• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is your favourite comics publisher?

• Marvel

• DC

• Shonen Jump (best boy Bakugo)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Was reading an interview with Jonboy Meyers and he talked about why he quit Teen Titans after 2 issues, and then also quit The Royals for Marvel. Said some similar things, but the main thing that got me was how little control he and even the writer had over their stories. He made it sound like higher ups at both companies would decide what the overall story would be for each arc and then the writer had to try to come up with something that would work, and have to keep reiterating until the higher ups were happy. He said he would wait around for weeks until this process was finally completed before he could actually start drawing, and by then he had so little time that it was super stressful and took away any sort of creative freedom.

He also said that they only get like 1 month lead time nowadays, compared to the 3+ months lead time they used to have.

Im sure writers like Hickman or Tom King get a lot more leeway with their stories, but it sounds like hell for the little guys. This also sounds just like what I imagined the Age of X-Man people had to deal with.
"Jonboy Meyers"

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Dogo-san is the anime expert we don't deserve but he sticks around anyway cuz he thinks we're funny.
I put a couple hours into making that thread all because of jokes.

I just wanted to continue my trend of putting lots of time into making a thread that is not of interest to 99% of the people on the board. Did the same thing on gaf, too!

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to pick a favorite right now. My backlog is so massive, but before I kind of dropped off, Marvel had the upper hand. Immortal Hulk, Iron Man, Jessica Jones, West Coast Avengers, Avengers, Thor, Cloak and Dagger, Champions, and Ms. Marvel were all doing pretty great for me.

DC has Flash, Justice League, and Super Sons. Nightwing is boring. I haven't touched Detective since the Hill run ended. Haven't touched Superman, Supergirl, and Action since their # (100)1's. Have yet to read Young Justice yet.

I've never been much for other publishers unless the title looks extremely dope in interesting or is a property I'm in to. And I the only manga I'm up to date with is D. Gray-Man and honestly I don't think I've read the most recent chapter since the last one I scoped was in October? Sometime in the fall. And that's not even SJ anymore.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Most of my favorite comics are published by Drawn & Quarterly, First Second, Fantagraphics, or Pantheon. I can't choose, because they're so split.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
One more Justice League question: when did Jon Stewart get a ring that's tattooed to his finger, instead of having an actual ring?

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You are easily the most cultured doggo around.
Before my dog, Charles, passed last year, he was the most cultured one.
bPk02Da.jpg

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel turned around and now is winning LOL

It's the pendulum. One company is always "winning". Of course, part of this is the "losing" company usually isn't that bad off, but it behooves the community to amplify mistakes. Happened to Marvel for the past few years, and DC during New 52 before that. It'll swing back again.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Green Arrow #49 - You know what? I actually really, really liked this issue. I'm not sure it really made sense, and a lot of it was subtle as a gunshot, but plucking the Space Needle from the air and firing it at a bad guy is... pretty cool. And that moment where Ollie and Vertigo KINDA bond was handled really well, and of course undermined by Vertigo's fundamental cuntiness. And trying to pull the old "He'll just break out again!" and Canary cutting past his BS was perfect Green Arrow. Makes me feel really bad Kelly and Lanzing aren't getting to shoot their shot.

Batman #64 - Ugh, another Flash crossover. At least, unlike King, Williamson hasn't forgotten Gotham Girl exists.

Champions #2 - Who let Zub do this, why was this allowed. Like, as if this issue wasn't brutal enough that final page is just - Jesus Christ they were having a fantasy adventure in Weirdworld like two issues ago!

Immortal Hulk #13 - I'm left with as many questions as answers, and honestly I'd call this one of the weaker issues of the series so far. Great seeing Bennett really go all out with his grotesque monsters, though.

Daredevil #1 - I'm trying really, really hard to not pick up new books but it's Zdarsky on Daredevil. How can I not spend $5 to try it out? It was a bit paint-by-numbers, back-to-basics, whatever you want to call it, which is always a bit of a downer... but I'm always a sucker for "maybe our hero is actually a piece of shit" stories, and I think this is the start of a great one. I think his fight with those robbers could be the seed of something special, depending on what direction they want to go with it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I finally got around to D. Gray-Man Hallow

Were they scared they weren't going to catch up to the manga or something? This pacing is wild fast. Or maybe I'm just remembering these arcs wrong. It feels so scatterbrained at times. Also some of the dubbing choices threw me off. Fuu is now Four. They're using "apostle" a lot more instead of "accommodator" and "exorcist."

But the animation is so much better. Actual fight animation is a thing of beauty.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Were they scared they weren't going to catch up to the manga or something? This pacing is wild fast. Or maybe I'm just remembering these arcs wrong. It feels so scatterbrained at times. Also some of the dubbing choices threw me off. Fuu is now Four. They're using "apostle" a lot more instead of "accommodator" and "exorcist."

But the animation is so much better. Actual fight animation is a thing of beauty.

Did D. Gray Man ever end? God it's been ten years since I read it.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Does Millennium Earl continue to be the villain throughout the whole series? He seems so silly.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Daredevil #1 - I'm trying really, really hard to not pick up new books but it's Zdarsky on Daredevil. How can I not spend $5 to try it out? It was a bit paint-by-numbers, back-to-basics, whatever you want to call it, which is always a bit of a downer... but I'm always a sucker for "maybe our hero is actually a piece of shit" stories, and I think this is the start of a great one. I think his fight with those robbers could be the seed of something special, depending on what direction they want to go with it.
I think back to basics is a great way to describe it, but I wouldnt say that was a bad thing. I think it felt right for a new #1, along with Matt still recovering from whatever happened at the end of Soule's run. Its for sure going on my pull list now.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Taylor's saying his big new (DC?) project will be announced either tomorrow or Monday, so I guess we'll start seeing the first part of the relaunches that are coming...

