Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the people complaining about it clearly don't understand what Cyberpunk 2077 is. They think it's a GTA clone or is somehow supposed to be Blade Runner. It's hard to watch people shitting on a good thing because they don't know what they're looking at.
Is that not the fault of the trailer though? How can you say "people are disappointed with what they're seeing because they don't know what they're looking at"? To me that plainly means either the trailer didn't do its job, or people had expectations that were way off base, based on what's been said about the game up to this point. There are people who maybe saw a promo pic or two, only know "cyberpunk" because of Blade Runner (which to me makes sense, it's easily the most popular "cyberpunk" piece of media and it's a pretty niche thing as-is), and now have seen the trailer which IS a bit different than those things. And as far as the whole GTA comparison, the trailer DOES look like the trailer for GTA V. Not in terms of setting, but just in terms of the trailer itself. I think people would've had a different reaction had they shown some gameplay (RPG elements, questing, etc.). But if you were to slap "GTA: 2077" on this trailer instead of knowing it's for Cyberpunk 2077, would it really be that off-base?

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest question is why people seem to be taking personal offense to those people who weren't happy with the trailer. Why do you give a shit? Just be happy you enjoy it lol.

Could it be because you're insecure about your own feelings towards it?
I think the biggest frustration that stems from it is that those voicing the complaints don't seem to understand that the game is based off of an existing IP with it's own distinct version of the cyberpunk art style, and trailer nailed it. To me, it's as ridiculous as watching a Witcher trailer and then proceeding to label the game an Elder Scrolls clone because it doesn't look like Game of Thrones.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about this, you haven't presented a single valid argument as to why this game isn't cyberpunk, your knowledge of the genre seems to be extremely limited, you don't seem to understand that there can be a large number of styles within one genre, you don't seem to understand the source material of the game (the Cyberpunk pen and paper series) and lastly you some how don't think that the trailer presents a dark, pessimistic and overall dystopian future, even though that's exactly what's on display.
One of many center points of Cyberpunk stories are a vision of a recognizable, near future, which is interesting and cool in concept, but noting desirable in reality. I think this is, what really is the big problematic with the trailer. It tries to sell the game-world and concept so strong, that it losses the point of making the world undesirable. Yes, questionable parts of this world exists in the trailer, but the overall tune of the video is positive, playful and fun.

I feels like the marketing department create the trailer to sell the game-world to the audience, but kind of missed the point behind Cyberpunk and having a undesirable world. It's the wrong kind of marketing for this kind of subject matter.

I really want to play in the game world and have all those features, which are represented in the trailer. But it misses the pessimism and overcoming it, which i love about the genre.
Look out very bold statement! I would it compare it to The Fifth Element. Yes, the movie has many similar elements and fucked up parts like many Cyberpunk stories and worlds, but the tune overall is completely different. That's why it isn't a Cyberpunk movie.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
My biggest question is why people seem to be taking personal offense to those people who weren't happy with the trailer. Why do you give a shit? Just be happy you enjoy it lol.

Really starting to look that way to me. Some of us just wanted a more Blade Runner'esque aesthetic and feel.
Very few claimed to be experts on Cyberpunk, or proclaim that this game had to adhere to those visuals.
It's just a preference, lets chill.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This is a weird thread. The amount of aggressiveness from people who liked or dislikes the trailer is weird. Can we talk about specifics shown in the trailer?

How open world will the game be? What will the city be like? More like Mass Effect's citadel, GTA or Witcher's Novigrad?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

People aren't criticizing "not being happy with the trailer". They're criticizing the mindset that cyberpunk equals Blade Runner-style imagery and tone, and thus what's shown here isn't true to the genre

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest frustration that stems from it is that those voicing the complaints don't seem to understand that the game is based off of an existing IP with it's own distinct version of the cyberpunk art style, and trailer nailed it. To me, it's as ridiculous as watching a Witcher trailer and then proceeding to label the game an Elder Scrolls clone because it doesn't look like Game of Thrones.
That's a fair point. To be completely honest with you I've been hyped for this game since it was announced and I only found out it was based on a board/card game (or whatever) yesterday lol.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Speaking as someone that had zero interest in this game until this trailer, I'd be completely satisfied if this did turn out to be GTA: Cyberpunk. It's not like I'm gonna be getting a good GTA anytime soon.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
One of many center points of Cyberpunk stories are a vision of a recognizable, near future, which is interesting and cool in concept, but noting desirable in reality. I think this is, what really is the big problematic with the trailer. It tries to sell the game-world and concept so strong, that it losses the point of making the world undesirable. Yes, questionable parts of this world exists in the trailer, but the overall tune of the video is positive, playful and fun.

