• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
She was on WTF a year or two ago and my god, it was just an hour of stream of consciousness venting. Idk if Marc got more than a few lines in the whole convo.

I'm not really a general Taylor listener myself (even though Folklore stands out specifically as my jam), but saying she's not important or interesting as an artist just seems objectively untrue on both counts. Her style's evolution and business savvy are both some of the most interesting in the entire genre.
I'm not a Taylor hater but "her style is business savvy" is not exactly refuting the point lol

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Lol Courtney's always so out of pocket. Don't change sis

(And she's not wrong about a certain vanilla flavored pop icon)

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Courtney, I loved your first album but you're famous for two things and one of those things is saying outrageous, controversial things every couple years about celebrities.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that takes as lukewarm as this somehow become big news.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She was on WTF a year or two ago and my god, it was just an hour of stream of consciousness venting. Idk if Marc got more than a few lines in the whole convo.

I'm not a Taylor hater but "her style is business savvy" is not exactly refuting the point lol

Now come on, I meant her style and then her business savvy as separate things lol. Taylor's earliest work I'd personally describe as not too interesting, but it has absolutely evolved in interesting ways regardless of her business and marketing acumen.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
lol

I care less about a billionaire than Courtney but ffs she's sounding like a Gen X Karen who had a few sangrias and felt the need to say what she thinks everyone is thinking. Eyes rolled so far back in my head they hurt.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Saying Taylor is a safe space for girls and that she's not important in the same breath

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I lost alot of respect for Courtney Love when she got all shitty about Olivia Rodrigo paying homage to the Live Through This album cover.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well she is entitled to her opinions. There's plenty of popular people I don't like too. I wish I were successful enough for my opinion to be sought out.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
"I haven't liked Lana since she covered a John Denver song[...]Up until 'Take Me Home Country Roads' I thought she was great."

Hold on, that's her most recent release, from only 4 months ago. There is no new song for her to have 'not liked' between the cover and now. What kind of unintentional compliment...

Truly an enigmatic woman.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
She's clearly referring to Swifts music, and she ain't wrong.Lots of really popular stuff isn't edifying or musically significant. Who cares about sales or "business savvy". She's entitled to her opinion. Live through this is way better than anything Taylor has ever done. Taylor is super basic, it's one of the reasons she is so popular, she cultivates it herself.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
As a musician, I respect all music but Im astounded the level of success that Swift has achieved. Her music is far from ground breaking or unique. I can only assume that shes smart enough to tap in to the current trends and have a great marketing and PR team.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I mean I don't like Courtney Love for a various host of different reasons but you know I'm not a celebrity and I'm pretty sure nobody asked her her opinion on those people.

I mean besides being tangently linked to Kurt Cobain did you do anything else after that? (A former coworker of mine absolutely hates her)

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I don't like Courtney Love for a various host of different reasons but you know I'm not a celebrity and I'm pretty sure nobody asked her her opinion on those people.

I mean besides being tangently linked to Kurt Cobain did you do anything else after that? (A former coworker of mine absolutely hates her)
Her band Hole was really good. And she is a top flight musician hater . Matched only by Noel Gallagher and Azealia Banks.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As a musician, I respect all music but Im astounded the level of success that Swift has achieved. Her music is far from ground breaking or unique. I can only assume that shes smart enough to tap in to the current trends and have a great marketing and PR team.

But that's the thing: music doesn't have to be groundbreaking or unique to be well-received or good.

A lot of the music industry (or the "industry" around any art form) is marketing. I'm not Taylor's biggest fan, but that's OK, because her music isn't for me.

The thing that makes Taylor Swift fascinating to me is she has zero'd in on her audience with laser precision, and she delivers to them exactly what they want at a very high level.

She's not Madonna. She's Nintendo.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
But that's the thing: music doesn't have to be groundbreaking or unique to be well-received or good.

A lot of the music industry (or the "industry" around any art form) is marketing. I'm not Taylor's biggest fan, but that's OK, because her music isn't for me.

The thing that makes Taylor Swift fascinating to me is she has zero'd in on her audience with laser precision, and she delivers to them exactly what they want at a very high level.

She's not Madonna. She's Nintendo.
Why did you have to make me think of how cool an Animal Crossing collab would be. You could have Olivia, Meredith and Benjamin as Villagers. Little Folklore and other Eras themed decorations, house styles and village items. Collab with KK slider and earn her music for the home.

Omg you could go around giving friendship bracelets to other villagers and they would give them to each other.

Urgh!!

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
More musicians should have opinions on other acts. We need to return to scenes actively shitting on other artists. Music is better for it.

A big part of me agrees with this. I'm a fan of everyone she name dropped here but I do prefer there to be space for this kind of snobbishness, criticality, frankness. We need talented haters.

