Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
I enjoyed my time with it at launch but I swear I've never seen a AAAA tentpole release like this go from one of the most hyped games of a gen to being almost an afterthought in the cultural consciousness just a few months later. Maybe its an Era bubble thing and this is still making waves but I see almost no discussion of this anymore outside ongoing patch progress. I wonder if CDPR will potentially scrap some of the dlc plans.

I just thought the same thing when I saw the thread. "Ah right, that existed". Still doesn't seem to be fixed though, so not touching it.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So with the new Nvidia drivers and the 1.12 Hotfix patch released today my game still will not work, crashes at launch.

I have however made a discovery, though I'm not sure what it means exactly.
  • Launch the game from STEAM - Insta Crash
  • Launch the game from EXE Directly - Insta Crash
  • Launch the game from EXE as Administrator - Works fine
If I set the compatibility flag on EXE to Run as Admin, I can launch the game via STEAM but there is no STEAM overlay or tracking as STEAM doesn't think the game is running after the first few seconds.

My guess is that this means there is something else going on that is causing the game to crash that isn't happening when the game EXE has Admin permissions, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with STEAM, with the game, with another app/service on my PC.

The issue itself has been ongoing since January.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
So with the new Nvidia drivers and the 1.12 Hotfix patch released today my game still will not work, crashes at launch.

I have however made a discovery, though I'm not sure what it means exactly.
  • Launch the game from STEAM - Insta Crash
  • Launch the game from EXE Directly - Insta Crash
  • Launch the game from EXE as Administrator - Works fine
If I set the compatibility flag on EXE to Run as Admin, I can launch the game via STEAM but there is no STEAM overlay or tracking as STEAM doesn't think the game is running after the first few seconds.

My guess is that this means there is something else going on that is causing the game to crash that isn't happening when the game EXE has Admin permissions, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with STEAM, with the game, with another app/service on my PC.

The issue itself has been ongoing since January.

What if you launch Steam as Administrator, then launch the game from within Steam as normal? Also if you haven't already, verify the integrity of the games local files from within Steam, just to be sure.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
What if you launch Steam as Administrator, then launch the game from within Steam as normal? Also if you haven't already, verify the integrity of the games local files from within Steam, just to be sure.
I've verified files so much I might as well have a macro shortcut on the keyboard for it at this point.

However, running STEAM as admin did allow the game to launch properly without any issue and the STEAM overlay/tracking worked.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
However, running STEAM as admin did allow the game to launch properly without any issue and the STEAM overlay/tracking worked.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

No probs. I used to run my Steam as an Administrator on an old system for similar reasons, I don't do it anymore on a recent build and fresh Win 10 install though and have no problems. Not sure why sometimes it helps, but it does.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Ninja has seen better days.

20210414201918_1.jpg

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it at launch but I swear I've never seen a AAAA tentpole release like this go from one of the most hyped games of a gen to being almost an afterthought in the cultural consciousness just a few months later. Maybe its an Era bubble thing and this is still making waves but I see almost no discussion of this anymore outside ongoing patch progress. I wonder if CDPR will potentially scrap some of the dlc plans.

Cyberpunk as a genre was always going to be a tougher sell than the dark fantasy of Witcher, but its still jarring seeing the gap between the two properties in terms of impact and general popularity/discussion.

I hope they can turn things around and we can see more from this universe in the future, but the open world stuff needs such a major overhaul in terms of systems and general reactivity. If they can't do that I wonder if the 2077 license for vidya would be better off going the Telltale route and focusing on its biggest strength, characters and story.

