• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I need a tip for my date tomorrow, something i feel like i've bungled every time over the years. How are you supposed to greet a girl on a first date? My instinct on meeting new people is to shake hands which is way unromantic. Instinct for people i'm close to is to hug but that's also kind of awkward.

What do?

Girl seems into me though. Texted a few times today just over chatty stuff.
I always do hugs on the first meeting and they seem very enthusiastic about it. If you're really into each other kiss on the cheek.
A funny thing happened to me at the end of my first date with the current girl i'm dating. When we were about to say goodbye I reached for a handshake and she was like "Where you seriously about to shake my hand?". We had been making out for hours before that but I was so high I couldn't think straight lmao

Anyway it's been a week since our last date, let's hope my penis wants to cooperate with me this time.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Thanks all. I figured its' one of those cases where there's no "right" way to do it but there are probably plenty of wrong ways.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I always do hugs on the first meeting and they seem very enthusiastic about it. If you're really into each other kiss on the cheek.
A funny thing happened to me at the end of my first date with the current girl i'm dating. When we were about to say goodbye I reached for a handshake and she was like "Where you seriously about to shake my hand?". We had been making out for hours before that but I was so high I couldn't think straight lmao

Anyway it's been a week since our last date, let's hope my penis wants to cooperate with me this time.

I've never not hugged. Handshakes seem bizarre to me. I will say that I've never done the kiss on the cheek. But then, my experiences have skewed in all directions: I've had girls offer me their hand and I've obviously taken it. Those dates, as far as I can tell, haven't ever led to anything. To be honest, historically speaking, if we weren't making out or holding hands by midway through the date, things didn't bode well at all.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man I have no originality with first Tinder messages. Any suggestions that have worked for you guys and gals in breaking the ice and standing out with your opening message?

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
tenor.gif

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
if they are already sitting down just sit down and be excited. if they are standing and waiting a hug usually works unless they put hand out first.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Man I have no originality with first Tinder messages. Any suggestions that have worked for you guys and gals in breaking the ice and standing out with your opening message?
Honestly in my experience your message doesn't mean shit most of the time. If the girl doesn't find you attractive to her taste it won't really matter if you have the best message in the world. If she does find you attractive though you can literally send them a 5 word message and they'll still reply.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
First date greeting? Hug but only if it seems he's down (this will be a spit second thing).

Anyway, woman #2 texted me tonight about my Halloween! Good to see she's interested and starting convos with me. Can't wait for Thursday!

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Honestly in my experience your message doesn't mean shit most of the time. If the girl doesn't find you attractive to her taste it won't really matter if you have the best message in the world. If she does find you attractive though you can literally send them a 5 word message and they'll still reply.
This is basically true.

It doesn't matter how great the message is, if you're not attractive to the person you're messaging, you're out. But even if you are attractive to that person, you can DQ yourself based upon a shitty message.

I was being glib with my earlier message, but "I'm just here to find someone to go to Lovett or Leave It with me tbh" really WAS my ideal opener. It communicated a metric ton about me in one sentence. Hell, my current girl even said she had a "swipe right on Friends of the Pod" policy, so.

I'd be direct, pithy, brief, and typo-free.

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
This is basically true.

It doesn't matter how great the message is, if you're not attractive to the person you're messaging, you're out. But even if you are attractive to that person, you can DQ yourself based upon a shitty message.

I was being glib with my earlier message, but "I'm just here to find someone to go to Lovett or Leave It with me tbh" really WAS my ideal opener. It communicated a metric ton about me in one sentence. Hell, my current girl even said she had a "swipe right on Friends of the Pod" policy, so.

I'd be direct, pithy, brief, and typo-free.

The worst part, frankly, is seeing full message status on Plenty of Fish.
So many messages with a status of "Unread Deleted"
In that case, it doesn't even matter what you wrote, since it never got read.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I just got back from my 3rd date in 3 weeks with the same person. She's kissed me on the cheek after saying goodbye on these last 2 dates. She seems really excited for our next date. We've been planning a open-air car train ride since a bit after our 2nd date. That's going to be this Sunday. Should I greet her with a hug the next time we meet up?

I'm really bad at this dating thing. I've never been on a date with the same person more than once so this is all new territory for me.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Okay I just got back from my 3rd date in 3 weeks with the same person. She's kissed me on the cheek after saying goodbye on these last 2 dates. She seems really excited for our next date. We've been planning a open-air car train ride since a bit after our 2nd date. That's going to be this Sunday. Should I greet her with a hug the next time we meet up?

YES!

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aight so I'm still not in the whole dating thing, got this thing goin on with this one girl up here, like...I have basically given up Tinder type shit. It's weird to have some sort of emotions towards a person again. This girl is goofy, funny, and just chill.

I don't like the whole feeling thing

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm not good at dating or trying to. I'm bad at online dating and I'm cursed because this girl that I thought was into me at my work, she told me, we went on a date, it was good but then nothing. Less than a week after we couldn't do a second date. She posts a pic of her and this dude on Instagram. Nothing new for me, but it sucks. I just get ghosted even after I think the date went pretty good.

