• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I was watching GameXplain's review of Team Sonic Racing and I've come to realize that their coverage on Nitro-Fueled is being practically nonexistent.. and that really odd, especially with the game coming to Switch.

All I remember they talking about the game was the initial reveal at the Game Awards, some time they played the at PAX and then when, for pure fluke, they reported the Best Buy demo, because Labo VR was being demoed there as well... all the important and big stuff is absent, since the CNK content reveal, the recent customization trailer and yesterday's stream with Nina and Brio teases and all..

If you ask me, that's a little bias showing up in their content; even though I particularly can understand that

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching GameXplain's review of Team Sonic Racing and I've come to realize that their coverage on Nitro-Fueled is being practically nonexistent.. and that really odd, especially with the game coming to Switch.

All I remember they talking about the game was the initial reveal at the Game Awards, some time they played the at PAX and then when, for pure fluke, they reported the Best Buy demo, because Labo VR was being demoed there as well... all the important and big stuff is absent, since the CNK content reveal, the recent customization trailer and yesterday's stream with Nina and Brio teases and all..

If you ask me, that's a little bias showing up in their content; even though I particularly can understand that

I haven't looked too much about this game, but it seems like almost every footage of the game in the preview cycle has been the PS4 version.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I haven't looked too much about this game, but it seems like almost every footage of the game in the preview cycle has been the PS4 version.
indeed, but so is the case of Team Sonic Racing all the time; Even the review code provided to journalists was the PS4 version only; I expect the same thing to repeat with CTR

In my opinion that's only their preference over Sonic when comes to coverage ~

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

They also haven't been following much on marvel ultimate alliance 3: the black order either. Everyone has their preferences(even if I do wish they'd cover it more, then again outside of the game informer stuff coverage and analysis has been pretty thin)

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
They also haven't been following much on marvel ultimate alliance 3: the black order either. Everyone has their preferences(even if I do wish they'd cover it more, then again outside of the game informer stuff coverage and analysis has been pretty thin)
Ooh, sure! I'm not blaming them for not covering, I just found odd, since you'd think their audience would appreciate, me included. That and the fact they're one of the biggest Nintendo YouTube channels, certainly would help grow awareness of new details ~

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

TBF, they didn't cover Crash at all when N. Sane was first released, only when it was multiplatform a year later that they started looking into it. Aren't they mostly affiliated with Nintendo anyways?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
TBF, they didn't cover Crash at all when N. Sane was first released, only when it was multiplatform a year later that they started looking into it. Aren't they mostly affiliated with Nintendo anyways?

Yeah, their YouTube channel description says as much:

Your one-stop shop for EVERYTHING Nintendo, including in-depth reviews, secrets, discussions, trailer analyses and tons more. Whether it's the next Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon game, or even the latest Mario iPhone & Android titles--we've got you covered!

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
yes, but Nitro-Fueled is a multiplatform game releasing on a Nintendo system too and a big game regardless. They covered other non-Nintendo games in the past as well, such Persona Dancing games, Kingdom Hearts III and Resident Evil 2.. it's all comes down to preference.

It was jus very a loud contrast this time around, because of Team Sonic Racing releasing in the very same circumstances (down to the PS4 version being the one often shown and now reviewed) and yet having a lot of coverage by them.

again, not that I would twist their arms to cover the game, I just found it strange;

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Maybe they'll cover more of it closer to release, if/when the Switch version becomes more readily available for demoing.
I expect a review by them anyway; there's no way they would miss that, at very least.

I personally not worried about their lack of updates on the game, I can very well follow the official sources and here in the threads to talk about when there's something new. I was just pointing out that some of their subscribers would appriciate more on Nitro-Fueled, at least I think so ~

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I expect a review by them anyway; there's no way they would miss that, at very least.

I personally not worried about their lack of updates on the game, I can very well follow the official sources and here in the threads to talk about when there's something new. I was just pointing out that some of their subscribers would appriciate more on Nitro-Fueled, at least I think so ~

I guess they just don't want to sell their audience too much on footage that doesn't quite reflect the Switch version of the game.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I guess they just don't want to sell their audience too much on footage that doesn't quite reflect the Switch version of the game.
that would apply to Team Sonic Racing as well, if was the case, isn't it? The only version demoed by SEGA was the PS4 too (and if wasn't by unfortunate leaks, we wouldn't even know that the Switch version runs at 30fps against 60fps of the other versions) and their review was also using PS4 footage, as SEGA only sent PS4 review codes;

Of course, that wouldn't be the first case of a big game they just decided to not cover; multiplatform or not.. (like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, as was mentioned); Is just a matter of what they particularly prefer to talk about, what excites them. That's fine ~

Was just really funny how TSR was in such similar situation to draw comparisons;

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They typically just cover whatever interests them, which lets be honest is Japanese IP. I don't really mind it since they work best as enthusiast fans than critics, but I can see why the content spread can seem strange.

