Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
This is a massive release on PC and a lot of information will be flying around - it's absolutely going to need a dedicated performance thread.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nomad is the starter for me

The chance to get to know the world before we enter Night City is the most interesting start

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
There are users saying we should all just ignore each other. There were people in the spoiler thread yesterday saying they had Kyuuji on ignore. We can't make people have a conversation, but others can make it harder for us to do so. It can feel like we are fighting uphill. That's a big source of frustration for many of us.
Given the context of that linked post, I can't say I disagree. If there's a segment of users who wish to talk openly about the game then, are they not free to put whomever they please on ignore?

Trans representation is clearly important for many members here, but for some it's clear they'd rather talk about the game without getting involved in gender politics which is okay too!

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel the same. This game might be a real GTA sucessor. The hype is unreal right now, literally counting down the days I can play :D

Still no response from you marzoo in terms to my repeatedly asking you if you understand a little why people would fell irked by your thread. About why "Game X gets this" contextually is a worthless argument, no response? We heard plenty about how aggrieved you were to be "insulted" and begged others to understand your feelings and to understand why you would feel irritated. And yet no attempt to respond to the trans members who engaged you. Still not read the CDPR Transphobia thread aside from the last page?

Shameful response of burying your head in the sand. That you were insulted was a shame but as a descriptor of quality I would challenge anyone to not find it accurate. Your thread was low effort, it contained little of substance and acted purely to grease the wheels of hype, had the mods deigned to keep it open a second longer I would have said that to your "face", so I do so now here.

That you came here and complained before ignoring everyone who explained why context matters, that you made no effort to read Kyuuji's excellent thread and that you made no effort at empathy while begging others do for you is dreadful.
Your posts that I have witnessed here lack quality, compassion wit and empathy. You are part of the reason why the disenfranchised feel as they do, your responses feed the feeling that people do not care, would rather we did not exist did not "mess up their games with politics". Your responses are why people are so "sensitive", why we must constantly fight uphill without hope of help from others. You sadden me with your callousness. For shame, and shame your silence, it does you a disservice and makes you appear cowardly.

Once again to those with empathy, a sense of responsibility and patience I thank you. Personally every voice like yours helps strengthen me. I am also a little sorry you can't just "enjoy" your excitement but I am also glad the majority accept the disturbance, after all we are not complaining over which version is "better" or which console is "worse" here.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
There are users saying we should all just ignore each other. There were people in the spoiler thread yesterday saying they had Kyuuji on ignore. We can't make people have a conversation, but others can make it harder for us to do so. It can feel like we are fighting uphill. That's a big source of frustration for many of us.
The only people i think should ignore people are the ones who have no intention of listening and are just shitting up the thread with their "well waht about this tho" posts. Its not about silencing voices but rather if you don't have the ability to listen to people then do us all a favor and just ignore and stop acting like you are here to "just have conversations". People already made up their minds on where they stand on the issue so any further repeating of that stance does not lead to healthy conversation IMO but rather just nasty back and forths before someone gets banned for being an idiot.

It is simply a waste of time and space at that point. AND thus the best course of action is to simply ignore it.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone played Deus Ex:MD in anticipation?
Have it in my libraey for a while and will give it a shot in the next days. Havent played any Cyperpunk games so the setting will be interessting

That's a great idea. It would make Cyberpunk 2077 feel a decade(/s?) ahead in comparison, lol.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Given the context of that linked post, I can't say I disagree. If there's a segment of users who wish to talk openly about the game then, are they not free to put whomever they please on ignore?

Trans representation is clearly important for many members here, but for some it's clear they'd rather talk about the game without getting involved in gender politics which is okay too!
Because one side benefits drastically from this. Trans users are having to fight to be heard. If everyone just ignores the other side, who do you think is more adversely affected? The recommendation seems fine on the surface until you realize that the post tends towards the unfortunate undertones. Obviously Mik doesn't share that idea of ignoring everyone and I was mistaken after reading that last post, but it is a notion I can't support.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Because one side benefits drastically from this. Trans users are having to fight to be heard. If everyone just ignores the other side, who do you think is more adversely affected? The recommendation seems fine on the surface until you realize that the post tends towards the 'I wish the issue would just go away'.
No one here is not listening to the trans users on their stance here. Its been a major talking point in every CP77 thread.

