• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Painting is fun but bear in mind you'll be stuck in there until you find the exit, which isn't too challenging but still worth noting.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Painting is a safe place where I totally won't invade you at all over and over and leaving you trapped in the painting for all eternity.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
You need a key item to enter the painting.

Location spoiler:

Use the Parish/Firelink elevator to make your way back to the Asylum, the very first area of the game. The item is in your cell where you first started.

You have to sit in the ravens nest so he will take you BACK to the original area. There is a boss here too. The part about your original cell is accurate.

Oct 28, 2017
Hu? Where's that nest?
I'm currently at Anor Lando.
I read that I will soon have the ability to travel from bonfire to bonfire. Should I just continue to unlock that ability and then return?

The nest is at the top of the ruined church in Firelink Shrine. You'd probably be better unlocking warping so you don't have to trudge all the way back.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Sorry for the bump...this is my first ever play-through! I was wondering about my current build and what the best gear is for my current point in the game.

I've beaten the Capra Demon and Moonlight Butterfly, seems like my next task is to go to the Depths. I'm a pyromancer, level 31, rocking Astora's straight sword +2, Grass Crest Shield +3, Elite Knight armor set (all +1), Havel Ring, and Wolf Ring.

Can I do better at this point? Is there anything I'm missing? I own a bunch of other seemingly good weapons like the claymore and estoc; I looted the zweihander from the graveyard but can't swing it yet,; I know that the undead burg merchant drops a good katana if I kill him, and one of the NPCs at the shrine drops a good ring if I kick him off.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump...this is my first ever play-through! I was wondering about my current build and what the best gear is for my current point in the game.

I've beaten the Capra Demon and Moonlight Butterfly, seems like my next task is to go to the Depths. I'm a pyromancer, level 31, rocking Astora's straight sword +2, Grass Crest Shield +3, Elite Knight armor set (all +1), Havel Ring, and Wolf Ring.

Can I do better at this point? Is there anything I'm missing? I own a bunch of other seemingly good weapons like the claymore and estoc; I looted the zweihander from the graveyard but can't swing it yet,; I know that the undead burg merchant drops a good katana if I kill him, and one of the NPCs at the shrine drops a good ring if I kick him off.

Well, what kind of build are you going for: str, dex, quality (both)?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Your Astoria Sraight Sword should probably be +5 by know. Don't bother upgrading anything else until you get the sword to +5. In fact there's little point in upgrading a shield like the Grass Crest since it's more of a utility shield (because of its passive Buff).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

From what I remember upgrading your armor isn't all that useful, unless you really don't have anything else to spend your shards on. Your weapon always has the highest priority in terms of upgrades, as that is where most of your damage will be coming from.

Depths would indeed be your next destination. In terms of weapons, well, there are quite a few options you have. But remember that there aren't many weapons that are intrinsically better than others. If you like the moveset of Astora's Straight Sword, then it could serve you well from the beginning of the game all the way to the very end if you keep upgrading it. Differences between weapons aren't so much about better stats as they are about different movesets, swing speeds, etc. and your personal preferences in those areas.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Well, what kind of build are you going for: str, dex, quality (both)?

Hmm...quality, I think? I think Dex has a relationship with my casting speed as a pyromancer, right?

Your Astoria Sraight Sword should probably be +5 by know. Don't bother upgrading anything else until you get the sword to +5. In fact there's little point in upgrading a shield like the Grass Crest since it's more of a utility shield (because of its passive Buff).

Wow, ok...I got a few twinkling titanites from trading with the crow back at the asylum, that's how I got it to +2, and I can get one more twinkling titanite off the crow. Otherwise, are there are other ways to upgrade the ASS?

From what I remember upgrading your armor isn't all that useful, unless you really don't have anything else to spend your shards on. Your weapon always has the highest priority in terms of upgrades, as that is where most of your damage will be coming from.

Depths would indeed be your next destination. In terms of weapons, well, there are quite a few options you have. But remember that there aren't many weapons that are intrinsically better than others. If you like the moveset of Astora's Straight Sword, then it could serve you well from the beginning of the game all the way to the very end if you keep upgrading it. Differences between weapons aren't so much about better stats as they are about different movesets, swing speeds, etc. and your personal preferences in those areas.

Huh, interesting...I like ASS (lol) if only because I've gotten used to it and it's been really strong for me, the forward stab/thrust is kind of godly and has gotten me out of a ton of situations. Something a bit faster would be good, though.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...quality, I think? I think Dex has a relationship with my casting speed as a pyromancer, right?

