• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
IMO PP's health issues were already being reflected in his play after Apex 2015, so Evo '15 might not be the best data set. I think the Falco/Hbox matchup hasn't been pushed nearly as much as the Fox matchup, as PP had much better neutral and zoning compared to the other Falco mains. As a Marth main I have always felt that the puff matchup is even or slightly in Puff's favor, but Hbox is a different floating balloon altogether.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
so much good melee, and for once on a weekend i was busy instead of being lazy. jeez what scheduling. top 8 was insane but top 64 had so much that sounds exciting.

I went back to watch some sets I missed from saturday. Axe-s2j, amsa-sfat, amsa-wizzy. i'll probably go back and watch axe's armada loss, amsa's hbox loss, the samus ditto, and maybe some other samus sets (tho i saw hugs beat amsa. i wasn't sure who i was really rooting for until hugs won and i was a little disappointed. i guess i'm a sub pub traitor).

i'm also curious about abate-swedish in r2 pools. i'll have to go back and see if that was recorded.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'd watch Zain - Wizzy if only for the ending.

I still think Axe-Mang0 was the best set all weekend, which is saying something considering every set was a heart stopper.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
so much good melee, and for once on a weekend i was busy instead of being lazy. jeez what scheduling. top 8 was insane but top 64 had so much that sounds exciting.

I went back to watch some sets I missed from saturday. Axe-s2j, amsa-sfat, amsa-wizzy. i'll probably go back and watch axe's armada loss, amsa's hbox loss, the samus ditto, and maybe some other samus sets (tho i saw hugs beat amsa. i wasn't sure who i was really rooting for until hugs won and i was a little disappointed. i guess i'm a sub pub traitor).

i'm also curious about abate-swedish in r2 pools. i'll have to go back and see if that was recorded.
I got you
https://vods.co/v/rlddkf

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
how is it possible that i'm still reading plenty of comments on the internet saying that hungrybox plays "defensive" or some sh*t.

Did people actually watch the leffen vs hungrybox matches? If it was up to leffen, he would camp the f*ck out of hungrybox for the full 8 minutes, and don't get me started on when leffen/armada take hungrybox to final destination...

Hungrybox reseted the bracket (vs plup) in like 5 minutes. He sure as hell didn't do that by playing "defensive". It's the foxes that, to minimize the chances of that happening to them, decide to interact with puff he minimun neccesary.

Puff may not play very "melee like", but, when most foxes fight hungrybox, they sure as help don't play "melee like" (i.e. agressive, interactive, exticing, etc...) either. Instead of fox and falco destroying each other, you have fox running away from puff.

Fox is not "forced" to just camp either, as he has the tools to do as he wants, but because he does have the tools to camp, he choses to do that instead.

I can't say if hungrybox is bad for melee or not, as, if it wasn't for him, top 8s would be much more varied, and we would get to see all the matchups that people want to see (like mango vs armada and such) much more often, and we would see much less fox in top 8s too, so i won't arguee against melee potentially being better without hungrybox.

However, because we do have to deal with watching hungrybox vs all these foxes, i'll say that, puff is the character that keeps things interesting in that particular matchup, not fox (which is supposed to be the character that represents what people like about melee). Fox vs puff on final destination should tell you everything you need to know about which is the character going against "the spirit of agresive, exciting melee".

And by the way, i know i look a bit crazy when i say this, but i'd like to see competitive melee with final destination banned and regular pokemon stadium replaced with frozen stadium, i think it would be much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Low level Melee can be so funny.

Peach keeps downsmashing on the top platform, so the Pikachu player just walks under the platform and uses thunder.

The Gang tournament is getting up to top 16, coming down to top 100 and some hidden boss players.

Smuckers looked super dominant at the end of that. Won 9 straight games by reverse 3-0ing Crush in losers, then 6-0ing Zain in GFs.

Last edited:

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
We are back at EVO!

I'm trying my best to not engage with all the predictable, dumb Melee hate this year.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Wizard talking about Melee eventually dying out, almost like talking about soccer dying out.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
We are back at EVO!

I'm trying my best to not engage with all the predictable, dumb Melee hate this year.

The majority of it clearly stems from willful ignorance so it's a waste of time engaging it.

I only care about EVO to the extent that it's another super major to watch, which is nice. But I work on Sundays now, lol.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a late game I'll probably catch it after work. Friday would be a bigger question mark. If it's early I might see about taking off, I need to use more time off anyway.

I haven't been practicing/playing much at all due to playing other stuff, but I think I finally got multishines figured out with Falco. I'd always try to do it too fast so I'd get a lot of jumps due to inputting the shine during jumpsquat. Feel better with my timing now even if it's not frame perfect. I'd rather be a hair slow and get the multishine than input a jump.

Anybody notice that post-Frostbite Smash 4 seems to be going through an ugly existential crisis? Not sure if it was an issue before that since I don't really follow it at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Valley VII is Saturday, another stacked regional with over a dozen top 100 players (including favorites like Hax and Abate) and a bunch of hidden bosses. Hbox is attending so it will probably be free for him, but other than that it looks like it should be pretty good.