By all accounts this is the most disastrous launch of a high-profile game of all time, and will be used as a case study for years to come. (Not even E.T. had this much expectations or hype going into it). I don't think it's just you or Era. Pretty much all discourse about the game has simply vanished everywhere you look. The countless corporate mouthpieces (aka influencers) that were hyping the game as the second coming of Christ have gone completely off the radar. The only people YouTubers that still talk about the game are those that produce scathing post-mortems on this catastrophe. It's like people want to erase this nightmare from their memory and pretend it never happened, as if they feel ashamed for having been suckered in by the hype and the meticulously-designed marketing.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently a shit load of new gigs and story additions have been data mined, particularly in Pacifica and with Mr. Hands

Romulus believes this name confirms the "very first large story-based DLC", and although a few of these files have been in the game since launch, a significant amount of content with the "ep1" tag was added in the recent 1.2 patch - and new additions are a lot more interesting. Romulus showed me two screenshots showing how his search hits for ep1 went from five in the game's 1.03 launch version, to 220 after the 1.2 patch. Eurogamer also separately checked the files and was able to view the ep1 quests.

Some of these only have placeholder text, but others list objectives and email exchanges - including a discussion between two characters about a quest character called Wagner. There's mention of a hostage situation involving a group called "Kurtz Militia". Another street story requires players to find a hidden den of netrunners, and there's mention of a bomb in a swimming pool.

One of the quests has a full description, and centres on a character called Anthony Anderson who the player is expected to rescue from the Scavengers gang. [...] Anyway, it features a new location called Newcomers Haven, described as an "unfinished church repurposed as a shelter", which is presumably located in Pacifica - as the fixer giving out the quest is Mr. Hands.

longside the street stories, Romulus said that a significant amount of content has also appeared to supplement the existing story arcs - such as dialogues and texts for main characters "or even characters in side quests to keep things interesting". Meanwhile, some photo mode poses that have been in the files since the game's launch, titled "photomode facial singing", have now been added in English. Romulus said new files are normally first introduced in Polish, and the translation indicates they are closer to being finalised for implementation in the game.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
By all accounts this is the most disastrous launch of a high-profile game of all time, and will be used as a case study for years to come. (Not even E.T. had this much expectations or hype going into it). I don't think it's just you or Era. Pretty much all discourse about the game has simply vanished everywhere you look. The countless corporate mouthpieces (aka influencers) that were hyping the game as the second coming of Christ have gone completely off the radar. The only people YouTubers that still talk about the game are those that produce scathing post-mortems on this catastrophe. It's like people want to erase this nightmare from their memory and pretend it never happened, as if they feel ashamed for having been suckered in by the hype and the meticulously-designed marketing.
I feel like there are other opinions on the game, i just recognize that im in the minority with my pc (3070/9700K), and well i just dont post much in general either.

I started playing the game a bit after 1.2. Using Digital Foundry's settings/ultra raytracing the game is no contest the best looking game i've ever seen. 1440p/DLSS, 50-60 FPS with gsync. I found some controller settings on reddit that mimic apex legends and once i put those in the controls were MUCH better.

10-15 hours in, i find the gameplay to be nicely varied (conversations, shootouts, investigations). The 2 main aspects that made me love the witcher games (ambition in storytelling structure and memorable, well-written characters) are definitely present in Cyberpunk. I've experienced a handful of GRAPHICAL bugs only, nothing that has impacted gameplay. I would prefer those bugs not be there, but the sheer spectacle of the rest of the game minimizes any annoyance from the bugs.

The game 100% should not have come out when it did. It wasn't ready. Nearly 6 months and 2 patches later, their vision is much more clear. All things considered, I'm having a blast with it right now. As a fan of sci-fi, cyberpunk (genre), and CDPR's brand of RPG's, its fucking awesome.

Hopefully the next-gen version comes out in a good state. I think if it does, there's a good chance perception of the game will shift dramatically.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... you're at the start. Act 1 is definitely (a) the most fleshed out (b) writes a lot of checks & it's up to the rest of the game to cash them.

Is it? I actually thought that Act 2 is where more or less all of the strongest questlines in the game reside (and also most of the content). I was pretty lukewarm on the game as of the end of Act 1 -- which I thought felt bizarrely compressed, and had some weird storytelling decisions -- and my opinion of it improved a lot when I hit the Act 2 questlines.