Like lots of non-Switch games like Persona, Kingdom Hearts, RE2 Remake, etc. have popped up on their channel this year as an example.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
They typically just cover whatever interests them, which lets be honest is Japanese IP. I don't really mind it since they work best as enthusiast fans than critics, but I can see why the content spread can seem strange.

Like lots of non-Switch games like Persona, Kingdom Hearts, RE2 Remake, etc. have popped up on their channel this year as an example.
yeah, pretty much; I also prefer the way the handle their reviews and coverage, with actual excitement as a player. I imagined CTR would have the same effect to at least some of the members, but oh well ~ as you said, JPN IPs seems more in line of their tastes (and to be fair, is also where I fall into, with Crash being one of the few exceptions)

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I played the CTR demo a few weeks back and one of the funniest animations Papu has is him giving hand gestures to be served food.

It looks better than it sounds.

And he has jiggle physics too if anyone's morbidly curious.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I think it being called Cabrio is the intresting part of that particular vehicle.

Yes, I picked that up, and said what I said in order to defuse that assumption. I'm just not sure why they would assign one of Crash's TTR cars to Brio when the other CTTR cars have lost any reference to who owns them in their names, and Cabrio is a real car that looks similar to the yellow testcar.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Did they change up character stats? Going by these cards the balanced characters have more speed than acceleration characters now.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I hope the rumors of the PS4 Pro and One X version being 60fps is true.

95% chance they aren't. At least some of the store demos were running on PS4 Pro and the game was 30fps there. Plus--correct me if I'm wrong--it's uncommon for competitive online games to have different fps targets between the base consoles and the upgraded versions. I know that's obviously not the case for games that cross-play with PC, but I don't know of any examples on a single console where you can get double the framerate as your online opponent.

At this point I just hope the 30fps is rock solid, that the controls are responsive with as little input lag as possible (see Destiny 2, which is 30fps but really responsive), and that the 30fps is maintained well in split-screen. And hopefully they leave open the possibility of 60fps on next gen consoles through boosted backwards compatibility.

Feb 8, 2018
95% chance they aren't. At least some of the store demos were running on PS4 Pro and the game was 30fps there. Plus--correct me if I'm wrong--it's uncommon for competitive online games to have different fps targets between the base consoles and the upgraded versions. I know that's obviously not the case for games that cross-play with PC, but I don't know of any examples on a single console where you can get double the framerate as your online opponent.

At this point I just hope the 30fps is rock solid, that the controls are responsive with as little input lag as possible (see Destiny 2, which is 30fps but really responsive), and that the 30fps is maintained well in split-screen. And hopefully they leave open the possibility of 60fps on next gen consoles through boosted backwards compatibility.

All they'd have to do to solve the Online MP problem is the same solution that's been used for splitscreen in the past. lock it to 30fps for everyone.

Other than that i can say I like how much it looks like a classic 90's or 2000 game and is not trying to reinvent the wheel with adding new stuff no one asked for. Or in other words it captures the feel of such a game which isn't too surprising but worth mentioning. My biggest complain is that the sense of speed hasn't been exciting at least in the gameplay videos i've seen.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
All they'd have to do to solve the Online MP problem is the same solution that's been used for splitscreen in the past. lock it to 30fps for everyone.

Other than that i can say I like how much it looks like a classic 90's or 2000 game and is not trying to reinvent the wheel with adding new stuff no one asked for. Or in other words it captures the feel of such a game which isn't too surprising but worth mentioning. My biggest complain is that the sense of speed hasn't been exciting at least in the gameplay videos i've seen.

Frankly it's because no one understands the boosting system and Activision's reps do a horrible job of explaining it to people at events. There should be a tutorial for it in the game proper, as there was in the original, though.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Other than that i can say I like how much it looks like a classic 90's or 2000 game and is not trying to reinvent the wheel. Or in other words it captures the feel of such a game which isn't too surprising but worth mentioning. My biggest complain is that the sense of speed hasn't been exciting at least in the gameplay videos i've seen.

From what I've seen, there is very very little footage of high-level play of the game going around. Half the folks they bring on to showcase the game don't even know to hop off of jumps or use items they pick up. That the game is still entertaining to a degree is impressive, but it can be aggravating to watch for folks who play or have played CTR a lot.

I think it's fair to say that the sense of speed is dictated heavily by the skill of the player. CTR's racing mechanics require a lot of active engagement. To win, you want to drift, hop off of jumps, collect wumpa fruit, and hit turbo pads as much as possible, to say nothing of hitting shortcuts. Good timing will get you better bonuses when drift boosting too, and the more drift boosts you land between hitting turbo pads, the longer your turbo pad boost will last. At high levels of play, you'll be boosting one way or another throughout the track.

CTR is pretty deep for a kart racer, especially for a 1999 kart racer.

That said, you're not going to get the sense of speed that you might in something like Team Sonic Racing. The scale just isn't the same. CTR's tracks are generally very tight, and many require skillful sharp turns. It's also a lot more vertical from what I've seen, at least in terms of getting big hang-time. Time with your wheels off the ground is time well spent.

