Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody's mentioned Mandy. I watched it last night and loved it.

It's not really cosmic horror, but it definitely plays in that pool, at least to start.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Just got done watching The Endless on a whim. Thought it was pretty good but thought the writing/dialogue was a little weak in spots.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, check out Housewife. It reminded of the Void but less Carpenter and less The Thing, more surreal and more Possession. Similar to the director's previous film Baskin, there isn't much plot and it becomes more imagery than narrative. But as a simple premise and story, it definitely scratches that Lovecraftian itch. Yes, specifically Lovecraftian, not merely cosmic horror

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody's mentioned Mandy. I watched it last night and loved it.

It's not really cosmic horror, but it definitely plays in that pool, at least to start.
Yeah. It's not cosmic horror, but that mix of pulpy 80s horror/fantasy/weird fiction was a ton of fun. Definitely some strong Robert E. Howard influences, among others.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
Just watched that last night. It was interesting. Disliked the ending. Kid should have took it, though I understand the message the movie was trying to convey.

I don't know, not for me. Message apart it was still a very personal choice, and

it really made sense with his weak, "just playing along because i was told to" unformed personality. When things went awry, he just got desperate and dismissed the whole thing.

Many people like the idea of going to the devil but don't like the flames once they get burned. And if it's all based on belief for them, if that's how you are and live in that context, you will believe that it'll bring demise as it already did. Back to the future part 2 right?

Plus, the guilt and trauma free stash at home + property probably already felt like enough to give up a life of slavery to greed and danger

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HorrorERA, help me out here. Somebody over at the old place mentioned a Cthulhu inspired short flick taking place on a ship at sea. There was a pretty excellent looking trailer of it but I can't come up with a name and my GoogleFu skills fail me. Melchiah ?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
HorrorERA, help me out here. Somebody over at the old place mentioned a Cthulhu inspired short flick taking place on a ship at sea. There was a pretty excellent looking trailer of it but I can't come up with a name and my GoogleFu skills fail me. Melchiah ?

Was it this one?

Thanks for sharing that. :)

On a side note, a friend of mine recommended the Origin series on YouTube Premium for me, and it seems like it might be linked to cosmic horror as well.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Ding-ding-ding!

I wonder if there's anyway to actually see the movie somehwere?

I got to see it at a local film festival some time ago, and quick googling showed it's now included in a DVD collection.

https://arkhambazaar.com/films/h-p-lovecraft-film-festival-best-of-2017-collection-dvd/
The H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival® in Portland, OR has been the vanguard of independent horror filmmaking, with a cosmic or Weird twist, for more than 20 years. Now you can attend in spirit, with this selection of short films from the 22nd Annual festival in 2017!

This may be the best collection yet, with incredible works like "Wattmarck" from Austria, inspired by both "The Music of Erich Zann" and electronica of the 80s/90s (critics have called it "H. P. Lovecraft meets Kraftwerk", and they're not wrong), and the amazing "Sound From The Deep" which lovingly and expertly incorporates the mythology of Lovecraft's "At The Mountains of Madness" into a modern adventure revolving around scientists looking for gas deposits in melting ice fields. You'll finally see, on screen, the underwater cities of the Elder Things, and the ultimate Shoggoth horror!

With explorations to the darkest corners of the earth to humorous takes on the Cthulhu Mythos, and from research on the effects of certain soundwaves on the human mind to the crushing burden of forbidden knowledge, this collection has something for every Lovecraft fan.

Includes:

"Eldritch Code" (Sweden) dir. Ivan Radovic
"There is No Door" (USA) dir. Ward Crockett
"Mary and Marsha in The Manor of Madness" (US) dir. Kris Theorin
"Wattmarck" (Austria) dir. Lorenz Tröbinger - inspired by The Music of Erich Zann
"The Transition of Juan Romero" (USA) dir. Whitney Ellis - based on the Lovecraft story
"Leviathan" (Peru) dir. Erik Woolcott
"The Doom That Came To Sarnath" (UK) dir. Nael Ali
"Sound From The Deep" (Finland) dir. Joonas Allonen and Antti Laakso - inspired by "At The Mountains of Madness"

I'll definitely have to look into the other films featured there.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely should have said right away that i'm from Roma, but i'm still getting confused with Prime. I used to use the US Prime long before it finally premiered in Italy... i do have an italian account, but it's available for me in Argentina, i'm in Buenos Aires at the moment

It's normal to see even significant differences between countries. Netflix too. IP address typically region locks you to a selection deemed fit for your region - it's possible to do workarounds and spoofs.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
It's normal to see even significant differences between countries. Netflix too. IP address typically region locks you to a selection deemed fit for your region - it's possible to do workarounds and spoofs.