I dunno, I recognize that there may be something of a PC/console divide on this (although my PC is pretty old at this point, and I was not playing on anything close to max settings), but I have a hard time reconciling the game I played (twice!) with some of the commentary I see on it here. I could list plenty of missed opportunities, bizarre decisions, and bugs, but also a lot of really high-quality questlines and character work that you don't often get in AAA games. And despite the well-documented oddities in NPC behavior, the game has a stunning sense of atmosphere at many points.

The release on consoles was obviously a legendary clusterfuck (isn't it still delisted from the Playstation store?), but I have a hard time seeing the game itself as this shambling catastrophe.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Is it? I actually thought that Act 2 is where more or less all of the strongest questlines in the game reside (and also most of the content). I was pretty lukewarm on the game as of the end of Act 1 -- which I thought felt bizarrely compressed, and had some weird storytelling decisions -- and my opinion of it improved a lot when I hit the Act 2 questlines.

I dunno, I recognize that there may be something of a PC/console divide on this (although my PC is pretty old at this point, and I was not playing on anything close to max settings), but I have a hard time reconciling the game I played (twice!) with some of the commentary I see on it here. I could list plenty of missed opportunities, bizarre decisions, and bugs, but also a lot of really high-quality questlines and character work that you don't often get in AAA games. And despite the well-documented oddities in NPC behavior, the game has a stunning sense of atmosphere at many points.

The release on consoles was obviously a legendary clusterfuck (isn't it still delisted from the Playstation store?), but I have a hard time seeing the game itself as this shambling catastrophe.

I don't disagree with most of these points. Act I does feel a bit on rails, you feel confined, you see the map and the skyline and you're desperate to get out of your little neighborhood and explore... and then you can. But it's a very good "starting an RPG" feeling, getting a little sandbox to prepare you for the bigger one, getting a sense of the factions and the pressures on V.

For sure, if you consider the game in pieces rather than as a whole, the strongest moments are later in the game--the big quest chains are good, and the writing is a very high quality on the whole.

I played the game in early December on a PS5. I crashed a bit but I don't really care about that. I was in it because I loved Witcher 3 and I wanted a good story with good characters. And I feel like the technical complaints let the game off the hook, because I did not feel enriched or fulfilled or moved by the story. I felt like it had lots of great pieces that added up to not much because there's an incoherence at the core. Maybe because it's unfinished but, I strongly believe, mostly because someone high up enough to direct the shape of the game didn't know what story he was telling.

I should say a lot of this is influenced by the fact that I'm a woman. Witcher 3 surprised me by how welcomed I felt--how varied and interesting the female characters were, how much I could empathize with them. Witcher was superficially a bit off-putting but fundamentally one of the most feminist games I've ever played. Cyberpunk is the opposite--it looked like it would be a step forward and it took many steps back, and I did not feel nearly as welcome or included.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree with most of these points. Act I does feel a bit on rails, you feel confined, you see the map and the skyline and you're desperate to get out of your little neighborhood and explore... and then you can. But it's a very good "starting an RPG" feeling, getting a little sandbox to prepare you for the bigger one, getting a sense of the factions and the pressures on V.

For sure, if you consider the game in pieces rather than as a whole, the strongest moments are later in the game--the big quest chains are good, and the writing is a very high quality on the whole.

I played the game in early December on a PS5. I crashed a bit but I don't really care about that. I was in it because I loved Witcher 3 and I wanted a good story with good characters. And I feel like the technical complaints let the game off the hook, because I did not feel enriched or fulfilled or moved by the story. I felt like it had lots of great pieces that added up to not much because there's an incoherence at the core. Maybe because it's unfinished but, I strongly believe, mostly because someone high up enough to direct the shape of the game didn't know what story he was telling.

