Oct 26, 2017
There was a lot of discussion on Randomless pages 18-21 that I think would be beneficial for people to re-hash in general. There's so much to quote, so I'll just re-affirm what my stance was. I stubbornly defended Randomless quite a bit. There was a decent amount scummy about their play, but I couldn't get over the fact that their dejected townie posts felt genuine as hell. I had some back-and-forth with Pancakes and Monkey over it and bounced back-and-forth a hundred times. When you look at Monkey's post, it seems pretty damning. And if Randomless' sad posts were an act, they got me. Though maybe it was genuine and that dejection and sadness was coming from a town read scummate getting blasted by Kopite.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Then dredging through Random's posts, I found this series where Random says he rather not vote someone out that's going to flip town, says he townreads Bojack, then ultimately hammers Bojack. As a bonus, the "just proving I have the double" ringed extremely weird because I don't think anyone doubted he had it, so why feel the need to prove he had it?
Unfortunate, that. But after seeing when he hammered, I understand if Random did that to both save himself and prove that he wasn't telling tall tales about his DV prize. Whether that was right is debatable. Randomless believed Bojack was town but he knew he, himself was town so better of two worlds and all.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, just checking in. Sorry, I'll probably be around more tomorrow than tonight so far.

RE: Fruit Vendor claims... I was wondering when/if we'd ever find out Nat's "I got a message last night" hint, interesting to see this.

I'm not sure I've ever played with one before, and if so, what all implications that has. I looked it up on the mafia wiki though. One thing I'm less clear on is whether or not the item given/received is randomized, or assigned typically. I.e. Natiko gave a Boston Creme donut. Was this always the result if the skill was used on Natiko, or was this randomized?

Given there's a "forbidden donut" threat out there, what's the likely trigger? Random chance? A specific player? Or maybe times used? There's certainly a pattern in the known PRs outed being limited in use (1 for Kopite, 2 for Zipped, and a claimed 2 by Launchpad). Maybe it's irrelevant here whether or not that's how it's determined.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
VA has a lot more posts than I thought so I'm not doing that tonight. I got to page 5 of my my review and closed the tab. I'd rather go back and see what Nat has to say.
On the topic of searching for town instead of (or alongside I suppose) mafia - Ambo is probably town. He has a pure soul and I don't for a moment believe he posts what he has so far as scum just to bait emotional reads.
So, from what I know about Nat, I think Whamban (Whambulance+Stan=Whamban/Whamtastic) is pure. I can't see a situation where he follows up on Amb's posts with fake empathy, that would be off.
You hadn't even waited to see what Anex would say, so ultimately we'll never know but I think I would've gotten a response from him without you speaking up. Sometimes someone pings your radar for a specific thing they said or did and you can dig into that. Anex's was more a case of NOT doing something so there wasn't one specific angle I wanted to dig in on, so yes, I did not lead him with specific questions. I do get your point. I guess I'm just not sure why you feel so strongly the vote would go ignored, especially on D1 of all days when it's usually a content drought.

But anyways

Unvote

As for the other person of notoriety - I've been mulling the situation over. If you're scum!EC do you really start out doing the bit then bail the moment a couple people accuse you? Like he'd have to absolutely expect both the question and votes to follow. I'm inclined to say it's more likely town!EC gambiting for the sake of his meme. Meh. Dislike the whole thing, but don't feel all that strongly about voting there.
As for Anex, Nat goes into him for a couple posts but after Monkey strikes he's quick to duck back and start prevaricating. He later says that he didn't scum read Anex and instead wanted Anex to talk for himself. This is a hard one for me. Does Nat start arguing with Anex purely to argue with him? In that case, how would scummates interact? It's possible that it could have been a manufactured argument, however judging by Anex's lack of response I doubt that. You can tell from his curt posts that he's not entertaining Nat. I come off feeling more town in this scenario.
I'll be curious to see who you're thinking. I woke up this morning wanting to park a vote on Kopite for now, but seeing Bojack post about them gave me pause. No idea why because I'm not reading Bojack as scum. Hrm Hrm Hrm.

I think what irks me with the Kop wagon currently is that the players that jumped on after Cap never really did anything to expand the reasoning for voting there, and I think Cap's argument for the vote was shaky. There's plenty of low info posters right now, why the coalescence on Kop out of them all?

