• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all of these tweets about people discovering Mouse and Keyboard support for various next gen console games...

Any chance that's happening with this?

I've never really played a game with M/KB, but I'd be willing to give it a shot with something like this.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's two different articles. I never , not once, said the one pertaining asian culture was badly researched. I couldn't if i would. The only time i spoke about something showing lack of knowledge was in terms of CP inner lore.
Yeah, I've reread the article twice now and there are a couple of things I'm surprised that she took offense to. Especially when the music is basically a remix using japanese folk music as samples, the usage of katanas in Cyberpunk and of course, about the color red.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
It's two different articles. I never , not once, said the one pertaining asian culture was badly researched. I couldn't if i would. The only time i spoke about not being knowledgeable was in terms of CP inner lore.

Right, but the thing you highlighted as poorly researched about the Polygon article was their comment about the Tyger Claws using Katanas, which linked directly back to the Kotaku article we're discussing. They're related, the Polygon article is what kicked off the whole discussion.

I also don't think the article in question really showcased any major gaps in Cyberpunk knowledge, they just don't think the lore is justification for poor representation (if it exists - I don't really have strong feelings on the Tyger Claw gang until I see more) on its own.

Oct 14, 2019
Man, this OT is not fun reading through. Why can't you just let people hype up themselves for a game they are looking for? People are aware of the issue the game has, but why you gotta constantly remind them of it? We will never have a OT about this game, if every second post is like "Fuck CDPR" and the next one is "this Game is amazing". Like cmon, this will always end up in the mess we have right now. Either ban the talk about CP2077 on this forum entirely or let people actually get excited for a game and let them talk about it (with raising awareness for the issues ofc, which already has been done more than often).

I don't think this post has been called out enough for being straight trash.

When you're posing questions about 'Why can't you just leave it be?' try and put those same thoughts and concerns to actual individuals and communities that are being constantly attacked.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are so reluctant on having a paragraph supporting the trans community on the OT. The purpose is exactly to educate people on the matter. It's extremely disappointing that Black Chamber has avoided a question that wasn't "will everyone be welcomed in the game's OT" but instead "will you include a paragraph about the trans issues and include a supportive message in it?"

It's such a simple thing to answer. Not answering it is already a bad look, but it's a worse one to post the OT next week without anything and just say that everyone is 💯 welcome. Not everyone is welcome the moment you don't want to say you'll include support for the trans community in your OT. You're already making some people in the trans community feel not welcomed and saying they won't participate in the OT. How is that welcoming everyone?

Backers

Apr 10, 2018
Bordeaux, France
There is a pinned topic for the company problems tho, couldn't we separate the two subjects with a reminder to the pinned one on each pages ?
Ofc we need to talk about all the problems about CDPR, but I also understand the people who just want to come here to read previews/infos of the game. It doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand it.
And don't call me out for being I don't know what, I'm just giving out an idea.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Seeing all of these tweets about people discovering Mouse and Keyboard support for various next gen console games...

Any chance that's happening with this?

I've never really played a game with M/KB, but I'd be willing to give it a shot with something like this.
Console implementation of M+KB support is typically limited to competetive multiplayer games and some PC ports of strategy/simulation titles.

I wouldn't hold your breath for it here ..

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
this whole episode reminds me of the recent "do black lives matter?" - "ALL lives matter" horseshit. 💯

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Everill and KillLaCam are still interested about the whole Katana thing:

The Link Everill posted made me do a deep dive into the thing, after doing some research i ended up in a one hour long group conference with these people:
They have a pretty big community on discord and we had a very nice conversation.

The short of it is: no, bringing a katana to a gunfight is not racist in the least and saying so is wrong.

The slightly longer version is: "A katana in that context is a cultural identifier, for it to be considered racist or racially stereotyped in a bad way it would need to come with a lot of extra baggage and it would have to be very specifically contextualized in a racist way. The fact of bringing a Katana to a cyber-futuristic gun fight doesn't signify that the person is stupid, but rather that he/she can hold their own even with seemingly impossible odds. To be considered racially charged it would have to be in the context of showing or mocking how clearly stupid this person is by making that choice, in the context of the narrative itself. Even then it would need extra baggage in a very spiecific way."

