelling is common, but Grell was kind of a pioneer for it in the late 80s.

Last edited:

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first black hammer trade. It was really good.

Not sure where Ormstrom came from but his art is superb.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Smart putting Jim Lee on the Kevin Smith story for Tec #1000 lol. He writes so much text that Lee will only have to draw like 4 panels.
Given how fast they both work they were likely originally slated for Detective 900 and will barely get their story in at the deadline for 1000. I like them both, but it's hard to think of a slower pair of writer/artist to put together.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Extermination, Infinity Wars, The Life of Captain Marvel, Defenders and Spider-Geddon all end tomorrow.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Extermination, Infinity Wars, The Life of Captain Marvel, Defenders and Spider-Geddon all end tomorrow.

3/5...Not bad.

Extermination has been good, lovely art and giving people what they want finally in regards to the originals.

The Life of Captain Marvel has been a really good miniseries, gives Carol a new start and its nice to finally have a good Carol story post Kelly Sue (I loved Kelly Sues run don't @ me ).

I want to know what the hell is happening in Defenders but ever one shot was cool especially Hulk.

--
Speaking of Captain Marvel. I have loved Amanda Conners covers for the new series so far. I wish Marvel made statues so they could do this version of her.

I see Lee Garbett is doing an issue of Avengers. That should be nice.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
3/5...Not bad.

Extermination has been good, lovely art and giving people what they want finally in regards to the originals.

The Life of Captain Marvel has been a really good miniseries, gives Carol a new start and its nice to finally have a good Carol story post Kelly Sue (I loved Kelly Sues run don't @ me ).

I want to know what the hell is happening in Defenders but ever one shot was cool especially Hulk.

--
Speaking of Captain Marvel. I have loved Amanda Conners covers for the new series so far. I wish Marvel made statues so they could do this version of her.

I see Lee Garbett is doing an issue of Avengers. That should be nice.
Life of Captain Marvel is going to be the book to recommend to people after the movie releases outside of the new ongoing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So IDW Transformers is rebooting. Itll be a twice monthly release.
And it will begin exploring the very moment when a glorious, peaceful Cybertron begins its downward spiral into chaos.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/idw-transformers-reboot/

IDW Publishing have announced they will restart their "Transformers" comic book line with a new ongoing series. Simply titled "Transformers," the twice-monthly comic will be written by Scottish novelist Brian Ruckley, with art by Angel Hernandez and Ron Joseph, and it will explore the origins of the war between the Autobots and the Decepticons.

Not exactly the setting I would like to read about, but it might work more than I think it will. I always preferred them on Earth. Also never heard of either of these creators.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Life of Captain Marvel is going to be the book to recommend to people after the movie releases outside of the new ongoing.

Yeah it is. I don't think the Kelly Thompson book will be. It looks like the first arc of that won't look anything like the movie. Looks like it will be awesome tho.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Did you watch Travelers Season 3 yet?
Yeah. I finished a couple days ago. I'm now finishing up Season 2 of Versailles.
Sure, if you assume the headband is the same and nothing else.
Thematically, she's very similar. Don't hide behind semantics.
oh shit, someone else watches Travelers?
Indeed. I totally thought it was cancelled until Season 3 popped up on Netflix.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
After reading The Best Defence : Dr Strange... We need Greg Smallwood on a Dr Strange book. It was so beautiful.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me how doomsday clock hasn't been one giant prologue for another event when we're coming onto issue 9 and it feels like nothing has happened.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Certainly a unique lineup if nothing else

I have mad respect for Rosenberg. I wish I felt differently, and because I see him as one of the good guys, I wanted to say kind words, but this... this is not for me, I have so many things to say and I don't even know where to start. I'll try to list it:

1. What the hell happened with Sal Larroca's art? In fact, what happened with the art of EVERYONE doing art for Uncanny X-Men?
    I know, it's rushed to keep an insane schedule.
  2. I love Cyclops 90's costume and Wolverine's brown and tan costume. When Jordan White was making a poll for what were the favorite costumes for the characters, I voted for both. That doesn't mean that I'd want them back, they look dated as all kinds of hell. Don't give fans what they want, give them what they need. And by that I mean if you want to bring those ideas back, get someone to do a decent job revamping those costumes, the X-Men are on the verge of getting into the MCU, stop being petty on not throwing money at these books.
  3. This team is an absolute clusterfuck. Zombie Banshee?! Warlock Moonstar?! Really?! Why should I even care about new freaking mutants becoming the "uncanny" X-Men in freaking 2019? And I fucking love the New Mutants, but holy shit how was this even approved?
  4. Also, stop trying to make the Multiple Man happen as an X-Men, it's not gonna happen. If you want Multiple Man in a team so bad, give Peter David the X-Factor back, or I don't know, get Gail Simone to make him a cool supporting cast for Domino. HELL, give Gail Simone the freaking X-Force book while you are at it. MONTHLY, please.

It guts me to even post this. I feel bad for saying it because it's clear to me that Rosenberg is giving his all. But that's... that's not how you make a flagship X-Men team. I get that Rosenberg is a huge X-Men nerd and that this is his dream job. Mahmud Asrar and R.B. Silva are especially talented artists, and I'm a fan of Rosenberg, Brisson and Thompson, but they were thrown to the wolves here. That's not what the X-Men needed, that's an incredible misstep by Marvel and while the sales were there for the first issue and will be for some time, this isn't the kind of buzz that you want:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...ch-keeps-getting-worse-uncanny-x-men-3-review

Three up and coming new talents are getting torned apart and that's because the truth is neither of these 3 are ready to be writing a flagship book like this, most of all as a weekly. This is very different than the team of somewhat seasoned and tested writers that took over Spider-Man with the Spider-Brain-Trust in One More Day. There you had Dan Slott, Bob Gale (the freaking Back to the Future writer), Joe Kelly, Marc Guggenheim (already a comic book and TV name) and I don't even remember who else. Those are seasoned writers with experience enough to deal with ONE character as the central focus.

The X-Men relaunch needs a seasoned writer. Someone experienced with team books that hasn't really written the X-Men before. I get that Rosenberg is a fan, that the backlash is hurting him and I can definitely see him becoming one of the greats within Marvel Comics or the industry eventually. But neither these writers are there yet to take over X-Men, especially in a weekly format.

Do you want to revamp the Uncanny X-Men and make people go nuts? EASY Marvel. Two flagship books. Get Jonathan Hickman to write both. Do this:

avengers-covers-1-3.jpg

554c8adba5d2a3b982c0475597de38e0._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

But with the X-Men instead. Make it critically acclaimed, not just a book that gets rushed with bad art from GREAT artists drawing it. Don't fuck up with your own up and coming talent like that. Making "the dream" of writers happen when they are clearly not ready to storm the pressure that a book like this has is precisely what is going on here. And ah, give Rosenberg a book with the New Mutants characters and for fuck's sake they aren't the new mutants anymore. That book was released in the freaking eighties, let him come up with a new name, and no, it's not the freaking uncanny X-Men.

/rant off.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I have mad respect for Rosenberg. I wish I felt differently, and because I see him as one of the good guys, I wanted to say kind words, but this... this is not for me, I have so many things to say and I don't even know where to start. I'll try to list it:

1. What the hell happened with Sal Larroca's art? In fact, what happened with the art of EVERYONE doing art for Uncanny X-Men?
    I know, it's rushed to keep an insane schedule.
  2. I love Cyclops 90's costume and Wolverine's brown and tan costume. When Jordan White was making a poll for what were the favorite costumes for the characters, I voted for both. That doesn't mean that I'd want them back, they look dated as all kinds of hell. Don't give fans what they want, give them what they need. And by that I mean if you want to bring those ideas back, get someone to do a decent job revamping those costumes, the X-Men are on the verge of getting into the MCU, stop being petty on not throwing money at these books.
  3. This team is an absolute clusterfuck. Zombie Banshee?! Warlock Moonstar?! Really?! Why should I even care about new freaking mutants becoming the "uncanny" X-Men in freaking 2019? And I fucking love the New Mutants, but holy shit how was this even approved?
  4. Also, stop trying to make the Multiple Man happen as an X-Men, it's not gonna happen. If you want Multiple Man in a team so bad, give Peter David the X-Factor back, or I don't know, get Gail Simone to make him a cool supporting cast for Domino. HELL, give Gail Simone the freaking X-Force book while you are at it. MONTHLY, please.