I should say a lot of this is influenced by the fact that I'm a woman. Witcher 3 surprised me by how welcomed I felt--how varied and interesting the female characters were, how much I could empathize with them. Witcher was superficially a bit off-putting but fundamentally one of the most feminist games I've ever played. Cyberpunk is the opposite--it looked like it would be a step forward and it took many steps back, and I did not feel nearly as welcome or included.

I can't say I disagree with much you wrote here either - and sorry, I realize that I started by disputing the relative merits of Act 1 / Act 2, and then kind of wandered off to argue about stuff that your post didn't say. It was half a reply to you, and half a reply to a different post earlier in the thread.

I think it's definitely true that the strongest parts of Cyberpunk feel weirdly modular. There are great quests, but they don't tie together all that nicely, particularly when compared to Witcher 3. Your last point is interesting - do you think it's because the game is drawing from source material from the 80s, so it's echoing an out-of-date flavor of sexism that doesn't register properly as satire or critique? I'm not sure it was a great idea to make (or maybe keep) the setting as patriarchal as it is. The women in Cyberpunk certainly weren't as well-written as the female NPCs in TW3 (although I liked Panam and Judy in particular), which is unfortunate, particularly because Cyberpunk was working with the natural advantage of offering a gender choice for the PC. V is a little flat no matter which gender you pick. I played it once with each voice, and didn't feel much of a difference.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Your last point is interesting - do you think it's because the game is drawing from source material from the 80s, so it's echoing an out-of-date flavor of sexism that doesn't register properly as satire or critique? I'm not sure it was a great idea to make (or maybe keep) the setting as patriarchal as it is. The women in Cyberpunk certainly weren't as well-written as the female NPCs in TW3 (although I liked Panam and Judy in particular), which is unfortunate, particularly because Cyberpunk was working with the natural advantage of offering a gender choice for the PC. V is a little flat no matter which gender you pick. I played it once with each voice, and didn't feel much of a difference.

I think they did a pretty decent job trying to gender balance the NPCs--we probably spend more time with Regina and Wakako than any other fixers, Judy and Panam anchor major questlines, Hanako is sitting at the top of the Arasaka food chain. Evie leads us into the story, Rogue connects past and present. The weird thing is that I could tell that someone (or many someones) were actually thinking about this stuff, and bean counting it all, and probably tracking it all on a whiteboard somewhere.

But, just to get at the weird way that Cyberpunk manages to be two things at once: the Clair questline was maybe my favorite in the whole game. I haaaaated driving in Cyberpunk, I hated actually doing the races, but Clair was such an appealing, approachable, level-headed character, a breath of fresh air in a world that is otherwise perpetually dialed up to 11. I loved how friendly she was and then I was truly shocked by the way that questline ends--I felt used in a way that was hurtful but I also understood her and didn't really blame her. It had the kind of heart and nuance and also pain that I remembered from the Witcher.

But even though all that is true... when people say Cyberpunk is transphobic they are right and the fact that Clair's questline is legitimately fantastic does not make any of the transphobic stuff ~disappear~.

So back to sexism. Here's one of the little detail that got really grating as I played. This sounds like a minor thing and it *is* but there were so many like it. When you wander around the apartment buildings in Night City you often hear sex noises coming from inside the rooms. Now, I assume that if someone is watching porn in this world they'd use a headset. It's a very techy world, you'd have to be a real douche to put your porn on stereo in these apartments. So probably we're supposed to be thinking, "Ah, these buildings are massive technological marvels but they're also shoddily built warrens where everyone lives cheek to jowl and there's no privacy, you hear your neighbors having sex." -- that's a smart environmental detail! It makes sense, it builds the world, and also all the sex vocalizations are female. Why? It's not because when you actually hear your neighbors having sex you only hear women. Maybe more often you hear women, but men aren't silent. It's because your average cis het male is going to be excited/titillated by female sex vocalizations and repelled by male ones. So the smart environmental detail actually becomes a moment where the game caters to certain players and not others.