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Does Millennium Earl continue to be the villain throughout the whole series? He seems so silly.
He is. There's more to why he's so silly. Part of it is that he's supposed to be the devil in a child friendly veneer.

That's actually not his real form. He's technically the first Noah, Adam. The goofy exterior is basically a body suit disguise. He's basically a normal human like all the others. They hint at it early on and then confirm it later.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Slott is doing if he needs Zub to come in and write the scripts on Iron Man for him. Hopefully this will help with the delays atleast. I get why he would give up Iron Man over the FF, but it has been the better book of the two, from the sound of things.

What could he be so busy with though lol?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
We are doing a great job showing our DC bias again. The poll is totally tied up again. ffs you can't do anything right. We are supposed to be DC fanboys who hate Marvel.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
LOL Uncanny X Men is just...you marks paid 8 bucks for this shit?

Remember how I said Rosenburg was a top guy? Yeah...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
LOL Uncanny X Men is just...you marks paid 8 bucks for this shit?

Remember how I said Rosenburg was a top guy? Yeah...

Brisson is the guy to choose for X-Men right now. Bin Larocca too. This is the art they wanted for the big return? Ha.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I wonder what Slott is doing if he needs Zub to come in and write the scripts on Iron Man for him. Hopefully this will help with the delays atleast. I get why he would give up Iron Man over the FF, but it has been the better book of the two, from the sound of things.

What could he be so busy with though lol?
Maybe he's just slow? Maybe the workload is getting to him? His Silver Surfer suffered heavy delays too because he needed to get his ASM scripts in.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Brisson is the guy to choose for X-Men right now. Bin Larocca too. This is the art they wanted for the big return? Ha.
Brisson, Nadler, Thompson(s) are better fits than Rosenburg, he does a good Punisher though.

Uncanny doing another MUTANTS HATED again is just...ugh.

"But this time, it's AoA mixed with the Greatest Hits!"

IT STILL SUCKS. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED?

DY6DRxnW4AgzThv.jpg

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe he's just slow? Maybe the workload is getting to him? His Silver Surfer suffered heavy delays too because he needed to get his ASM scripts in.
I think Iron Man was supposed to be double shipping but with that and F4, yeah, he slipped again, he needs only one solo but he wants IM 2020 and doing F4 to him is big. He so needs a Gage.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that the X-Men disappearing is *all* it takes for mass genocide/incarceration/suppression/whatever of mutants on a global scale is also a really dumb concept. Theoretically there should be tens of thousands of mutants out there (maybe even millions) but somehow 99% of the power was concentrated in a few dozen assholes in the Xavier Institute. Different countries/continents/etc. should have their own bands of mutants that work together to do stuff.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird that 99% of the mutants are gone and yet, I'm sure there's still mutants in the actual Earth and yet, everyone acts like they were the plague despite the Terrigen Mists but then again, I'm not working for Marvel.

If I was, I would have in big letters NO MORE MUTANTS HATED BY HUMANS IN A WORLD OF HEROES BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING STUPID AND MAKES NO SENSE NOW.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Cap, Bucky, and Natasha are why Cyclops is right. And the Terrigen Mists, but no one remember that stuff anymore.

The idea that the X-Men disappearing is *all* it takes for mass genocide/incarceration/suppression/whatever of mutants on a global scale is also a really dumb concept. Theoretically there should be tens of thousands of mutants out there (maybe even millions) but somehow 99% of the power was concentrated in a few dozen assholes in the Xavier Institute. Different countries/continents/etc. should have their own bands of mutants that work together to do stuff.

It's been established that most other countries tend to kill their mutants and the ones that are worthwhile end up in the X-Men. It's an international group.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that 99% of the mutants are gone and yet, I'm sure there's still mutants in the actual Earth and yet, everyone acts like they were the plague despite the Terrigen Mists but then again, I'm not working for Marvel.

If I was, I would have in big letters NO MORE MUTANTS HATED BY HUMANS IN A WORLD OF HEROES BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING STUPID AND MAKES NO SENSE NOW.
What would X-Men even be about if humans no longer hated and feared them?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Cap, Bucky, and Natasha are why Cyclops is right. And the Terrigen Mists, but no one remember that stuff anymore.

It's been established that most other countries tend to kill their mutants and the ones that are worthwhile end up in the X-Men. It's an international group.

The idea that this is going on on a global scale in the MU and nothing is being done is hilarious to me. I don't even know how you fix them at this point. And this same problem is going to show up on the MCU and be even more jarring.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
People?

It's likely Marvel is already buried the Inhumans stuff deep down.

I'm just so done with the mutants wiped out again because we just got that with DoX.
Yeah, but if people have no problem with mutants I'm wondering what that means for the metaphor, though you could argue that it isn't as important anymore.

I actually wonder what is going to happen with this current storyline because

The idea that this is going on on a global scale in the MU and nothing is being done is hilarious to me. I don't even know how you fix them at this point. And this same problem is going to show up on the MCU and be even more jarring.
The other heroes don't care about mutants unless they are Avengers because it would conflict with the X-Men's goal. That a big reason why some people want the X-Men to exist in their own universe.

The MCU will probably focus on how people as of now don't know mutants are thing and fear of the unknown. Eventually they could get into stuff like the Legacy Virus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.