• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Here's the thing: Nobody will hate you for like this game (or they shouldn't). But you should be able to recognize the problems, that's all.
Pretty much. I had a much more lengthy response a few pages back cutting into why a chunk of the frustration is in wishing I could be as excited and amped about the game as most find themselves here lol.
I'll offer a rare counterbalance in a moment of tired frustration. A portion of it really is in wishing I could be as pogged about everything as others here. Like the hype when the reveal hit. It's hard to just shrug off the knowledge of how media representation affects us though, and what real-world impacts that results in. It's not cute, it's not edgy. It's harmful.

That's why I'm sincere when I mean both the game and the company would be better off without it; I genuinely mean it and wish it were the case. I resent having to see shit like trans-related drinks labelled poison, people mocking our bodies, relating them to beasts and the like, because it just feels so damn unnecessary. When removed from the game - even without the depth most are hoping for - there's a lot on the surface that looks decent. So I really do hope there is that depth around the themes that it's choosing to touch on, particularly those close to home. I just have little cause to believe it will. Having a game that has the scope to actually go into things on that level feels a loss when it's passed by, even moreso when it veers in the opposite direction toward mockery and derision.

Even with the potential to play without paying a dime it's hard to muster any sense of hype. I think there could be a lot to go into and write about over it, and part of me is interested to; especially around such a notable release and one that's already veered into the negative. The other part though, the majority, just wishes I didn't have to. That it was untwined from the unnecessary crap CDPR chose to bring to the table with it.

So believe me, I do appreciate why people are hyped. I just also wish more would understand that it's as a result of the actions of CDPR that not everyone can be, despite having wanted, or wanting, to be. Which sucks.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Oh for god sake!

EoQ0xKUXUAIppg2

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't know. I find that always a overreaction that it influences performance if a dev decides if that's the reason.

Increasing FOV increases polygon count that has to rendered as more stuff is on the screen at any given time, it does have performance impact.

Some games have FOV slider as development point for console version so they design with that in mind to have enough overhead, but most don't do that. At least not yet.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my gameplay impressions of the game!

So these are my thoughts and impressions on cyberpunk 2077 after having played the game for roughly 30 minutes and going through multiple gameplay sequences and tutorial sequences. This was played on the Xbox One X.

Right away, you are introduced to the beautiful world of Night City, and you are introduced to the environment of Cyberpunk and the aesthetic of it all. The first thing that you do is obviously set up your character, and I think the character creation has a very robust amount of options to choose from. What I don't enjoy about the character creation is that there is a Fallout-esque SPECIAL system where you can put points into different categories of characteristics for your character, including intelligence and coolness. The problem is that you cannot max out two or three of the characteristics for your character like you could in Fallout. You're very limited in what attributes you can invest in.

At the moment I'm unsure if the if the pronouns and how your character is addressed based on the gender that you choose has been fixed as my character was just a male character with a male voice that I didn't put much thought into.

After you create your character, you are introduced to this bar called The Coyote, and this is where you begin to start your journey. Probably the first thing that I noticed right off the bat was that the lighting of the game is incredible. It is so vivid and really captures that look and feel of what's cyberpunk entails as an aesthetic. One of the very first things that it reminded me of was how it's very reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop's aesthetic of what the future might look like, where it feels like it's the 90s but with advanced technology in areas that you don't really expect, which makes the dystopian feel more grounded and realistic.

One of the things that I noticed immediately is that the game glitches a lot. There's a lot of texture pop in, and it seems like that all the "cinematics," are actually just jump cuts in between in-game animated scenarios, so as a result, you notice a lot of texture issues, frame drops, and animation weirdness that takes you out of the immersion. When I say a lot, I mean a lot. It's really upfront.

Gameplay wise, it feels clunky. The shooting is good, the movement is ok, but other than that, it honestly doesn't feel as fluid as I thought it would. One the main issues I'm already having is that the UI often feels really cluttered with information. In one of the tutorial sequences, you have like 5 different windows of information presented to you at once.