The rules don't specify that it has to be immediately next to it, so my assumption was that "being in the same post" would count. If not I'll take my smack on the hand.

I'll add as an aside that this reminds me of Fate/Mafia in which I was scum and anytime I felt like people were violating the rules I'd snitch to try and get them modkilled lol But I did it in private, not out in the open so I think that makes me feel more confident you're not scum. Or at least don't have a private chat.
This is quite...odd when reading back. Nat seems to emphasize Cap's vote for Kop in his initial post, and then later goes on to say that while bad, at least it had some reasoning. VA and Randomless' votes on Kop were, to Nat, much more meaningless. But afterwards, he keeps coming back to using Cap as an example of a bad Kop voter. Why? It's possible he's signal boosting a teammate, although I can't say it's likely. I'm more of the mind that Nat was trying to set Cap up as a possible vote out target by giving him an image of a bad voter. So, I end up with a slight town lean on Cap.

On the flipside, it's weird that doesn't mention VA and Ranovere much. Either Cap was the intented target or it was an intentional oversight. Hm.
It's not much, but for now I'll say that my town list is:

Monkey
Conditional-Pancakes
Kopite (could be neutral? Not that I'd care to vote out if so)

I don't think it's that likely it's SvSvS, butttt

I could see there being another scum in contention, yes. It would explain the lack of a real push to save LP, especially with him flipping goon. I wouldn't vote off of this alone, but it's the main thing that was scratching at my brain during the night phase. I just didn't get around to digging into it because of vaccine sickness and life stuff.

And Halo
Ha. Now we know that D1 was SvTvT, and with that, we also know that either scum was unable to save LP in time, or they always had the thought of sacrificing him EoD. This turns my read on Monkey around because it's very possible her vote at that time was a calculated move if so because at 4 votes, it would have been easy for scum to make a concerted effort to say, EC.

In terms of spooking scum with his reads, this looks to be one of his last read lists:

I reserve the right to be wishy-washy, but:

Town:
Monkey
Conditional-Pancakes
Nat

I had Kopite on my town list yesterday after the claim, but my brain is swirling around Kopite, Bojack, EC, and Zipped today. I have zero feelings on Anex, CaptainNuevo, Ambulance, Launch, or Randomless. I'm on the fence about putting Launch on town list....I'd say of everyone leftover to place, Launch is closest to making the town list.
Speaking of town lists, I don't know how to organize the Nat/Moneki/VA relationship in my head. They can't all be scum, there's too much contradiction. For example, Monkey initially had VA as her always 1 but slowly changed her read to maybe suss and then finally he may be a murderer. VA has always had Monkey as an inspiration since jump, town forever, that hadn't changed. Nat, weirdly enough, comments on that relationship to Monkey unprompted asking why she lowered VA from her initial town level. To me, I wonder if Nat asks that question if he's paired with Moneki. I come around to no, he doesn't. It's possible that he was gauging Moneki's feelings to boost VA into a town lean but I feel like that would have an opposite reaction coming from him.

I'm still leaning bad on VA.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he say he had to use it that day? So why not?
I don't really care that he used it. It was more about the grandstanding Random did about not wanting to vote out another townie, then ultimately voting on someone he thought was town.

There was a lot of discussion on Randomless pages 18-21 that I think would be beneficial for people to re-hash in general. There's so much to quote, so I'll just re-affirm what my stance was. I stubbornly defended Randomless quite a bit. There was a decent amount scummy about their play, but I couldn't get over the fact that their dejected townie posts felt genuine as hell. I had some back-and-forth with Pancakes and Monkey over it and bounced back-and-forth a hundred times. When you look at Monkey's post, it seems pretty damning. And if Randomless' sad posts were an act, they got me. Though maybe it was genuine and that dejection and sadness was coming from a town read scummate getting blasted by Kopite.
I buy the dejected tone being genuine, but I find it NAI. To add to those two scenarios, the idea that Random wasn't able to put effort into the game and felt he was playing poorly are totally valid emotions to feel regardless of alignment.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies yall for ghosting the game today, fucking ripper of a headache has be in no state for dense reading.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I've claimed every game I've been in and it went terribly twice and so-so the first game (when I was also fruit vendor).

