• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
RHCP's Californication is a masterpiece and the final 20th century encapsulation of the best of California beach pop.

Phish is the band RHCP wishes it was

Umphrey's McGee is the band Phish wishes it was.

But then again Umphrey's McGee can sound like King Crimson & Rush at times which makes them infinitely more awesome. Phish is stuck in "Let's fellate the ghost of Jerry Garcia" mode 24/7.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this leads to far less substantive discussions than the gaming opinions.
Music is completely subjective. Some song I can't stand from a group I like may move someone else to tears.

On that note:

it's stupid and useless to discuss musical tastes with anyone unless they specifically like the singer/band/group you like. If you don't like an artist, a message board post isn't going to change your opinion.

Also, posting song lyrics? There's 30 seconds of your life you're never getting back. Who reads those things?!

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Random Access Memories is the biggest let down of this century and sounds like literal elevator music at times. And it ruined Daft Punk's artwork streak.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Led Zeppelin are cheesy and corny as fuck

The Smashing Pumpkins are trash and Disarm makes me cringe

Sex Pistols aren't that bad, but the fact that they overshadow almost every other great british punk band from that time is a disgrace. The Damned were leagues better and more fun

Tame Impala are rubbish, incredibly derivative and they bring nothing new to the table in terms of psychedelic music

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Nightfall in Middle Earth isn't good, let alone a masterpiece.

Legendary Tales and Symphony of Enchanted Lands are wholly outclassed by Dawn of Victory.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Eminem is more "important" to hip hop than he is actually a good rapper with any classic albums.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Jazz is the worst form of non-electronic music. Most of it is bordering on random notes at random intervals, and very limp notes and intervals at that. It defines style over substance.

Its earliest form, ragtime, is good though. And there is one jazz song I do like - it actually has melody and a consistent rhythm!

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
...What if, and open your mind real wide now, people heard their songs and... liked them?

I hate Queen with a passion, but I would never presume anything about the people that like them.

The most utterly inane, arrogant and completely meaningless musical opinions are the one's where people conjure up the reasons others like something they don't. They have literally no grounding in anything approaching reality and say more about the person who spouts them off than anything else.
Nope.

The majority of people are bandwagon jumpers and that's okay. I remember distinctly in the early 2000s hearing a Maroon 5 song a few months before they hit it big and getting really excited about this weird pop-rock-funk band I found with the angry lyrics juxtaposed to catchy melodies. I imported Songs About Jane and listened to it on repeat over and over and tried to get other people into it, but nobody did until This Love became the most overplayed radio song of 2003.

Even then, I tried to convince people to try their other stuff. One friend I played Sunday Morning to told me "It's okay, but I didn't really like it...". Months later, when Sunday Morning became a radio hit, she declared it to be her favourite song of all time. I pointed out her earlier assessment and do you know what she said to me? "I guess I heard it four or five times on the radio and it sort of grew on me."

It's the effect of repetition. You hear something and first you hate it or don't get it. Listen to it a few times and it grows on you and eventually you won't be able to get it out of your head.

Some very cool people in the 90s declared Radiohead to be the ultimate and bandwagon Gen-Xers jumped on that there wagon. It helps too that they're brilliant and influential and continue to be relevant. Musically and performance wise though? They're difficult, layered, complicated and way too esoteric for how popular they are.

I put them in the same bucket as Bob Dylan, honestly.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I understand what you're saying. I know about the effect of repetition. Yet still...

Opinions that generalise listeners as opposed to criticising the music itself lack any kind of substance. They are the height of conceit, betray the speaker's (likely) unfounded pretensions, and are an utterly meaningless avenue to explore.

May God have mercy on your soul.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
While once good a long time ago, Country Music has lost its soul and is now used to sell whatever genre was popular among white people 20-30 years ago except adding a twang to it.

In contrast

Rap has been getting better and better and has become one of the most musically diverse and genres around.

Other things

Woman's vocals work better with rock and metal than near any men's vocals.

Dubstep was a creative and underrated genre.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you're saying. I know about the effect of repetition. Yet still...

Opinions that generalise listeners as opposed to criticising the music itself lack any kind of substance. They are the height of conceit, betray the speaker's (likely) unfounded pretensions, and are an utterly meaningless avenue to explore.

May God have mercy on your soul.
Thank you for the well wishes. I imagine though that if or when I answer to the Almighty, it won't be my opinions on music that will weigh heaviest in assessing the fate of my immortal soul.

The point I'm trying to make is that Radiohead do not make easily digestible radio hits. It follows therefore that they ought to be a niche act that gets spoken about in breathless whispers among musicians and a small cadre of devoted listeners but have little relevance in the mainstream. This is at odds with how big their following actually is.

