SuperFinal

Cinematics Designer at Playground Games
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
Managed to see them in 2006 (Global Gathering) and had sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't get another chance, but that's okay.

Thanks for the chord memories, boyos. Rock the Discoteque!

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Man, this really sucks. Amazing albums one after the next, I always assumed we'd get something new in a few years.
Hopefully they do great after this, but will definitely miss their stuff as a group.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well this sucks. I got into Daft Punk as a teenager and outright adored RAM when it released. Really sad that it's over now, but at least the incredible music they made together lives on.

I do wonder what in particular caused the split.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This is sad news. I created lasting friendships due to the common love of Daft Punk. At least I'll still have some good memories.

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Daft Punk has always been very special to me. I must of played RAM 200 times on my long commute to work when it dropped. I was telling my wife the other day how they haven't released an actual DP album in forever and that the new one has to be fucking amazing. This fucking sucks. Touch is a masterpiece, that song takes you on a beautiful trip. I hope this is all a stunt.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
what's yours? i seriously would love to see everyone's list
Had to think about this for a moment.

The Prime Time of Your Life/The Brainwasher/Rollin'/Alive (Alive 2007 - Call it cheating but this is top tier Daft Punk at its best)
Aerodynamic
Revolution 909
Face to Face
Something About Us

Special Shout out: Flynn Lives | Lose Yourself to Dance

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Goodbye and thanks for all the music Daft Punk!! I will never forget the concert in 2007, Keyspan Park in Brooklyn!!

SoWs9lK.jpg

xlonhta.jpg

OKvojt3.jpg

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes good things come to end. They had good run and made real bangers.
Around the World is still one of my most persistent earworms.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've seen some kinda negative takes on my timeline regarding whitewashing. I can't really say that I agree with most of them cause at the end of the day DP were respectful and honest about what they did, but there is a conversation to be had about how they managed to get huge while avoiding the perception of being white artists in a black genre. They weren't actually robots.

what's yours? i seriously would love to see everyone's list
Revolution 909
High Life
Too Long
Indo Silver Club
Burnin'

Oct 28, 2017
It's been so long since they've really done anything I figured they had ended the project without saying it years ago, Fugazi-style

Alive 2007 is a personal top 5 live album. Incredible stuff.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I've seen some kinda negative takes on my timeline regarding whitewashing. I can't really say that I agree with most of them cause at the end of the day DP were respectful and honest about what they did, but there is a conversation to be had about how they managed to get huge while avoiding the perception of being white artists in a black genre. They weren't actually robots.

I always loved that Homework has a song where they just straight up name-drop their influences over a beat.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017

I don't really see it any different to Deadmau5 wearing a big foam mouse head

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The moniker, the ID, the persona is what's important.

You don't understand. Daft Punk isn't two musicians. It's two robots who strived to become human. It's about a fictional universe in which technology came to a point in which it began to admire and envy it's creators. We, humanity are ugly, we're flesh, we constantly strive to be something that we're not. Daft Punk is a pair of robots who saw something in us we couldn't and wished more than anything that they could be it. To be human, after all.

So no, it's not about the sound to me. It's about their lore and story. It's over. And more than that, the video they released told a story that hurt. Silver Robot wanted to stop. Gold let Silver go. And then, Gold carried on. That's not what happens in the movie that clip is from. In the movie... Well I won't spoil it. It's one of my favorite endings ever. Either way, yes. I'm sad about this.
l o r e

They didn't even wear those robot helmets until 1999. I was a fan of them since their Homework days.

du0YaXt.jpg

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Giants. I remember getting absolute hooked in the late '90s when I really started discovering music as a kid and they just dropped some really great stuff. I used to tape their stuff off the radio and just crank it full blast while biking around my small town late at night, bombing down huge hills. Great memories.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

You don't understand. Daft Punk isn't two musicians. It's two robots who strived to become human. It's about a fictional universe in which technology came to a point in which it began to admire and envy it's creators. We, humanity are ugly, we're flesh, we constantly strive to be something that we're not. Daft Punk is a pair of robots who saw something in us we couldn't and wished more than anything that they could be it. To be human, after all.