Wow, ok...I got a few twinkling titanites from trading with the crow back at the asylum, that's how I got it to +2, and I can get one more twinkling titanite off the crow. Otherwise, are there are other ways to upgrade the ASS?

Huh, interesting...I like ASS (lol) if only because I've gotten used to it and it's been really strong for me, the forward stab/thrust is kind of godly and has gotten me out of a ton of situations. Something a bit faster would be good, though.

There's lots of choices with similar stab attacks that are easier to upgrade with regular titanite-
Balder side sword (can drop from the balder knights in the church area before the gargoyles)
Long sword
Claymore

Regular weapons like this when upgraded a bit will typically do more damage than the Astora because they do pure physical damage and you can buff them, but you could use ASS the whole game no problem

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Shoot, I forgot the Astoria uses twinkling Titanite. +2 should be fine for now.
Heh, same.

StrangeRoboMemory: Astora's Straight Sword is sort of an odd duck in that it doesn't use regular Titanite Shards like most weapons do, but Twinkling Titanite. One of the main differences is that weapons needing the former can be upgraded to +15, whereas weapons like Astora's Straight Sword can only be upgraded to +5. That doesn't mean the latter is bad, since it and weapons like it are balanced around that fact. But it something to keep in mind.

The good news is that you can upgrade another, regular weapon beside it without the two sharing Titanite Shards with each other. For example, you could try to look for a weapon that does the things Astora's Straight Sword can't. If the latter has good single-target pokes, you could for example invest in a weapon with wide, horizontal sweeps to deal with mobs of enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Would the katana that the undead merchant drops be a good second weapon to match with the ASS? Is it worth pumping more souls into my Strength stat to finally wield the zweihander as my second option? I need 25 STR but I'm at like...19 right now, I think, and I'd rather pump up a few other things right now if I can.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Would the katana that the undead merchant drops be a good second weapon to match with the ASS? Is it worth pumping more souls into my Strength stat to finally wield the zweihander as my second option? I need 25 STR but I'm at like...19 right now, I think, and I'd rather pump up a few other things right now if I can.

You only need 16 strength to two hand the zweihander (two handing effectively increases your STR 50%), and two handed only with grass crest on your back is a great option and can stunlock really well

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Just two hand the zwei. Two handing gives 1.5x bonus so you don't need 24 str to use zwei just like 16 or 17 str unless you are going for some sort of quality build there's really no need to increase str if you have a lot of dex if your only increasing it to use the zwei. I would recommend using the zwei. It stun locks everything (including bosses)

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
sorry for jumping in with a question that can seem off topic. I got bloodborne from a friend and I never really tried it but recently I've been wanting to get into souls type games (mainly cause Sekiro looks fantastic) and I'm wondering where to start. I know these games are hard but which one has the easiest curve?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
sorry for jumping in with a question that can seem off topic. I got bloodborne from a friend and I never really tried it but recently I've been wanting to get into souls type games (mainly cause Sekiro looks fantastic) and I'm wondering where to start. I know these games are hard but which one has the easiest curve?

Probably Dark Souls 1.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Any major differences between the PS4 and pc version? I've heard the pc version is a pain

The original 2012 PC release (AKA Prepare to die edition) is a complete technical mess that was salvaged by the modding community.

The new PC release is basically the same as the PS4 version of Dark Souls Remastered and it's a vastly better version of that game and either should be fine.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
StrangeRoboMemory I wouldn't spend any more on str now. Two hand the zwei if you fancy a change, or stick with ASS.

Claymore is an excellent option too and uses different mats from ASS.

Get your dex and health to 40 if you can and spew out fireballs. Cast speed becomes tolerable at higher levels and some spells can one shot big monsters, making them easy. Being vague to avoid too many spoilers.

ZeroDS I've only played ds 1...watched a lot of DS3 and the fights seem a lot quicker, with tighter windows.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

If you go for the Undead Merchant drop, just be aware that you can't get Lloyd's Talismans (an item that prevents enemies health recovery) until just before the second boss of the DLC area.

If you like the Astora Straight Sword, just farm the knights guarding the main entrance to the church for the Balder Swag Sword. It's just that weapon but infinitely better.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
In general you want to use weapons that match your stats (or rather match your stats to the weapons you like). All weapons are viable in Souls, and if you want to use a big variety of weapons, go for a quality build (where you are leveling up both STR and DEX) and that way you will have a large choice of weapons AND get the most out of them in terms of damage bonus from stat scaling.