It guts me to even post this. I feel bad for saying it because it's clear to me that Rosenberg is giving his all. But that's... that's not how you make a flagship X-Men team. I get that Rosenberg is a huge X-Men nerd and that this is his dream job. Mahmud Asrar and R.B. Silva are especially talented artists, and I'm a fan of Rosenberg, Brisson and Thompson, but they were thrown to the wolves here. That's not what the X-Men needed, that's an incredible misstep by Marvel and while the sales were there for the first issue and will be for some time, this isn't the kind of buzz that you want:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...ch-keeps-getting-worse-uncanny-x-men-3-review

Three up and coming new talents are getting torned apart and that's because the truth is neither of these 3 are ready to be writing a flagship book like this, most of all as a weekly. This is very different than the team of somewhat seasoned and tested writers that took over Spider-Man with the Spider-Brain-Trust in One More Day. There you had Dan Slott, Bob Gale (the freaking Back to the Future writer), Joe Kelly, Marc Guggenheim (already a comic book and TV name) and I don't even remember who else. Those are seasoned writers with experience enough to deal with ONE character as the central focus.

The X-Men relaunch needs a seasoned writer. Someone experienced with team books that hasn't really written the X-Men before. I get that Rosenberg is a fan, that the backlash is hurting him and I can definitely see him becoming one of the greats within Marvel Comics or the industry eventually. But neither these writers are there yet to take over X-Men, especially in a weekly format.

Do you want to revamp the Uncanny X-Men and make people go nuts? EASY Marvel. Two flagship books. Get Jonathan Hickman to write both. Do this:

avengers-covers-1-3.jpg

554c8adba5d2a3b982c0475597de38e0._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

But with the X-Men instead. Make it critically acclaimed, not just a book that gets rushed with bad art from GREAT artists drawing it. Don't fuck up with your own up and coming talent like that. Making "the dream" of writers happen when they are clearly not ready to storm the pressure that a book like this has is precisely what is going on here. And ah, give Rosenberg a book with the New Mutants characters and for fuck's sake they aren't the new mutants anymore. That book was released in the freaking eighties, let him come up with a new name, and no, it's not the freaking uncanny X-Men.

/rant off.
I really doubt Hickman wants to write the X-Men over doing his own thing lol. That's become a meme at this point.

I would say Rosenberg is an experienced enough writer to take on Uncanny, especially when you look at some of the other books out there and writers only become big names after writing big books. We'll see how he does when he starts writing solo. If the book isn't good it won't be because he isn't "seasoned". The problem here is that X-Men Red fans are being dumb and blaming him for the book ending.

This team is basically the characters left after Disassembled while the other characters are in Age of X-Man, so it probably isn't going to be the long term roster unless Marvel is planning other titles for everyone else.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I really doubt Hickman wants to write the X-Men over doing his own thing lol. That's become a meme at this point.

I would say Rosenberg is an experienced enough writer to take on Uncanny, especially when you look at some of the other books out there and writers only become big names after writing big books. We'll see how he does when he starts writing solo. If the book isn't good it won't be because he isn't "seasoned". The problem here is that X-Men Red fans are being dumb and blaming him for the book ending.

This team is basically the characters left after Disassembled while the other characters are in Age of X-Man, so it probably isn't going to be the long term roster unless Marvel is planning other titles for everyone else.