So I didn't have high hopes, LOL. My goal was to get it out early and completely in contrast to last game where I had accepted defeat and mostly just revealed to keep it fun for myself to the end.
i might be wasting everyones time here, but could you go into some detail about these previous cases? i think it might help get a better handle on your role usage this game being as turbulent as youve said.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Another thought before I move on: if anex is telling the truth and we assume there's a switcher in play, why did I get a green check on Vere if he's town?

As in, I was telegraphing my intention pretty clearly on D2. It was easy to predict I'd target Random that night. If that slot is not scum, why did scum not switch themselves with Random/Vere to let me get a red check back, thus leading us to a misvote and potentially shading me as well in the process? That feels like it would have been the optimal move as it wastes the most amount of time.

Since I got a green check back, they either switched a scum!Vere with a town player or they did not switch a town!Vere at all, and I find that second possibility somehow less likely within the context of D2/N2.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
That's as far as I'm going down this rabbit hole. The rest is ultimately going to come down to how I'm reading Randvere.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I figured out what Captain saw that he shouldn't have. He saw Fred Flinstone's flavor description, sounds like it got mixed up in his role PM by accident maybe? I don't think that's a smoking gun to point to Randvere being town, because maybe scum gets flavor descriptions or maybe Fred Flinstone was originally meant to be an actual vanilla role and got swapped out for a different character.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
No way does scum gambit on leveraging receiving a wrong flavor description in a fake vanilla role PM to clear someone.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
i might be wasting everyones time here, but could you go into some detail about these previous cases? i think it might help get a better handle on your role usage this game being as turbulent as youve said.
In Trek, I had a role typically associated with scum (roleblock) and people couldn't conceive I was town. I was voted out based on mechanics.
In Nier, I flubbed it a bit, but I was the protagonist of Automata and people had trouble with the particular implementation of JOAT.

I lacked context for previous games to appreciate how problematic those role particulars would be. This time, I knew it was an atypical fruit vendor, so I did a full accounting of my abilities all in the same post.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Another thought before I move on: if anex is telling the truth and we assume there's a switcher in play, why did I get a green check on Vere if he's town?

As in, I was telegraphing my intention pretty clearly on D2. It was easy to predict I'd target Random that night. If that slot is not scum, why did scum not switch themselves with Random/Vere to let me get a red check back, thus leading us to a misvote and potentially shading me as well in the process? That feels like it would have been the optimal move as it wastes the most amount of time.

Since I got a green check back, they either switched a scum!Vere with a town player or they did not switch a town!Vere at all, and I find that second possibility somehow less likely within the context of D2/N2.
This is a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario given we don't know if there's a switcher or godfather in play, and nothing has shown that there might be. Fruit vendor could or could not be accompanied by one, it's not always 1:1 depending on the game maker's intention.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Can I have reads from everyone? They don't need to be crazy detailed, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where most people stand today and that's not a good sign.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Can I have reads from everyone? They don't need to be crazy detailed, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where most people stand today and that's not a good sign.

It's still what I wrote here, but I don't have much more than a simple list without details. I'm not sure I fully buy this fruit vendor thing from Anex so he stays at the bottom of my list. But it's not like I have strong arguments.

I don't know if it's because I had to step out of the game for a few days, but honestly I'm kind of at a loss today. And these Random/Vere speculations didn't help, lol! :p

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's still what I wrote here, but I don't have much more than a simple list without details. I'm not sure I fully buy this fruit vendor thing from Anex so he stays at the bottom of my list. But it's not like I have strong arguments.

I don't know if it's because I had to step out of the game for a few days, but honestly I'm kind of at a loss today. And these Random/Vere speculations didn't help, lol! :p
Where does Randvere sit with you if you ignore the green check?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I mean, what else can he do in his current position? If he's scum, it's a good way to gain town points. If he's town, it's also a good way to gain town points. I don't think it necessarily means anything in and of itself.
Agree with this and think we're at a crossroads. Either we continue with previous PoE or open the field back up based on possible mechanics.

Monkey's idyllic town core concept very much in jeopardy.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this and think we're at a crossroads. Either we continue with previous PoE or open the field back up based on possible mechanics.

