• Kieron Gillen

• Al Ewing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this thread can't maintain a healthy discourse regarding Tom King's excellence that it isn't allowed to talk about other comics.
The best writer IMO by a mile. Since I don't read most of his work monthly though I'm kind of stuck waiting on Human Target to wrap to dive in. I made an exception with Gotham Year One which I'm digging. I also liked his One Bad Day story. Supergirl remains the best cape book I've read in several years. It's so so good as both King and Evely were on top of their game.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The best writer IMO by a mile. Since I don't read most of his work monthly though I'm kind of stuck waiting on Human Target to wrap to dive in. I made an exception with Gotham Year One which I'm digging. I also liked his One Bad Day story. Supergirl remains the best cape book I've read in several years. It's so so good as both King and Evely were on top of their game.

You reading Love Everlasting? King and Elsa are on fire. Elsa doing career work.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
King is hit or miss. When he hits its really, really good work like Supergirl. When he misses it's the latter half of his Batman run, or Heroes in Crisis.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You reading Love Everlasting? King and Elsa are on fire. Elsa doing career work.
I am looking forward to it but want to read a bunch at a time rather than one by one. I think I'll dive in soon though. I've heard both talk about it in many podcasts and it sounds great. It's a great pair of creators for sure.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I missed the thread question. The answer is Al Ewing. I love Gillen but Al Ewing's 2021 Guardians of the Galaxy might be my favorite comic of the decade so far.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
King is hit or miss. When he hits its really, really good work like Supergirl. When he misses it's the latter half of his Batman run, or Heroes in Crisis.
I feel like HiC had enough fun moments (the confessionals) that it made up for how bad the core story was. Honestly I wish the series just focused on the emotional roll of being a hero rather than trying to be a big stakes event. I'm sure the sales would have been much lower thoigh.
The second half of his Batman run was inconsistent but had a lot of good stuff, I thought. Between Vision, Supergirl and Sheriff he has enough amazing books for me to easily overlook the occasional misfire.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like HiC had enough fun moments (the confessionals) that it made up for how bad the core story was. Honestly I wish the series just focused on the emotional roll of being a hero rather than trying to be a big stakes event. I'm sure the sales would have been much lower thoigh.
The second half of his Batman run was inconsistent but had a lot of good stuff, I thought. Between Vision, Supergirl and Sheriff he has enough amazing books for me to easily overlook the occasional misfire.

Those confessionals didn't feel like accurate portrayals of most* of those heroes. And that was what I found so frustrating. I also found it kind of insulting that part of the point was exposing the idea that superheroes needed therapy, and that nobody ever pushed back on that. It's just a mess all around. DC's done a shit job of doing therapy while Marvel's done it twice in the last couple years and excelled in both The Unstoppable Wasp and Al Ewing's Guardians.

It really feels like King just sort of writes the story he wants to write regardless of whether that always "fits" for the character. If that jibes with you then you're going to like him. If it doesn't like me, you might bounce off him. I don't begrudge people who love him, but he's on the whole rarely for me. I know he's messing about with the JLI characters right now, for instance, and those dorks are too close to me to check it out.

*I did feel like, oddly, he kind of nailed Diana. "I prefer to bite my lip" is powerful stuff.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those confessionals didn't feel like accurate portrayals of most* of those heroes. And that was what I found so frustrating. I also found it kind of insulting that part of the point was exposing the idea that superheroes needed therapy, and that nobody ever pushed back on that. It's just a mess all around. DC's done a shit job of doing therapy while Marvel's done it twice in the last couple years and excelled in both The Unstoppable Wasp and Al Ewing's Guardians.

It really feels like King just sort of writes the story he wants to write regardless of whether that always "fits" for the character. If that jibes with you then you're going to like him. If it doesn't like me, you might bounce off him. I don't begrudge people who love him, but he's on the whole rarely for me. I know he's messing about with the JLI characters right now, for instance, and those dorks are too close to me to check it out.

*I did feel like, oddly, he kind of nailed Diana. "I prefer to bite my lip" is powerful stuff.
That's fair. I'm not too worried about trying to imagine everything fitting into a coherent canon or continuity so when he has the wrong voice for Booster (which he did in HiC and Batman) I don't really mind it the way others might.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. I'm not too worried about trying to imagine everything fitting into a coherent canon or continuity so when he has the wrong voice for Booster (which he did in HiC and Batman) I don't really mind it the way others might.

My big problem with King having the wrong voice is because he's such a popular writer. For someone like Batman, his "voice" is so strong that even if King gets it wrong the next writer probably won't be influenced at all. For less popular characters though, a popular writer giving the character the "wrong" voice that catches fire can ruin that character for fans. They might never be right again. Iron Man's still struggling to recover from when the Brits got a hold of him.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My big problem with King having the wrong voice is because he's such a popular writer. For someone like Batman, his "voice" is so strong that even if King gets it wrong the next writer probably won't be influenced at all. For less popular characters though, a popular writer giving the character the "wrong" voice that catches fire can ruin that character for fans. They might never be right again. Iron Man's still struggling to recover from when the Brits got a hold of him.
That's true although DC does such a shit job of keeping it's back roster viable that I'm sure it matters much. I do hope someone follows up on his Supergirl run as she was great in that and a series keeping the same tone and characterization would be great.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Only saving grace but as for the rest well:

avx.jpg
They did Scott the dirtiest in the whole event and Cap wasn't any better. I remember at the time a company made officially licensed X-Men shirts and I won a "Cyclops Was Right" one lol

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I missed the thread question. The answer is Al Ewing. I love Gillen but Al Ewing's 2021 Guardians of the Galaxy might be my favorite comic of the decade so far.