I know and i usually do, but my laptop has been failing me, and i travel way too much. I thought the argentinean answer to my amazon prime usual search was a pan-"american" one while i'm still logging into it with my italian account. Also, i though Amazon would secure such niche film rights in the US before making them available elsewhere.

I wonder why it ain't available on the US Prime though. What's up? A delay? A remake?

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I know this thread is for film, but I feel the need to shout out the indie game Lore Finder which is currently in its final hours on KickStarter. Presumably everyone on this forum liked video games at least at some point in their lives so it might be worth checking out. The demo is great.

Also, are we all in agreement that Annihilation is the best cosmic horror movie of 2018? Yes? Ok, just checking.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Just watched Bird Box on Netflix, a pretty rad movie I must say. I think it fits in this topic just fine. Did anyone else watched it ?

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Just watched Bird Box on Netflix, a pretty rad movie I must say. I think it fits in this topic just fine. Did anyone else watched it ?

Definitely Lovecraftian.

Like everything about it was like 75% Lovecraftian but then there's one pretty big detail that makes it full on lovecraft horror.

Gary's drawings of the creatures were straight up Cthulhu/tentacly entities

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Does Annihilation count? I finally got around to watching it a few night ago and I loved it. Such an unsettling atmosphere and the final 'confrontation' has been stuck in my head ever since.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched The Endless the other day on Netflix (UK). It was okay. It was about two adult brothers who escaped from a weird suicide cult when they were young but lead very unfulfilling lives and the younger one (who cannot remember much about it) is miserable. After receiving a tape from them the brothers decide to go there for a visit then they can move on and put it all behind them. But it turns out it's just a really nice place with fun activities, a good sense of camaraderie and friendly people, and no sense of anything sinister. However, as time passes and the younger brother becomes more and more enamoured with the place, strange things start happening like a large shadow in the lake and two moons in the sky. I won't go into any more detail, but it's worth a watch and I think they made a decent Cosmic Horror film despite the obvious budget constraints.

Last edited:

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I watched The Endless the other day on Netflix (UK). It was okay. It was about two brothers who escaped from a weird suicide cult when they were young but lead very unfulfilling lives and the younger one (who's too young to remember much about it) is miserable. After receiving a tape from them the brothers decide to go there for a visit then they can move on and put it all behind them. But it turns out it's just a really nice place with fun activities, a good sense of camaraderie and friendly people, and no sense of anything sinister. However, as time passes and the younger brother becomes more and more enamoured with the place, strange things start happening like a large shadow in the lake and two moons in the sky. I won't go into any more detail, but it's worth a watch and I think they made a decent Cosmic Horror film despite the obvious budget constraints.

I felt the same way. It's... alright. I applaud the effort

Oct 30, 2017
Does Annihilation count? I finally got around to watching it a few night ago and I loved it. Such an unsettling atmosphere and the final 'confrontation' has been stuck in my head ever since.
I would count it for sure. Not Cthuluian but still cosmic in nature.

Also, it is an incredible film. One of the greatest sci-fi films of the 21st century in my opinion.

Illuminati80

Nov 28, 2017
I watched The Endless the other day on Netflix (UK). It was okay. It was about two adult brothers who escaped from a weird suicide cult when they were young but lead very unfulfilling lives and the younger one (who cannot remember much about it) is miserable. After receiving a tape from them the brothers decide to go there for a visit then they can move on and put it all behind them. But it turns out it's just a really nice place with fun activities, a good sense of camaraderie and friendly people, and no sense of anything sinister. However, as time passes and the younger brother becomes more and more enamoured with the place, strange things start happening like a large shadow in the lake and two moons in the sky. I won't go into any more detail, but it's worth a watch and I think they made a decent Cosmic Horror film despite the obvious budget constraints.

FYI if you enjoyed this movie it is tangentially related to another movie called Resolution (which focuses on the cabin that was stumbled upon)

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, and the dumb question. But does anyone have any new recs ?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Sorry for the bump, and the dumb question. But does anyone have any new recs ?
If you haven't watched Love Death & Robots yet, there's one episode in it that's a pretty good take on a classic cosmic horror concept.

Beyond the Aquila Rift ended up being one of my favorites for that exact reason. Otherwise the rest of the series is just really good sci-fi apart from two episodes which just sort of suck.