And that's not a case of, "this is a world that operates according to a certain set of rules, and then the characters who live in that world find ways to adapt their nature to, against, and around those rules." That's fine--I can engage with a sexist world if the women in it are varied and interesting. It's the devs being slimy. Which they are often enough to leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Oct 27, 2017
So I loaded up the game and after p[laying for a while, I accidentally killed a citizen in front of some police. When I did that, the police started chasing me, so I ran far... I mean VERY FAR, to the point where there was no way they could see me or where I was hiding. 30 seconds later a train of them came and found me hiding and killed me. The system is still broken.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
So I loaded up the game and after p[laying for a while, I accidentally killed a citizen in front of some police. When I did that, the police started chasing me, so I ran far... I mean VERY FAR, to the point where there was no way they could see me or where I was hiding. 30 seconds later a train of them came and found me hiding and killed me. The system is still broken.

So like the cops in real life... seems like working as intended to me. 🤔

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I know this is a controversial game, but I'm still curious about it. I just ordered a copy for literally $18 on Amazon Warehouse.

Is it worth playing? Is it worth the guilt of supporting? Has it been updated enough to recommend?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I know this is a controversial game, but I'm still curious about it. I just ordered a copy for literally $18 on Amazon Warehouse.

Is it worth playing? Is it worth the guilt of supporting? Has it been updated enough to recommend?

If it runs alright, 18 bucks is a steal.

(Because Cyberpunk is one of the most unique, immersive open world narrative rides of 2020.)

That may sound biased, sorry.

The only way to find out if I'm off the mark now is to play it. So give it a shot! ;p

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
If it runs alright, 18 bucks is a steal.

(Because Cyberpunk is one of the most unique, immersive open world narrative rides of 2020.)

That may sound biased, sorry.

The only way to find out if I'm off the mark now is to play it. So give it a shot! ;p
I will, thanks. Wasn't sure wether to cancel or not but yea, it's unlikely I'll find a better deal even if I waited for more patches.

Warehouse has 20% off today btw. I also got a used PS5 controller for $48. I hope it works okay lol.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I had to turn on all three RT settings because they just look so good. Unfortunately I need to run DLSS in Performance mode to get reasonable FPS. It's defintely less sharp than quality mode.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017

Which platform? Xbox Series X still seems to be the best out of the console version but the PS4/5 doesn't seem to be bad though there's still some crashing apparently. I personally played on an XSX and not too many complaints about it though it's glitchy (though I find a lot of it pretty funny).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just started it again after this latest update about 3 days ago. So far I'm only 3 hours in, and I haven't experienced a single crash on PS5. The last time I tried it with the previous update, I couldn't play longer than 30 minutes.

There's still some glitches (parked cars hovering, Jackie warping through walls, etc), but nothing game breaking.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Has this happened to anyone else?

I've upgraded one of my weapons (a shotgun) using the crafting menu multiple times. So it had awesome stats and does great damage. But now when I check my inventory, it displays the old (original) stats. This is the second time this has happened.

Is this a bug? Are upgrades temporary? I'm kinda confused here...

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Has this happened to anyone else?

I've upgraded one of my weapons (a shotgun) using the crafting menu multiple times. So it had awesome stats and does great damage. But now when I check my inventory, it displays the old (original) stats. This is the second time this has happened.

Is this a bug? Are upgrades temporary? I'm kinda confused here...