Monkey's idyllic town core concept very much in jeopardy.
The towncore got broken down yesterday after Bojack was town and Randvere came back green. A lot of people walked back town reads they had on different players to the point where we ended up with only three truly trusted players. We had Pancakes and Amb in there, but people weren't as confident in that after all that went down on D2.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
It kind of feels like we're floundering here, so does anyone have anything to say?

I'll start. What does everyone think about the fact that D1 was SvTvT?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It kind of feels like we're floundering here, so does anyone have anything to say?

Statistically the most likely given the one scum is known. And it makes sense scum not trying to save LP given how that day went.

MoNeki and Launch are the only remaining LP voters alive. I agree that Monkey's play was very town to turn out to be scum. If Launch is scum, he's played a wonderful puppet master. So I don't think necessarily one than one scum parked their vote there (Natiko). Given the random nature of D1, that wouldn't give the cover subsequent days would.

That's all to say that I don't think the D1 distribution is particularly informative.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Given that feel rudderless, I'm going to go ahead a place a nominal vote. This is one of the players from a shortlist that I feel must necessarily be scum, but I don't have the supporting logic yet.

Vote: CaptainNuevo

How do you know if your ship is sick?

You swab the deck.

OP
OP
MrHedin

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
==== DAY 4 VOTES ====
Day Start

No votes have been cast!

Not voting: Vincent Alexander, Neki, CaptainNuevo, Stantastic, Verelios, Conditional-Pancakes, anexanhume, LaunchpadMcQ

Post Counts:
LaunchpadMcQ: 35 anexanhume: 26 Conditional-Pancakes: 12 Verelios: 12 Vincent Alexander: 11 Neki: 4 Stantastic: 2 CaptainNuevo: 1

Current Countdown:
3cotmdnn2t

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
I have one line of thinking that might take me somewhere, but it's going to take some time.

I would echo what anex has said. The distribution on D1 was a mess. We had 4 out of 15 players not voting - one confirmed scum, two confirmed town, and one unknown but it's basically NAI for Amb.

Whether by luck or planning, we know there was no attempt at a counter wagon. I don't think there's anything in that D1 vote that will give us anything of merit.

D2, there were tons of people hedging between Bojack and Random. Everyone voted that day (except Monkey who replaced). There's only one unflipped player remaining that ended the day with their vote on Random: Stanbulance. Again, not super helpful. There's probably more in the vote movement, that's part of what I wanted to look at.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Statistically the most likely given the one scum is known. And it makes sense scum not trying to save LP given how that day went.

MoNeki and Launch are the only remaining LP voters alive. I agree that Monkey's play was very town to turn out to be scum. If Launch is scum, he's played a wonderful puppet master. So I don't think necessarily one than one scum parked their vote there (Natiko). Given the random nature of D1, that wouldn't give the cover subsequent days would.

That's all to say that I don't think the D1 distribution is particularly informative.

I have one line of thinking that might take me somewhere, but it's going to take some time.

I would echo what anex has said. The distribution on D1 was a mess. We had 4 out of 15 players not voting - one confirmed scum, two confirmed town, and one unknown but it's basically NAI for Amb.

Whether by luck or planning, we know there was no attempt at a counter wagon. I don't think there's anything in that D1 vote that will give us anything of merit.

D2, there were tons of people hedging between Bojack and Random. Everyone voted that day (except Monkey who replaced). There's only one unflipped player remaining that ended the day with their vote on Random: Stanbulance. Again, not super helpful. There's probably more in the vote movement, that's part of what I wanted to look at.
I see, you could both be right on D1 and I'm missing some context only looking at the vote tool.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up this morning...

Ah, I figured out what Captain saw that he shouldn't have. He saw Fred Flinstone's flavor description, sounds like it got mixed up in his role PM by accident maybe? I don't think that's a smoking gun to point to Randvere being town, because maybe scum gets flavor descriptions or maybe Fred Flinstone was originally meant to be an actual vanilla role and got swapped out for a different character.

Interesting theory. Unfortunately, I once again am not allowed to confirm or deny this. But I can say that if this were to happen HYPOTHETICALLY, I would feel exactly as strongly as I do this game.

That said, your other possibilities are correct, but also probably not something I would have thought at first glance.