If we can keep any activity I'll keep posting noteworthy tournaments but I won't bother if this topic is mostly dead.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i never happen to be visiting state college when a smash valley happens :(

Anybody notice that post-Frostbite Smash 4 seems to be going through an ugly existential crisis? Not sure if it was an issue before that since I don't really follow it at all.

people have been having stronger and stronger anxiety about the meta since last year. bayo handwringing. frustration over a defensive meta. zero's retirement. fewer mid-tier cinderella runs. some peoples' favorite japanese players no longer competing or travelling (RANAIIIII). dabuz being one of the people most likely to kill it now, yet Rosa being rather unpopular.

However, frostbite got hit particularly bad because of a japanese tournament that same weekend. four of the more popular and hype active pros from the west qualified for it at earlier tournaments and flew over, while lots of the remaining popular japanese players picked the home tournament's last-chance qualifier. (i think that's how it worked, at least. LCQ weekend-of). and one of the most exciting players (and solid bayo-slayers) there, ESAM, dropped out of round 2 pools with the plague.

So it was really a perfect storm of events to rub peoples' faces in their concerns for the game and its meta.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really follow Smash 4 so I don't have anything to add to the Smash 4 conversation except that Genesis was really hype. I thought Marth was supposed to be bad a few years ago, now Marth can win Genesis.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really follow Smash 4 so I don't have anything to add to the Smash 4 conversation except that Genesis was really hype. I thought Marth was supposed to be bad a few years ago, now Marth can win Genesis.
this'll be my last smash 4 off-topic post, but at some point, he got some buffs. he became good enough to become a key part of mk Leo's "i main sword users" rotation of characters. it was the brutal combo of solid buff and being pushed by a top 5 player.

um, shoot. melee content. on topic posting.

maybe i should get rid of my trinitron..... my local's venue has the hdmi adapters and they work great. i think i've gotten emotionally invested in this crt i pulled off the curb over two years ago lol.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
maybe i should get rid of my trinitron..... my local's venue has the hdmi adapters and they work great. i think i've gotten emotionally invested in this crt i pulled off the curb over two years ago lol.

I got rid of my main CRT. I still have a small one to have a setup I can take somewhere but I mostly just play on Dolphin with a low latency monitor.

I also have a Sewell adapter if I wanted to use it.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I got rid of my main CRT. I still have a small one to have a setup I can take somewhere but I mostly just play on Dolphin with a low latency monitor.

i do need to check how my computer runs the thing on dolphin. I choose a large monitor over a small tv just for gaming latency anyway.....

i've got two crts right now, as a matter of fact. the trinitron i can barely get up the stairs alone, and the small one i brought to a local once or twice in our old location. now that we're at a cybercafe instead of a community venue, there's less of a call for systems tho...

damn, with two CRTs and a potential dolphin setup i need to make more local smash friends and run some house parties. it'd only be slightly horribly crowded. two and a half setups isn't bad for house-provided supplies, right?>

Oct 25, 2017
I think more and more people are becoming unenthused by Smash 4's meta and it's starting to really show, although my perspective is probably affected by my own experience. I used to play a lot and was on my town's PR, wasn't particularly great but I'd say I was aight, but I quit last summer because I just got fucking bored of the same routine over and over. I actually went to a local yesterday for Dragon Ball and since they were sharing venues figured I'd go ahead and enter Smash too. Listened later to the commentary of my stream set:

"Oh, Sami got the first stock. Now we're gonna see why Sonic is the most annoying character in the game."
"Wait I don't get it why does he keep getting in Vici's face he should be running away"
"Sami seems to be playing like he doesn't want to win"

Every single set I lost back when I took it seriously came with advice on how I should've been more campy. I really hate the game competitively. But that's just me.

And of course that's to say nothing of Bayonetta which oh baby is that a can of worms

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona

I feel like an old man, I haven't gotten rid of my CRT and I don't use 20XX or dolphin. I used Dolphin for a bit, but my computer stopped running it properly and I've been too lazy to get it fixed.

I think more and more people are becoming unenthused by Smash 4's meta and it's starting to really show, although my perspective is probably affected by my own experience. I used to play a lot and was on my town's PR, wasn't particularly great but I'd say I was aight, but I quit last summer because I just got fucking bored of the same routine over and over. I actually went to a local yesterday for Dragon Ball and since they were sharing venues figured I'd go ahead and enter Smash too. Listened later to the commentary of my stream set:

"Oh, Sami got the first stock. Now we're gonna see why Sonic is the most annoying character in the game."
"Wait I don't get it why does he keep getting in Vici's face he should be running away"
"Sami seems to be playing like he doesn't want to win"

Every single set I lost back when I took it seriously came with advice on how I should've been more campy. I really hate the game competitively. But that's just me.

And of course that's to say nothing of Bayonetta which oh baby is that a can of worms

Yeah, this seems to be a problem with Smash 4 in general right now. I think Zero leaving for a moment is a small sign, but Dabuz and Zero have both recently uploaded video in regards to Smash 4 negativity. I think the game will be fine though, no way the Switch doesn't get a port and that will probably come with balance updates and will give the scene the surge it needs to get back to normal. Just hoping the Switch gets a Melee port or an HD version as well.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
2:25 for why people hate Hbox.

