• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Yea I just said screw it. Turning on low latency helped me a bit, but I was still getting hitches from time to time and it was bothering me like crazy, so I just switched to DX11 and called it a day. I'd rather have a smooth experience than RT. Hopefully Remedy issues a patch that will eventually help with the frametime spikes on DX12.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Did Division 2 ever get patched to fix the dx12 frametime spiked and did Ubisoft give a reason for it?

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
Same here switched to DX11 and enjoying 60fps with rubble and paper flying everywhere. In the beginning when everything was smooth maxed with RTX my eyes focused more on the shitty broken up hair strands, ugly shadows crawling on her neck and certain walls.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Tried launching the game in DX11 for the first time and screw this, I can run the game in 1440p instead of 1080p with the same framerate as before and zero stutter. Looks just as good to my rube eyes, I even took some comparison screenshots to check.

I don't think I'm going back to DX12 and raytracing.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Can I run at native 1440p 60fps without raytracing on a 2080? Tempted to do a play through on dx11 cos frametime issue annoy me

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I am at the middle part of the game and my 1080ti cannot keep 1080/60 with highest settings. Had to put volumetric to medium and SMAA to 2x and now it runs almost locked.
A bit strange, as some people are running the game in 1440p with the same gpu.
I had a lot of stutters, until I've put low latency to ON. Running in dx12 as in dx11 in some locations the game runs in 30fps.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I am at the middle part of the game and my 1080ti cannot keep 1080/60 with highest settings. Had to put volumetric to medium and SMAA to 2x and now it runs almost locked.
A bit strange, as some people are running the game in 1440p with the same gpu.
I had a lot of stutters, until I've put low latency to ON. Running in dx12 as in dx11 in some locations the game runs in 30fps.
I think the v-sync implementation in DX11 is different to DX12, and is only double buffered. This means if you drop below 60 you'll be locked to 30.

I'd suggest turning v-sync off and then forcing it through the nvidia control panel (select adaptive). Game will need a restart but it'll be far better.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hey guys... Anybody ever got issues with the cloud saves on EGS?

I tried to play the game from work during my lunch break and it didn't sync my cloud save properly so I ended up not playing.

Now that I'm back home, when I hit play in EGS and it's currently stuck on Cloud Sync... It has been "syncing" for like 20min now.

I've been playing it on two separate machines in two separate locations and the cloud save has worked fine for me.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that's normal of you have RT on but if not no. With it off you should be getting 70-90fps

have the same setup, running it on 1080p with 50-60fps, no dssl.
Will try 1440p with dssl in the next day's and hope to get 45-50 locked, maybe take down some effects a notch (waiting on the DF analysis first).
Have you tried it with dssl on?

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing at 4K (DLSS 1080) with all max settings except Volumetric Lights at Medium, and it's been running at around 45-55 fps. Playing on 65 C9 OLED with a 2080 and a 5930k at 4.4GHz, and it's pretty smooth. The only annoying part is that the game has a really blurry look. DLSS has a lot of aliasing still there (from character's hair to small lines across windows, steps, etc).

The RTX stuff is really cool. Seeing enemy reflections on glass and thinking there is another enemy there is something we'll have to learn in the future. The story seems crazy so far (still very early), but it's intriguing enough. I don't play shooters normally, but I seem to be doing okay in the early stages. The abilities are fun to use. Let's see how it progresses.

Below is a 4K 60fps capture of some exploration and combat:

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm still using a 7700K and playing at 1440p with G-Sync, would it be worth the money to upgrade from my 1080ti to a 2080ti so I can use RTX? Or would that CPU hold it back too much?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm still using a 7700K and playing at 1440p with G-Sync, would it be worth the money to upgrade from my 1080ti to a 2080ti so I can use RTX? Or would that CPU hold it back too much?

Wait for the next generation of RTX cards.

Upgrading from a 1080ti to a 2080ti is def not worth it.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
have the same setup, running it on 1080p with 50-60fps, no dssl.
Will try 1440p with dssl in the next day's and hope to get 45-50 locked, maybe take down some effects a notch (waiting on the DF analysis first).
Have you tried it with dssl on?
If you're going to use dssl at 1440p it'll drop the resolution to either 720p or 960p. With high/medium settings and High RT you should be getting 60-70fps with 80 being the highest. It dipped down to the mid 50s once but it could have been the stutter I was getting before turning on latency mode in the Nvidia control panel which helped a bit.

It'll appear pretty blurry at 960p but if you use the sharpen filter with GeForce experience at around 50% it actually mitigates most of that and pretty well too.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
If you're going to use dssl at 1440p it'll drop the resolution to either 720p or 960p. With high/medium settings and High RT you should be getting 60-70fps with 80 being the highest. It dipped down to the mid 50s once but it could have been the stutter I was getting before turning on latency mode in the Nvidia control panel which helped a bit.