Divine weapons are kind of pointless unless you're a doing a faith build, they do magic damage that scales with your faith stat, so low faith = low damage.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I used a quality build in my first full playthrough of DS1R and yeah, I loved it because of you could pick up almost every weapon and immediately use it. Definitely a build I would recommend to beginners. Of course you have to dedicate yourself to certain weapons in terms of upgrades. But most upgrade items can be farmed with relative ease from what I remember, so at the end of the day I had a large selection of tools at my disposal. And even then I still occasionally used the Bandit's Knife I started the game with.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I was feeling sassy with my upgraded Balder Side Sword and upgraded Elite Knight armor, so I went back to the undead asylum to get some items and tried my luck again the Stray Demon...that thing is way too hard, I'll try again later. I'm dead within a minute from his fire magic blast. Right now I'm in the Depths and made it to the first bonfire - got the large Ember, which means I can buff my weapons past +5, right?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I was feeling sassy with my upgraded Balder Side Sword and upgraded Elite Knight armor, so I went back to the undead asylum to get some items and tried my luck again the Stray Demon...that thing is way too hard, I'll try again later. I'm dead within a minute from his fire magic blast. Right now I'm in the Depths and made it to the first bonfire - got the large Ember, which means I can buff my weapons past +5, right?
Yup! Just give it to Andre — he should automatically notice you have it and ask for it. I think you are given the choice to give it to him or not, but there is really no reason to withhold it. If a certain ember is incompatible with a certain blacksmith, they won't even accept it anyway.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I got cursed and it sux.
You're in the Depths? Very easy to solve, the merchant isn't far and you can just homeward bone back.
Often people who tank up on heavy armour say get hit by curse first go 'round, have a look at what other armour sets you have and switch out a piece to one that has higher curse resistance, even just one piece can make a difference. Having humanity also helps as it ups defense stats.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
You're in the Depths? Very easy to solve, the merchant isn't far and you can just homeward bone back.
Often people who tank up on heavy armour say get hit by curse first go 'round, have a look at what other armour sets you have and switch out a piece to one that has higher curse resistance, even just one piece can make a difference. Having humanity also helps as it ups defense stats.

I trudged back and bought a purging stone, got rid of the curse, and killed the gaping dragon. His first appearance is really intimidating, scared the shit out of me. He ruined a bunch of my weapons so I had to get everything repaired. Will weapon-decay enemy attacks continue to be a thing later on in the game? Is there a good way to prevent that? Will curses also keep being a problem? I also have the sinking feeling that there's going to some sort of level-drain enemy spell...does that exist?

One more question -- I summoned Solaire to help me fight the gaping dragon, but he died, then I died. When I went back, I couldn't summon him any longer. If a summon gets "vanquished", are they unable to help you again for that fight?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I trudged back and bought a purging stone, got rid of the curse, and killed the gaping dragon. His first appearance is really intimidating, scared the shit out of me. He ruined a bunch of my weapons so I had to get everything repaired. Will weapon-decay enemy attacks continue to be a thing later on in the game? Is there a good way to prevent that? Will curses also keep being a problem? I also have the sinking feeling that there's going to some sort of level-drain enemy spell...does that exist?

One more question -- I summoned Solaire to help me fight the gaping dragon, but he died, then I died. When I went back, I couldn't summon him any longer. If a summon gets "vanquished", are they unable to help you again for that fight?
You can summon him again, you just have to be in human form to see any of the signs (use a humanity and then select "reverse hollowing" at the bonfire)

EDIT: oh if you already killed the boss then you can't summon him again

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
1. Weapon degrading attacks, I can't really think of any more, I think there might be one but it's not coming to me, it's so rare to get all your stuff broken like that - there's a spell that can do it, but that's a pvp thing only, not something you see used very often either in my experience. Buy the repair box if you haven't already so you can repair at bonfires and a repair powder from the Undead Merchant in the Burg just in case as a portable repair option.

2. Curse pops up once or twice later on. Carry a purging stone with you just in case, but now you know the main enemy that does it, you know what to look out for. But again, it's literally a couple of times in the whole game, it's barely a thing. There is an enemy later on that drops purging stones too, and they will give you a clue as to when you might need one, you'll know when you're there.