Sorry, the thread has spoken on this matter. The polls are legally binding (unless Jimenez loses and then it was definitely rigged)

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

DC editorial fucked HIC. He didn't want it to be an event.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ewing's "Nova in therapy" issue is definitely one of my favorite single issues of the past few years - it's a good read on its own, its a good portrayal of mental health, and it just GETS Richard Rider as a character. Like, it synthesizes the whole history of the character and builds a jumping off point for the future. It's a shame he's barely shown up since that run ended.

How do we not have a GOTG ongoing again?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ewing's "Nova in therapy" issue is definitely one of my favorite single issues of the past few years - it's a good read on its own, its a good portrayal of mental health, and it just GETS Richard Rider as a character. Like, it synthesizes the whole history of the character and builds a jumping off point for the future. It's a shame he's barely shown up since that run ended.

How do we not have a GOTG ongoing again?

There are a lot of characters/teams who should have ongoings but don't.

rTbfEAY.jpg

I finally got around to reading the first volume of Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda's new graphic novel trilogy (also known as the reason Monstress went on hiatus for a number of months). As opposed to the high fantasy of their ongoing series, this is more in the urban fantasy vein, with a two-timeline plot about a Hong Kong immigrant family in the United States with a mysterious supernatural history. Takeda's art style is a bit different here compared to Monstress, with a bit more in the way of manga-style expression at points, as well as what seems like less sharpness to some of the inks. Early going on this one, but I enjoyed it, and there are some exceptionally creepy dolls, if that's a horror interest to people.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been talking about Timeless #1 2022? Ive been trying to gloss over all the Spider-man posts lol.

Dark Web might not be good but im happy to finally have Mady getting to touch on some of these topics in Dark X-Men #2.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Web is worth it just for the X-Men tie ins.
Like cyclops not being able to open his eyes because then he'll concussive blast a bunch of puppies? Good stuff.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what FALL OF X could mean. Like the end of the Krakoa era or just Mutants are hated and feared again? Just hope the evil mutants take Beast with them lol.

I always liked the X-Men versus humans and machines stories better than the evil mutant stories anyway. Id take more Orchis over more Destiny after Sins of Sinister.

Oh and bring back Gambit

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what FALL OF X could mean. Like the end of the Krakoa era or just Mutants are hated and feared again? Just hope the evil mutants take Beast with them lol.
If they're putting an end to the Krakoa era already, what a fucking disappointment this turned out to be. They had such a killer story set up after HoX/PoX and they didn't pick it up again until Inferno.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
rTbfEAY.jpg

I finally got around to reading the first volume of Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda's new graphic novel trilogy (also known as the reason Monstress went on hiatus for a number of months). As opposed to the high fantasy of their ongoing series, this is more in the urban fantasy vein, with a two-timeline plot about a Hong Kong immigrant family in the United States with a mysterious supernatural history. Takeda's art style is a bit different here compared to Monstress, with a bit more in the way of manga-style expression at points, as well as what seems like less sharpness to some of the inks. Early going on this one, but I enjoyed it, and there are some exceptionally creepy dolls, if that's a horror interest to people.
I can't tell how much you liked it exactly, but maybe you wanna vote for it
docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2022 - Second Round

Sheet1 DIRECTIONS:,Each voter has 4 votes. They can't be used on the same comic twice. They can be moved at any time, unless the comic is LOCKED. A comic is LOCKED as soon as it has received 2 votes. LOCKED comic votes can't be changed. LOCKED comics move on to the final round. USE YOUR VOTES ...

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019

I always liked the X-Men versus humans and machines stories better than the evil mutant stories anyway. Id take more Orchis over more Destiny after Sins of Sinister.

Oh and bring back Gambit
Ending Krakoa would be one of the worst things Marvel has done. I'm wondering if it's referring to something like resurrection failing. I could also see them wiping out a lot of the mutants in general. Orchis is a great enemy and there's still so many storylines to explore.

I also like that they've answered questions pretty quick instead of dragging it out too long. My only real disappointment was that after Hickman made it clear that everyone is fucking I still don't think it's horny enough.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Dark Web is worth it just for the X-Men tie ins.
Like cyclops not being able to open his eyes because then he'll concussive blast a bunch of puppies? Good stuff.
Lol yeah and to see all the awkwardness between the Summers and Maddie

Oh and bring back Gambit
Idk but they better not get rid of Krakoa

Lmao, it's almost as if not everyone does hate this run despite the protests of one particular poster

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Got the 3d printer working finally. Printing out a hydra cap statue. Couldn't find any daredevil prints that looked good enough.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
LAST DAY FOR VOTING IN OUR COMIC OF THE YEAR SECOND ROUND!

Folk that still have votes left to move around (and new folk are welcome too!): Aurica BKatastrophe Canucked ElNarez jph139 Kyonashi Naijaboy Pluto Porl skelltan tim1138 Tyrant Rave Vic_Viper WadiumArcadium Wanderer5 whatsinaname MaxEverblack

docs.google.com

Sheet1 DIRECTIONS:,Each voter has 4 votes. They can't be used on the same comic twice. They can be moved at any time, unless the comic is LOCKED. A comic is LOCKED as soon as it has received 2 votes. LOCKED comic votes can't be changed. LOCKED comics move on to the final round. USE YOUR VOTES ...

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Folk that still have votes left to move around (and new folk are welcome too!): Aurica BKatastrophe Canucked ElNarez jph139 Kyonashi Naijaboy Pluto Porl skelltan tim1138 Tyrant Rave Vic_Viper WadiumArcadium Wanderer5 whatsinaname MaxEverblack

docs.google.com

I did the other day.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

docs.google.com

How are Spy x Family and Deadly Class not in. We fucked up

Status
Not open for further replies.