• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It would have been nothing to reaffirm the 2022 date on the update. "We are very excited about the games release later this year." "We are just about to finish development of the game and can't wait to show you more" Etc, etc. The fact that they didn't is what is making people doubt the 2022 release IMO.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Not too bothered if it is delayed to next year. Playing Horizon Forbidden West, it felt like that game also needed about 2-3 more months of polishing before it shipped.

Jan 11, 2018
It would have been nothing to reaffirm the 2022 date on the update. "We are very excited about the games release later this year." "We are just about to finish development of the game and can't wait to show you more" Etc, etc. The fact that they didn't is what is making people doubt the 2022 release IMO.

Purposeful. He's a troll, he wanted to see us all in a tizzy on here :p

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Also doubt it's 2022. But it's nice to see his face! Game is going to be something fiercely incredible!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Soooo... are we getting flying mounts in this one or nah?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I just hope PS5 version cuts out the "hidden" load screens that the PS4 version will need. It's a vestigial remnant of last gen and hard to ignore

Oct 25, 2017
take your time. can't wait for the game, GOW 2018 is brilliant and of my favorite ps4 games. I was really happy when it won GOTY over (the extremely overrated) RDR2. Ragnarok looked amazing going by it's latest trailer, i'm sure they will release yet another classic.

Jan 11, 2018

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Projects can be pretty far along and look "not ready to be shown". Additionally, it could just be certain aspects not ready, such as the specific scene, gameplay element or plot point they want to highlight in the first big "real" gameplay trailer. You can have studios pretty sure they'll make the date...but not if they spend a bunch of worker hours on building something special for PR. It could be tied to marketing or Sony waiting to see if something else comes in before they lock a date or "and it's available now!" (which lol but would be bonkers for something this size. SOMEONE will do it eventually.)

I don't think you can read into it in any direction. All just guessing.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Well, like this the internet is abuzz and everyone's wildly speculating.
Just according to Keikakü.

Is "tighten up the graphics on level 3" a reference to something?

That's what I wondered too. I saw some here snickering about it, so they must be aware of something we aren't. :/

Jan 11, 2018
Projects can be pretty far along and look "not ready to be shown". Additionally, it could just be certain aspects not ready, such as the specific scene, gameplay element or plot point they want to highlight in the first big "real" gameplay trailer. You can have studios pretty sure they'll make the date...but not if they spend a bunch of worker hours on building something special for PR. It could be tied to marketing or Sony waiting to see if something else comes in before they lock a date or "and it's available now!" (which lol but would be bonkers for something this size. SOMEONE will do it eventually.)

I don't think you can read into it in any direction. All just guessing.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded. The first trailer was meaty as fuck with plenty of new mechanics, combat, exploration, environmental variety, story beats, new allies, new villains, etc. It was the kind of trailer you usually get as the second trailer for a game, only they did it with the first one. Unless you're referring to an actual unedited gameplay demo...

I'm actually doing media blackout cause they showed so much haha.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Since HFW, GT7 and Ragnarök were all originally targeting 2021, it's quite radical to think that one of these could somehow also miss 2022 as well.

This game must be absolutely huge.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I agree with everything you said except the bolded. The first trailer was meaty as fuck with plenty of new mechanics, combat, exploration, environmental variety, story beats, new allies, new villains, etc. It was the kind of trailer you usually get as the second trailer for a game, only they did it with the first one. Unless you're referring to an actual unedited gameplay demo...

I'm actually doing media blackout cause they showed so much haha.
I just mean -- yes this is definitely exactly for sure what you will get when you play the game - when I say "real." Everything is assets in development until it's not, you know? Fool me once (Killzone), fool me twice (Cyberpunk...or Anthem or...). I shall not be fooled again!

I didn't mean to suggest it was a trailer-version bullshot, especially from a dev like this. They're certainly not actively deceiving folks. Just that things sometimes need to change/be altered/be cut for whatever reasons.

Jan 11, 2018
I just mean -- yes this is definitely exactly for sure what you will get when you play the game - when I say "real." Everything is assets in development until it's not, you know? Fool me once (Killzone), fool me twice (Cyberpunk...or Anthem or...). I shall not be fooled again!

I didn't mean to suggest it was a trailer-version bullshot, especially from a dev like this. They're certainly not actively deceiving folks. Just that things sometimes need to change/be altered/be cut for whatever reasons.

I hear ya! Thanks for the reply :)

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I feel like Sony almost always releases their biggest games in the first few months of the year. I totally expect this to come in 2023. It works for them so I don't know any reason to change.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It's one of those things that I feel that next time they show it they'll have a release date for it. I wouldn't surprised if it released 3 months after the date reveal.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I don't think Ragnarok would've beat Elden RIng at the awards anyway

I agree, people are gonna bring up RDR2 but I don't think this is the same situation.

It's 100% the same situation lol:

-RDR2 was a massively more popular game
-RDR2 reviewed better
-People thought RDR2 would sweep all the awards and win GOTY
God of war has not released yet.

Nobody has any idea how good or bad it is yet.

This is the dumbest argument.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jason if you're reading this, please let me know if I should drop Ragnarök from my fantasty critic roster.

Thank you

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
We have several developers, marketing people saying it's coming this year, and Jason Schreier himself saying he doesn't think it's getting delayed.
Yet none of those are the key decision makers and we don't have a concrete date yet. And Barlog is telling us they can't show us anything yet. Its not looking good for a 2022 release.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope PS5 version cuts out the "hidden" load screens that the PS4 version will need. It's a vestigial remnant of last gen and hard to ignore

I'm curious how this gets handled because with the one shot camera that seems incredibly hard to mitigate. It would have to actually change map geometry, and a lot of those slidethrough moments were also full of dialogue.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Yet none of those are the key decision makers and we don't have a concrete date yet. And Barlog is telling us they can't show us anything yet. Its not looking good for a 2022 release.

It really doesn't mean anything.

The past few years, a lot of companies have been focusing on shorter hype cycles. We have had quite a few high profile games go from announced to released within a few months.

Sony didn't even announce that Demon's Souls was a launch game until 2 months prior to coming out.