It'll appear pretty blurry at 960p but if you use the sharpen filter with GeForce experience at around 50% it actually mitigates most of that and pretty well too.

Sounds like a plan, thanks. The sharpening filter is applied through gforce experience, right?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017

If RTX is your main reason for the upgrade I'd personally say wait for next gen. Its definitely better now than it was on release with these current gen cards but in my opinion still far from ideal with the perform cost to visuals.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
turned low latency to "on" as opposted to "ultra".

still getting random dips/ hiccups to 45fps randomly.... might be dx12?

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
That is correct. Just bring up the overlay in game and add the filter and change the percentage to whatever you think looks good. At 960p I'd say 50% is a good starting point.

Thanks, thing is I am not actually playing this on a 1440p screen, but on a 1080p projector, so I am not even sure I will benefit from playing it in downsampled 1440p but I am curious.

Oct 27, 2017
Try turning your overclock down if you are running your cards overclocked. I use a lower overclock for all raytraced titles because my daily OC on my 2080ti is stable on anything except raytraced games, I think it has something to do with the rtx cores being used as well.

Tonight I forgot to switch my OC down before playing and I had a ton of stutters, turned it back down and stuttering went away.

Just something else to try, The low latency has gotten rid of all stutters for me (except when I was running my higher OC tonight), Sucks it didn't work for you.

I hadn't thought of this. My OC isn't aggressive but I'll give this a shot when I get home from work to see what happens at least.

When were you getting stuttering? Mine only seem to happen during combat

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

The 2080 Ti will be a year old next month, and 1080p60 with maxed-out RTX has become the de facto standard. You might as well sit on your hands for another 6-odd months and see what the 30 series/AMD's first round of ray tracing cards bring to the table.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Do you really think the 3000 series is going to be out in six months? It took them 3 years to go from the 10 series to the 20 series.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for the next generation of RTX cards.

Upgrading from a 1080ti to a 2080ti is def not worth it.
If RTX is your main reason for the upgrade I'd personally say wait for next gen. Its definitely better now than it was on release with these current gen cards but in my opinion still far from ideal with the perform cost to visuals.
The 2080 Ti will be a year old next month, and 1080p60 with maxed-out RTX has become the de facto standard. You might as well sit on your hands for another 6-odd months and see what the 30 series/AMD's first round of ray tracing cards bring to the table.

Cool, will wait then. Thanks!

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Just wait. You don't get a great performance for RT even with the 2080ti. None of the RTX cards handle RT particularly well and pretty much require DLSS to even get playable framerates.

Gunztrix

Oct 28, 2017
I have a GTX 1080. I get 50~60 fps at 1440p. I won't be upgrading my GPU untill the next set of RTX cards come out. It's not worth it at this point.

Nov 8, 2017
Do you really think the 3000 series is going to be out in six months? It took them 3 years to go from the 10 series to the 20 series.

10 series: May 2016
20 series: Sep 2018

2 and 1/3 years. 2 years is about what we expect from them on average. Q4 2020 alongside next gen consoles is definitely possible, and even Q3 isn't totally off the table imo. There is an obvious direction for them to go - ship the same stuff (with minor revisions) on 7nm, so it doesn't seem crazy to imagine a <2 year cycle in principle.

Oct 25, 2017
Game doesnt seem to use triple buffering. anyone know if there's a way to make it use triple buffering without resorting to borderless gaming?

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

I can't be certain, of course, but the fact the 20 series launched with a Ti suggests a shorter gap. Couple that with the recent announcement that Samsung 7nm EUV will be Nvidia's process of choice and I'd say it's entirely possible we'll see the 30 series no later than Q2.

In any case, on the AMD side of things, I think it's quite safe to assume it has pencilled in Big Navi for Q1/Q2, which is almost certainly going to sport some form of hardware-accelerated ray tracing.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I played up until the first boss yesterday. DLSS 1440p to 4k, every other setting maxed out (no MSAA, which is disabled by DLSS), all raytracing features activated. The game was consistently running in 60 fps with some rare drops just below that occasionally.

Specs: [email protected], 2080ti with curve overclock, 16 Gb DDR4@3600Mhz, installed on ssd, windows 10 64 bit

Maybe try restarting your computer. I had some serious bugs when switching various settings, which were resolved by restarting

So I understand, you're playing at 4k but using DLSS @ 1440p? And getting a consistent 60fps? Even with volumetric fog or whatever at High...?

I was not getting a consistent 60 until I dropped DLSS down to 1080p...

Tried launching the game in DX11 for the first time and screw this, I can run the game in 1440p instead of 1080p with the same framerate as before and zero stutter. Looks just as good to my rube eyes, I even took some comparison screenshots to check.

