• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I was pretty gung-ho on double dipping on Switch today but now I think I might hold off until the physical edition, which I assume will come when the DLC hits. But I have been itching for another playthrough lately...

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Really temped to triple dip on this for the novelty of portability, but I may wait until the DLC is out and trying to clear a backlog.

For those having trouble, what helped me finish normal was ignoring the charge shot on your first playthrough and use your limited coins on other stuff. I'd even say save the spread for later and just prioritize the horseshoe one (can't remember the name) and the chaser, and buying the heart upgrades. It makes some fights longer, but the trade off of extra lives for more damage and more random hits on enemies when I was spazzing around was easily worth it for me. I had to give up the invincible dash, but I just wasn't precise enough to make the best use of it. I think you couldn't get the extra hearts until you bought a couple other things first, but you could check a guide. This of course comes with a big YMMV, as your style may differ, but it got me through the first time after having given up for a while.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Oh, wow. That's seriously awesome.

Are you also the voice that says "A brawl is surely brewing" and other intro quotes?

No, I believe that's one of the Shoptimus Prime guys. I believe I provided a voice sample for "Wallop!" early on, but it sounded terrible and got scrapped. Just my outro samples managed to escape the editor's knife.

May 16, 2018
Damn, this game is good. Beating a boss gives me the same feeling as doing so in Dark Souls. I feel pretty pushed to my limit already though and I'm maybe only halfway through. Im hoping I can push through the whole thing.

Soundtrack is perfect too. Does each boss have its own song? Seems that way so far.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I just don't understand how I take a hit 75% of the time I try to parry

Try hitting the jump button earlier. The parry window is active for about half a second after you hit jump again in the air, so you can literally initiate the parry, then run into the object.

Often times, if you're trying to hit a parry the exact frame you contact the pink thing, you're gambling with being a frame too late.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Loving it. Almost done with the first island and the game is kicking my ass. On Normal!

Speaking of, I only see Easy and Normal when starting a level. I presume you have to beat the game to unlock harder difficulties. Does it go straight to Expert from Normal or is there a "Hard" difficulty in between?

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Loving it. Almost done with the first island and the game is kicking my ass. On Normal!

Speaking of, I only see Easy and Normal when starting a level. I presume you have to beat the game to unlock harder difficulties. Does it go straight to Expert from Normal or is there a "Hard" difficulty in between?

Straight to Expert and yep you need to finish the game to unlock it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying what I've played so far, have one boss left on the first island. Loving the difficulty so far, challenging but fair.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this game is good. Beating a boss gives me the same feeling as doing so in Dark Souls. I feel pretty pushed to my limit already though and I'm maybe only halfway through. Im hoping I can push through the whole thing.

Soundtrack is perfect too. Does each boss have its own song? Seems that way so far.

I always felt like the soundtrack was the one thing about this game that's not a note-perfect match to the 1930s. It feels more like 1950s or 60s jazz to me. Those old 30s and 40s cartoons had less big-band brass and more slower-tempo strings and woodwinds in their tunes, and had more of a muffled sound.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
We're workin' as hard as we can. The Switch port and subsequent free content update kinda threw a bit of a spanner in the works.

But we're still grindin'!
Like some others have asked, any estimate on when to expect a physical release? I really want it *now* but don't want to double dip if we're talking a matter of weeks. If it's coming after the DLC is released, is it safe to say that physical is still several months away?

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Like some others have asked, any estimate on when to expect a physical release? I really want it *now* but don't want to double dip if we're talking a matter of weeks. If it's coming after the DLC is released, is it safe to say that physical is still several months away?

It's way more than several months away. Like, there's no way a physical version is coming out in 2019.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
After years of watching let's plays, I finally got my chance today. What a wonderful game. Paradoxically beautiful considering my inability to appreciate the art in favor of raw survival! Can't wait to jump back in tomorrow.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I have this on xb1 and I want to hold out for physical..... but I'm not sure I can make it...

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I think this game could make my top 5 greatest of all time. Not even joking. It has everything I want in a game. Uniqueness, tight gameplay, personality, humour, challenge. Thank you Teeth and everyone at MDHR. Simply incredible job.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
What's the benefits of getting A+ ranks?
Is it just for achievements, or new content?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Love just how well this runs and fits on the Switch. Always assumed it would but having it in hand now is just 👌

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I remember making a bet with a friend about Cuphead. The bet was to beat the game in less than 2 hours for my first playthrough on Steam, thinking it would be a platformer game only. Well, it was not and I lost the bet by one hour. The charged shot was pretty OP, I don't know if they changed it since then.
I fell in love with the game and did all the achievements afterwards in 10 hours total. Good times.
Hope you are all enjoying it right now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I remember making a bet with a friend about Cuphead. The bet was to beat the game in less than 2 hours for my first playthrough on Steam, thinking it would be a platformer game only. Well, it was not and I lost the bet by one hour. The charged shot was pretty OP, I don't know if they changed it since then.
I fell in love with the game and did all the achievements afterwards in 10 hours total. Good times.
Hope you are all enjoying it right now.
Beat the game in under 3 hours when you went in believing it to be a standard platformer? Either that's a pretty big humble brag or I suck at the game. Likely both.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Beat the game in under 3 hours when you went in believing it to be a standard platformer? Either that's a pretty big humble brag or I suck at the game. Likely both.

As I said, the charged shot was pretty damn good, it may help you.
Edit: I just checked my steam profile, between the achievement of the first boss defeated and the final boss, 3h40 passed. My memory deceived me a little :-(