On Xbox, the select button is X. I fucking hate this. It's really dumb. Just wanted to highlight that.

I'll be playing more, and hopefully will finish the game before it actually releases. I'll give my full thoughts after that.

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
I'll offer a rare counterbalance in a moment of tired frustration. A portion of it really is in wishing I could be as pogged about everything as others here. Like the hype when the reveal hit. It's hard to just shrug off the knowledge of how media representation affects us though, and what real-world impacts that results in. It's not cute, it's not edgy. It's harmful.

That's why I'm sincere when I mean both the game and the company would be better off without it; I genuinely mean it and wish it were the case. I resent having to see shit like trans-related drinks labelled poison, people mocking our bodies, relating them to beasts and the like, because it just feels so damn unnecessary. When removed from the game - even without the depth most are hoping for - there's a lot on the surface that looks decent. So I really do hope there is that depth around the themes that it's choosing to touch on, particularly those close to home. I just have little cause to believe it will. Having a game that has the scope to actually go into things on that level feels a loss when it's passed by, even moreso when it veers in the opposite direction toward mockery and derision.

Even with the potential to play without paying a dime it's hard to muster any sense of hype. I think there could be a lot to go into and write about over it, and part of me is interested to; especially around such a notable release and one that's already veered into the negative. The other part though, the majority, just wishes I didn't have to. That it was untwined from the unnecessary crap CDPR chose to bring to the table with it.

So believe me, I do appreciate why people are hyped. I just also wish more would understand that it's as a result of the actions of CDPR that not everyone can be, despite having wanted, or wanting, to be. Which sucks.

Completely. Some (all?) of my favourite games I have bones to pick with in some way, shape or form. There's no benefit in masking them. Ultimately I'd hope that come a future iteration they were addressed in each case, so we could end up with something even better.
Well said, Couldn't put it better myself. You can enjoy a game and also disagree with the messages/content that are being portrayed through the game. Happens all the time. No game is immune to criticism, not even one as hyped as this one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Increasing FOV increases polygon count that has to rendered as more stuff is on the screen at any given time, it does have performance impact.

Some games have FOV slider as development point for console version so they design with that in mind to have enough overhead, but most don't do that. At least not yet.
See my post above. I played alot of games with fov slider on consoles. And it's not like a game with 90 fov suddenly has big drops in the 20 fps or so. Saw a test with the latest Cod also on console. Tested default fov and 120 fov. And the
Fps was negligible. Like under 1% difference. Devs should give atleast a option in first person games nowadays. Even max 90 would already help.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017

So these are my thoughts and impressions on cyberpunk 2077 after having played the game for roughly 30 minutes and going through multiple gameplay sequences and tutorial sequences. This was played on the Xbox One X.

Right away, you are introduced to the beautiful world of Night City, and you are introduced to the environment of Cyberpunk and the aesthetic of it all. The first thing that you do is obviously set up your character, and I think the character creation has a very robust amount of options to choose from. What I don't enjoy about the character creation is that there is a Fallout-esque SPECIAL system where you can put points into different categories of characteristics for your character, including intelligence and coolness. The problem is that you cannot max out two or three of the characteristics for your character like you could in Fallout. You're very limited in what attributes you can invest in.

At the moment I'm unsure if the if the pronouns and how your character is addressed based on the gender that you choose has been fixed as my character was just a male character with a male voice that I didn't put much thought into.

After you create your character, you are introduced to this bar called The Coyote, and this is where you begin to start your journey. Probably the first thing that I noticed right off the bat was that the lighting of the game is incredible. It is so vivid and really captures that look and feel of what's cyberpunk entails as an aesthetic. One of the very first things that it reminded me of was how it's very reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop's aesthetic of what the future might look like, where it feels like it's the 90s but with advanced technology in areas that you don't really expect, which makes the dystopian feel more grounded and realistic.