There is something wrong with weapon stats. I find that the DPS numbers change regularly and randomly on my weapons, especially when comparing them to others or upgrading them. Happened the other day with a shotgun. Before upgrading it showed like 700 then it was 600 then 700 again and after that 600 again for the next 5 times that I checked it. I upgraded it and it seems to be locked at 600 but I can't say for sure because over 4 playthroughs it has happened to me countless times.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
There is something wrong with weapon stats. I find that the DPS numbers change regularly and randomly on my weapons, especially when comparing them to others or upgrading them. Happened the other day with a shotgun. Before upgrading it showed like 700 then it was 600 then 700 again and after that 600 again for the next 5 times that I checked it. I upgraded it and it seems to be locked at 600 but I can't say for sure because over 4 playthroughs it has happened to me countless times.
The equipped weapon stats in your slots change and scale with your perks compared to when you view them in your inventory.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
The equipped weapon stats in your slots change and scale with your perks compared to when you view them in your inventory.
I bought this game at launch but decided to wait until they worked out the bugs to play it. I started playing about a week ago and hoped it would finally be on good enough shape to play. A few hours in its not as buggy as I expected. The thing in not enjoying the game much. :/

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this game at launch but decided to wait until they worked out the bugs to play it. I started playing about a week ago and hoped it would finally be on good enough shape to play. A few hours in its not as buggy as I expected. The thing in not enjoying the game much. :/
anything specific you're not enjoying?

i started it a week or 2 ago and, for the most part, am really enjoying the experience. Its definitely still rough around the edges. Specifically the combat encounters seem to be held together with hopes and dreams, but the atmosphere and writing keep me going.

The more i play the more i understand the different character build options and upgrade paths and cybermods and on and on. Building out my character is also quite fun to me.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Recently started it back up after the big 1.2 patch on PC and about 20hours in and haven't experienced a single crash or game breaking glitch. Enjoying the hell out of the game. It actually feels like a spiritual successor to the recent Deus Ex games which i love, a shame they screwed over console players as bad as they did tarnishing the game and their rep.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Gamers surely are something. I see everywhere on the internet, how they put the company to the ground because of the issues in launch which I can understand, and now they're asking everyday for the big patch because they can't wait to play the game. lol.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Only 30.000 reimbuirsements our of 13 million copies sold. Forums definetely are niche and what is discussed here certainely doesn't matter at all out there. A shame.

Deleted member 56457

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Finished the game last night clocking in at 60 hours hardest difficulty. Bought this on sale last month and luckily the patch dropped the week after. I encountered a lot of bugs In my first 12 hours pre patch, but the majority of my play through was on the latest patch. Usually I don't do all of the sidequests in games but they were different enough for me in Cyberpunk to only miss out on a handful. There is a lot that I like about the game such as the visuals, stealth, quick hacking, and rpg elements. What I don't like is the pacing of the main quests(felt too short) and the AI. The game ran consistently at 80+ FPS (RT ON DLSS Balanced @ 1440p GPU Rtx 2070 Super). Overall I enjoyed my time with the game but I can understand why people didn't like this game originally. The game is far from being fixed but it's worth a try.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Only 30.000 reimbuirsements our of 13 million copies sold. Forums definetely are niche and what is discussed here certainely doesn't matter at all out there. A shame.
kotaku.com

CD Projekt Refunded Only 30,000 Copies Of Cyberpunk 2077

Only a tiny fraction of the overall Cyberpunk 2077 sales resulted in refunds, CFO Piotr Nielubowicz told investors during an earnings call earlier today. Out of the 13.7 million copies sold, the Polish developer apparently issued just 30,000 refunds.

That's very interesting!

30,000 is the number of copies that were refunded directly through CDPR's "Help Me Refund" program. The number of refunds in 2020 across all storefronts is estimated to be about 180,000 total.

I really ike the break down Ars Technica did:

arstechnica.com

Cyberpunk 2077 refunds barely dented CD Projekt Red’s bottom line [Updated]

$51.3 million in projected refund costs vs. 13.7 million Cyberpunk copies sold in 2020.
Buried in the "Other Provisions" section of the 90-page financial report, CDPR acknowledges about $51.2 million (194.5 million PLN) that the company says it "has recognized [as] provisions for returns and expected adjustments of licensing reports related to sales of Cyberpunk 2077 in its release window, in Q4 2020." Translated into plain English, that number seems to include all digital and retail refunds for the game in 2020, as well as expectations for continued refunds and lost sales projected through 2021 (thanks to F-Squared's Mike Futter for helping me parse the tortured language in the report).

