Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Noticed this whilst browsing the computer in V's apartment, maybe a hint from the developers that we might eventually see a working (rideable) train system in future? If not then it seems like they are trolling...

8sSoWyQ.jpg

6YQ17zd_d.webp

szrQlPE_d.webp

Last edited:

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
chandoog I'm watching the Digital Foundry video you posted in another thread.

Here it is:

And wow... I'm not a fan of what they did to improve the framerate with patch 1.2. Multiple assets and lighting elements regularly just not loading anymore on PS4 Pro is not great. I don't see how it's an improvement at all. This fucking game...

And look at all these crashes...

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
What's even the policy for Cyberpunk returns on Xbox? Is it automated for anyone asking for a refund no matter the amount of time player?
It's automated and I'm pretty sure playtime is irrelevant, because I played it for around 45 hours and my refund was approved 5 minutes after the request.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017

Here it is:

And wow... I'm not a fan of what they did to improve the framerate with patch 1.2. Multiple assets and lighting elements regularly just not loading anymore on PS4 Pro is not great. I don't see how it's an improvement at all. This fucking game...

Yeah, I just watched it. I played through on PS4 Pro at launch and, honestly, seeing the reductions made now, I'm glad I did rather than wait for a patch. The example of the apartment shootout post-prologue is stark, and the gains aren't worth it.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with this game since like Christmas.

Are they planning more patches after this one or is this meant to be the big one to bring console players back?

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
From DF Video, looks like the streaming system has been changed on the PS platform and actually boosts the framerate on PS4 Pro to a more stable 30fps. The change to the streaming means there's a very obvious pop-in and in some cases not loaded lighting that makes it look horrible. Crashes are still happening which is really disappointing.

Xbox Series One X seems to be performing the same as before, a consistent sub 30fps but retains the original lighting.

RfYTAn7.png

1Jj1l1V.png

g9WMk2R.png

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
At some point they're going to give up on the old consoles and focus on the next-gen ones, and in fact we may already be close to that point.

The roadmap they've given doesn't specifically promise any more big patches at all, only bugfixes, the next-gen update, free DLCs, and paid expansion content further down the line.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I loaded up my game after the update and I see it now hitches every time it autosaves. Just me? Better that than the copious amount of crashes I had when I played it if that is the cost of keeping it a little bit more stable. Of course, it may have done that when I played, I can't recall a game my mind forgot as quickly as this game. Just here and gone in my mind. The crashes though never leave, was worse than a Bethesda game on PS3 holy moly.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Yeah, I just watched it. I played through on PS4 Pro at launch and, honestly, seeing the reductions made now, I'm glad I did rather than wait for a patch. The example of the apartment shootout post-prologue is stark, and the gains aren't worth it.

Yeah, what I played of the game was on PS4 Pro too. They really just could have worked towards fixing all the crashes and other egregious bugs, and leave the framerate alone. The performance wasn't good but it was serviceable. Instead, they insisted on progressively breaking the game a bit more with every patch they released...

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Frankly, I don't care that much about less lighting and adverts because I'll hardly notice these things when playing. It's the character pop-in that bothers me.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Noticed this whilst browsing the computer in V's apartment, maybe a hint from the developers that we might eventually see a working (rideable) train system in future? If not then it seems like they are trolling...

The train system was clearly VERY heavily integrated into the design of the game--there's at least one station you can still access most of, there's that rainbow of neon light rings that was clearly made for the train to travel through, the advertisement of V inside a crowded car. Just wandering around the world you get the very strong impression that the train must have been taken out at the last minute & probably they intended to put it back in as soon as whatever wasn't working could be fixed.

There are a few things about the game that really make you stop and say, "Oh god, this is the video game equivalent of a Civil War amputation, just lop off the limb and hope the patient survives."

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
From DF Video, looks like the streaming system has been changed on the PS platform and actually boosts the framerate on PS4 Pro to a more stable 30fps. The change to the streaming means there's a very obvious pop-in and in some cases not loaded lighting that makes it look horrible. Crashes are still happening which is really disappointing.

Xbox Series X seems to be performing the same as before, a consistent sub 30fps but retains the original lighting.

RfYTAn7.png
I did notice during the video that at one point I'm pretty sure they had Xbox footage that Also didn't feature the sign on the top left.