I do want to add one thing to the discussion on the possible swapper thing on N2 you mentioned. If we think a swapper was alive that night, AND was actively using their powers, that means there's 2 scum left. If you assume there's only 3 scum total, swapping cannot have occurred after N1 since a scum player cannot both submit a kill and use a power role the same night.

Likely not going to get us anywhere, and I'm not sure exactly where a "3 scum, 1 swapper and 2 normal goons" would fit in balance-wise compared to what we've seen/have claims on.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Catching up this morning...

Interesting theory. Unfortunately, I once again am not allowed to confirm or deny this. But I can say that if this were to happen HYPOTHETICALLY, I would feel exactly as strongly as I do this game.

That said, your other possibilities are correct, but also probably not something I would have thought at first glance.

I do want to add one thing to the discussion on the possible swapper thing on N2 you mentioned. If we think a swapper was alive that night, AND was actively using their powers, that means there's 2 scum left. If you assume there's only 3 scum total, swapping cannot have occurred after N1 since a scum player cannot both submit a kill and use a power role the same night.

Likely not going to get us anywhere, and I'm not sure exactly where a "3 scum, 1 swapper and 2 normal goons" would fit in balance-wise compared to what we've seen/have claims on.
Regarding scum players night actions, it's a little more complicated. 1 scum player can't use their PR and the NK the same night when there's 2 or more scum left, but when there's only 1 scum the gamerunner usually allows them to use their PR and NK together. It's a case by case basis but that usually happens to give the last scum a push forward.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017

The split on this isn't what's surprising as much as it is the way that nobody really tried to influence the vote much away. Other folks have gone into details on it better than I have, but I'm wondering if it was more of "Scum is ok letting their teammate die" vs some of them just not being around to try to argue better.

Regarding scum players night actions, it's a little more complicated. 1 scum player can't use their PR and the NK the same night when there's 2 or more scum left, but when there's only 1 scum the gamerunner usually allows them to use their PR and NK together. It's a case by case basis but that usually happens to give the last scum a push forward.

...Really? Huh, guess I've never been in that situation, interesting to know though thanks for the correction :)

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
See, I may have said all that stuff about where the mechanics would make sense for Randvere to be scum, but then I see posts like this:

where Vere is seeing what I am seeing. He sees the game is stalling out, and see how that's bad because scum is just running down the clock. Scum is hoping we're going to be forced to make a decision. As indecisive as I am being today, I can't deny Vere is absolutely showing town qualities here.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
See, I may have said all that stuff about where the mechanics would make sense for Randvere to be scum, but then I see posts like this:

where Vere is seeing what I am seeing. He sees the game is stalling out, and see how that's bad because scum is just running down the clock. Scum is hoping we're going to be forced to make a decision. As indecisive as I am being today, I can't deny Vere is absolutely showing town qualities here.

I do agree with this. I generally like Vere's posts today and what seems to be a real effort to bring out ideas and relevant stuff to talk about.

Like I said, there are (or were?) good reasons to vote out Randvere. But would I place an actual vote there today? The more I think about it, the less likely it seems to become in my head.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's a very real threat here. Especially since we're back to a 48 hour period, and we've already burned through almost half the time here...

Doing some math in my head here, how many day phases do we have left assuming every day is a misvote? If we have 2 scum left, 2 days of bad votes would put us at 4 players left, 2 scum 2 non-scum.

If we have 1 scum left, we get 3 days of bad votes right?

Now, if we take into account there may exist alternative ways for players to get cleared from the game, would we be in a better place if that happened? I.e. if the forbidden donut really did lead to instant-death, would that hurt or help our odds at winning the game? It wouldn't really change the day phase that "End of Game" occurs on, since we'd go to a 3:2 town:scum ratio, then go to 1:2, instead of a 4:2, 2:2. Same thing if it's a :1 ratio instead.

I bring this up because I'm well aware of a certain... nuclear option to eject from the game if it improves our odds.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
So, this is where I'm at right now.
I was thinking it when Kopite died, but with Zipped here, this certainly seems to form a profile that at least one of the remaining scum are new to scum and/or don't have many games under their belts. Killing Kopite on N2 when there was a claimed doctor and cop in play means they were probably afraid that Kopite would have more than one shot, but I assumed immediately that Kopite only had one just from general experience with games this size and X-shot roles.

