• Al Ewing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Spider-man fans will read any old thing. There's no reason to improve the comic ;)
Marvel_Trouble_1.jpg

Feb 16, 2022
Wells is likely staying for at least another year, sadly.

Mackay is on Doctor Strange. If Wells leaves, I have no idea who they'd have taking over ASM.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
oh I'm not reading Spider-Man. I meant I can't take another year of 20+ Spider-Man complaint posts on every page of the comic OT.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
When theres a Spider-man comic actually worth talking about someone can make a thread lol

May 24, 2019
How was Action Comics #1050? It's the big showcase for the new era, right?

edit: And WW Historia #3. I'm living vicariously through you guys, so please read some comics!

edit2: And the Nice House finale!

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone reading the current Amazing Spider-Man book? I hear it's great. Wells really gets the characters, or so I hear.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last two days to move your votes around! Take a look and see if you've still got votes left!

docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2022 - Second Round

Sheet1 DIRECTIONS:,Each voter has 4 votes. They can't be used on the same comic twice. They can be moved at any time, unless the comic is LOCKED. A comic is LOCKED as soon as it has received 2 votes. LOCKED comic votes can't be changed. LOCKED comics move on to the final round. USE YOUR VOTES ...

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
If anyone is still interested in the Barnes & Noble 50% off hardcover books sale, it might still be on so stop by your local BNs to find out. It's YMMV of course but give it a shot! I may hit up the closest one to me rather than go way downtown later today.

Copying and pasting some thoughts on some books I read recently; I just finished reading It Won't Always Be This Way today for reference. Some of which I nominated on the doc for your consideration:

81d+IJGNl8L._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

FRIZZY- A middle school ages book about self-love, loss, hair care, and identity similar to Messy Roots. Except, without adult themes such as sexuality given the target audience is middle school children. Still, there were a lot of themes and notions about characters' sexuality and whatnot that were read between the lines. For instance, the protagonist's aunt very much feels like she's queer even though the author never spells it out. Every family has a cool aunt/uncle that teaches others things their parents don't talk to them about.

As a Dominican-American, it was a love letter to the growing pains of good hair vs bad hair and using art as escapism. It was well done for the most part but I wished the book spent more time fleshing out the supporting characters. Otherwise, as a Dominican-American with loose curly hair, I totally related; the neighborhood the story was set in was non-descript but I read it as Washington Heights (where I was born and raised). If anything, the book's best thing is that it calls out Eurocentric standards of beauty which are still pervasive in the Dominican Republic; blackness/African descendency is spurned. We see it in the protagonist's lighter-skinned, green-eyed cousin with straight hair and her father. Heck, my own mom straightens her hair to this day! I was once ashamed of my own hair but I learned to embrace it.

81dw3QKOGnL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

MESSY ROOTS: MEMOIR OF A WUHANESE AMERICAN- A coming-of-age memoir about finding identity between diaspora and Asian-American, coming out as queer, and navigating language, food, and Chinese mythology as narrative devices. The art while simple was really well done and used a limited color palette. But some of the panels weren't clear so it was confusing to make sense of what was happening at times. As a result, the art was crudely drawn at times reminiscent of Adrian Tomine's early comic book work. I loved the video game references Gao inserted throughout the book even if Gao and I are a generational gap apart.

And of course, I'm a cishet Latino but I found myself relating to going back to the motherland. Gao was heavily influenced by Gene Luen Yang's American Born Chinese which was weaved into the story. Similarly, the color palette reminded me of The Best We Can Do which used a mix of warm color palettes and cool colors and I Was Their American Dream. As with any graphic memoir where the author is still alive, their story continues well beyond the page.

81ctdmrPIyS._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

ISLA TO ISLAND- A mostly silent middle school-age graphic novel about immigration, assimilation, and coming-of-age. It's historically accurate given it takes place during Batista era Cuba then 1960s New York. The protagonist, Marisol grows up while navigating language barriers, ostracism, and the strange world of America. The color palette plays a key role in the story with colors in Cuba vibrant and tropical. In contrast, New York is monochromatic and sterile to show Marisol's state of mind from missing her parents in Cuba. Selective coloring plays a role in highlighting books, blood, and food.