So no, it's not about the sound to me. It's about their lore and story. It's over. And more than that, the video they released told a story that hurt. Silver Robot wanted to stop. Gold let Silver go. And then, Gold carried on. That's not what happens in the movie that clip is from. In the movie... Well I won't spoil it. It's one of my favorite endings ever. Either way, yes. I'm sad about this.

Yep.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Giants. I remember getting absolute hooked in the late '90s when I really started discovering music as a kid and they just dropped some really great stuff. I used to tape their stuff off the radio and just crank it full blast while biking around my small town late at night, bombing down huge hills. Great memories.
Aww your biking memories sound awesome. what track do you associate with that memory most? :)

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I remember in one the threads about them someone said that a DJ at a hotel by the seaside where they were spending summer was playing "Nightvision" every night on a loop. And that it felt like being on some fantastical JRPG seashore. That description somehow really struck a positive chord with me, even though I never really played JRPGs - I know exactly what that poster had in mind.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I always loved that Homework has a song where they just straight up name-drop their influences over a beat.
Yeah, that's part of what got me thinking about this. That's hella cool but even now in retrospect there's a lot more conversation around the non-humans in their lore than those real influences.

I don't really see it any different to Deadmau5 wearing a big foam mouse head
I don't think it's different, but Daft Punk started it. I think the bigger thing to note is the amount of investment that's gone into their careers and how it fits into the music industry as a whole.

Oct 25, 2017

The original story they gave in 2000 for initially becoming robots was that they were normal humans working on their second album in 1999 when their sampler exploded, mortally wounding them and destroying what they had been working on, then they got robocopped into robots and had to start over. And from then on their music was an expression of their newfound experiences living as robots.

Electroma came a few years later depicting the robots struggle with identity and humanity. Which I guess now takes place in 2021.

2mxPJZq.jpg

Last edited:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

So that clip is from a movie? Where do I find this?

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
This is sad. I don't think I've been more bummed about a band splitting up since Ween.

Yet Ween reunited. And held the best concerts I've ever been to. So long story short, looking forward to Daft Punk 2023.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I already posted about this earlier but this still really fucking sucks. These guys were so influential to me. It makes me feel old too, like that part of my life is over.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well damn.. did not expect this at all. There was always something so otherworldly about them.
What a fantastic run though. Here's to all the good times, music and memories.

giphy.gif

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Broke my heart they held the top spot for so long for my favorite musical group.

A part of me hoped that if they broke up they'd at least release a goodbye song or album but another part of me believes they lost the passion for anything close to their traditional sound considering it isn't particularly new anymore and thought theres no reason to force it.

Oct 27, 2017
Got to see them live at least in one of the last shows of the Alive tour in 2007... Damn it's been so long.

Actually started tearing up, their music has meant so much to me for so long. Like most break ups, I hope it was something they decided to end respectfully and that there is no bad blood. Doesn't seem like there is, but they're pretty private so I doubt we'd ever know for sure.

I know it's kind of just a promo video too, but I'm surprised that it looks like Thomas was the one to call it after so long. Maybe he's done with music for the foreseeable future. Here's hoping that Guy wants to stick around and turn out sounds.

Ah well, I'll miss them.

Been a hell of a Voyage.

Oct 26, 2017
I always liked the idea of them passing the torch onto another duo, but anonymously. Because of the robot guises you'd theoretically have a perpetual band just going on and on.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
The original story they gave in 2000 for initially becoming robots was that they were normal humans working on their second album in 1999 when their sampler exploded, mortally wounding them and destroying what they had been working on, then they got robocopped into robots and had to start over. And from then on their music was an expression of their newfound experiences living as robots.

Electroma came a few years later depicting the robots struggle with identity and humanity. Which I guess now takes place in 2021.
Had no idea, thanks for expanding on that.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't made music in quite some time, so other than not knowing if they will ever make music again now we know they won't.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks, but their last album came out in 2013! So really it just seems like a breakup was long overdue if anything.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I will look forward to the yearly rumors of them reuniting at coachella. Just like the yearly rumors of them performing in general at coachella.

This is for real a bummer though.