However, you cannot force people to engage in things they don't want to engage in. I suspect a lot of people don't engage because they are afraid to get banned or simply aren't knowledgeable enough to speak on it. Then you got the idiots who truly don't care and simply choose to show their ass about it...and then threads take two or 3 pages dunking on them as they either double down or fail to back track before getting banned. And that is not great to wade through.

Also People need to realize that some are simply here to get news on games they are interested in. Thus the best way to do so was via creating new threads for new news so said news isn't burryed in a mega thread. And thus if the alternative is to go back to the mega threads then yeah you are going to have people seemingly ignoring certain topics because that's what they are there for.

tldr; people are listening and are very aware of the issues brought up; not sure what else you can ask of people beyond that. Less threads? Sure. But then people end up sniping at people simply going on to post in the mega threads anyway. So what else can be done then? And as such ignore is the best way to prevent threads from being shit shows IMO.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Some of the previews look amazing and some look bad to me. I'm so confused lol. Like that most recent gameplay looked perfect but I didn't like most of the recent previews before that. I know the games gonna be great but the marketing is all over the place for me haha
I wonder if sexuality will be handled better than the horny teenager mode it was locked into for TW3
No

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I think the main difference between the problems with CDPR and the other companies that keep getting brought up (Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Nintendo, etc.) is that the primary issues with those latter companies are labor related - crunch, slave labor, etc. Those are issues that we should 100% talk about and pressure them to stop, but exposure to the end products is not inherently exposure to said unethical business decisions, and I would even go as far as to argue that purchasing said games is not an intrinsic approval of said practices. Our individual consumer power is limited. We can talk about the company and talk about the games separately, allowing the "serious" talk to be divorced from the blind hype.

You can't do that with Cyberpunk. The transphobia is built into the game and the marketing from the very start. CDPR's crunch is bad, but you'll notice that it's not a reason often brought for why their threads should be banned. We can encourage CDPR developers to unionize and call management out on the shitty job their doing, but choosing to not buy the game is not going to materially help the developers being crunched in any way. On the other hand, helping to hype up Cyberpunk 2077 here on Resetera is very likely going to expose a lot more people to harmful transphobic stereotypes that will go on to hurt trans people. I think consuming the product makes an actual difference here, as you're supporting the final result, not the practices used to make it. We have the power to help reduce the harm the game could do.

That's why Cyberpunk threads are getting more ire than Sony threads or whatever. It's not about which is worse, it's about which one we have the power to influence.

That isn't to say that you're not allowed to be hyped about or enjoy the game - Cyberpunk can't be disconnected from its transphobia, but it's not 100% transphobia - but everyone should accept that the representation discussion is inherent to any talks about the game, it's not going anywhere, and it's totally consistent with their policies for mods to limit the number of threads about the game. Y'all can deal with tech talk overlapping with trailer talk, or make use of the built in spoiler tagging for leaks. It's not that hard, and it's a small price to pay for a good cause.

Last edited:

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Because one side benefits drastically from this. Trans users are having to fight to be heard. If everyone just ignores the other side, who do you think is more adversely affected? The recommendation seems fine on the surface until you realize that the post tends towards the unfortunate undertones. Obviously Mik doesn't share that idea of ignoring everyone and I was mistaken after reading that last post, but it is a notion I can't support.
Personally, I can't see any winners emerging from any of this. You've got both sides coming out of this miserable and at each others' throats over perceived slights against one another. Those who wish to talk about the game and not the issues surrounding it upset by supposed derails. And as you've suggested the trans community and members coming out of this hard done by and feeling as though their voices aren't being heard.

Those posters who would put people on ignore, well trans voices would never reach those people anyway.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
No one here is not listening to the trans users on their stance here. Its been a major talking point in every CP77 thread.

However, you cannot force people to engage in things they don't want to engage in. I suspect a lot of people don't engage because they are afraid to get banned or simply aren't knowledgeable enough to speak on it. Then you got the idiots who truly don't care and simply choose to show their ass about it...and then threads take two or 3 pages dunking on them as they either double down or fail to back track before getting banned. And that is not great to wade through.