Anyway, they got interested in this whole thing and at the end of the group call they were talking about the possibility of making a Cyberpunk dedicated episode of their podcast and such, so if anyone is interested i guess give them a follow ^_^

Peace.

P.S. If there are asianera members in this thread i'd love for them to chime in with their takes on this thing, or to shoot me a PVT.

It's cool that you've now bothered multiple marginalized groups on this site, going to the point of intruding on AsianEra with these questions, because you just can't fucking take this article talking about transphobia and its offhand mention that racism is racist. Love how you couldn't get over how much this other trans woman talked about her issues and continue to attack her writing because she didn't do it as acceptably to you as a user did here, and continue to talk over other trans women here regardless.

It's real fucking gross behavior, dude. Just move on.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't know why people are so reluctant on having a paragraph supporting the trans community on the OT. The purpose is exactly to educate people on the matter. It's extremely disappointing that Black Chamber has avoided a question that wasn't "will everyone be welcomed in the game's OT" but instead "will you include a paragraph about the trans issues and include a supportive message in it?"

It's such a simple thing to answer. Not answering it is already a bad look, but it's a worse one to post the OT next week without anything and just say that everyone is 💯 welcome. Not everyone is welcome the moment you don't want to say you'll include support for the trans community in your OT. You're already making some people in the trans community feel not welcomed and saying they won't participate in the OT. How is that welcoming everyone?
90% of this thread is nothing but ignoring the trans community and the fuckery of CDPR, this won't change with a "everyone is welcome" in the OP lol. "Everyone is welcome" should be a fucking implicitness in every thread here, the fact alone that this is even a contested decision as a mention in an OP is basically saying it all.

Golgotterath

Nov 21, 2020
Any other impressions from people who have played for a significant amount of time? Looking for thoughts on how the mechanics feel after some time in the game.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the three different starting choices have completely different main quests or do they only start off differently in the beginning?

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl

Agreed and as a new member who actually didn't know about these disgusting things prior to joining. The pinned thread and the staff communication highlighted these issues to me. Opened my dumb eyes to a lot of things. So anything else that signal boosts these to others is exactly what needs to happen. Thanks
Kyuuji for that thread and all the others who keep beating the drum.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Right, but the thing you highlighted as poorly researched about the Polygon article was their comment about the Tyger Claws using Katanas, which linked directly back to the Kotaku article we're discussing. They're related, the Polygon article is what kicked off the whole discussion.

I'm starting to think that what i want to say, doesn't translate well when i type, i'll try again:
i'm NOT saying that the REPRESENTATION matters were badly researched, i'm not asian i leave that side of the discourse to them.
What i said is that if you - the writer - are baffled by them wielding Katanas while everyone else has guns (which already is not true btw...bladed weapons exist everywere in the lore), and furthermore you question how in the hell they would win, it shows pretty clearly how unfamiliar and not researched you are on the lore.

To expand on that, the writer also mentioned the Haitian gang while hinting at it being a bad racial stereotype, and again shows that she doesn't know the lore since it's a story of cultural reappropriation. Good or bad, addressing it would have granted more credibility.

I hope it's superclear now, because i really don't know how else i can rephrase it XD

they just don't think the lore is justification for poor representation (if it exists - I don't really have strong feelings on the Tyger Claw gang until I see more) on its own.

This, meaning: "does lore justify representation" is a whole different topic i feel, one that might be worth exploring in a broad and general sense.
Like, i understand the problems caused by a mish mash of asian cultures into one, i get it.

But i was not the one focusing on the katana thing, she did and the linked article title is "bringing a katana to a gun fight"
Now i would understand it 100% if the tyger claws were in the lore a "mish mash of asian cultures", that would fall in line with the whole problem but...they are not, they are japanese so i still don't see the issue with them having katanas and apparently nor does the community i spoke to and joined.

