• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Just realized. The One I Love is a dark comedy take on cosmic horror. I'd link the trailer but it's specifically doesn't mention the central conceit of the film. It's also amazing.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Recently watched The Endless, after watching Spring which was fantastic. It was pretty good, I kinda disliked the little brother.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i watched The Void earlier. And apart from some cool imagery (at) and near the end. I only thought it was ok.

Definitely worth one watch, at least.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack though!

I watched The Void two nights ago. Trash characters and a terrible story but I appreciated the creature design and practical effects and the glimpses of the void were cool.

Sauronych

Jan 29, 2018
Now The Endless was more like it. That was grade-A cosmic horror without using the well-trodden Lovecraftian imagery that way too many games and movies fall back on (looking at you, The Void). Actually it retroactively made Resolution a more interesting movie too

And yes, definitely watch Resolution before The Endless

Also, if you liked The Endless, check out the Spanish movie The Incident. It's on Netflix
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3528756/
That movie's brand of cosmic horror is more akin to Twilight Zone's "And When The Sky Was Opened", an unexplainable phenomenon rather than something Lovecraftian
Agree about The Endless, but The Incident was one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Terrible pacing, amateurish acting, and an ending that falls completely flat.
The random dramatic montage with music straight out of Lost made me laugh out loud. Who thought that was a good idea?

I did enjoy the visual of "what would a stairwell look like after people were trapped in it for 35 years?", but it seems like the movie should've gotten way darker with this and the people making it just weren't willing to go there. The crude attempt at a BIG REVEAL at the end seemed really unnecessary as well. Actually, everything about this movie felt forced and strange, and not in a good, Lovecraftian sort of way.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Endless was a weird movie. Its structure and narrative is kinda unfocussed at times, and especially the final third of the movie's buildup doesn't really come to a satisfying climax.

There's weird shit happening and there are some genuinely cool moments in terms of cosmic horror, but I feel the movie doesn't deliver on its own buildup because it kinda seems to lose focus.

I don't know, it's hard to explain. It's not a bad movie though, not at all. It's a slow burner, for sure.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AltitudePoster-1.jpg

Underrated b flick.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched The whisperer in the darkness. I liked it. But i don't know if i was feeling the 50s style presentation of it.

I hope i'm not coming across a Debbie Downer. As i've been criticising the last 3 films i watched. I honestly don't mean to be.
I'll give it a go.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Just finished The Void and like many said, it's not a great movie or memorable in any way - but it was an ok watch. Will watch Endless and Honeymoon in the coming days.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I've been meaning to watch Coherence for years and always put it down due to the shitty DVD cover. I know it's silly but I basically got it due to a single recommendation and never bothered to look into the theme or genre. Didn't want to watch the trailer either because I can be spoiler sensitive. Imagine my surprise when I saw it being mentioned in this thread.

Anyway, I finally got around to watch it on Saturday and it was fun. It didn't blow me away and it's still hard for me to see Nicholas Brandon as someone other than Xander but it worked well enough. It sort of slowed down a bit at the end but I still enjoyed it. It could've been a little more fucked up but it didn't need to.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So there's speculation that this tease by James Gunn is hinting at a Nameless movie

If that's what it is, that'll be the craziest and most high-profile "cosmic horror in space" flick since...Event Horizon?

cf517fa788bbfe749c4aca39e7da773d_xl.jpg

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I liked The Void, even with its flaws.

Is there a movie / book about living / surviving in a void like dimension?

Apart from the suggestion here, I have seen those movies.

%7B290BEF25-234E-46F1-8E08-49B5581B6F1F%7DImg400.jpg

Was a pretty good read and something a little different. I finished it in a single sitting Sunday afternoon so its definitely a page turner that constantly kept throwing newer and weirder sights and events at the characters. Imagine a fusion of the weirdness and cosmic Horror of HP Lovecraft combined with the underwater adventures of Jules Verne.

The basic gist of the story without giving too much away is that its the late 1950's and a brand new, state of the art, experimental submarine is launched from France for its maiden voyage. Its crew consists of sailors and scientists and everything is going to plan. They head out to the open ocean and begin to dive down into the depths and that's were issues begin to pop up. Once they start their descent they can't stop and keep going down further and further with the men aboard unable to do anything to avert their course.

They basically come to terms with their impending deaths as at the speed they're going and the depths they're hitting the sub will smash into the seafloor before it ruptures from the titanic pressures around them. They watch their descent on the read outs on their control panels and count down the final distance to their demise... except when they're supposed to collide with the sea floor, nothing happens. They not only pass where the oceanfloor should have been but their descent continues without them able to do a thing about it. Then things start to get weird, really weird.