Also People need to realize that some are simply here to get news on games they are interested in. Thus the best way to do so was via creating new threads for new news so said news isn't burryed in a mega thread. And thus if the alternative is to go back to the mega threads then yeah you are going to have people seemingly ignoring certain topics because that's what they are there for.

tldr; people are listening and are very aware of the issues brought up; not sure what else you can ask of people beyond that. Less threads? Sure. But then people end up sniping at people simply going on to post in the mega threads anyway. So what else can be done then? And as such ignore is the best way to prevent threads from being shit shows IMO.
I agree with this post, you've put it much more eloquently than I ever could.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I think the main difference between the problems with CDPR and the other companies that keep getting brought up (Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Nintendo, etc.) is that the primary issues with those latter companies are labor related - crunch, slave labor, etc. Those are issues that we should 100% talk about and pressure them to stop, but exposure to the end products is not inherently exposure to said unethical business decisions, and I would even go as far as to argue that purchasing said games is not an intrinsic approval of said practices. Our individual consumer power is limited. We can talk about the company and talk about the games separately, allowing the "serious" talk to be divorced from the blind hype.

You can't do that with Cyberpunk. The transphobia is built into the game and the marketing from the very start. CDPR's crunch is bad, but you'll notice that it's not a reason often brought for why their threads should be banned. We can encourage CDPR developers to unionize and call management out on the shitty job their doing, but choosing to not buy the game is not going to materially help the developers being crunched in any way. On the other hand, helping to hype up Cyberpunk 2077 here on Resetera is very likely going to expose a lot more people to harmful transphobic stereotypes that will go on to hurt trans people. I think consuming the product makes an actual difference here, as you're supporting the final result, not the practices used to make it. We have the power to help reduce the harm they game could do.

That's why Cyberpunk threads are getting more ire than Sony threads or whatever. It's not about which is worse, it's about which one we have the power to influence.

That isn't to say that you're not allowed to be hyped about or enjoy the game - Cyberpunk can't be disconnected from its transphobia, but it's not 100% transphobia - but everyone should accept that the representation discussion is inherent to any talks about the game, it's not going anywhere, and it's totally consistent with their policies for mods to limit the number of threads about the game. Y'all can deal with tech talk overlapping with trailer talk, or make use of the built in spoiler tagging for leaks. It's not that hard, and it's a small price to pay for a good cause.

Are you really trying to argue that consuming products produced by slave and/or child labor is a-okay because somehow it doesn't taint end product or company using said slave and/or child labor because... reasons? Bordering on defending said practices.

I don't even... maybe lets not start to bend over backwards to justify why it's cool that PlayStation 5's are put together by enslaved ethical minority in China.

João

Nov 21, 2020
I've only pre-ordered 2 games all my life. Grand theft Auto V for the ps3 and Cyberpunk, hopefully I can relive those first few moments of pure joy again.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I've been reading about the companions 'in your head' but nothing regarding actual npc companions. Are there any to recruit? Humans, pets, etc? Also along those lines, any group mechanic where you are given some manner of control over friendly gang members (or similar) in combat?

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020

Having people who listen not constantly bring up other issues in an attempt to ask why we are choosing this one in particular would be a start.

We don't have the answers either, but it is quite apparent to everyone that we are hurting, so when we are met with that instead of having people try to figure out why we are so upset, it feels like shit.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Are you really trying to argue that consuming products produced by slave and/or child labor is a-okay because somehow it doesn't taint end product or company using said slave and/or child labor because... reasons? Bordering on defending said practices.

I don't even... maybe lets not start to bend over backwards to justify why it's cool that PlayStation 5's are put together by enslaved ethical minority in China.

Not at all what I'm saying. I explicitally said in my post that it's not about "who's worse" but "what do we have the power to change."

There's a difference between problematic art and problematic business practices. I think Era, as an entity, has much more of an influence over the former than the latter. There's a distinction between the transphobia issue and the slave labor issue, which is why I think a lot of the whataboutism isn't actually relevant, but just a deflection from the discussion. I'm not really sure how I can say that more clearly.

We need stronger laws protecting laborers all over the world. Slave labor is an atrocity. No company should support it. Just to clear up any confusion.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I've been reading about the companions 'in your head' but nothing regarding actual npc companions. Are there any to recruit? Humans, pets, etc? Also along those lines, any group mechanic where you are given some manner of control over friendly gang members (or similar) in combat?