Now it's Zipped who's dead and I also assumed he had two shots. Instead of letting us wallow in the WIFOM behind Zipped really being the doctor, whether my green check on Vere is legit, and whether I'm really the cop, they solve one of those puzzles for us.

I could tell you right away what I would've done - and what I think Nat/LP would've done, because they have the experience to make those role assumptions - is kill Zipped on N2 and me on N3.
This is what I said at day start today. I felt like I could call with a high degree of certainty that Neki was going to be the night kill last night, but he wasn't. This is a mystery to me because Zipped, Vere, and I had more WIFOM and doubt surrounding us than Neki did, so to pick out the one player who would have the hardest time defending himself today based on his D3 standing is weird. Kopite being killed on N2 also did not feel right to me, because I just assumed Kopite had a single shot; I don't think scum assumed the same. I think I was missing pieces from this puzzle, though, and I might have found them.

I'm not going to dig up Zipped's case against Pancakes because it was conditional (😎) on Randvere being scum, but he voted her two days in a row. Simply, I think Zipped was killed partially to get Zipped off Pancake's back.

Here's another piece of evidence:
To me, Zipped is an enigma. I really need to see more to form a real opinion. The only thing I really remember from Zipped is that he didn't like me mentioning his name at the end of Day 1. Yeah, there was some sort of claim, but has it been proven true? Did it have a known, tangible impact on the game? Am I missing something?

I don't necessarily think that Zipped is scum, but right now I certainly don't have a town read at all.

I know we don't have proof that there is a protective role in this game yet, but it's a safe bet. The scum roleblocker points us in that direction and it's just a basic expectation for most games. It would be extremely risky for scum to fake claim a protective role because there would be only one in a game this size, and so it would just be a matter of time before either the real doctor comes forward or the real doctor ends up dead. And if that happens, I don't think Zipped is going to be able to convince anyone he's the real doctor. Zipped's been around the block and I think he's well aware it's a bad plan.

So, easiest solution for me is, Zipped is the real doctor. Also, Zipped has a tendency to soft power roles way earlier than he needs to. I think he was out as the doctor for the majority of a recent-ish game we were both in.

I think this could be where Pancakes realized that it was only a matter of time before Zipped was confirmed as town, and she as scum would certainly not try to counterclaim that, so in a towncore position Zipped would be able to go after her. I was immediately coming into today with the plan of having everyone mass claim to undo the Zipped knot and that was solved for me before I even had the chance.

The other thing here is the three towncore players left alive - myself, Vere, and Neki. I admit she may have pocketed me (as in, if she's scum; I've absolutely fallen for it); Vere town reads her; and Neki is somewhere in the middle, but he's not been actively gunning for Pancakes, either.

I would be able to brush off who Zipped was gunning for as the kill suspect because that's just WIFOM, but the timing of Zipped's death and the Kopite kill the previous night is a combination of facts that point in Pancakes' direction.

So, let me re-reread some of her earlier posts:
I'm very comfortable with my vote on EC right now. Whether he flips scum or town doesn't make a huge difference to me at this point in the game (i.e., day 1). I'm still convinced the situation is bad for town as it can have the potential to be an easy source of distraction, and be weaponized by scum to some degree (as I talked about here and here).

I really can't think of a better day 1 vote. Who else? I'm not sure about the alignment of anybody yet so I'm really not sure to hit scum. But voting out EC does bring positive advantages to the state of the game.

Randomless said I was voting for EC just because it was a good policy vote. I'm not totally sure what it means in this context, but I want to say that I'm not voting there because of the "EC is always telling the truth" meme. I'm voting EC because of the posts in the game, especially this one, this one, and this one.

Unless something really big happens by the end of the day pointing toward scum, my vote will stay there. Monkey didn't scare me :p

---

Right now I give town vibes to:
– Monkey: Cautiously.
– Vincent Alexandre: Mostly a gut feeling right now. I like his posts.
– Donniewahlberg: Nothing really changed since the last time I made a town list. Tentative town read.
– anexanhume: Same as Donnie.