One of the things that I noticed immediately is that the game glitches a lot. There's a lot of texture pop in, and it seems like that all the "cinematics," are actually just jump cuts in between in-game animated scenarios, so as a result, you notice a lot of texture issues, frame drops, and animation weirdness that takes you out of the immersion. When I say a lot, I mean a lot. It's really upfront.

Gameplay wise, it feels clunky. The shooting is good, the movement is ok, but other than that, it honestly doesn't feel as fluid as I thought it would. One the main issues I'm already having is that the UI often feels really cluttered with information. In one of the tutorial sequences, you have like 5 different windows of information presented to you at once.

On Xbox, the select button is X. I fucking hate this. It's really dumb. Just wanted to highlight that.

I'll be playing more, and hopefully will finish the game before it actually releases. I'll give my full thoughts after that.
So clunky and full of glitches? Doesn't sound too positive from you then...

Oct 28, 2017

Why would you play without the patch?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

Hell yeah, thanks man. Eager to hear more of your impressions over the next week.

The UI stuff is definitely something I'm a little worried about. The IGN preview mentioned it was incredibly busy and that the quest log in particular was not great.

That mention of Cowboy Bebop is making me want to go Nomad instead of Corpo now though lol

edit: sounds like you went Street Kid, not Nomad.

Last edited:

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

What did you pick? Street Kid? Nomad? Corpo?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really sorry to see you and the rest of the trans community let down by CDPR. They should've done better. It sucks. I've been holding out thin, vain hope that they'd improve the parts of the game that weaken it most for the trans community, but I don't have faith they'll do it, on launch or any time after. It's deeply dissatisfying. Thank you for continuing to post about it

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on the fence to buy early and I preordered the digital copy over 14 days ago....
Anyone know if ms will approve the refund since it isn't out yet or SOL because over 14 days? That'll
Help my decision ha

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I still don't understand how we don't have a full detailed video of the character creator....

Mediking Can you make one, please?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the write up! I'll buy you coffee to tell me about all of the skills available.. consider it!

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the impressions. I'm holding off on getting this until I see reviews/impressions because I really didn't like the combat/controls of Witcher 3. Seeing you talking about the gameplay feeling clunky gives me pause.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I still don't understand how we don't have a full detailed video of the character creator....

Mediking Can you make one, please?

Hey, I know I'm the director of FFXVII but I don't got 2077 lol I can't even make a video about the character creator. I ain't got the game. Didja mean to tag someone else or didja think I had the game?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I think people need to prepare themself for this game to be pretty clunky and janky when it releases. The Witcher 3 was kind of a UI/QoL mess when it came out on top of the controls being pretty weird. The Witcher 2 was even worse on release and the first one was just lol. The day 1 Cyberpunk 2077 will absolutely be the worst version of the game as CDPR will improve not only the technical stuff but the gameplay and UI stuff as they get feedback. It is just how all their games have worked.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Hey, I know I'm the director of FFXVII but I don't got 2077 lol I can't even make a video about the character creator. I ain't got the game. Didja mean to tag someone else or didja think I had the game?

Omg lol oops.

Can you make the video?

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I am hoping that it plays at least as good as human revolution. Not even Mankind Divided, I will settle for serviceable.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
The person from IGN who played it for 16 hours did say the shooting gets better as you make progress and get better weapons/unlock new skills.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The person from IGN who played it for 16 hours did say the shooting gets better as you make progress and get better weapons/unlock new skills.

I guess it is an RPG, after all. Kinda makes sense it would feel pretty bad in the beginning. It'll be a bit jarring going from, say, Destiny 2 or Doom to Cyberpunk but I'm sure it'll be okay. Or at the very least inoffensive, like Witcher 3's combat.

thechicco96

Apr 17, 2018

In what sense it feels clunky? Interactions? Movement? Animations?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The controls feel really weird. It feels like there needs to be more buttons or more intuitive ways to control certain aspects, like hacking.
but how about the actual moving and aiming? does it feel laggy or sluggish at all like fallout or is it fairly responsive? if its to fps what witcher was to action i am 100% ok with that

Status
Not open for further replies.