• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited to check out the 4K print of In the Mouth of Madness tonight! Been looking forward to that release for awhile now.

Stuart Gordon's Dagon film was also rereleased today. Just watched it again and while the CGI is rough, it's still a fun Lovecraft adaption worth checking out.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need some new films recs that already haven't been mentioned in here. Please.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I need some new films recs that already haven't been mentioned in here. Please.

I don't think it's been mentioned but if it has, apologies, but Evolution (2015) is a French film that was added back to Netflix (US) again recently. It's a slow burn cosmic horror film, very much an art house film that I really enjoyed and recommend to anyone that that description appeals to.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's been mentioned but if it has, apologies, but Evolution (2015) is a French film that was added back to Netflix (US) again recently. It's a slow burn cosmic horror film, very much an art house film that I really enjoyed and recommend to anyone that that description appeals to.
Nothing to apologise for. And thanks for the rec, i'm not in U.S. and the U.K. Flix doesn't have it. unfortunately. So i'll have to look elsewhere for it.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So there's speculation that this tease by James Gunn is hinting at a Nameless movie

If that's what it is, that'll be the craziest and most high-profile "cosmic horror in space" flick since...Event Horizon?

cf517fa788bbfe749c4aca39e7da773d_xl.jpg

So any word on what this turned out to be?

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Watched The Void yesterday. Not bad, some good things in there but I don't think I'd recommend it to someone that's not into Cosmic Horror.

Probably not the first to suggest this, but I feel like Stranger Things crosses into Cosmic Horror territory.

jbEJNI9_d.jpg

Last edited:

DvergrBlod

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, he was just producing it and it was a collaboration with another film company (H Collective Project). It is in Post-Production so they aren't cancelling this. They are just going to announce it another time without Gunn being the one announcing it in hopes this dies down a little more. Or just announce it without mentioning Gunn is a part of it.
I think they should announce it with Gunn's name blastered all over it. No matter what, it would give lot's of free publicity for that.

Apr 10, 2018
So glad to see the love for In the Mouth of Madness in here. I just recently watched the Void with my wife (neither of us had seen it) and then showed her In the Mouth of Madness (i'd seen it many times) and she much preferred the latter. It wasn't exactly surprising, but it's hard to know how older horror flicks will land for people who aren't genre obsessives like a lot of us.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I think they should announce it with Gunn's name blastered all over it. No matter what, it would give lot's of free publicity for that.

I just read Nameless and woah...if they are making that, having a good name attached to it to sell it to make people know it won't be just a gorefest for the sake of it.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so i just watched the film Possession (1981), and that definitely has elements of cosmic horror, mainly the insanity and madness brought on by proximity to otherworldly things beyond comprehension, also has some blatant lovecraftian elements

as i watched it i kind of got flashes of The Dunwich horror, almost like it wouldn't be out of place for the movie to announce that the presence of Yog-Sothoth is whats causing everything

many of you might be familiar with the movie from one of its scenes that became well known, for others who haven't seen this before perhaps it might entice you to look into the film

Last edited:

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
so i just watched the film Possession (1981), and that definitely has elements of cosmic horror, mainly the insanity and madness brought on by proximity to otherworldly things beyond comprehension, also has some blatant lovecraftian elements

as i watched it i kind of got flashes of The Dunwich horror, almost like it wouldn't be out of place for the movie to announce that the presence of Yog-Sothoth is whats causing everything

many of you might be familiar with the movie from one of its scenes that became well known, for others who haven't seen this before perhaps it might entice you to look into the film

I love that scene so much. Isabelle Adjani is fucking incredible in that film!

I've been wanting to rewatch that lately, is there a good stream available? The blu Ray is hard to come by or expensive from what I've seen.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the second season of stranger things was definitely cosmic-lite I didn't expect that and really appreciated it

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
I think I saw it mentioned earlier on, but would Kaiju films such as Godzilla and Pacific Rim and the like be considered Cosmic Horror(lite)?

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I think I saw it mentioned earlier on, but would Kaiju films such as Godzilla and Pacific Rim and the like be considered Cosmic Horror(lite)?

Godzilla...I don't know. Maybe? Actually, I'd say so. In the sequels when other monsters start coming from other worlds that would definitely fit.

Pacific Rim I'd say definitely is.

When we see that the Kaiju are coming in from the rift and the world they derive them, that's certianly cosmic horror.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Imo now, I guess I haven't seen even half of the godzilla movies but there doesn't seem to be any phsyological or other dimensional aspect to them?