I don't think I'm going back to DX12 and raytracing.

That's disheartening to hear. Ray tracing here completes the experience imo. Hopefully they come out with a performance patch relatively soon.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't be certain, of course, but the fact the 20 series launched with a Ti suggests a shorter gap.
I kind of see Nvidia launching 3080 Ti in 2020 Q1 and then 30 series will trickle down to lesser cards during the year, meaning 3070/3060 will launch about a year after current SUPER cards.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait. You don't get a great performance for RT even with the 2080ti. None of the RTX cards handle RT particularly well and pretty much require DLSS to even get playable framerates.

Are you talking about just this game or what? Because a 2080Ti can do 1080p60 with high settings and ray tracing in all of the available titles save for maybe this one.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about just this game or what? Because a 2080Ti can do 1080p60 with high settings and ray tracing in all of the available titles save for maybe this one.
Not only that, but I was playing around with settings last night and a 2080ti can actually get you a pretty good 50-60 fps at 1440p if you bring the non-RT settings down to medium and turn off the RT indirect lighting, so even in this game I'd say I'm pretty happy with the performance of this card

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So I understand, you're playing at 4k but using DLSS @ 1440p? And getting a consistent 60fps? Even with volumetric fog or whatever at High...?

I was not getting a consistent 60 until I dropped DLSS down to 1080p...

Yes, playing at 4k but DLSS @ 1440p, all other settings maxed out, volumetric lighting high. Mostly consistent 60 fps. Some small drops occasionally. This is with the reservation that I have only played up until the first boss, so my performance may well become worse down the line.

How far do you overclock your CPU and GPU?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

I didn't buy a 2080ti for 1080p60, even with RT. I bought one for 2160p/60 or 1440p/60 and RT isn't really doable at those framerates on any RTX card, especially the former. If you just want 1080p60 and RT then yea, the 2080ti can do that, but if RT is your biggest interest then your best bet is to just wait for the 3000 series cards where RT performance will likely get a fairly significant bump.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
As nice as Ray tracing looks with max settings with DLSS I still prefer how the game looks at a native 4k with lower settings. I can play the game at native 4k at 60 fps. I still do get random frame rate drops when lots of physics destruction is going on, hopefully that's cpu related, my cpu is really old.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, playing at 4k but DLSS @ 1440p, all other settings maxed out, volumetric lighting high. Mostly consistent 60 fps. Some small drops occasionally. This is with the reservation that I have only played up until the first boss, so my performance may well become worse down the line.

I've a 9900k @ 4.8, but at 4k you're mostly GPU bound. When you say first "boss" are you talking about the first time an enemy has a "health" bar under them? If so I think I know where you are. Keep playing, and I'm curious if it holds at 60. I have a small OC on my 2080ti of +150/+600.

I didn't buy a 2080ti for 1080p60, even with RT. I bought one for 2160p/60 or 1440p/60 and RT isn't really doable at those framerates on any RTX card, especially the former. If you just want 1080p60 and RT then yea, the 2080ti can do that, but if RT is your biggest interest then your best bet is to just wait for the 3000 series cards where RT performance will likely get a fairly significant bump.

Yes I realize the 2080ti is expensive, but so is real time ray tracing. This is the first gen of it, and you CAN get 1080p60 with RTX on in just about every title, even without a 2080Ti. They do handle ray tracing well, you're just not accustomed to having to sacrifice resolution for it. I bought my 2080Ti for ray tracing and 4k performance. For the latter it's been a great card, and when I do use ray tracing, it works well there too. If you bought into the first generation of new consumer technology without completely understanding what comes with that, that's on you, not the card.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

I'm interested in how you're achieving this as well. Not sure how you're getting a consistent 60 at 4k and 1440 DLSS. Mine is mostly in the 50s even with volumetric lighting turned down to medium and everything else maxed.

2080ti
16gb

My 2080ti has a +180/+500 OC as well.

As nice as Ray tracing looks with max settings with DLSS I still prefer how the game looks at a native 4k with lower settings. I can play the game at native 4k at 60 fps. I still do get random frame rate drops when lots of physics destruction is going on, hopefully that's cpu related, my cpu is really old.

Native 4k and max settings (no RT) had my fps in the 40s. How are you getting 60?

Last edited:

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've a 9900k @ 4.8, but at 4k you're mostly GPU bound. When you say first "boss" are you talking about the first time an enemy has a "health" bar under them? If so I think I know where you are. Keep playing, and I'm curious if it holds at 60. I have a small OC on my 2080ti of +150/+600.
I think the boss was called Tommasi, he killed me three times and then I took a break for the day. I will test the frame rate further when I get home.