3. No level-draining spells or attacks at all, you're safe there.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I had a day off today so I slogged through Blighttown, made it through the swamp, and killed the fire spider witch after three tries. Blighttown is a bit of a nightmare, I used the spider shield and had like 80 purple moss clumps, but it was still a poison festival...I went from 80 purple moss to 20. Extremely satisfying to be done with that area. Do I go up the elevator thing to get out of there?

Also, my pyromancy flame is at +15 - I found the witch who ascends my flame even further, but I won't have enough souls to ascend it all the way right now, unless I hang around the swamp and just grind out souls, which sounds very unpleasant. Whenever I want to upgrade my flame, I need to come all the way back through this hellhole? I heard that here's a point in the game where you can fast travel between bonfires...when is that?

As a pyromancer, should I join the Fair Lady's covenant? Is there any downside? How do I gain covenant levels?

Oh, and finally, I got "invaded" while in the swamp by some dude called XXXDarkGenji or something like that. We traded gestures for a bit and then he killed me with a flaming sword. Kind of funny but would also be annoying if I was trying to do something important and xxxDarkLord69xxx pops out and ganks me. Luckily I was near a bonfire so I just got all my souls back right away.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I had a day off today so I slogged through Blighttown, made it through the swamp, and killed the fire spider witch after three tries. Blighttown is a bit of a nightmare, I used the spider shield and had like 80 purple moss clumps, but it was still a poison festival...I went from 80 purple moss to 20. Extremely satisfying to be done with that area. Do I go up the elevator thing to get out of there?
Poison goes so slowly, it's not worth using a moss clump unless you know you're not going to be in the poison again, I would just Estus through it when needed if you're exploring for example.
The exit from Blighttown is the elevator wheel yes, that's the main way to go now. You can also explore for a bit in the Demon Ruins, but progress after that area is blocked until later in the game, but you can have a looksie now if you want a choice of where to go.

Also, my pyromancy flame is at +15 - I found the witch who ascends my flame even further, but I won't have enough souls to ascend it all the way right now, unless I hang around the swamp and just grind out souls, which sounds very unpleasant. Whenever I want to upgrade my flame, I need to come all the way back through this hellhole? I heard that here's a point in the game where you can fast travel between bonfires...when is that?
Fast travel is about halfway through the game, you still have a way to go, +15 flame will still wreck bosses, you can come back later to upgrade the flame with her, she does disappear eventually, but it's obvious which late game boss it is that her disappearance is tied to. It's a long way off.

As a pyromancer, should I join the Fair Lady's covenant? Is there any downside? How do I gain covenant levels?
You get a spell from the covenant so it's worth it for that, but you don't have to stay a member to use it. There's another benefit, but it's a bit useless on a first runthrough.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Smough and Ornstein are kicking my ass right now. It's so hard to separate them. The last few bosses have been pretty easy...this is a crazy jump in difficulty. Feels like the camera is my enemy here - I get backed into a corner and the camera goes wild as these guys teabag me. I'm using Uchigatana +10 and I have a bunch of pyromancer spells...is there a better weapon I can use here? I can't buff my stuff up any further...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Smough and Ornstein are kicking my ass right now. It's so hard to separate them. The last few bosses have been pretty easy...this is a crazy jump in difficulty. Feels like the camera is my enemy here - I get backed into a corner and the camera goes wild as these guys teabag me. I'm using Uchigatana +10 and I have a bunch of pyromancer spells...is there a better weapon I can use here? I can't buff my stuff up any further...
This sounds like you're locking on. I would say big enemies like this, and especially O&S work better without constant lock-on, you can use the camera manually and dodge more freely, it definately helps in the first phase a lot. Use the pillars to separate them also, bait whichever you want to kill first in to an attack and move around the pillar to get them away from each other.

No problems with your weapon, as long as you like the moveset that's all that matters, but you can upgrade your weapon further, which requires going back to an older area - method requires sequence breaking and would be a little spoilery. This isn't really needed as +10 is adequate to kill O&S, I'm just giving options. You can also buff your weapon with resin, gold pine or charcoal - iirc Smough is weak to lightning and Ornstein weak to fire (I think that's the right way around!)
A great shield can also come in handy if you're having trouble dodging their attacks. The Eagle Shield (found in Blighttown if you went through the front door from the Depths) is the lightest great shield and also wooden (high lightning defense).

Go back to New Londo Ruins, kill Ingward the NPC on top of the ghost house, use the key he gives you to drain the water and find the Very Large Ember in a chest to max weapons to +15