I don't want to get into too much more detail but lets just say things continue to escalate within the story and paranoia, fear, religious fervor and the like hit the crew hard and that's not even dealing with the odd phenomena they start to encounter and the even stranger sea creatures. It would make a wonderful movie if someone gave it a decent budget and the book itself has some great illustrations in it.

twenty-trillion-leagues-1.jpg

9781250057792.IN05.jpg

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
%7B290BEF25-234E-46F1-8E08-49B5581B6F1F%7DImg400.jpg

Was a pretty good read and something a little different. I finished it in a single sitting Sunday afternoon so its definitely a page turner that constantly kept throwing newer and weirder sights and events at the characters. Imagine a fusion of the weirdness and cosmic Horror of HP Lovecraft combined with the underwater adventures of Jules Verne.

The basic gist of the story without giving too much away is that its the late 1950's and a brand new, state of the art, experimental submarine is launched from France for its maiden voyage. Its crew consists of sailors and scientists and everything is going to plan. They head out to the open ocean and begin to dive down into the depths and that's were issues begin to pop up. Once they start their descent they can't stop and keep going down further and further with the men aboard unable to do anything to avert their course.

They basically come to terms with their impending deaths as at the speed they're going and the depths they're hitting the sub will smash into the seafloor before it ruptures from the titanic pressures around them. They watch their descent on the read outs on their control panels and count down the final distance to their demise... except when they're supposed to collide with the sea floor, nothing happens. They not only pass where the oceanfloor should have been but their descent continues without them able to do a thing about it. Then things start to get weird, really weird.

I don't want to get into too much more detail but lets just say things continue to escalate within the story and paranoia, fear, religious fervor and the like hit the crew hard and that's not even dealing with the odd phenomena they start to encounter and the even stranger sea creatures. It would make a wonderful movie if someone gave it a decent budget and the book itself has some great illustrations in it.

twenty-trillion-leagues-1.jpg

9781250057792.IN05.jpg

Thanks, this looks great!

Underwater horror is my weak point, so it is going to be an interesting and unsettling reading.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
So there's speculation that this tease by James Gunn is hinting at a Nameless movie

If that's what it is, that'll be the craziest and most high-profile "cosmic horror in space" flick since...Event Horizon?

Thanks for bringing up the graphic novel, which had gone past me somehow, eventhough I'm a fan of Morrison's works. Just reserved the collected six volumes from the library.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More high-scale cosmic horror is always very welcome.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
So in light of recent firings, how likely are we to still find out more about this cosmic horror James Gunn movie anytime soon? I was genuinely looking forward to it.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017

A Nameless movie would be interesting to see. That series was absolutely bonkers (and took me a couple reads to really grasp it at all, haha).

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I just read Nameless yesterday, and would definitely like to see a film adaptation of it. I particularly loved its various occult references, and the idea that
the christian god was the ultimate evil.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the spoilered part was changed in the adaptation.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just read Nameless yesterday, and would definitely like to see a film adaptation of it. I particularly loved its various occult references, and the idea that
the christian god was the ultimate evil.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the spoilered part was changed in the adaptation.
Morrison didn't create that idea.

It's the central idea behind Gnosticism and the concept of the Demiurge.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Morrison didn't create that idea.

It's the central idea behind Gnosticism and the concept of the Demiurge.

I didn't claim he created it, but it's the first time I've seen it used in a Lovecraftian fiction.

I've also seen it before in Order of the Left Hand Path's material.

http://www.textfiles.com/occult/OTO/samyaza.txt
I, Samyaza, speak to mortal Man of Fallen Angels, those who are
called Watchers, whose blessing Man reapeth in defiance of the tyrant-god
Demiurge.

O Man, hear of thy Daimonic inheritance, and of the Daimon Seed
which continues to manifest its power on Earth, which doth uplift you from
the beast of the field unto godhood.

Know that it was Demiurge who conceived the Earth and Man as his
playthings to do with as it pleaseth him, that he may in his vanity be
glorified, and receive everlasting tribute and adulation from Man, as he
receiveth from his Angels.

For it is Demiurge who create Man in ignorance and fear that Man
should forever be servile before him. It is written that Demiurge created
Man in childlike innocence, unconscious and devoid of intelligence, like
the beasts of the field levithmong, save that a 'spirit' was breathed into
him so that he may know and fear and worship Demiurge, and pay tribute unto
him, and worship him unto eternity.

And so he commanded Adam and Eve that they may not partake of the
fruit of the Tree of Knowledge lest their eyes be opened and they become
godlike, and thereby become free of his tyranny.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry. Didn't mean to come across like a dickhead.

I didn't mean it in an accusatory shitty way. Sorry again.

No problem. =)

By the way, the collected six volumes of Nameless had an interesting afterword, which mentioned several books that I've now added to my list; Peter Levanda's The Dark Lord: H.P. Lovecraft, Kenneth Grant and the Typhonian Tradition of Magic, Kenneth Grant's Nightside of Eden, Linda Falorio's Shadow Tarot, Arthur Machen's The Novel of the Black Seal, Thomas Ligotti's The Conspiracy Against Human Race, and Ray Brassier's Nihil Unbound. Eventhough I've been a fan of Lovecraftian fiction for ages, I've somehow never read any of Ligotti's works.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry. Didn't mean to come across like a dickhead.