Here's some old footage of an N. Gin player who knows how to get some big speed. It's off screen, so some of the visual splendor and speed effects are lost, but it should give you an idea of how you can really start to zip at higher levels of play.

For a lol, check his position on the minimap by the second lap.

Feb 8, 2018
Thanks for your explanations and the video (will check later), Wrestleman and Ryuhza.

I have nothing against deep mechanics to gain momentum in this type of game. I realized I haven't played a Kart racer since 2007 the only thing that I've played after that and can be compared is Blur (only the Demo) on PS3 and it was 30fps and still pretty fun to play. 60fps on the Pro would be a nice bonus for this but it doesn't look like it'll happen.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Frankly it's because no one understands the boosting system and Activision's reps do a horrible job of explaining it to people at events. There should be a tutorial for it in the game proper, as there was in the original, though.
Actually in the original game it's only mentioned in a single moment of dialog by aku Aku after the second or third race that can be easily missed. In fact I had to read the manual to find out how it works

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe there will be different difficulty settings. It's an older build of the game too, pre PAX and definitely pre the livestream the other day.

He was going exceptionally fast, but I'm surprised that no one hit him with a warp or or a clock.
in the first stream they changed the difficulty a few times and they were not boosting so AI got way ahead of them

also there is a bunch of weird stuff in cortex castle

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I like the vitrals and the Fake Crash, Brio and Nina appearances in Cortex Castle; --they even got Cortex dressed as Coco, like in the beginning of TwinSanity. That fills the place with personality, transmiting that Cortex got a huge inflated ego.

~ Btw, I saw somewhere there were more CTTR cars than I previous thought? That image I posted in the last page didn't had everything; The Nostalginator was one of them I saw people mentioning;

Likewise at the Bandipedia there's a mention of "all the tires from Crash Tag Team Racing", which I don't seem to find source anywhere. That would mean cars with really big wheels (the Overcompensator is one lol) like Mario Kart;

Last edited:

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the possibility that Spyro gets into this game is exciting. A part of me would have loved if this game was a mashup of both Crash and Spyro. I get it's a remake, so doing that would probably be going a little too far. Still, the Spyro series has a ton of characters that would lend itself well to CTR. I'd love some sort of DLC expansion or something that was Spyro themed. Here's a list I threw together out of boredom.

7bqfHUI.png

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Thinking about the possibility that Spyro gets into this game is exciting. A part of me would have loved if this game was a mashup of both Crash and Spyro. I get it's a remake, so doing that would probably be going a little too far. Still, the Spyro series has a ton of characters that would lend itself well to CTR. I'd love some sort of DLC expansion or something that was Spyro themed. Here's a list I threw together out of boredom.

7bqfHUI.png

Yeah, I'd buy it.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

7bqfHUI.png

They're already eating sonic's lunch with the game as is, if they made it a crossover Kart game like Transformed was that would further bury TSR's chances of beating CTR, lol.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I like the vitrals and the Fake Crash, Brio and Nina appearances in Cortex Castle; --they even got Cortex dressed as Coco, like in the beginning of TwinSanity. That feels the place with personality, transmiting that Cortex got a huge inflated ego.

~ Btw, I saw somewhere there were more CTTR cars than I previous thought? That image I posted in the last page didn't had everything; The Nostalginator was one of them I saw people mentioning;

Likewise at the Bandipedia there's a mention of "all the tires from Crash Tag Team Racing", which I don't seem to find source anywhere. That would mean cars with really big wheels (the Overcompensator is one lol) like Mario Kart;
Now I want a Coco costume for Cortex

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017

7bqfHUI.png
Where do i sign

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Has this been posted?

Some genuinely high-skill play, showing off the reserves system and what appears to be the new USF system. Looks plenty fast, to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if the high speed of the gameplay combined with using Alchemy as the engine and the limitations of current gen hardware had something to do with the decision to cap the framerate at 30. A 16ms frame target is a tough ask if you start to bump up against the physical limits of how fast you can get data off the hard drive, after all.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted?

Some genuinely high-skill play, showing off the reserves system and what appears to be the new USF system. Looks plenty fast, to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if the high speed of the gameplay combined with using Alchemy as the engine and the limitations of current gen hardware had something to do with the decision to cap the framerate at 30. A 16ms frame target is a tough ask if you start to bump up against the physical limits of how fast you can get data off the hard drive, after all.

ABB

Always Be Boostin', baby

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Has this been posted?

If this game doesn't have a ranked system online then I can't wait to see theads soon after release.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

7bqfHUI.png
With CTRNF possibly having all crash characters, the only way the sequal can happen is if they start inlcuding spyro items characters and worlds.
Crash Spyro Racing

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

7bqfHUI.png
First 4 as DLC here, all the rest in the Crash Spyro Racing sequel

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Part of why I prefer Sonic is the team aspects as well as the modes-- will this have a similar mode where you can eliminate players who are last every lap? I think that's fun

Status
Not open for further replies.