• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Damn, did all of you just fall off the turnip truck yesterday? He's obviously doing this because he KNOWS we'll assume it means it's getting delayed to 2023 so we can be extra happy surprised in a couple weeks when they announce a Sept 2022 release date. He's such a funny troll!

Oct 25, 2017
Update is there is no update. They were quiet wouldn't it be better to just stay quiet? Tho I guess gamers probably been hounding him and the team

Jan 11, 2018
I agree, people are gonna bring up RDR2 but I don't think this is the same situation.

True, 2018 had the classic series being reinvented angle, this does not. But I do think the sheer quality of the game could put it over the edge. Also, don't forget people love narratives in games, and if this game pulls off a well written, emotional story again, it will certainly give it points over ER's typical soulslike story. Also if it releases in November, it will have the recency bias advantage as well. We'll see what happens.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I agree, people are gonna bring up RDR2 but I don't think this is the same situation.

It is pretty much the same situation. If anything I think it would have been more likely for BOTW2 to not win because of Elden Ring (lack of focus on narrative and are competing on similar tems) than GOW R which is playing to different strengths

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% the same situation lol:

-RDR2 was a massively more popular game
-RDR2 reviewed better
-People thought RDR2 would sweep all the awards and win GOTY
The conversations around game design that ER started, and the longevity the game has had in the zeitgeist seem on another level from RDR2.

This is totally just based on observation so I could be wrong.

But not to mention you also have to consider the other side of the situation- Ragnarok (and BotW2 if it released this year actually) are gonna be more iterative sequels to what were innovative, franchise redefining games. Not to say they won't introduce new mechanics, and not to say they won't be amazing games, but it remains to be seen how that will affect reception/awards.

I foresee lots of fans considering the sequels superior games, but in terms of games media they probably won't make *as big* of an impact as the novelty of the first ones were able to.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Any hope for a summer release has passed, but I am still 99% confident that Ragnarok is still coming in 2022.
Summer is all the way until the end of September, we're good.

Ragnarök may have every chance of blowing away the critics and fans in the same way Elden Ring did, as did RDR2 and GoW in 2018.

I agree I just remember people freaking out because of the cross-gen.
We saw some knee jerk responses from that news, but I'm sure Sony was able to filter out the noise and know what the production actually needs.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This has been a 2023 title from the jump as far as I'm concerned. That announcement is a matter of "when," not "if."

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
lmao they get to celebrate the release of their game on 4/20 every year??

are they hiring?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Given what devs and Schreier have said, I don't think this message guarantees a delay to 2023 at all.

They just wanted to say something on the anniversary, but it wasn't the time to do the big reveal.

Sony likely want that announcement for Summer Games Fest.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Cool update. You guys should calm down. Sometimes games release on schedule and sometimes they get delayed.

Relax, find something else to do.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's good they're holding off until they have something of good quality to show off, ideally along with a release date. It'll be interesting to see when that's going to be the case.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I also don't think it would beat Elden Ring at TGA, but it would prevent Elden Ring from winning basically 95% of the various media outlet GOTY awards.

As of now, it will probably break the record for all time GOTY wins unless GoW comes out or Starfield lives up to the hype.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
2023 is indeed coming, but can Ragnarök keep up?

If folks are speculating over an "update" that SMS feels obliged to give on the 4th anniversary, I'll add my own to the mix. Cinematics producer returning to the office to work on something super exciting - could it be that a new trailer is in the process of being cut… including a release date?

For me summer ends on Labor day so September is really Fall.
Hmmm, there's still a chance it could be ready to launch by September - I don't think we're past that point yet.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
They could take until 2024 I'd be fine with it. I just want them to deliver the best game possible.

Ilyahero

Nov 25, 2019
Tga will be very interesting: horizon vs Elden ring vs god of war vs starfield vs Bayonetta 3 vs smth else like Gotham knights or Hogwarts legacy

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There's literally a tweet from one of the devs today on the previous page confirming its 2022.
Well, get the plate of crow ready then!
food-winnie-the-pooh.gif

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
First off, hope he's doing well, saw that he left Twitter a bit ago and some of the things he seemed to be going through did not sound like easy times. Genuinely hope the best for him and anyone else on the team or not on the team.

Second off, surprised he did this when he seems to not really be on the project but I guess it make's sense with him being the face of the current ip direction.

Lastly, take your time, no rush, while I would love to be playing this yesterday, as a day 1 fan of the franchise whose favorite entry is 2018, I'd rather they take all the time needed. I'm there day 0 when they're ready for me and in my head it's already preordered and platinumed on both ps5 and pc.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If this game is 2023 then WTF else does Sony have first party wise for the second half of the year...

Kratos2098

Banned
Feb 18, 2022
Idk why we have some acting like this is a sure bet for getting delayed. It's only April and we didn't get a date, previews, or much of anything for God of War 2018 until 3 months prior to launch. They can start marketing this in June and release it in September/October still. If there is still a chance Starfield is coming this year then there is plenty of time for God of War as well.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Take your time, keep that stuff secret until it's almost ready. Game will be super good for sure, I trust that team.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
That REALLY makes it sound like 2023 to me.

If do, no biggie but then I wonder, what is Sony doing for the 2nd half of this year?!