I feels like the marketing department create the trailer to sell the game-world to the audience, but kind of missed the point behind Cyberpunk and having a undesirable world. It's the wrong kind of marketing for this kind of subject matter.

I really want to play in the game world and have all those features, which are represented in the trailer. But it misses the pessimism and overcoming it, which i love about the genre.
Look out very bold statement! I would it compare it to The Fifth Element. Yes, the movie has many similar elements and fucked up parts like many Cyberpunk stories and worlds, but the tune overall is completely different. That's why it isn't a Cyberpunk movie.
Da fuq? The entire trailer is about how terrible the city is.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It hasn't even been a year since Blade Runner 2049 and already people are forgetting how utterly misguided early criticisms of that films style now look.

Seriously, do we have to go through this shit every time a modern science fiction film decides to be a bit adventurous with its visual palette?

Turnpulse

Apr 9, 2018
The problem is people saying this isn't cyberpunk and complaining that it's not a carbon copy of Blade Runner and not even realizing that this is an existing IP.

I have no problem that it doesn't seem as dark as blade runner or whatever. It's just that the tone and the message is not what I expected after the teaser years ago. The narrator said something about the worst city but I see a lot of happy people (albeit not looking wealthy), guns, cars and sci-fi thingies. Nothing out of the ordinary. I think the trailer was just bad. And cyberpunk or not, if I make an open world U.S. city with guns, cars and crime I will get compared to GTA 5. :/

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is a weird thread. The amount of aggressiveness from people who liked or dislikes the trailer is weird. Can we talk about specifics shown in the trailer?

How open world will the game be? What will the city be like? More like Mass Effect's citadel, GTA or Witcher's Novigrad?
The map of Night City in the PnP game might be a good start.

Cyberpunk%202020%20-%20Map%20-%20Color%20Coded%20Night%20City%20Map.jpg

In this case the city is the entire game, so more comparable to e.g. GTA.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair point. To be completely honest with you I've been hyped for this game since it was announced and I only found out it was based on a board/card game (or whatever) yesterday lol.
Don't get me wrong, I loooooove the traditional neo-noir look and I'm an absolute sucker for that, but I'm positive the game will still manage to pull that off during night time.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks absolutely amazing. So far my game of the show. I can not wait to see some gameplay. Hopefully it's more 3rd person than first though. :/

And I wonder if I should play on PS4 Pro or wait for the Ps5/ Xbox Two version.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem that it doesn't seem as dark as blade runner or whatever. It's just that the tone and the message is not what I expected after the teaser years ago. The narrator said something about the worst city but I see a lot of happy people (albeit not looking wealthy), guns, cars and sci-fi thingies. Nothing out of the ordinary. I think the trailer was just bad. And cyberpunk or not, if I make an open world U.S. city with guns, cars and crime I will get compared to GTA 5. :/
Did you also see the people being beaten? How about the shootings? Do you expect every one to be depressed?

Oct 30, 2017
Well I'm a tanned gym-goer and I too found it disappointing so you can stop with that rubbish right away you bully.

Seriously what GTA/Infamous looking shite this is. Completely different to the preview picture.

original.jpg

Are you kidding? Set the trailer at night and this is literally what you get.

I do enjoy the salt though because half of the naysayers are probably CDPR stans who defended TW3 to death.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I genuinely don't understand how somebody could misinterpret a trailer so hard. If you don't see pessimism and many shades of dystopia in that trailer, then I have to wonder if you even watched the same trailer that everyone else here did.

Dystopias don't come in one color scheme, one flavor. If you see color and smiles, and immediately resolve that the setting they're found in thus can't be dystopian, then that's totally on you. Not on the setting, or its portrayal.

It's on you, for having pigeonholed the whole concept.