Could have been base Xbox but they didn't point it out so either a mistake with the footage or they didn't realise.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I installed the game for the first time last night on my Pro and updated to 1.20 and I've just got to that early indoor gunfight with the missing lighting in the video, and the lighting is there on my Pro. Looks just like the One X version.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the exact opposite, couldn't stand the female V in this game but male V was acceptable. Would take Geralt & Yennefer over both of them in a heartbeat though 😀
I looove Female V. Dunno why anybody should compare V, which is a first person character, to a witcher character though. You dont see her most of the time.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Regardless of what anybody thinks of the actual game. The game is the best looking on the planet. Just walking around and taking in all the details.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Regardless of what anybody thinks of the actual game. The game is the best looking on the planet. Just walking around and taking in all the details.

Depends on how you play it. I played through it on a 3080 and it was gorgeous but the technical problems on console make the game pretty hideous. This is one of those games that shows the problems that pop up when art direction and technical capability not being on the same page.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, on PC at near to max high settings, its one of the best looking games I've ever seen. Just put on a nightwave playlist on spotify and drive or walk around at night, and it's easy to get lost in the atmosphere. It's incredible.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

Here it is:

I just can't see them ever getting the last gen versions patched to a satisfying state.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
So as a PS5 player this patch has made it look even worse somehow with shitty lighting, removed assets, and even fewer pedestrians. And it still crashes?

Game is done for me until the next gen patch then. If I can even be arsed to continue halfway through the story and remember wtf is going on.

I feel even stronger now that the game should have been delayed by over a year and been next-gen/PC only. The old consoles can't handle it and it's leading to a pointless vicious cycle of patches that can't possibly solve the problems and make the game remotely acceptable.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

Yep, no one is doubting that part. When things come together and work it really is stunning especially considering the detail they jam into the world and the complexity of it all. When it isn't falling apart at the seams it is astonishing.

Anyone who experiences it on less than a high end PC is missing out.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this since I finished it back in December but based on what this patch did (or didn't) accomplish I really hope they dump the old consoles for the expansion DLCs. It'll just hold them back and still be a technical barely running mess on PS4/One so what's the point.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I've owned the game since day 1 on PC, have barely put in much time. It looked really nice on the new PC I built at the time, but I ran into enough real annoying bugs that I figured I'd put it into the backlog til it was patched. I very rarely play through a single player game more than once, so may as well get the best version of it.

Sounds like there's still a fair amount of issues after the patch, if I'm understanding impressions correctly? Bummer.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm just gonna wait till I get a PS5 and there's an official next gen patch to play it. I don't feel like buying it again to play on my new gaming laptop and still have the PS4 version downloaded on my console.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Playing this on a PS4 Pro and I tried these recommended settings for better performance:
  • Film Grain — off
  • Chromatic Aberration — off
  • Depth of Field — on
  • Lens Flare — on
  • Motion Blur — off
...but it doesn't seem to be much different. Any other tweaks people are using? ("Buy a high-end PC" does not count as a tweak :) ) I don't care much about framerates as long as it's over about 24.

I've also seen one bizarre error in which V looks in the mirror in his apartment and all you see is a disembodied chest... but no crashes so far.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of Bugs are still horrible. The other day I got stuck inside a box. And now, look at how I like to sit in a bar:

Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2021-04-06-16-16-30-03.png

Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2021-04-06-16-17-07-97.png

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It's crazy how poor the non-RT AO is in this game. With RT off, cars look like they're not touching the ground

For some reason the AO also introduces a lot of grain in motion for me. When I turn RT back on, the image becomes a lot cleaner.

I'd also argue that reflections are just as important as the RT shadows/AO at making objects fit into a scene naturally. The cars in the non-RT shots have pretty bad cube maps and are reflecting light that isn't around them. Like most of this stuff, it's super apparent in motion, especially when you see the reflection of peds in your car as they walk by, or you see reflections remain on objects and surfaces no matter what angle you're looking at (the typical SSR breaks down super fast).

When can I have this stuff in every game?! D:

Stunning. BTW, Ultra or Psycho RT in those shots? RT Shadows on or off? (clearly on!)