I didn't mean it in an accusatory shitty way. Sorry again.
Don't worry, we are all friends here in the cosmic horror thread of awaiting humanity's impending doom at the hand of dark sinister beings beyond reality's veil.

By the way, the collected six volumes of Nameless had an interesting afterword, which mentioned several books that I've now added to my list; Peter Levanda's The Dark Lord: H.P. Lovecraft, Kenneth Grant and the Typhonian Tradition of Magic, Kenneth Grant's Nightside of Eden, Linda Falorio's Shadow Tarot, Arthur Machen's The Novel of the Black Seal, Thomas Ligotti's The Conspiracy Against Human Race, and Ray Brassier's Nihil Unbound. Eventhough I've been a fan of Lovecraftian fiction for ages, I've somehow never read any of Ligotti's works.
You're missing out - Ligotti's work is great. Check out: https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Dreamer-Grimscribe-Thomas-Ligotti/dp/0143107763

Some of the short stories are more unsettling and realistic than Lovecraft's work. One of them also reminded me a ton of Bloodborne, of a person traveling in a dream to a dark and haunted city.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
for those looking into the endless I would highly suggest watching resolution beforehand.

it's almost required.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Don't worry, we are all friends here in the cosmic horror thread of awaiting humanity's impending doom at the hand of dark sinister beings beyond reality's veil.

You're missing out - Ligotti's work is great. Check out: https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Dreamer-Grimscribe-Thomas-Ligotti/dp/0143107763

Some of the short stories are more unsettling and realistic than Lovecraft's work. One of them also reminded me a ton of Bloodborne, of a person traveling in a dream to a dark and haunted city.

Thanks for the suggestion. I generally prefer short stories, and any parallels with Bloodborne are a bonus.

This part in the afterword about Ligotti was pretty funny:
Ligotti's indignation against a "malignantly useless" cosmos is so coldly and precisely expressed as to become almost funny. If I'm unfortunate enough to die in a car crash, it will undoubtedly be with Ligotti's phrase "vehicular misadventure" ringing in my agonized mind

As for awaiting the impending doom...
nCpfAlf.jpg

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the new Scream Factory bluray of In the Mouth of Madness today. Been a little while since I've seen the movie too, so it should be a treat. It may be Carpenter's last great movie, but I'm glad he could close out his Apocalypse trilogy on such a fine note, it feels like a fitting creative punctuation mark on his peak creativity.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I cast my vote for Starfish by Watts. I had just played Soma and wanted a book that was underwater sci fi with lots of isolated, depressive tones and that's exactly what I got!
Also check out The Deep by Nick Cutter. It's more cosmic horror than Starfish, and it captures the crushing oppressive isolated underwater atmosphere really well

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the new Scream Factory bluray of In the Mouth of Madness today. Been a little while since I've seen the movie too, so it should be a treat. It may be Carpenter's last great movie, but I'm glad he could close out his Apocalypse trilogy on such a fine note, it feels like a fitting creative punctuation mark on his peak creativity.

Mine shipped too! I know what's on tap for tonight lol

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Now The Endless was more like it. That was grade-A cosmic horror without using the well-trodden Lovecraftian imagery that way too many games and movies fall back on (looking at you, The Void). Actually it retroactively made Resolution a more interesting movie too

And yes, definitely watch Resolution before The Endless

Also, if you liked The Endless, check out the Spanish movie The Incident. It's on Netflix
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3528756/
That movie's brand of cosmic horror is more akin to Twilight Zone's "And When The Sky Was Opened", an unexplainable phenomenon rather than something Lovecraftian
Does Resolution directly connect to The Endless?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Well shit, especially because it's probably dead now, considering Sony dropped him and the reveal from their panel last week

Nah, he was just producing it and it was a collaboration with another film company (H Collective Project). It is in Post-Production so they aren't cancelling this. They are just going to announce it another time without Gunn being the one announcing it in hopes this dies down a little more. Or just announce it without mentioning Gunn is a part of it.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
I cast my vote for Starfish by Watts. I had just played Soma and wanted a book that was underwater sci fi with lots of isolated, depressive tones and that's exactly what I got!

I was actually planning on reading the Rifters trilogy next as I finished Blindsight the other week and was thirsting for more Watts. Them having a Soma vibe hypes me even more!

The trilogy can be read for free on Watts site:

http://rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

No problem. =)

Love me some Ligotti. I want to read Conspiracy but it's quite pricey for such a short read so I haven't picked it up yet. I recommend the Teatro Grottesco collection. I also have the Songs/Grimsbribe Penguin Classic single volume. I haven't fully read it, but none of the stories grabbed me like the ones in Teatro Grottesco.