FWIW, in relkation to you looking forward to the podcast, we all have enjoyed the conversation so there will for sure be a followup once the game is out, so wether they do a specific podcast or not, if you are interested i can post future convos and such.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's cool that you've now bothered multiple marginalized groups on this site, going to the point of intruding on AsianEra with these questions, because you just can't fucking take this article talking about transphobia and its offhand mention that racism is racist. Love how you couldn't get over how much this other trans woman talked about her issues and continue to attack her writing because she didn't do it as acceptably to you as a user did here, and continue to talk over other trans women here regardless.

It's real fucking gross behavior, dude. Just move on.

Excuse me? O_O

Ufyv2

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
User Banned (permanent): troll account
There is a pinned topic for the company problems tho, couldn't we separate the two subjects with a reminder to the pinned one on each pages ?
Ofc we need to talk about all the problems about CDPR, but I also understand the people who just want to come here to read previews/infos of the game. It doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand it.
Yeah, you are right. I was here for some non spoilery stuff about the game from people that got their hands on an early copy. I had to check the name of the thread to see if i was where i thought i was. "Cyberpunk 2077 Night City WIRE: Episode 5 |OT| Time moves in one direction, memory in another [Media Impressions, Console Footage & Discussion]"

Golgotterath

Nov 21, 2020
Maybe get of Gabe's back for a second, as he took the effort to educate himself and showed nothing but the right intensions.

Anyway, no new player reports re. how the mechanics feel/play?

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna know if I buy the PS4 version if the trophies will carry over to my PS5.. If not I'll probably buy for PC.

bod

Nov 1, 2017

We are constantly being told to educate ourselves and even in this very thread to do research . Yet because your research does not have the outcome that person wants , you are now bothering marginalized groups on this site and intruding on AsianEra .
You couldnt make this shit up .

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*sigh*

I'm asian by the way so

I'm not a part of the AsianEra community, I'm just trying to raise other minorities voices on this game and cdpr here. And their voices should not be dismissed

I know you're trying to help but please dont say something akin to this again? It's a little insulting, and most of us can defend for ourselves.

There are TONS of things to be concerned with on what CDProjekt has done, as Kyuuji has compiled, but the stuff on Tyger Claws aint it.

Also I dont think Gabe was ever attacking the other article, he was just commenting that it could be better written, which is more of a professional criticism rather than attacking the content in it. That should always be fine.

Oct 21, 2019
We are constantly being told to educate ourselves and even in this very thread to do research . Yet because your research does not have the outcome that person wants , you are now bothering marginalized groups on this site and intruding on AsianEra .

That's the impression I'm getting, as well. I hope we're wrong.

Further, why will TransEra not commit to writing the paragraph if Black Chamber has offered? Has a reason been given for this? They could also all sign their names since many have decided to play the game after all - it would, in a way, help their message.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible to keep it completely separated, as the issues are directly involved with the game itself. Besides , it'd keep the trans community and its allies isolated, while others would just pretend there's no issue with the game. Putting info on the OT is a great chance to educate people on the matter.

Also, it's not like the trans issues are off-topic. They're completely related to the game and its developer.
90% of this thread is nothing but ignoring the trans community and the fuckery of CDPR, this won't change with a "everyone is welcome" in the OP lol. "Everyone is welcome" should be a fucking implicitness in every thread here, the fact alone that this is even a contested decision as a mention in an OP is basically saying it all.
Agreed and as a new member who actually didn't know about these disgusting things prior to joining. The pinned thread and the staff communication highlighted these issues to me. Opened my dumb eyes to a lot of things. So anything else that signal boosts these to others is exactly what needs to happen. Thanks
Kyuuji for that thread and all the others who keep beating the drum.
Exactly.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's the impression I'm getting, as well. I hope we're wrong.

Further, why will TransEra not commit to writing the paragraph if Black Chamber has offered? Has a reason been given for this? They could also all sign their names since many have decided to play the game after all - it would, in a way, help their message.

