• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Batman marry Catwoman during Tom Kings Batman storyline?

• Yes

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
War scrolls is good though. The doom story is great
i'm a bit behind now after taking a break but i kinda enjoyed it as a dumb fun event, my issue with it is if you try to actually get a story out of it, it's buried in 1 gorillion separate series and miniseries and it still doesn't really line up

War Scrolls is my favorite. Squirrel Girl is still Squirrel Girl quality. War of the Realms Strikeforce - The Land of the Giants is maybe the most fun single issue of the whole event. And Thor itself remains great. Not to say many of the others don't have their moments.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
War Scrolls is my favorite. Squirrel Girl is still Squirrel Girl quality. War of the Realms Strikeforce - The Land of the Giants is maybe the most fun single issue of the whole event. And Thor itself remains great. Not to say many of the others don't have their moments.

Other than venom I wasn't reading any of the tie ins so at least it got me started on those, maybe I'll pick them up when I'm off my mango phase

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that Aaron is doing that last Thor and Loki story because War of Realms would be such a crappy way to end his run.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

I LOVE Nguyen's art so much. I really need to read his work on Batman sometime.

I like the Watercoloring in Descender/Ascender, but I think I would like it much more of it was standard pencil & ink. Before I get any hate, I haven't read much of the book so I don't know if it will grow on me or not.

That being said though, I do love these covers!

D9qU2WYX4AACUjl

Edit: cool, you can resize images in the text box!

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE Nguyen's art so much. I really need to read his work on Batman sometime.

I like the Watercoloring in Descender/Ascender, but I think I would like it much more of it was standard pencil & ink. Before I get any hate, I haven't read much of the book so I don't know if it will grow on me or not.

That being said though, I do love these covers!

D9qU2WYX4AACUjl

Edit: cool, you can resize images in the text box!
I think his art looks kind of weird in ink and regular coloring, IMO.

4bd0bfb053f366cf960d7d8276072f6e._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
His art certainly shines when it's watercolor, but I think it's alright in standard ink and coloring. But I have gotten used to his watercolor style more.

Also, Streets of Gotham is great and more people should read it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2018
Just has an email that caught my eye:

Marvel fans, sit up and listen - we've got something really special for you. One of our suppliers found these Marvel trading cards made in 1984, in the back of their warehouse and they've given us an extremely limited stock.

We can't go back to 1984, so once they're gone, they're gone!

Are the genuinely from the 80s, or am I missing smallprint?

I don't have much interest in comics but could these end up valuable?

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Woo. First Green Lantern Omni finished(up through the end of Sinestro Corps War).

Was not really expecting that War to become a pseudo-sequel to Infinite Crisis. Was a pleasant surprise actually(though I should have known given the timing of Johns' writing these, not to mention a few clues tucked away early in the run).

Good stuff though. It did get a bit hectic to make out a lot of the action when you have all these characters crunched on page with strong yellow and green highlights everywhere. Like my eyes often were overwhelmed and couldn't find where to draw my attention, so a lot of the battle splash pages were just nonsense. Even when I literally was squinting and trying to suss out all the madness, too often I just went by the text bubbles to explain what my eyes couldn't parse. Still good stuff and well...Blackest Night is coming next it seems.

Also, my custom cover for Blackest Night Omni arrived. This part of the shelf looking nice.

IMG-4781-1.jpg

DapperGoop

Jan 14, 2018
Hey, I'm new here but I've been lurking for a while because this is the only place I've found where people talk about comics consistently. For the last year or so I got back into reading comics mostly due to my love for Spider-Man. I've been trying to read Spider-Gwen's solo stuff but there's a lame crossover every other issue so that kinda sucks.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So, I finished Strangers in Paradise. I liked it overall, and it had some seriously great moments, but I didn't quite LOVE it, I think partially just because it wasn't exactly what I wanted, I guess. Like, I was mostly there for the romance stuff, but a good bit of the book goes to like, crime drama stuff... and also the romance aspects are very much "will they, won't they?" back and forth with the actual relationship more as a goal at the end than anything else, which I think too much harem anime has gotten me a little warn down on. Like, I guess I just wanted more of them being together than "should we be together? Yes... no... yes... no..." But like I said, that's more personal tastes/what I wanted versus actual flaws with the book, and I still enjoyed it regardless. Ultimately, it's like... it had characters I loved, but the scenarios they went through were pretty hit and miss for me, I guess?