Jackie is your "partner if crime". There is other allies like Judy, Meredith, T-Bug, Victor etc., but we don't know if they are true allies or will their allegiances shift based on their personal needs.

We can't hire people to follow us around as companions / support.

We don't know if there is "Able to command groups" type stuff, but we do know that V wont be able to join any gangs or corporations.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Jackie is your "partner if crime". There is other allies like Judy, Meredith, T-Bug, Victor etc., but we don't know if they are true allies or will their allegiances shift based on their personal needs.

We can't hire people to follow us around as companions / support.

We don't know if there is "Able to command groups" type stuff, but we do know that V wont be able to join any gangs or corporations.

we also know that some npcs will go with you on quests and that some of them
are going to visit you in your apartment

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Is y'all really complaining about not being able to post more hype threads for the biggest game of the decade as if you're being persecuted? Get a grip, this thread is updated regularly and is almost always consistently on the first page.

Chill.

Oct 28, 2019
Whats kinda stuff is in the lore book???

pageizkfv.jpg

Nothing too in-depth and you could probably get the same gist by watching a couple of YouTube clips but it's nice to read and has some nice artwork in it. Really helps you get a basic understanding of the world of Cyberpunk 2077.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
The biggest problem that I honestly see with the current situation, being 100 with you, is that we were told this agreement was to provide a space for our trans users to discuss the game and issues with it in exchange for letting the hyped people still have their discussion as well. But it is leading into a cycle.

We have users actively encouraging people to ignore trans voices in this thread so the conversation can move on. This forces us to be more forceful and try to push for the conversation— soon leading to more people just ignoring us because they view us as disrupters.

The current rule set is honestly fine, but putting people who aren't trolling on ignore just because a person doesn't agree with them is definitely harmful to the promised discussion. It feels like a way for people on one side to have their cake and eat it too, as it were.

What have I got to do with it? I am saying it's a difficult balancing act for the Mods. Some people want a full ban but a full ban will be a difficult one because they would also have to ban many other companies which will drive people away from the site etc.

I am a black man in the tech industry I fully understand the battle and making noise I am 100% with everyone on that. I'm just discussing the difficulty the mods have. Depending on what precedence they decide to take forward.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Cyberpunk Red books are now getting shipped.

It has lore which connects to Cyberpunk 2077. You might be interested in reading it even if you are not planning to play the TTRPG.

The art looks fantastic.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would agree with you but soon it will only get worse. There will be graphics comparison between platforms, new information, reviews, pc performance, screenshots which would typically be separate threads. I just think that if there is only 2 threads then this will become unreadable in a moment.

Yeah, given how big a release this is I expect that front page to have several competing threads that the moderators will need to consolidate. General OT thread, PC and console performance threads, and reviews thread at the very least.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Lots of fantastic concept art from the city, it talks about the history of night city. The book has even some fake ads to make it feel like you are reading a real book about night city.
pageizkfv.jpg

Nothing too in-depth and you could probably get the same gist by watching a couple of YouTube clips but it's nice to read and has some nice artwork in it. Really helps you get a basic understanding of the world of Cyberpunk 2077.
Wow. Looks and sounds cool

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is y'all really complaining about not being able to post more hype threads for the biggest game of the decade as if you're being persecuted? Get a grip, this thread is updated regularly and is almost always consistently on the first page.

Chill.
No one is talking about posting more hype threads. There was a leak with spoilers that people wanted to discuss separately but were told by the mods to just silo it in here, where users don't want to see leaks or spoilers.

And in terms of this thread, just look at the last 3 pages, its nothing but arguing and attacks. How can people discuss the game like that? If this is the intention of the mods, then maybe we should just ban all CDPR talk. Otherwise they need to outline a clear ruleset or its just going to get worst as the game comes out with DF threads, PC Performance threads, etc ,etc

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow

Chill.
It's one of the biggest games this generation. Cyberpunk 2077 release is a goddamn EVENT. Literally. And all new information is hidden in this megathread. It's not comfortable to go here for new news. Somehow "new news = new thread" is not allowed for CP2077 but allowed for everything else.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
What have I got to do with it? I am saying it's a difficult balancing act for the Mods. Some people want a full ban but a full ban will be a difficult one because they would also have to ban many other companies which will drive people away from the site etc.