Let's shelve that question until BlackChamber actually answers the question first, huh?

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
*sigh*

I'm asian by the way so

I know you're trying to help but please dont say something akin to this again? It's a little insulting, and most of us can defend for ourselves.

There are TONS of things to be concerned with on what CDProjekt has done, as Kyuuji has compiled, but the stuff on Tyger Claws aint it.

Also I dont think Gabe was ever attacking the other article, he was just commenting that it could be better written, which is more of a professional criticism rather than attacking the content in it. That should always be fine.

Thank you both, my biggest problem is that don't believe in the ignore button - as i think there's alway something valuable to learn even from heated replies - nor have i ever reported a user...but i gotta admit i was pretty tempted for a second :S

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My opinion is that putting all those things about this topic in the OT would make them get lost. I look at the first page of the OT once and then never again. That one thread should definitely keep being pinned on Gaming. That way it'll always keep being seen there.

Edit: Or just do both things, I guess 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also please for god's sake on some of the posts, dont comment about AsianEra like we are pitiful, and without a voice.

I know some of you dont mean it, but it's a little insulting.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I think it's good to keep the discussion going and relevant, but if people want to just talk about the game without getting involved in the discussion regarding the issues then they can just use the ignore button and move on

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
And again, it's not just this game in a vacuum, it's a larger trend with Western developers?

I do think that this Kotaku article makes a mistake in suggesting that katanas and other Japanese influences were a recent design decision by the developers of Cyberpunk 2077.

To me it looks like the developers of CP2077 were only staying true to the Cyberpunk roleplaying games. When the first RPG books came out in late 1980s the Japanese culture was successfully getting into Western markets, and clearly had a positive influence on the designers of the original Cyberpunk roleplaying game.

Katanas and other Japanese influences are now an integral part of Cyberpunk lore and the games. The Night City, in the lore, is a melting pot of different cultures, and you get this mishmash of different cultures. We are talking about criminal gangs that can adopt just about anything as their theme. There is even a gang that is based on old car wash company branding.

Moreover, the point about katanas in gunfights shows that the writer of Kotaku article did not bother to look into Cyberpunk source material.

It is important to listen to minorities regarding these concerns, and I agree on principle on the point about usage of racial stereotypes in game design when it is insulting to any group of people.

But in this instance, I think the writer should have actually looked into the source material more - which preceded the video game - before accusing someone on using harmful racial stereotypes. I think it is a poorly researched article, which makes a few mistakes. But any concerns should always be listened to and discussed.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019
I'd say talking about what TransEra does or doesn't do WHEN we have an answer about the OT before we have that answer is putting the cart before the horse and shifting the topic, but sure.

Could one not say the same about what Black Chamber does or does not do? Not sure I'm following the logic, but I certainly do not want to argue.

I think we both hope this is resolved.

duder92

Jun 17, 2018
Trying to catch up now that I actually landed a PS5.

If I want to play Cyberpunk on PS5, do I buy the PS4 version and play it via backwards compatibiility?

Is an actual PS5 version coming?

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Trying to catch up now that I actually landed a PS5.

If I want to play Cyberpunk on PS5, do I buy the PS4 version and play it via backwards compatibiility?

Is an actual PS5 version coming?
Yep, it's only available next gen via backwards compatibility at the moment. A proper next gen patch is coming sometime next year however.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Indeed. At this point, assuming there is even going to be an OT, I see no reason Black Chamber should be the one to make it.

Let someone else make it.

There's no reason at all for them to be so resistant and beating around the bush for such a simple, basic, barebones request.

I see no reason they should be able to handle the OT at this point.

They have not demonstrated good faith whatsoever and I don't trust them with it,vatvsll.

Give it to someone else, because the way they've acted sndvsvoided saying "yes" to even such a simple request like ie tystvwhen there should be no logical reason to do anything else....

Just strip the OT from them and give it to someone else.

Unusual circumstances, sure, but just can't trust them at all at this point and after their behavior I see no reason they should continue to have it.

Let someone beho actually gives a damn handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.