Near the end of doubles. Getting pretty good. Rishi using Luigi in teams losers finals against Abate/Lucky.

New Melee ruleset.

zMl2DGk.jpg

I didn't catch it while watching (and turned it off after grand finals game 1) but Hbox won the tournament without dropping a game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No really big tournaments this weekend but a few regionals that could be worth catching.

Phoenix Blue is a big Swedish tournament that will have a lot of EU talent attending.
Xanadu is running their last tournament and it has a lot of big name MDVA folks.
No Fun Allowed 2 is a big Texas/southern regional.

March is going to be pretty big for tournaments.

EGLX 2018 on the second weekend
The Mango on the third weekend
Full Bloom 4 on the forth weekend

And Smash Summit 6 was informally confirmed, the two highest placing non-invitees from Full Bloom 4 will get auto-invites.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Just got a Smash of -Edit: "Smash box"- from the Kickstarter. Real weird to play the game and feel completely lost and hopeless lol. Fun though, it's like getting a chance to learn and practice the controls all over again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Box you mean? I'm holding out for Smash Stick, I need my analogs. But yeah, it's probably tough to relearn.

And commentary has leveled up so much, this No Fun Allowed top 8 commentary is good.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Smash Box you mean? I'm holding out for Smash Stick, I need my analogs. But yeah, it's probably tough to relearn.

And commentary has leveled up so much, this No Fun Allowed top 8 commentary is good.
Oops, yeah, that's the one.

Caught Phoenix Blue Grands earlier, was pretty cool. NFA sounds fun, guess I'll try to watch some of it.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That Mike Haze Bananas set was crazy. Reverse 3-0 with a heart-attacking inducing last-game-last-stock situation.

I won't lie, that nair-atives pun made me laugh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Jerry sitting in winners side of grand finals for the final Xanadu.

Beat lloD and Chudat to get there, that's two top 30 wins.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
HugS was originally my favorite player circa 2005, so I'm glad he's still Down-smashing kicking. His play style was the easiest to understand/appreciate in the beginning. I would probably main Samus if most of her games didn't take 4–5 minutes or longer. She's not great in doubles either.

Speaking of which, does anyone have specific advice for a Fox in a Fox–Sheik team? I've watched plenty of Team Alliance matches but my Fox is more Plup-esque in a team that can't just out-muscle others in 1v1s like M2K/Plup do.

By the way, is this not the worst Nair of all time? (It's probably not.) With how much I've been playing recently, I suppose I'll stop lurking—I got ranked in my joke of a region again. Do we have a Discord server?

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There is a discord but I don't know if it has really been used since the forum move.

And that looks like a case of bad decision making by Armada. It looks like he wanted to jump all the way out to hit him but hesitated at the last second and decided to try to land back on stage, which put him in an awful position. Maybe he thought it might KO at first but realized it wouldn't. If he had at least jumped all the way out with nair (or reverse bair) he would have been in better position to get back on stage.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Armada uses the C-stick for aerials, but it looked like a failed Up-air to me because Chu was holding in and it would have been a KO. Maybe he thought he was playing Peach for a second? That kind of thing happens to me sometimes; I think a character has Shine and press Down-b by second nature. In any case, he paid dearly for that mistake.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Won't lie, I don't have any hype for a new Smash game. Melee was a happy accident that will never be recreated. I don't think I put enough time into Smash 4 to justify buying Smash 5. I don't even think I unlocked all the characters.

More interested in Icons, lol.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if it's like Smash 4 then I'll just end up going back to Melee, don't even feel like we really *need* an HD version at this point although of course I'd welcome it. Interesting thing about the new Smash logo is...well it's the same font as the Melee logo:

Oct 25, 2017
Won't lie, I don't have any hype for a new Smash game. Melee was a happy accident that will never be recreated. I don't think I put enough time into Smash 4 to justify buying Smash 5. I don't even think I unlocked all the characters.

More interested in Icons, lol.
Yeah I've become really sour on Smash 4, and that's after many many many hours cumulated over a full two years of being mainly a Smash 4 player.

It's boring.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a Discord server?

Quote for Discord. It doesn't really see much, if any use, outside of tournaments, and even then it's usually just during top 8.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Also Smash Summit 6 with a comic theme should be pretty neat. Can't wait to cringe at the voting sell-out period.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
EGLX is this weekend, first of the back to back to back tournaments. I'm out of town and can't watch though.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
EGLX is pretty good so far. Unfortunately they just played Zain v Crush off stream, but Toph was able to periscope it.

Next week is the mango tournament right?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Watching two of my favorite Melee players (M2K vs aMSa) face off each other in losers always breaks my heart :'(

this was the state of my heart yesterday for the amsa vs axe match yesterday, but Amsa has made good on that sacrifice. POWER OF FRIENDSHIIIIP.

time to practice on the crt next to my monitor while watching top 4