By the last stretch of the story, color is fully restored to the story to show how Marisol changes. Alexis Castellanos draws a beautiful story. My issue with the book is that while most of the story is told through silent panels, words play a role so the marketing is false. I also wished the story was less traditional about the immigrant who achieves big dreams and has a family. Although it was a tribute to Castellanos' family. As a nice bonus, the book includes a recipe, historical context, and further recommended reading.

71RBkX09jYL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

THE AQUANAUT- An aquatic adventure of a walking dive suit piloted by sea creatures too scared to live in the water. But it's also about legacy, loss, and family. It was a touching story about a workaholic uncle who neglects his niece. The panels were well done with multiple color palettes; cool colors in the sea and aquarium; warm colors on the beach (the story is set in Santa Monica, California).

It was a surprisingly moving and funny story. As someone who lost a good friend I worked at cons with this year, I've been trying to find my own answers on how to honor his legacy and how to move forward. Death is something that we're all surrounded with; the Aquanaut reminds its readers about this and that it's okay to remember those who have passed. My flaw with the book is it rushes to its conclusion and one of the villains is paper thin. But I enjoyed it very much.

919kqa4bglL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

IT WON'T ALWAYS BE THIS WAY- A follow-up to I Was Their American Dream. But this book focuses on Gharib's summers in Egypt/the Middle East when she visited her dad and her stepmother while growing up rather broad than broad brushstrokes of growing up as a half-Filipina, half-Egyptian American woman. Having read I Was Their American Dream, Gharib's writing and art style were familiar to me as her drawing style is simple and cartoony, but it works well for the most part. At times, the art can be hard to read.

Like I Was Their American Dream, It Won't Always Be This Way has a sense of melancholy throughout the story as Gharib explores her identity, coming of age, and what it means to be half-Egyptian through the lens of her father and stepmother, Hala.

As Gharib ages, her Egyptian family expands from one sibling to three by the end of the story, and her family is at a different point. We see that arranged marriages falter and that staying with a partner for the children is toxic. But personal happiness is important in the long haul; divorce can be a good thing in the long haul for children and for the parents.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I know there are people here who enjoy ASM and actively get discouraged by the avalanche of bitching and moaning

Case and point, its gotten the required two votes for our comic of the year.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It seems like X-Men did a better job making the most of the Dark Web saga than anyone else.

Also did Superman get buffed since he left Warworld?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Spider-Office knew what they were doing was going to upset a portion of their audience, and they chose to do it anyway. They swore they had a story to tell. They have failed at it.

It's all just been a troll on their audience. I'm not surprised the reaction has been so negative.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is still interested in the Barnes & Noble 50% off hardcover books sale, it might still be on so stop by your local BNs to find out. It's YMMV of course but give it a shot! I may hit up the closest one to me rather than go way downtown later today.

Copying and pasting some thoughts on some books I read recently; I just finished reading It Won't Always Be This Way today for reference. Some of which I nominated on the doc for your consideration:

81d+IJGNl8L._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

FRIZZY- A middle school ages book about self-love, loss, hair care, and identity similar to Messy Roots. Except, without adult themes such as sexuality given the target audience is middle school children. Still, there were a lot of themes and notions about characters' sexuality and whatnot that were read between the lines. For instance, the protagonist's aunt very much feels like she's queer even though the author never spells it out. Every family has a cool aunt/uncle that teaches others things their parents don't talk to them about.

As a Dominican-American, it was a love letter to the growing pains of good hair vs bad hair and using art as escapism. It was well done for the most part but I wished the book spent more time fleshing out the supporting characters. Otherwise, as a Dominican-American with loose curly hair, I totally related; the neighborhood the story was set in was non-descript but I read it as Washington Heights (where I was born and raised). If anything, the book's best thing is that it calls out Eurocentric standards of beauty which are still pervasive in the Dominican Republic; blackness/African descendency is spurned. We see it in the protagonist's lighter-skinned, green-eyed cousin with straight hair and her father. Heck, my own mom straightens her hair to this day! I was once ashamed of my own hair but I learned to embrace it.

