• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Will these ever be a thing over here?

At the old place I got mine for doing a random photoshop for one of the mods many years ago. I told him to surprise me and I was given "not a medical professional" as my tag, and it was so clever and went with my username quite well.

I must admit, I do kind of miss it. And if there's some plan or procedure to don migrated members with tags again, I'd love to extend the same freedom to the mod team: surprise me.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they already exist, but right now only mods and industry people have them. Nobody's done funny stuff yet.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never had a tag at the place that should not be named, but if any mod wants to surprise me too, go ahead. DrEvil is evil and shouldn't get a tab, jiiikoo is nice and should.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer custom tags being saved for when someone does something epic or stupid, tbh.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Can I be petty and request that the mods never give a tag to anyone who asks for one?

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Being tagged by mods was of the funniest/craziest things over at GAF. I think I still like the idea of only mods being able to tag members.

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I sure hope so, I thought the way that worked was really fun and kind of unique. Hopefully the mods here do it a similar way

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so, people change their avatars and usernames too much, custom tagging helps me remember who's who.

Being tagged by mods was of the funniest/craziest things over at GAF. I think I still like the idea of only mods being able to tag members.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, though, custom tags could appear above usernames while mod tags appear under. Not to mention that custom tags will only be visible for the user who assigns them.

Edit: I just realized that OP isn't talking about custom tags by users.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should be user-settable. I'd rather not have admins and mods doing passive aggressive shit to users undocumented.

If that can't be done then drop the concept entirely.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's already some non mod tags.

"Membero Americo" - from GAF
"Keeping it 100K" - the person with the 100,000th post.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea, I miss my tag too.
Bish gave me "been begging for 5 years" from a tag fishing thread.

Bless me Admins. I'm begging.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I miss my tag too.
Bish gave me "been begging for 5 years" from a tag fishing thread.

Bless me Admins. I'm begging.

I tag-fished a few times back then. I'm a changed man now knowing it'll never happen.
I kid though. I always thought it was just luck of the draw if you had a funny post that made a mod laugh or just something really moronic that was said.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan just because it seems unattainable for your average poster. Just seems unfair. Some of them were funny for sure, but not the biggest fan unless it were more accessible.

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Before I had my old tag at the old place I would have dreams about being tagged, some good some bad.

Guess they are gonna start up again.

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Can I be petty and request that the mods never give a tag to anyone who asks for one?
Bc3FuDc.jpg

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One day I'll get my irongaf/cooking related Tag..my miso salmon onigiri just were not enough. But today is not that day!
But seriously, if you don't take it serious it is way more fun.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I never wanted my tag at the old place, but I do miss my first tag (Ice to meet you) because it linked to a trap thread I made that proved nobody reads anything beyond the titles.

My second one was some long-ass tag about how Thanos loses when The Avengers team up to stop him, because a mod thought it was funny how much I hate spoilers and very obviously disagreed with my sentiments. It was probably duckroll. I dunno though. Either way, I have mixed feelings about being freed from that tag.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not so subtle way of saying "I want my status back" lol

I had one too, if I earn one here, cool, if not, who cares

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer if they didn't come back.

Firstly, they create an environment of the haves and have-nots, which is what this site is rightly trying to get away from with hiding junior statuses.

Secondly, it can drive certain posters to behave in ways they otherwise wouldn't, trying to become infamous and 'tag fishing'.

Ultimately, I don't think it enhances the community any. The reputable great posters will become known through their actions, not by a tag.