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Other than the sexy parts, nothing in the trailer was fun and made me be there.
You keep insisting on a very flawed thesis.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
People who think cyberpunk should only take place on a rainy night need to read/watch more cyberpunk. This seems more along the lines of Transmetropolitan than something like Blade Runner, which is good! Permanent dark and gloomy night time would suck.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I am silly to start thinking about a build and a backstory already? I am going to see if I can actually find the PnP game and read more about the world and the game system.

Oct 27, 2017
I bet theyre all the same main character and he/she can transfer conciousness between bodies or something

You can experience 'Total Recall' type scenarios which are fed directly into the cerebral cortex, which are then at risk of being jacked, and debt collectors who 'brainwipe' people who don't pay their bills.

So yes, experiencing different bodies / genders might be possible.

I think it looks great - definite Megacity vibes - can't wait to see the game in action properly.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I hope there's driving.

More than that I hope the driving is great.

Both land and flying vehicles, they hired people a while ago for it.

It's hard for me to get hyped for a game where I have no idea what it's supposed to be. Grand Theft Auto in the future?

Open city/ surrounding wasteland open world rpg, with customizable characters and player classes. Looks like each class will have their own story archs by the looks of the trailer showing off each one in different situations.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Da fuq? The entire trailer is about how terrible the city is.
No, it looks cool, full of danger and opportunities with a great song in the background, which calls for action. Like i said, a cyperpunk world should be cool in concept and they nailed that. They just missed out the pessimistic parts, which i always look forward to in any cyberpunk story.
And to remind you, i still can see, those parts coming in the future. Just this trailer goes against the thematic (i loved the teaser trailer).

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how you can look at this trailer and think this is a desirable place to live.

Completely missed the point

Turnpulse

Apr 9, 2018
Did you also see the people being beaten? How about the shootings? Do you expect every one to be depressed?

yeah well the "worst city" on earth has people beaten and shot? Color me unsurprised. Like I said, I think the trailer just isn't well composed. I expected something deeper, which will exist in the game. But the message of the trailer wasn't to my licking. I feel less hype for the game after watching the trailer since it felt pretty generic to me.

Rehevkor

Oct 31, 2017
I am silly to start thinking about a build and a backstory already? I am going to see if I can actually find the PnP game and read more about the world and the game system.

Hell no! I'm doing the same thing. That's one of my favorite things about a game like this. I'll probably restart half a dozen times before finishing it just to try new character concepts. I'm curious about how much quest/dialog reactivity there is to cybernetics, and how different a heavily cyberized character may turn out in the story compared to a humanist/naturalist type. So many possibilities!

Turnpulse

Apr 9, 2018
No, it looks cool, full of danger and opportunities with a great song in the background, which calls for action. Like i said, a cyperpunk world should be cool in concept and they nailed that. They just missed out the pessimistic parts, which i always look forward to in any cyberpunk story.
And to remind you, i still can see, those parts coming in the future. Just this trailer goes against the thematic (i loved the teaser trailer).

you pretty much describe what bothers me with the trailer.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pessimism pervades throughout the whole trailer, in nearly every shot. I don't know what you mean at all.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm a tanned gym-goer and I too found it disappointing so you can stop with that rubbish right away you bully.

Seriously what GTA/Infamous looking shite this is. Completely different to the preview picture.

original.jpg

Maybe watch the trailer again. Or better yet, this post I conveniently quoted for you:

Honestly, I thought the transition during the train scene was pretty damn good at showing the incredible differences in terms of mood that you can achieve just by using changes in lighting. But since some people are needlessly worried about the lack of "dark" scenes, here are a few from the same trailer:

cTneZxW.gif

5ET6sXS.gif

vleCPlk.gif

uu1Pd88.gif

tnJTpy0.gif

GG1Mavt.gif

KEIOYHR.gif

rXL85oH.gif

Edit: Dat Arasaka meeting. Also, female protag?

Or get a new set of eyes.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you can look at this trailer and think this is a desirable place to live.

Completely missed the point
To go back to my first post in this thread, the trailer isn't balanced enough. It weights in too much on the cool side of the world, especially with the framing and music.