Broken down, the $51.2 million in "provisions for returns" includes $10.65 million (40.4 million PLN) in refunds made through digital and physical retailers in 2020, as well as about $2.23 million (8.5 million PLN) in direct refunds made last year through CDPR's "Help me Refund" campaign (including marketing costs for that campaign).

CDPR projects an additional $38.34 million (145.6 million PLN) in refunds and lost sales in 2021 "based on information obtained from distributors concerning sales to retail distribution networks, retail sales to end customers, number of copies present in various distribution channels and warehouses, as well as the distributors' professional judgment concerning expected sales throughout 2021." That seems to include the impact of the game's continued absence from the Playstation Store, which CDPR says is close to ending now that the developer has released a number of major patches.
Losses of over $51 million due to Cyberpunk's botched launch might sound significant. But that number has to be taken against the rest of the company's record-shattering performance last year. That included about $563 million in total sales revenue (~2.14 billion PLN) and net profit of just over $301 million (~1.15 billion PLN) in 2020 alone. Even adding in the Cyberpunk refunds/losses projected for 2021 (and not including any additional Cyberpunk sales projected for 2021), that $51 million "provision" represents just 9 percent of the company's 2020 revenue.

You can also weigh the impact of the refund program against 13.7 million total unit sales of Cyberpunk 2077 before the end of December. Assuming 2020's approximately $12.9 million in refunds averaged out to full $60 purchases, that means CDPR refunded just under 215,000 copies, or about 1.6 percent of all Cyberpunk units sold last year.
In an earnings call following the financial statement's release, CDPR confirmed that roughly 30,000 copies of Cyberpunk 2077 were refunded directly through the company's "Help Me Refund" program. That would imply a total of about 180,000 total refunds in 2020, assuming the same average "cost per refund" rate across various digital and retail storefronts.
Despite the strong financial picture, the reputational damage CDPR is facing from Cyberpunk's poor rollout may continue. The company's stock price peaked at $31 a share on December 4, just a week before it announced its refund program. Yesterday, that stock closed at $11.68, down over 62 percent in about four and a half months.

Last edited:

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
The sales figures are interesting but I hope that CDPR doesn't learn the wrong lesson.

I remember someone was explaining how the sales of movie franchises can be deceiving--you make a movie that performs really well, maybe it starts small but word of mouth gives it legs. Time to make a sequel. When the sequel comes out, even if it's bad, the interest that had built up slowly over time all pays off at once--theaters are packed. By a lot of metrics, the sequel outperforms the original. People sit down and say, "Ok, now we're doing movie #3 and we should do all the stuff we did in #2 except MORE," and then the third movie is flop and everyone scratches their head and asks why. But the answer is that the early metrics that blew up #2 were a reflection on the quality of #1, and the performance of #3 was the ultimate judgment on the quality of #2.

It can be a real pain in the ass to return a game, and Cyberpunk isn't that bad. It disappointed a lot of high expectations, and it didn't come close to meeting the standard set by The Wild Hunt, but it's an above average game. It's fine. A game can be okay enough to keep while simultaneously still being not-great enough to exhaust the enthusiasm generated by the Witcher.

The real source of all the Cyberpunk hype was the Witcher. The reason why people bought Cyberpunk was The Witcher. CDPR owes most of those 13 million sales to The Witcher. They won't know how much Cyberpunk hurt them until they try to sell us something new, and everyone is like, "I dunno, convince me."

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Forums are definitely a niche. Online in general. Know that many people grew up with games with bugs and game breaking something. I know people at work who are completely satisfied with launch Cyber. It took me personally last month to even care. It is a great game despite current issues. Walk. Don't walk.