Oh, but I actively dislike that final twist
of who Casey really is
and think it doesn't fit the character or what we've seen up till that point at all.

Ah, and just on one more personal note... all the music and poetry stuff just didn't work for me. Which I'd imagine probably didn't help things. Also wasn't super fond of things temporarily shifting into being a novel essentially now and again, but that still worked okay-ish for me. Just felt it messed up the pacing a bit for my personal tastes.

Also read Strangers in Paradise XXV, and THAT was actively not for me at all, outside of the very few bits of family stuff. And then in the back half
there's what I'm assuming is crossover with Rachel Rising in particular, and also a bit of Motor Girl? Which admittedly I haven't read yet... but it felt like it fit super poorly in as a capper for Strangers in Paradise and just trashed the whole tone and any interest I had in the story being told. Just a real mess.
(Tagging that because it seems to be fairly recent from what I can tell.)

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, I'm new here but I've been lurking for a while because this is the only place I've found where people talk about comics consistently. For the last year or so I got back into reading comics mostly due to my love for Spider-Man. I've been trying to read Spider-Gwen's solo stuff but there's a lame crossover every other issue so that kinda sucks.
Spider-Gwen is a gorgeous book with a really cool world that is the definition of a wheel spinner.

Which leads me to believe that I don't think I quite enjoy Jason Latour as a writer.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Woo. First Green Lantern Omni finished(up through the end of Sinestro Corps War).

Was not really expecting that War to become a pseudo-sequel to Infinite Crisis. Was a pleasant surprise actually(though I should have known given the timing of Johns' writing these, not to mention a few clues tucked away early in the run).

Good stuff though. It did get a bit hectic to make out a lot of the action when you have all these characters crunched on page with strong yellow and green highlights everywhere. Like my eyes often were overwhelmed and couldn't find where to draw my attention, so a lot of the battle splash pages were just nonsense. Even when I literally was squinting and trying to suss out all the madness, too often I just went by the text bubbles to explain what my eyes couldn't parse. Still good stuff and well...Blackest Night is coming next it seems.

Also, my custom cover for Blackest Night Omni arrived. This part of the shelf looking nice.

IMG-4781-1.jpg
Where did you get the custom jackets printed?

DapperGoop

Jan 14, 2018
Spider-Gwen is a gorgeous book with a really cool world that is the definition of a wheel spinner.

Which leads me to believe that I don't think I quite enjoy Jason Latour as a writer.
It's one of my favorite Marvel Elseworlds concepts, but it seems like Marvel won't let this series breath on its own. Seems like Miles has the same issue. The art is dope though, makes me wish Spider-Punk got his own solo series.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
So, is Flashpoint Batman planning to resurrect this universe's version of Martha Wayne or Flashpoint Joker?

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

IMG-4781-1.jpg

how is the Blackest Night omni arranged? Is it on order like the Final Crisis omni or did they pull Marvel and stick the tie ins at the end?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This Waid/Garney Captain America is pretty cool so far. First story arc is a Cap and Red Skull team up lol.

Garney's art is great, but it looks like Andy Kubert has the best art in the omni. He might be my favorite 90s artist, aside from Joe Mad.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Those covers look great! Definitely brings the collection together.

Welcome! How do you like Gwen's Ghost-Spider rebranding?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Finished the first two volumes of Astro City and I love it so far. Loved Kurt's spiel in the introduction against everything needing to be "realistic" and that the superhero was in need of reconstruction not more deconstruction, sums up my feelings. One thing that I'm really impressed by is how throughly mapped out Astro City is geographically. They've managed to make the city feel alive with all the different neighborhoods which have different feels from each other. Wish DC could apply the same technique to their fake cities.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Loved Kurt's spiel in the introduction against everything needing to be "realistic" and that the superhero was in need of reconstruction not more deconstruction, sums up my feelings.
I remember loving what he says about superheroes in the intro.

Edit:
Kurt Busiek said:
The complaint, which never fails to charm me, is that superheroes are limited. They're inherently juvenile, I'm told. They're simplistic. They're just an adolescent male power fantasy, a crypto-fascist presentation of status quo values, elevated over anything strange and alien.