However, they seem to have become some kind of shibboleth for cool kids in the 90s, so liking Radiohead became sort of mandatory for a whole generation. If you didn't like Radiohead, you weren't "in", and in a subculture where being "in" is everything, it meant that even if you heard their music the first time and hated it, you were damn well going to learn to like it.

EDIT: You went to high school. You know how that works.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the well wishes. I imagine though that if or when I answer to the Almighty, it won't be my opinions on music that will weigh heaviest in assessing the fate of my immortal soul.

Well played :)

The point I'm trying to make is that Radiohead do not make easily digestible radio hits. It follows therefore that they ought to be a niche act that gets spoken about in breathless whispers among musicians and a small cadre of devoted listeners but have little relevance in the mainstream. This is at odds with how big their following actually is.

However, they seem to have become some kind of shibboleth for cool kids in the 90s, so liking Radiohead became sort of mandatory for a whole generation. If you didn't like Radiohead, you weren't "in", and in a subculture where being "in" is everything, it meant that even if you heard their music the first time and hated it, you were damn well going to learn to like it.

Again, I get precisely what you're saying. It's just what you are saying is utter guff. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
This isn't precisely a 'controversial opinion' so much as it is something really corny (that you could technically call an opinion) I'd like to admit about myself—I basically live by the lyrics of this NOFX song:

Allow yourself a little hate
Hatred is not so bad
When directed at injustice
You can turn the other cheek
Just don't turn the other way

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
British rock music > American rock music

Modern British hip hop & grime > Modern American hip hop

If a popular rock band would release a song as misogynistic as Bad and Boujee, their career would be over in an instant.

90's hip hop has aged way worse than 90's rock. Public Enemy has aged like fine wine.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Devo doesn't get enough respect from punk rock fans
Puscifer and APC are both better than tool
Lindsay Buckingham and Peter Frampton deserve more respect as guitarists
Let It Be wasn't that great of an album aside from a few songs

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Knocked Loose is one of the most interesting Hardcore bands in about a decade and are on the forefront of reviving the genre (along with bands like Vein and Turnstile, but I consider Knocked Loose a step above either of them).

Let It Be wasn't that great of an album aside from a few songs

That's probably why they recorded a whole other album and released that rather than Let It Be.

Oct 27, 2017
these two opinions together is beautiful. This is what being a Hopsin fan does to your brain.
The fuck is that supposed to mean? Where did I even mention Hopsin, or trash all of modern hip-hop as one homogenous sound, or even insinuate anything of the like? Corny is overused as FUCK in hip-hop discussions in place of actual legit critique and autotune does indeed suck butt, not to mention being beyond oversaturated at the moment. This is another incredibly annoying quality of current hip-hop discussions. You can't even criticize or dislike anything about the scene without getting bullshit "lol dusty old head" comments back.

Knocked Loose is one of the most interesting Hardcore bands in about a decade and are on the forefront of reviving the genre (along with bands like Vein and Turnstile, but I consider Knocked Loose a step above either of them).
This should not be controversial. Knocked Loose are amazing.

Last edited:

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
The fuck is that supposed to mean? Where did I even mention Hopsin, or trash modern hip-hop or even insinuate anything of the like? Corny is overused as FUCK in hip-hop discussions and autotune does indeed suck butt.

Autotune hasn't been the problem with modern hip-hop in quite some time. In fact, a lot of artists don't rely on it in the same way they did 10 years ago--during the era where Kanye made a whole album in Autotune and T-Pain was on every track. What you're probably more annoyed about is the rise of "Soundcloud Rappers". The guys making sub-3 minute songs that are super repetitive and rely on catchiness more than anything.

This should not be controversial. Knocked Loose are amazing.

Shouldn't be, but surprisingly they are a super divisive band in the Hardcore world. A lot of people accuse them of trying to "streamline" hardcore with a return from the DIY style back to well produced well crafted music. The reality is the bands I listed are the first "new" Hardcore bands that came up in a proper Hardcore scene in about 20 years, and they are making great music.

Oct 27, 2017
Autotune hasn't been the problem with modern hip-hop in quite some time. In fact, a lot of artists don't rely on it in the same way they did 10 years ago--during the era where Kanye made a whole album in Autotune and T-Pain was on every track. What you're probably more annoyed about is the rise of "Soundcloud Rappers". The guys making sub-3 minute songs that are super repetitive and rely on catchiness more than anything.
Yes.

Shouldn't be, but surprisingly they are a super divisive band in the Hardcore world. A lot of people accuse them of trying to "streamline" hardcore with a return from the DIY style back to well produced well crafted music. The reality is the bands I listed are the first "new" Hardcore bands that came up in a proper Hardcore scene in about 20 years, and they are making great music.

I'm from more of a classic "metal" scene where anything "core" is immediately brushed off so I guess I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the hardcore scene and what's "cool" and what isn't.