Oct 30, 2017
I liked it, looks awesome, but yes, I do think if this had Rockstar's logo on it, it'd be 100% a Grand Theft Auto: Cyberpunk trailer. It even hints at a rags to riches journey of a punk to a dude with a sick sports car. That may not be what we get, but that's what this trailer feels like.

Rehevkor

Oct 31, 2017
Pessimism pervades throughout the whole trailer, in nearly every shot. I don't know what you mean at all.

Within the first ten seconds the narrator is talking about how it's the worst city in America and the vast majority of its inhabitants live below the poverty line. Are people watching the trailer muted?

gesicht

Oct 25, 2017
While the narration went to hope at the end I didn't get an upbeat vibe at all.

"My city has the highest poverty rate in the united states, inquality is rampant etc. despite all the shit we try to find the good thing etc....."

People getting kicked in the head seems entirely congruent to that.

While the narration went to hope at the end I didn't get an upbeat vibe at all.

"My city has the highest poverty rate in the united states, inquality is rampant etc. despite all the shit we try to find the good thing etc....."

People getting kicked in the head seems entirely congruent to that.

I think you need to listen to the tone. Also the conclusion to that salespitch, which is that everyone wants to live there anyway. It didn't sit right with me at all. I get that it might be on purpose but if it was, I don't see the point. The words convey that things suck. The tone and imagery say everything is awesome. So anyway, I didn't like it at all. I've gone from being interested to just blah over this game.

Oct 30, 2017
The people bitching about the visual design are probably the same ones who thought Diablo 3 was too "colorful" and worshiped the "Brown Era" of games on PS3/360 that were all monochrome gray or brown with huge amounts of bloom. They probably think the dystopian future should look more like Gears of War.

Here's a shocker: cyberpunk doesn't have a pre-defined look. It was created in novels, without pictures. It's open to wide and varied interpretation by the artists who create cyberpunk worlds in all mediums. All interpretations are equally valid, and CDPR's looks fantastic.
The thing is, Diablo 3 does look like crap compared to Diablo 1 and 2.

Cyberpunk 2077 also has a good look.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Within the first ten seconds the narrator is talking about how it's the worst city in American and the vast majority of its inhabitants live below the poverty line. Are people watching the trailer muted?
Feels like people are just shutting off their damn brains.

People changing their body parts out like car parts? That's... just cool sci fi, man! No societal or psychological implications there, and those body parts, they're lit blue and bright. So where's the dystopia? and so on and so forth

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus.

The entire trailer was a MASSIVE display of what happens when you mix the haves and the havenots to form the society of large city with pretty much all its services privatized. There's a brutal contrast between the rich areas and the poorest ones. Social divide and inequality are savage.

It's pessimistic as fuck.

Deleted member 25323

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe so many of you are livid that there's a sun in this game. Did you think that a next gen RPG wouldn't have a day/night/weather cycle just so you can feel like you're in Blade Runner 24/7?

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to not like the trailer. Another thing is to take a 30 second teaser that launched 5 years ago and create a narrative about it, or see this 2 minute trailer and assume that the game is similar to Sunset Overdrive because there's sunlight. That's more than crazy.

Was there really a Sunset Overdrive comparison, lol. This is getting out of hand.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is that not the fault of the trailer though? How can you say "people are disappointed with what they're seeing because they don't know what they're looking at"? To me that plainly means either the trailer didn't do its job, or people had expectations that were way off base, based on what's been said about the game up to this point. There are people who maybe saw a promo pic or two, only know "cyberpunk" because of Blade Runner (which to me makes sense, it's easily the most popular "cyberpunk" piece of media and it's a pretty niche thing as-is), and now have seen the trailer which IS a bit different than those things. And as far as the whole GTA comparison, the trailer DOES look like the trailer for GTA V. Not in terms of setting, but just in terms of the trailer itself. I think people would've had a different reaction had they shown some gameplay (RPG elements, questing, etc.). But if you were to slap "GTA: 2077" on this trailer instead of knowing it's for Cyberpunk 2077, would it really be that off-base?
Or Witcher 2077
Uncharted 2077
Hitman 2077
MGS 2077
Just cause 2077
Red dead redemption 2077
Max Payne 2077

There is many games it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.