I am a black man in the tech industry I fully understand the battle and making noise I am 100% with everyone on that. I'm just discussing the difficulty the mods have. Depending on what precedence they decide to take forward.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying it was you, that was just me having a discussion along the lines we had going. You had mentioned that it was difficult to balance, so I was saying from my point of view why I felt the balancing was difficult.

I can understand tensions get high in this thread, and apologize if it came off that way. But if you reread it, it should be pretty clear I was just having discussion there haha.

I also empathize with the mods. But although it is tough trying to find a good balance, there has to be one that is better for all involved.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
No one is talking about posting more hype threads. There was a leak with spoilers that people wanted to discuss separately but were told by the mods to just silo it in here, where users don't want to see leaks or spoilers.

And in terms of this thread, just look at the last 3 pages, its nothing but arguing and attacks. How can people discuss the game like that? If this is the intention of the mods, then maybe we should just ban all CDPR talk. Otherwise they need to outline a clear ruleset or its just going to get worst as the game comes out with DF threads, PC Performance threads, etc ,etc
A separate spoiler thread is up and running now so the OT shouldn't see any spoilers. Aside from that we can still discuss the game in this thread but people are also allowed to voice their concerns about the LGBT issues surrounding the game. In this way people who are interested in the game are also aware of CDPR's transphobic actions. I think that's a fair compromise.

If there is some actual newsworthy information I assume you'll get a new thread. But hype threads about trailer views or how much people are looking forward to this game don't really fall into that category and are a bit tone deaf in the current climate.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the biggest games this generation. Cyberpunk 2077 release is a goddamn EVENT. Literally. And all new information is hidden in this megathread. It's not comfortable to go here for new news. Somehow "new news = new thread" is not allowed for CP2077 but allowed for everything else.
You know exactly why. There's a thread stickied that you should really look at if you truly haven't figured it out.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
That's the big thing I was getting at. You can't throw the digital foundry comparisons and PC trouble shooting and Official News into one OT with tens of thousands of oats already. This containment idea works in pre release but eventually the game is gonna come out and it's gonna be everywhere. Now what?

It has lore which connects to Cyberpunk 2077. You might be interested in reading it even if you are not planning to play the TTRPG.

The art looks fantastic.

If you don't need the physical version, Humble has right now a huge collection of pdfs of the trpg https://www.humblebundle.com/books/cyberpunk-r-talsorian-books

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Can't believe we are just over two weeks till this releases. Mad. My most antiicpated game in years, I have a week booked off work to play it :)

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017

Others have said this but honestly the situation with Cyberpunk really illustrates just how much a big release clogs up the front couple of pages for a while. It would be nice if an unintended consequence is that these types of threads to tear down specific reporting on minutae are pared down considerably for all games going forward. (Why does it make sense to have a separate thread for PC performance and DF videos which ostensibly deal with performance? Why do we have threads that are like ooh there are a lot of views on Youtube for this trailer?
Jettison review threads entirely :O
)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

The leak thread is the only thing I'll agree with since it is spoiler territory and deserves its own thread, but it also occurred during Trans Remembrance Week and Day. So...

You know why, don't play dumb.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The art looks fantastic.

Is this the $60 book(?) from this link?

Cyberpunk RED

Welcome to the Time of the Red, Choomba! The Megacorporations spent decades wrecking everything and in the aftermath of their last War, everyone has to fend for themselves. But that’s just fine. You can handle it. After all, in a world of vicious boostergangs, rampaging cyborgs, corporate...

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Others have said this but honestly the situation with Cyberpunk really illustrates just how much a big release clogs up the front couple of pages for a while. It would be nice if an unintended consequence is that these types of threads to tear down specific reporting on minutae are pared down considerably for all games going forward. (Why does it make sense to have a separate thread for PC performance and DF videos which ostensibly deal with performance? Why do we have threads that are like ooh there are a lot of views on Youtube for this trailer?
Jettison review threads entirely :O
)
Digital Foundry and PC performance are two totally different things. One is discussion concerning a video/article about objective technical specs about the game on various platforms(mainly consoles which have locked in specs that PC obviously does not), and the other is trouble shooting for a major, obviously graphics intensive game on your own personal computer. You can't just throw all those together, they serve two different purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.