I'm sure an expert can tell me why I'm an idiot I'm still learning more about the genre but that's the first thing I think of

Oct 27, 2017
Imo now, I guess I haven't seen even half of the godzilla movies but there doesn't seem to be any phsyological or other dimensional aspect to them?

I'm sure an expert can tell me why I'm an idiot I'm still learning more about the genre but that's the first thing I think of

Some of them have social commentary or subtext (namely the original Gojira, and Shin Godzilla, but certainly others as well) with varying degrees of success, but I would say no, you are correct in your assessment.

Anything cosmic or psychological in mostly all Kaiju films (but Godzilla specifically) is usually surface level at best if it's there at all, and is not typically the focus.

Pacific Rim I would say does fall solidly into cosmic horror kaiju though.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just went on the iplayer (the BBC's streaming service) for a completely different reason. And on the fucking front page i saw that the Beeb fucking made a series of Picnic at Hanging Rock. AND THEY'VE ALREADY SHOWN 3 OF THE 6 EPISODES!!!!!!.

Why didn't any of your fuckers tell about such a show ??!?!?!? :P

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. SHAME I TELLS YA. ;P
uPnjs8B.gif

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
I just went on the iplayer (the BBC's streaming service) for a completely different reason. And on the fucking front page i saw that the Beeb fucking made a series of Picnic at Hanging Rock. AND THEY'VE ALREADY SHOWN 3 OF THE 6 EPISODES!!!!!!.

uPnjs8B.gif

because you don't remake picnic at hanging rock

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't heard much about Picnic. Let us know if it's any good.

I don't really think of Godzilla or Pacific Rim as cosmic horror, although I don't remember much about Pacific Rim kaiju's purpose or intent on Earth (haven't seen it since theatres).

Godzilla has some elements to it, at least the latest iteration. Godzilla is a horrifying beast that basically sees humanity as an insect-like nuisance, or is completely oblivious to us. That touches on some key cosmic horror ideas (our insignificance in the universe, both in general and in the face of other beings).

Pacific Rim, I don't really see it. I think it shares a lot of visual elements that are inspired by cosmic horror. Like I said, it's been awhile since I've seen it--do we learn anything about the kaiju's homeworld or why they're attacking Earth?

But, I think both movies lack an overall theme or motif that resonates with cosmic horror. Godzilla is generally more about the overreach of humanity/creating our own destruction; Pacific Rim is about...I don't know, family? The importance of bonding?

In that way, I think something like the first Alien movie has more cosmic horror at its center. In that movie, at least, we don't know anything about the alien or its purpose, lifecycle, etc. Part of the horror of it is that you cannot reason with it or understand it in the slightest. It's beyond human understanding (until Aliens came out and we find out they're basically alien bugs :-| )

Cabin in the Woods actually has some surprising cosmic horror elements under its surface. I wish the
giant god were more than (what looks like) a giant human, based on the hand.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a few films Godzilla movies aren't even horror. A lot of them are straight up cheesy and goofy. Godzuki anyone?

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario

uPnjs8B.gif
I had no idea Picnic got cosmic. I watched half the first episode, saw nothing but old time "high society" drama that I've seen so many times before and peaced out. Better go back to it soon.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure who first recommended Blindsight in this thread, but good lord, thank you. One of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time. And yeah, it hits you HARD with cosmic horror in a refreshing and unique way. I was left shaken by the end, to be perfectly honest. It's hard sci-fi and is often "cold" but the cosmic horror ideas it presents, via exploring self and consciousness, are remarkably intimate and sympathetic.

Also, the portrayal of vampires (no spoilers, they're introduced early) is so clever, unique, and terrifying. Fucking ACE.

Really hoping Echopraxia matches its quality. Just bought it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure who first recommended Blindsight in this thread, but good lord, thank you. One of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time. And yeah, it hits you HARD with cosmic horror in a refreshing and unique way. I was left shaken by the end, to be perfectly honest. It's hard sci-fi and is often "cold" but the cosmic horror ideas it presents, via exploring self and consciousness, are remarkably intimate and sympathetic.

Also, the portrayal of vampires (no spoilers, they're introduced early) is so clever, unique, and terrifying. Fucking ACE.