And sure, yeah, I can see that. Superman is adolescence personified -- Clark Kent the weak child whom nobody takes seriously, turning into the powerful, respected (and sexually attractive, but nervous around women) Superman as swiftly as a teenager's voice cracks, and then back to the meek, unimportant Clark. Spider-Man is adolescence from a different angle -- the teenager stumbling toward adulthood writ large, making mistakes with disastrous consequences and doing his best to remedy them as he learns to be a responsible man in an adult society. Captain America is the American ideal and self-image circa 1941 rolled into one -- the biggest kid in the global playground, who's going to make the other kids play nice, even if he has to get a little rough to do it. I can absolutely see that.

However -- and you knew there was going to be a however, right? -- what charms me about that objection to the superhero is the way it points out, in the guise of criticism, what to me is the greatest strength of the superhero genre -- the ease with which superheroes can be used as metaphor, as symbol, whether for the psychological transformation of adolescence, the self-image of a nation, or something else. A genre that can do something like that -- is that really a limitation?

I don't think so.

If a superhero can be such a powerful and effective metaphor for male adolescence, then what else can you do with them? Could you build a superhero story around a metaphor for female adolescence? Around mid-life crisis? Around the changes adults go through when they become parents? Sure, why not? And if a superhero can exemplify America's self-image at the dawn of World War II, could a superhore exemplify America's self-image during a less-confident 1970s? How about the emerging national identity of a newly-independent African nation? Or a non-natiounal culture, like the drug culture, or the "greed-is-good" business culture of the go-go Eighties? Of course. If it can do one, it can do the others.

I could go on, but I'll spare you. The point is, an attempt to describe how limited superheroes are quickly turns into the question, "What can't they do?" The possibilities of the genre are endless, and the terrain rich and inviting.

Last edited:

DapperGoop

Jan 14, 2018
Welcome! How do you like Gwen's Ghost-Spider rebranding?
I like the name Ghost-Spider more than Spider-Woman, it differentiates her more. But trying to fold her into the main universe is so lame when they're already more than enough spider-people in that universe. They did the same thing with Miles and that killed my interest in him for a while.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
This Waid/Garney Captain America is pretty cool so far. First story arc is a Cap and Red Skull team up lol.

Garney's art is great, but it looks like Andy Kubert has the best art in the omni. He might be my favorite 90s artist, aside from Joe Mad.

lt's fantastic. First Cap run I read and still maybe my favorite. That was Garney and Kubert in their prime and I love Waid's Cap.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The Vampire arc of Aaron Avengers with Marquez is good fun. It's a shame he left. The book was really finding its footing with those two.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The firzt spider-gwen run was full of gorgeous art and really interesting concepts failed by writing that was mediocre.

Latour had a lot of cool ideas and a lot of lame ways executing them.

The only four I think he nailed are

Evil SILK
KINGPIN Matt murdock
Blue Lives Matter Punisher
And Gwen's relationships with her friends and family.

Seanin's run is way more solid Story wise, but way less visually interesting.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
lt's fantastic. First Cap run I read and still maybe my favorite. That was Garney and Kubert in their prime and I love Waid's Cap.
You can see how much his style evolved before and after Heroes Reborn lol. His Daredevil was my first real experiance with Garney and I enjoyed it a lot.

They apparently had to redo a bunch of issue #14 because the original was deemed too sensitive or something. I havent read it yet, but they included the original in the back of the omni. Its got a bunch of Hitler flashbacks, so I assume its got something to do with that.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also feel like all of Gwen's writers overcomplicate a story that writes itself.

Superhero... in a grunge band

And they wanna focus on everything not the band even though that's the coolest part of her life.

Which is exemplified by the pitch of her next run. Gwen going to college... which nobody cares about.

like I don't give a fuck if Gwen drops out.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The Vampire arc of Aaron Avengers with Marquez is good fun. It's a shame he left. The book was really finding its footing with those two.
Yea thats was a great arc, but I completely dropped off after it. As cool as the new teams were he was introducing, I just have no desire to read anymore atm. That being said, I still really like the Red Widow lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.