Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
200px-PaoloMaldini.jpg

Five CL.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only acceptable rebuttal to the OP is Messi. There might've been flashier players that were more fun to watch, but Messi and CR7s consistency has allowed them to do things that no one in this history of football has done.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Messi is great and would be considered a very strong asset to every team even without his goals. Can't say the same for Ronaldo. He is the best at what he does.... But Messi can bring more to the table if needed.

If I were to start a new club and had to choose a player to build a team around I def. would choose Messi instead of Ronaldo.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I don't value winning/trophies as much as individual performance, but I still give Ronaldo the slight edge over Messi. He's just been so great for so long while Messi's case has slightly diminished over time.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ronaldo is in a great team at the moment and like Messi earlier this decade, he's winning trophies because of that. and while he had nothing to do with that Portugal win in the final, there is no doubt that they made it to that final because of him.

I am a big Ronaldo fan, but its painfully obvious that Messi is simply more skilled. probably because he's shorter and can pull some crazy runs, but Ronaldo has to rely on pure speed and power which means he cant pull off those zigzag runs like messi more often.

Messi deserves a few more international trophies but his national team just isnt as good as his team in Barcelona.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Stick them in the 70s and 80s and they would be retired or broken in their 30s

Maradona, Van Basten got targeted and kicked to shreds every game

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Why oh please? He was phenomenal for Germany and Bayern. His scoring stats are comperable to Messi or Ronaldo. He performed on the biggest stage over and over again. He happened to play at a time when Cruyff and Beckenbauer dominated the Ballon d'Or but that is no slight to his skill. The man had a nose for goal.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why oh please? He was phenomenal for Germany and Bayern. His scoring stats are comperable to Messi or Ronaldo. He performed on the biggest stage over and over again. He happened to play at a time when Cruyff and Beckenbauer dominated the Ballon d'Or but that is no slight to his skill. The man had a nose for goal.

Sure, and obviously that makes him an all time great. Not the GOAT though.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Ronaldo is the 2nd-GOAT, but Messi is an alien. Ronaldo transitioned from creative winger to elite goalscoring winger to pure goalscorer as his foot speed declined while maintaining out-of-this-world scoring rates basically for a decade. His career is without precedent.

But Messi has better goalscoring rates, better assist rates, is more efficient with his shots and passes, is the best progressive dribbler of all time, is a better outlet in possession (where his ability to receive the ball in tight spaces, which Ronaldo has never been great at, gives his team instant transitions from defense into attack), and at his physical peak also contributed defensively within Barcelona's press. Peak Messi was the best attacking midfielder in the world and the best striker in the world at the same time. His combination of acceleration and close control shouldn't be possible.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think Peak Messi is probably better than Peak Ronaldo, but Ronaldo is just going to have a more complete career at the end of the day I think.
Statistics do not back this sentiment up. Messi is carrying Barça to another league title this year.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Sure, and obviously that makes him an all time great. Not the GOAT though.

You gotta adjust for European Cup vs UCL / 16 team WC vs 32 Team WC etc.
Müller was the GOAT when you use goals per game, trophies and all other metrics.
What Müller did between 1970 and 1976 is beyond anything Messi and CR7 have ever done.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Statistics do not back this sentiment up. Messi is carrying Barça to another league title this year.

"Messi is carrying Barca" is not really a statistic. It's just another meaningless sentiment. Which is sort of what all player vs player debates are at the end of the day (especially when both are undeniable GOAT contenders).

What does that even mean?

Better international play (yeah I know it's a weird thing to count, but IMO when both players are insanely great and very close, it's that type of thing that gives an edge) and longevity are two small things that I'll count in Ronaldo's favor. Although it's hard to tell right now for sure, because if Ronaldo's athleticism slips, IMO he's less equipped to handle it than Messi is. I could see Messi having a better 30s than Ronaldo, for instance.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Is this futbols Manning vs Brady? I feel like it is.

Not even close. Other players have won NFL MVP during the Brady/Manning era. Nobody has won the "Ballon Dor" (soccer MVP) besides CR7 or Messi since 2008(iirc).

Their rivalry is more like Montana vs Brady if both were playing in the same in the same era and one was playing for Dallas while the other was playing for the Steelers.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
"Messi is carrying Barca" is not really a statistic. It's just another meaningless sentiment. Which is sort of what all player vs player debates are at the end of the day (especially when both are undeniable GOAT contenders).

Better international play (yeah I know it's a weird thing to count, but IMO when both players are insanely great and very close, it's that type of thing that gives an edge) and longevity are two small things that I'll count in Ronaldo's favor. Although it's hard to tell right now for sure, because if Ronaldo's athleticism slips, IMO he's less equipped to handle it than Messi is. I could see Messi having a better 30s than Ronaldo, for instance.

Ronaldo has a EC thanks to Eder as he left the game after the 24th minute. His major international tournament stats are comperable to Messi's. So I am not sure how this single game is the decider between the two.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
The international play isn't as cut-and-dry but I think Messi, though he lacks the major trophy, has been far better game-in and game-out than Ronaldo. Even peak Ronaldo disappeared for entire games with Portugal in a way that peak Messi basically never did with Argentina.

e.g. Messi gets criticized for his 2010 WC, but if you re-watch those games he was the best player on the pitch by miles in every game despite getting triple teams. And that with the most dysfunctional team surroundings possible.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I do agree that Messi is unfairly dragged for shit like that WC. It's basically Ronaldo superfans wanting to make memes out of it and ignoring how great Messi was.

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not sure how anyone who watches La Liga each week can come out with the opinion that Messi didn't completely carry Barça to the title again this year. Suarez was god awful until around December, & Dembélé was injured.

That whole attack was basically Messi, with supporting roles from Paulinho & owngoals.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
They are both exceptional players, but I can't take individual accomplishments so seriously in a sport with such uncompetitive leagues.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to your statistics, gonna be hard for Messi to have a more complete career with no trophies for Argentina.
Measuring players' all-time value by international trophies is pretty pointless. There are so many fantastic players that would lose out on the running to be a top all-time player because they were unfortunate in their international careers. You could be better than Messi or Ronaldo but if you're born in a country where your compatriots don't match your quality you'll never win anything. Argentina have been a pretty poorly managed nation during Messi's career. Portugal won a trophy against all odds and Ronaldo wasn't on the field.

Obviously, winning international titles is a great achievement but not doing it is not something I'd hold against any player. Steven Gerrard won nothing with England and never won a League title but no one would ever doubt that he was one of greatest midfielders England has ever produced.

It's not really a meaningless sentiment when it's clearly backed up by stats and the simple eye test with Barça games.

Lunchbox-

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
until messi wins something with argentina he is a no one

4 Goats of their era, Pele, Matadona, Zidane, Cristiano all won for their country, while messi quit on his.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Stick them in the 70s and 80s and they would be retired or broken in their 30s

Maradona, Van Basten got targeted and kicked to shreds every game

Stick those 70's and 80's players in a match now and they'd be getting subbed off 20 minutes in as they'd be shattered, unable to keep up with modern day players.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Stick those 70's and 80's players in a match now and they'd be getting subbed off 20 minutes in as they'd be shattered, unable to keep up with modern day players.

What a bunch of bullshit? The greats would still be great today. Are you implying that RVN or Inzaghi were better players than Muller or Van Basten? Look at Maldini who played against several of the 80s stars and still bossed many of the greats today in the late 00s, or Pirlo running the midfield while barely moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.