Psycho, but I'll need to test more whether it's worth the big performance hit compared to Ultra (for most people the answer is no). It SEEMS to help further ground peds and cars (and other objects) into the scene by making the lighting they receive just a little more natural based on what's around them (in some situations at least), but a lot of it could be placebo as well. It would help if I knew exactly what Psycho adds compared to Ultra (just an additional light bounce? Full GI? I still don't know...)

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been very impressed too. Especially the little face animations and details when you speak to someone, it can be very convincing at times.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
For some reason the AO also introduces a lot of grain in motion for me. When I turn RT back on, the image becomes a lot cleaner.

I'd also argue that reflections are just as important as the RT shadows/AO at making objects fit into a scene naturally. The cars in the non-RT shots have pretty bad cube maps and are reflecting light that isn't around them. Like most of this stuff, it's super apparent in motion, especially when you see the reflection of peds in your car as they walk by, or you see reflections remain on objects and surfaces no matter what angle you're looking at (the typical SSR breaks down super fast).

When can I have this stuff in every game?! D:

Psycho, but I'll need to test more whether it's worth the big performance hit compared to Ultra (for most people the answer is no). It SEEMS to help further ground peds and cars (and other objects) into the scene by making the lighting they receive just a little more natural based on what's around them (in some situations at least), but a lot of it could be placebo as well. It would help if I knew exactly what Psycho adds compared to Ultra (just an additional light bounce? Full GI? I still don't know...)
Full GI, basically. At least as far as I could tell. For instance the windshield beams on the Makigai MaiMai glow noticeably more red due to the light bouncing off of the red of the paint job during the day on Psycho RT

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
The environment design in this game is a marvel, nothing else comes even remotely close to the scale and complexity of the city found here (and probably won't until GTA VI arrives on the scene, whenever that may be).

I just find myself endlessly wandering around on foot taking it all in, TBH I feel like I got more than my moneys worth just doing this alone.

Last edited:

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Only complaint I have is the rain is so bad. It's just there in the background. It doesn't hit you or anything. So distracting and takes away from all the other details.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Getting further into this game -- I think I've finished the first act and moved to the main body of the story -- and am having a lot of fun. Maybe one crash every three hours or so and no further glitches, though I'm not exactly pushing the game very hard by doing bizarre things. I'm playing pretty straight-up and making sure not to kill people; just beating them with my fists and taking their guns (unlike some games, this one seems to let you somehow carry a dozen guns away from a conflict).

Quick question as I seem to have missed it - there are weapon mods that do various things; one, "Pax", seems to turn it non-lethal. How do I attach this to a gun?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question as I seem to have missed it - there are weapon mods that do various things; one, "Pax", seems to turn it non-lethal. How do I attach this to a gun?

Each gun should have several slots.
One is for the suppressor.
One is for the optical sights.
And the third is for the mod. This is where you put the mod that can make the gun non-lethal.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Each gun should have several slots.
One is for the suppressor.
One is for the optical sights.
And the third is for the mod. This is where you put the mod that can make the gun non-lethal.

Thanks; finally found that. Looks like you only have to select the weapon in your inventory and the menu comes up; I though you might have to take it to someone specific like the weapon equivalent of a ripperdoc. Just attached the Pax to my main weapon and it now shocks but does not kill people!

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
It's only when I see this thread I'm reminded it exists.

It was my number 1 most anticipated game for the last few years, and I really enjoyed my playthrough of the PS4 version on PS5 until I stopped about halfway due to the constant crashing. But the more time passes where the game is still in an unacceptable state the less I care about returning.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it at launch but I swear I've never seen a AAAA tentpole release like this go from one of the most hyped games of a gen to being almost an afterthought in the cultural consciousness just a few months later. Maybe its an Era bubble thing and this is still making waves but I see almost no discussion of this anymore outside ongoing patch progress. I wonder if CDPR will potentially scrap some of the dlc plans.

Cyberpunk as a genre was always going to be a tougher sell than the dark fantasy of Witcher, but its still jarring seeing the gap between the two properties in terms of impact and general popularity/discussion.

I hope they can turn things around and we can see more from this universe in the future, but the open world stuff needs such a major overhaul in terms of systems and general reactivity. If they can't do that I wonder if the 2077 license for vidya would be better off going the Telltale route and focusing on its biggest strength, characters and story.