In general, I'm not really on the "omg poptimism has ruined music discourse" train, but the part where the collective instinct is to celebrate all these icons at every turn instead of preserving room for deeply felt negative experiences with their work does bum me out slightly.

Like… looking back, all the criticism I've seen of Taylor Swift recently has been from either chuds or people with the most boomer energy imaginable. It's not often I see someone with anything resembling credibility criticize her from an artistic/musicality perspective, at least not with this kind of directness. And that's pure sacred cow stuff - no way do critics and artists, as a collective, not have some hard hitting criticism to lay on her music and what she does, as much as I enjoy it personally.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
Calling someone else unimportant is rich coming from the lady who's mostly remembered as "Kurt Cobain's girlfriend who possibly killed him depending on who you ask." That theory is more popular than her music ever was.

And I say this as someone who completely agrees with her take on T.Swift.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the Swift hate.

I mean, yea incels are gonna incel, but hating her for simply not being controversial enough or not leaning more into some kind of activism is ridiculous. We don't need agendas in everything.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
she's right about swift.

Her comment about TS isn't even an opinion, it's a fact.

Man, some people really show themselves with the Taylor hate on levels like this.

Personally not liking her music is one thing. Even saying she's not interesting is a perfectly valid opinion, though one that personally is crazy to me, given the trajectory of her career and what she's achieved.

But saying that Taylor Swift isn't important to music isn't an opinion. It's factually wrong. Like, on a delusional level.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They aren't her haha, she's right about Taylor not being interesting though IMO, but people like the music and the performance so there's gotta be something there. Not everyone needs to be counterculture or seek to disrupt. To say she's not important though, that's not true at least as it pertains to right now. Are people going to herald her as an icon generationally the same way they seem to do a band like Nirvana,? I doubt it, but that's rarified air, and even Nirvana might lose popularity over the next 50 years, it's only been 30 years since Cobain died, that is nothing timewise. As far as popularity/ubiquity, Swift is the Nirvana of today.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Man, some people really show themselves with the Taylor hate on levels like this.

Personally not liking her music is one thing. Even saying she's not interesting is a perfectly valid opinion, though one that personally is crazy to me, given the trajectory of her career and what she's achieved.

But saying that Taylor Swift isn't important to music isn't an opinion. It's factually wrong. Like, on a delusional level.

I just mean i don't think she's interesting at all. What she's accomplished is incredible.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
She and Madonna haven't gotten along in decades; they were butting heads way back during the 90s on the MTV VMAs.

The rest is just... I mean whatever, she hasn't been relevant pretty much since those VMAs.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of me agrees with this. I'm a fan of everyone she name dropped here but I do prefer there to be space for this kind of snobbishness, criticality, frankness. We need talented haters.

In general, I'm not really on the "omg poptimism has ruined music discourse" train, but the part where the collective instinct is to celebrate all these icons at every turn instead of preserving room for deeply felt negative experiences with their work does bum me out slightly.

Like… looking back, all the criticism I've seen of Taylor Swift recently has been from either chuds or people with the most boomer energy imaginable. It's not often I see someone with anything resembling credibility criticize her from an artistic/musicality perspective, at least not with this kind of directness. And that's pure sacred cow stuff - no way do critics and artists, as a collective, not have some hard hitting criticism to lay on her music and what she does, as much as I enjoy it personally.
The biggest bands would always get tons of shit too. It wasn't rising tides and all that. I enjoy a YouTube channel about musicians in the 60s London Scene reviewing the Singles for the Week in Melody Maker magazine. it was filled with charming put-downs and you would legitimately learn more about what was good or bad about something than you would understand by reading the mainstream music press.

As Led Zeppelin was the biggest band in the world and "making the most money" everyone was sniping at them in the press. Even if there was a tinge of jealousy over them keeping their cash after Jimmy Page plagiarized everyone. The biggest underground papers like Rolling Stone hated on them while the public couldn't get enough. There is room for an artist to be huge and also shit on for doing boring or commercial work.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't her haha, she's right about Taylor not being interesting though IMO, but people like the music and the performance so there's gotta be something there. Not everyone needs to be counterculture or seek to disrupt. To say she's not important though, that's not true at least as it pertains to right now. Are people going to herald her as an icon generationally the same way they seem to do a band like Nirvana,? I doubt it, but that's rarified air, and even Nirvana might lose popularity over the next 50 years, it's only been 30 years since Cobain died, that is nothing timewise. As far as popularity/ubiquity, Swift is the Nirvana of today.
I think the thing with Swift is her music isn't really trying to explore new grounds or push popular music. She goes after trends to continue to build her power. She hires producers to give her an indie sound, an urban sound, electronic sound, because that's what is hot. She isn't making anyone uncomfortable with her art. I think there is a lot of merit in making good, solid music that relates to people.