Rosenberg's reaction to the criticism CLEARLY shows that he's not ready. The problem with X-Men is that the Avengers have their flagship writer, while Rosenberg, regardless how much I enjoyed his Astonishing book, it's simply not there yet. I don't know if Hickman would do it or not, I'm just saying that this kind of writing and art for an X-Men book that it's supposed to get the character's back to glory is just... ugh:

http://www.comicosity.com/preview-uncanny-x-men-6-2/

Holy shit.

"I am undecided".

The X-Men needs star power. If that's Hickman, Simone (she is doing arguably the most critically acclaimed X-Men book right now after all), Cates or whoever, I don't know. But I'd take Duggan over Rosenberg, Thompson and Frisson right now and I don't even like Infinity Wars. It's still better than whatever is going on here, it's at least aiming for epic. This isn't.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Rosenberg's reaction to the criticism CLEARLY shows that he's not ready. The problem with X-Men is that the Avengers have their flagship writer, while Rosenberg, regardless how much I enjoyed his Astonishing book, it's simply not there yet. I don't know if Hickman would do it or not, I'm just saying that this kind of writing and art for an X-Men book that it's supposed to get the character's back to glory is just... ugh:

Holy shit.

"I am undecided".

The X-Men needs star power. If that's Hickman, Simone (she is doing arguably the most critically acclaimed X-Men book right now after all), Cates or whoever, I don't know. But I'd take Duggan over Rosenberg, Thompson and Frisson right now and I don't even like Infinity Wars. It's still better than whatever is going on here, it's at least aiming for epic. This isn't.
Saying that Rosenberg shouldn't write the X-Men because he wrote a tweet saying some X-Men Red fans are mean is kinda an overreaction imo. Personally I don't use books with multiple writers to judge individuals, so I'm taking a wait a see approach, though I am a fan of all three writers.

Of those people you named I would say only Cates and Hickman would the kind of star power you seem to want want.

Now time to do #3 and say the same about the other Tom

We could've had a new Midnight Sons by him but noooo, let's just put him on Damnation variants
Midnight Sons can't carry a book.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

Holy shit.

"I am undecided".
I'm not gonna comment on the writing because yeah it's underwhelming and shit but the art?? What the hell's wrong with that art?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Saying that Rosenberg shouldn't write the X-Men because he wrote a tweet saying some X-Men Red fans are mean is kinda an overreaction imo. Personally I don't use books with multiple writers to judge individuals, so I'm taking a wait a see approach, though I am a fan of all three writers.

Of those people you named I would say only Cates and Hickman would the kind of star power you seem to want want.

I don't know, I'm not one to "overreact" when it comes to comic books for a long, long time. I love Dan Slott's Spider-Man and I can't stand Nick Spencer's, and while I'm not reading the book, I can see why some are enjoying and he seems to have struck a nerve with that book. Read one issue and while not really my tastes, it's at least competent. This Uncanny X-Men run has been aggressively bad so far, and I have very little hope that Rosenberg taking over or Frisson and Thompson taking turns on arcs will make this situation any better.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'm not gonna comment on the writing because yeah it's underwhelming and shit but the art?? What the hell's wrong with that art?
I know the art of the people that is working in this book. It looks rushed as hell and a pale shadow of what they are actually capable of. Making Uncanny weekly was never the answer. They should have someone with star power for Uncanny - and I legit think that if Cates, Hickman and Simone aren't options, Duggan and Deodato could have made for a killer team here - and other book written by the same person at least until the groundwork for where the X-Men are now in the world feels grounded. Mahmud Asmar CAN draw when he's not rushed:

b5f8fc6738b4aa0f82885a9183a054ef.jpg

Same goes for R.B. Silva:

421f1c500ef50f02a16c699711939208.jpg

Same for Yildiray Cinar:

Rogue-vs-Sentinel-by-Yildiray-Cinar.jpg

The artists aren't really the problem. The art looks rushed because they are obviously under an absurd deadline. This should never be a weekly comic.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

Midnight Sons can't carry a book.
So give them 12 issues?

Who knew Teen Titans #25 would feature the best ship of 2018?
Is Crush involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.