The rest is still null to me.
While Pancakes was adamant on trying to solve EC, EC was a safe choice to not draw attention to one's self. The case against EC was presented by Nat and myself, and I hanged out there pushing EC throughout D1. EC is anti-town by nature so he makes a good target. Tunneling in on that would give Pancakes a general air of towniness, regardless of whatever the outcome was because of some well-placed justification on how she wants to get rid of that distraction. Frankly, I don't blame her - that was a waste of time.

Interesting. Do you have someone else in mind then?

unvote

Don't want to risk the day ending prematurely.

Also, the fact that the thread is so quiet makes me nervous and reconsider my vote a bit... Something feels off. Should we still go with a Randomless flip? What do you all think?

To expand our horizon, why don't we post who we would be willing to vote for besides Randomless right now?

Here's my list of people I would be currently willing to place a vote on (same list as I wrote in another post earlier):
(Randomless)
Bojack
EvilChameleon
CaptainNuevo

LaunchpadMcQ

I'm OK to switch to Bojack if you're willing to vote there.
I've not really felt like Pancakes has led or started any wagons this game. Reviewing her D2, she accepted the case against Random based on Nat's flipped and what others had said about it. Pancakes eventually unvoted to play the part of the concerned townie after some others had raised points which favored Random. She tries to negotiate with me to vote for Bojack.

Captain presented a case on D3 where scum maybe juked a TvT D2 situation to make it seem like something bigger was going on. Pancakes was definitely on the cusp of that. It would be bold to try something like that as scum when there was no need to. But from her perspective, regardless of who flips, neither train would point back to her action here because neither was scum. It was not as risky a proposition as when a scum teammate was involved like on D1, where Pancakes did not move her vote at all.

When Random came back to the thread toward the end of the day, I really liked the posts. It seemed to me it was a genuine attempt to be helpful and solve. Questions where answered in a way that was helpful and seemed honest. Might be just an impression, though. That's why I'm interested to know what others are thinking.
On D3, Pancakes claimed that she was having doubts because Random's posts reading townie, but she did not state this on D2. The only reason she cited on D2 for switching off Random were that it was too quiet and that the Bojack case seemed more appealing.

I need to reread the past day, but here's a quick list illustrating my current perception of everybody in order from most to least town.

Launch
Vere (green check by Launch)
Neki
VA
Stan
CaptainNuevo
Anex

EC's posts would be my guess.
Here's my last point: I mentioned an hour or so ago that scum is just trying to run the clock down. I see several people that feel legitimately lost today, but in the greater context of Pancakes' reticence to push her own directions previously, I find her reads concerning because they do not really offer a direction for today. It simply provides all the players ordered by perception, but Pancakes has not pressed anex or Captain or anyone else further in the almost 12 hours since day start.

It feels like Pancakes might be trying to run the clock down.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Here's my last point: I mentioned an hour or so ago that scum is just trying to run the clock down. I see several people that feel legitimately lost today, but in the greater context of Pancakes' reticence to push her own directions previously, I find her reads concerning because they do not really offer a direction for today. It simply provides all the players ordered by perception, but Pancakes has not pressed anex or Captain or anyone else further in the almost 12 hours since day start.

It feels like Pancakes might be trying to run the clock down.

I admit my play hasn't been optimal today but (1) I'm a bit at a loss, and (2) I'm very, very tired from the weekend. I'll try to do better after some rest.

And you must know by now that I'm not a player that is able to produce big, detailed read posts. So sometimes gut feelings and perceptions are all you'll be able to get from me. Especially when I'm tired. :p
I do hope I'm able to stay useful, though.

Also, I agree that it all really boils down to a question of perspective, but a lot of the quotes you pulled were made in an attempt to play in a cooperative way. Including the whole Bojack/Random situation. That's how I tried to play the whole game. So you be the judge about whether it looks like a scum strategy or not, but I can assure you it wasn't.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I admit my play hasn't been optimal today but (1) I'm a bit at a loss, and (2) I'm very, very tired from the weekend. I'll try to do better after some rest.

And you must know by now that I'm not a player that is able to produce big, detailed read posts. So sometimes gut feelings and perceptions are all you'll be able to get from me. Especially when I'm tired. :p

Also, I agree that it all really boils down to a question of perspective, but a lot of the quotes you pulled were made in an attempt to play in a cooperative way. Including the whole Bojack/Random situation. That's how I tried to play the whole game. So you be the judge about whether it looks like a scum strategy or not, but I can assure you it wasn't.