Really hoping Echopraxia matches its quality. Just bought it.
Glade you enjoyed it. Blindsight was amazing. I haven't raced through a book so fast in years

And I would argue the way that the vampires of Blindsight are presented makes it the modern successor to Matheson's I Am Legend. It was that well done. It's funny; the notion of vampires in a hard sci-fi book was what made me a bit wary of checking Blindsight out for a while. And that turned out to be one of the most brilliant aspects of the novel

Edit: like it has to be a homage to I Am Legend right?
They're both rigorously tackle the concept of vampire through science and they both end with the main character realizing that they'll soon be the relic in a world where the vampire has supplanted humans.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know if it qualifies as mindfuck or cosmic horror but there are definitely some scenes that caused great anxiety and distress in the movie Enemy (by Denis Villeneuve). Those scenes still haunt me.

Terrific movie too. Also this might be my favorite sub genre of film.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
So there's speculation that this tease by James Gunn is hinting at a Nameless movie

If that's what it is, that'll be the craziest and most high-profile "cosmic horror in space" flick since...Event Horizon?

Oh damn. I would be IN on day one for this. Nameless was ridiculously unsettling as a comic and I believe would be even more so as a well done film adaptation.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know if it qualifies as mindfuck or cosmic horror but there are definitely some scenes that caused great anxiety and distress in the movie Enemy (by Denis Villeneuve). Those scenes still haunt me.

Terrific movie too. Also this might be my favorite sub genre of film.

Personally, I don't think it does - it lacks the existential threat and I think most of the "cosmic horror" were aspects of his mindset without the influence of elder gods - but it's a great psychological thriller and one of my favourite movies of the 2010s.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from, especially with the monster over downtown Toronto, but I feel it was more metaphorical of the main characters's psychological state than an elder god :)

Edit - I felt it was more indebted to Kafka than Lovecraft, if that makes any sense.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Is there any word on the progress of the Nameless movie? I did some searching, but I did not find any recent updates.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watch the Picinic at Hanging rock series yet (i really should get on that before it gets taken off the iplayer) But in the mean time. I have a recommendation for you lovely peoples. Now i can't remember if i've recommended this before. But i'd say Messiah of Evil would qualify as cosmic horror.

Is there any word on the progress of the Nameless movie? I did some searching, but I did not find any recent updates.
Do we know for certain that it is a Nameless movie though. It was never confirmed, was it ?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This sorta feeds more into this strange ah... desire(?) I've had to see a good female warewolf transformation where the screams and wails eventually become eerie howls. I, for some reason, would think that would be really cool.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Do we know for certain that it is a Nameless movie though. It was never confirmed, was it ?
Maybe we do not. I just heard of the existence of the movie from this thread today, where someone even claimed it was is post production already. I hope it is true though. It would make for a cool movie or TV series.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see Mandy in September just for the fact that it looks like it features major cosmic horror elements.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Just go watch Lifeforce. Every 14yr old boy eventually seeks it out anyways.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
So I just watched John Dies at the End. Dunno how i missed it. For years, I kept confusing it for that Tucker and Dale vs Evil movie. Easy mistake. This movie was what I define as cosmic horror, and I loved it. That there's no sequel or series of these movies is criminal. More of this, please.

Wanted to love The Void, but it was too try hard. In the Mouth of Madness was the last great movie I've seen in this category.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So I just watched John Dies at the End. Dunno how i missed it. For years, I kept confusing it for that Tucker and Dale vs Evil movie. Easy mistake. This movie was what I define as cosmic horror, and I loved it. That there's no sequel or series of these movies is criminal.

It's based on a book series and the movie actually cut a good portion of the story out. The latter books aren't quite as good.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
It's based on a book series and the movie actually cut a good portion of the story out. The latter books aren't quite as good.
Yeah, i'm a huge fan of these 'constantine' style heroes. Regular people with insane knowledge of otherwordly shit utilizing tools and techniques to fight off great evil. You know, Supernatural before the Angels and Demon crap, or Constantine (all versions), or Grimm if it didn't completely and absolutely suck. One of my guilty horror literary pleasures (which is definitely cut from the cosmic horror cloth) is the THE LEVI STOLTZFUS SERIES by Brian Keene. That crosses over into his Earthworm Gods series which is clearly lovecraftian. I know, I know, it's not high brow stuff, but It's my favorite type of horror fiction. I"m always on the lookout for stuff like this in books but especially in film or tv.

Hoped to stumble onto new stuff here. While there hasn't been much, at least this movie was dope.