81dw3QKOGnL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

MESSY ROOTS: MEMOIR OF A WUHANESE AMERICAN- A coming-of-age memoir about finding identity between diaspora and Asian-American, coming out as queer, and navigating language, food, and Chinese mythology as narrative devices. The art while simple was really well done and used a limited color palette. But some of the panels weren't clear so it was confusing to make sense of what was happening at times. As a result, the art was crudely drawn at times reminiscent of Adrian Tomine's early comic book work. I loved the video game references Gao inserted throughout the book even if Gao and I are a generational gap apart.

And of course, I'm a cishet Latino but I found myself relating to going back to the motherland. Gao was heavily influenced by Gene Luen Yang's American Born Chinese which was weaved into the story. Similarly, the color palette reminded me of The Best We Can Do which used a mix of warm color palettes and cool colors and I Was Their American Dream. As with any graphic memoir where the author is still alive, their story continues well beyond the page.

81ctdmrPIyS._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

ISLA TO ISLAND- A mostly silent middle school-age graphic novel about immigration, assimilation, and coming-of-age. It's historically accurate given it takes place during Batista era Cuba then 1960s New York. The protagonist, Marisol grows up while navigating language barriers, ostracism, and the strange world of America. The color palette plays a key role in the story with colors in Cuba vibrant and tropical. In contrast, New York is monochromatic and sterile to show Marisol's state of mind from missing her parents in Cuba. Selective coloring plays a role in highlighting books, blood, and food.

By the last stretch of the story, color is fully restored to the story to show how Marisol changes. Alexis Castellanos draws a beautiful story. My issue with the book is that while most of the story is told through silent panels, words play a role so the marketing is false. I also wished the story was less traditional about the immigrant who achieves big dreams and has a family. Although it was a tribute to Castellanos' family. As a nice bonus, the book includes a recipe, historical context, and further recommended reading.

71RBkX09jYL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

THE AQUANAUT- An aquatic adventure of a walking dive suit piloted by sea creatures too scared to live in the water. But it's also about legacy, loss, and family. It was a touching story about a workaholic uncle who neglects his niece. The panels were well done with multiple color palettes; cool colors in the sea and aquarium; warm colors on the beach (the story is set in Santa Monica, California).

It was a surprisingly moving and funny story. As someone who lost a good friend I worked at cons with this year, I've been trying to find my own answers on how to honor his legacy and how to move forward. Death is something that we're all surrounded with; the Aquanaut reminds its readers about this and that it's okay to remember those who have passed. My flaw with the book is it rushes to its conclusion and one of the villains is paper thin. But I enjoyed it very much.

919kqa4bglL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

IT WON'T ALWAYS BE THIS WAY- A follow-up to I Was Their American Dream. But this book focuses on Gharib's summers in Egypt/the Middle East when she visited her dad and her stepmother while growing up rather broad than broad brushstrokes of growing up as a half-Filipina, half-Egyptian American woman. Having read I Was Their American Dream, Gharib's writing and art style were familiar to me as her drawing style is simple and cartoony, but it works well for the most part. At times, the art can be hard to read.

Like I Was Their American Dream, It Won't Always Be This Way has a sense of melancholy throughout the story as Gharib explores her identity, coming of age, and what it means to be half-Egyptian through the lens of her father and stepmother, Hala.

As Gharib ages, her Egyptian family expands from one sibling to three by the end of the story, and her family is at a different point. We see that arranged marriages falter and that staying with a partner for the children is toxic. But personal happiness is important in the long haul; divorce can be a good thing in the long haul for children and for the parents.
Yo! Thanks for the write-ups Jo-awn! Exceptional!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
We got a 3D Printer for the house for Christmas and I was super pumped to start printing out some statues but the thing is more complicated that I thought lol. It did the first few prints basically perfectly, but they were the ones that came with it the software for free to try it out. We did some other free prints that worked alright but now its starting to screw up. The nozzle thingy will start dragging the filament.

But man, if I could get the thing working properly ive found a ton of stuff I want to try printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.