This is an interesting trend I've noticed with you on this. The response to people pointing things out is always somewhat defensive, but never in an overtly confrontational way, and never one which gets too much attention to them. At least if memory serves, I'm not great at figuring out how to ISO posts by user here to verify.

Mostly I find this curious because you rarely, if ever, rebuke people by naming another name or building a case against players. It does bother me a bit tbh. That said earlier you did say something...

Where are Stan and Neki? I would be interested to know what they think.

and I'll agree. Only 1 vote is in play, not on either of them, so let's see if we can summon them...

Hands down, 6:30 is the best time on the clock.

Vote: Stan

(That clock thing is a joke. Just think about it).

Also apropos the "Scum is going to have us waste time in circles today" theory, which is more likely: Them driving discussion and keeping us away from theorizing, or sitting idly by and meeting a minimum quota?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is an interesting trend I've noticed with you on this. The response to people pointing things out is always somewhat defensive, but never in an overtly confrontational way, and never one which gets too much attention to them. At least if memory serves, I'm not great at figuring out how to ISO posts by user here to verify.

Mostly I find this curious because you rarely, if ever, rebuke people by naming another name or building a case against players. It does bother me a bit tbh. That said earlier you did say something...

and I'll agree. Only 1 vote is in play, not on either of them, so let's see if we can summon them...

Hands down, 6:30 is the best time on the clock.

Vote: Stan

(That clock thing is a joke. Just think about it).

Also apropos the "Scum is going to have us waste time in circles today" theory, which is more likely: Them driving discussion and keeping us away from theorizing, or sitting idly by and meeting a minimum quota?
I made a loose comparison of AmbuStan's play to EC without much rigor and Pancakes pushed back with no obvious benefit to herself. So unless she's protecting fellow scum, I feel like there's some level of investment, and while it may not be about considering others and herself in both a pro/con manner, it's not solely about deflecting blame or attention.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't so much that you're not making big posts or drafting detailed reads. It's that your votes/reads seem reactionary. EC, Random, Bojack, EC again were all reactions to what other people were discussing.

Oct 26, 2017
(I have no grand information to blow this wide open. I just wanted to say that)

I think "normal" is probably a pretty broad category. I'm not sure I've seen anything other than normal, role madness, or bastard before here, though I might be misremembering. I think even with a switcher, this would still be normal

On that note, I maybe should've checked the OM resources sooner. There's some good info about scum switcher (considered a 5 power level) and role distribution which makes me think we are actually looking at 3 scum even with the vig.

List of usual roles and modifiers

This is a list of roles that are commonly used in our mafia games, and thus considered standard. Please note that this is deliberately not a complete list, and many roles not in this document or variants of these roles can be included in some games. Also note that the power level for a role is...

A Guide for Reviewers

This guide, similar to the Guide for Gamerunners, will give a detailed idea of what to look for when reviewing a Mafia design. Hopefully it will encourage new players to review games in our community, and serve as a reference for everyone. 1. First off... Game reviewing is a malleable process...
Not saying Hedin has to follow these guides completely, but

• 9~12 players: 2 members
  • 13~16 players: 3 members
  • 17~20 players: 4 members
  • 21~24 players: 5 members
  • 25~29 Players: 6 members
So I'm going to say we have 1 left, which makes me feel a lot better about our odds. But also----not sure if you caught this part:

No Switchers in the Mafia team:
A Mafia Switcher is too powerful of a PR, throwing the entire game into disarray and should be generally avoided.

Last but not least:

Informative counters:
Ninja (Mafia) - counter to Watcher/Tracker/Voyeur/Motion Detector (Town)
Godfather (Mafia) - counter to Alignment Cop (Town)
Goon, or any PR that usually belongs to the other team (Mafia) - counter to Role Cop (Town)

If this were a bastard game, I'd say throw this all out the window. But it isn't. I'm going to assume there was no sneaky switch based on the recommendation to avoid a Mafia Switcher, and I'm back to my old belief that our remaining player is a godfather to balance out the cop check.