I just know Knocked Loose are a super unique sound and they do rock.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon

I don't think there's really anything wrong with Dream Theater. They're pretty corny at times, but I don't personally think the band itself is pretentious, it's more the fanbase that lords them over most other genres of music and bands in the prog scene. Sure, they can wank on their guitars for 5 minutes at a time, but to me that's at least a demonstration of skill and when I'm in the right mood I can enjoy it.

MBV kind of seemed a little bit too "high minded" for me when I heard about the "holocaust" section they do live. They essentially blow out feedback for up to a half hour as their closing song. Loveless is still a great album, but I just think super high-concept stuff like this is annoying haha (talking about what starts around 3:00):

That being said though, I'd probably still go to experience it if they came to my town. I can look past pretentiousness if I like the music enough.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...calling an entire genre "silly" is....a little silly.

Nah, not really. It wouldn't necessarily be wrong to describe the entire genre of, say, comedy music as "a bit silly", would it...?

Metals like that. It's comedy music. Just a bit... silly. Doubly so when it takes itself seriously. It has nothing to do with whether it's good or bad and everything to with the pomp and trappings surrounding it.

MBV kind of seemed a little bit too "high minded" for me when I heard about the "holocaust" section they do live. They essentially blow out feedback for up to a half hour as their closing song. Loveless is still a great album, but I just think super high-concept stuff like this is annoying haha (talking about what starts around 3:00):

That being said though, I'd probably still go to experience it if they came to my town. I can look past pretentiousness if I like the music enough.

I've seen them and that section has a literal physical effect (other than hearing damage). I'd had one beer the entire night (all I could afford), but that noise went through me like waves of MDMA. Incredible stuff.

Last edited:

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I absolutely hate Neil Young's voice. I love covers of his songs because they're great songs, but I can't get past the dude's muppet voice.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I take it you haven't heard more than 3 metal songs in your life if you think that's all the lyrics talk about.
Awww.
Again, it's just another bad take in a huge list of idiotic takes here. I really don't care what people listen to. But one of my best friends is crazy about metal (and then the darkest versions of it ) and we always try to ridicule eachother's taste in music. I always tell him: Punk is mostly legit about being angry at real stuff. Metal is often about stuff that isn't even real in the frist place. Perfect for ex-religious people. Acting agry about stuff that isn't real. It's adorable.

That's what i always tell him and then he gets mad (and then he goes on about how silly the stuff is that i like). It's just for fun mate. I even like some metal. Especially the really really dark stuff. But in general, i don't really like it. And i have a really wide taste in music. In all honesty, it does look rather silly to me in most cases. Especially the lighter versions of metal and hardrock. But people should do what they like and own it. I like it when people have a completely different taste than i have and i like it most when they love it without shame. When they really just say: "yeah well fuck it, i love it". When people get ashamed or defensive ... it's a shame. Just like what you like. It's all so personal.

It's absolutely pointless to really argue about taste in music.

People just come in her and say "this sucks". And it's all based on nothing else but what resonates well in your head. It's never about skill. And even then, skill doesn't mean anything in music. Steve Vai is skilled and i never liked a note he played. There is no one truth in taste in music.
Try to be openminded (in everything) and see where that gets you. I do. And i like a lot but not everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Menome

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: You went to high school. You know how that works.

I got into Radiohead when I was about 12-13 years old, around 1999-2000. At the time they were decidedly the uncool choice amongst my friends, who were all getting into stuff like Korn, Slipknot and Marilyn Manson.

Oct 27, 2017
Metals like that. It's comedy music. Just a bit... silly. Doubly so when it takes itself seriously. It has nothing to do with whether it's good or bad and everything to with the pomp and trappings surrounding it.

I don't think you've been exposed to a lot of metal bands or their music if you think they all have the same pomp and trappings around them, but you do you.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Hotel California is a definitively bad song.

Rush sucks. I don't care how technically impressive their bad music is. It's unpleasant to listen to. There's a reason their sound is unique. It's a trash sound.

Is that unpopular?

Pink floyd is boring as shit

They hated you because you told the truth.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How can you listen to One, Disposable Heroes, or Master of Puppets and many more and say Metallica is a bad band?

Oct 28, 2017
California
Pink Floyd is definitely boring as shit.

Weezer's The Blue Album is their only good album, but it's better than anything The Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, or The Talking Heads ever released.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Jazz is the worst form of non-electronic music. Most of it is bordering on random notes at random intervals, and very limp notes and intervals at that. It defines style over substance.

Its earliest form, ragtime, is good though. And there is one jazz song I do like - it actually has melody and a consistent rhythm!

you need to listen to more jazz.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you've been exposed to a lot of metal bands or their music if you think they all have the same pomp and trappings around them, but you do you.

You would be very wrong about that... and I wish to God herself that you were right.

Feel free to post an example of Metal that isn't silly. I'd love to hear some.