I should hit the gym and hope that I actually gain more confidence to find someone in person, hate the feeling of desperation. So I try to avoid it. Just that with all my luck, I should probably just expect it and if something turns out good.. good

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
So this girl just admitted to me that she used to be a "massive slut" her words not mine. Not sure if I want to keep on seeing her even though she makes me feel great. Anyways still got a great make out sesh out of this second date. I remember the past girl and I didn't even hold hands until the fourth date. I like this faster pace better, less time getting wasted.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this girl just admitted to me that she used to be a "massive slut" her words not mine. Not sure if I want to keep on seeing her even though she makes me feel great. Anyways still got a great make out sesh out of this second date. I remember the past girl and I didn't even hold hands until the fourth date. I like this faster pace better, less time getting wasted.
Does the slut thing bother you? Not judging just curious.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm not good at dating or trying to. I'm bad at online dating and I'm cursed because this girl that I thought was into me at my work, she told me, we went on a date, it was good but then nothing. Less than a week after we couldn't do a second date. She posts a pic of her and this dude on Instagram. Nothing new for me, but it sucks. I just get ghosted even after I think the date went pretty good.

I should hit the gym and hope that I actually gain more confidence to find someone in person, hate the feeling of desperation. So I try to avoid it. Just that with all my luck, I should probably just expect it and if something turns out good.. good

I think the best policy is never date coworkers or colleagues. Things could easily turn awkward at work.

My advice is to not judge your self-worth or sense of success in life based on whether or not you are dating. It's easy to see other couples around you and feel like you aren't doing something right or are less than them. But if you think that way, you life will be full of despair, envy, and other harmful emotions. I've never had a girlfriend and am a virgin, and it was hard when people laughed at me. Now that I changed my mindset, I'm still alone yet happy.

Hope things work out for you, but if they don't, don't let it influence your happiness.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the best policy is never date coworkers or colleagues. Things could easily turn awkward at work.

My advice is to not judge your self-worth or sense of success in life based on whether or not you are dating. It's easy to see other couples around you and feel like you aren't doing something right or are less than them. But if you think that way, you life will be full of despair, envy, and other harmful emotions. I've never had a girlfriend and am a virgin, and it was hard when people laughed at me. Now that I changed my mindset, I'm still alone yet happy.

Hope things work out for you, but if they don't, don't let it influence your happiness.
Thanks for the advice, just that it really sucks that you think you like each other, talk for a long time only to end up stop talking to each other. In some cases, just say that you rather be friends instead of not talking. Especially when a week later she moved on, what a shit way to find out. Wish people were honest

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the advice, just that it really sucks that you think you like each other, talk for a long time only to end up stop talking to each other. In some cases, just say that you rather be friends instead of not talking. Especially when a week later she moved on, what a shit way to find out. Wish people were honest

I used to think exactly that way too until I remembered the few times I had turned down ladies and used excuses instead of saying I didn't like them or wasn't interested, and ghosted almost all of them because it felt awkward. Then I decided that nobody owes me an explanation either.

Oct 25, 2017
China

You only had ONE date, you over-invested.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I don't even know why to be honest, maybe because she has a ton more experience than me.
I had the same happen to me when I first dated my first college girlfriend. I was inexperienced so it was literally all new experiences for me with her. But I never told her or talked to her about it and I feel like I should have. It wouldn't have stopped our break up but it might have made her more tolerable (she was selfish and rude as fuck tbh but that had little to do with her sexual history).

Anyway point is. Maybe it's worth it to try but you have to be willing to talk to her honestly and politely about it. Express your feelings and worries and let her explain things. But if you're really more comfortable with someone else your own speed then by all means try that as well. It's your life and you know best.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Never invest so early on otherwise each unsuccessful encounter will leave you feeling pretty negative. Also, if you are trying to queue up multiple dates over a shorter time span it's easier to avoid a sense of investment IMO.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So i have a restaurant and have this costumer, she's working in the bank in front of my workplace and we always have really nice talks, she even ask me to join her in the table and things like that, and when i go to the bank she makes sure to see me and talk to me. And oh, she's always touching me (arms and etc) and i pretty sure she give hints about going on a date.
Thing is, if things go south i will lose a costumer and a friend, should i ask her out? I think she is very beautiful and really hot, a very nice person and is 2 years olden than me.
And people always says im good looking and things like that but i really dont think im. I not sure how to approach her on this matter.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Greeting + snarky comment, compliment or a question.

Do not waste your time with this. Either she is interested or she isn't and what you write is unlikely to change that.

Focus on making sure all your pictures are interesting and well taken. Also make sure your bio is short and well written.

And remember not to take the app too seriously. Speaking from experience here. Many people both guys and girls use it just to burn time and aren't seriously looking to go on dates. It takes a lot of will power for many people to meet a stranger from an app.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Greeting + snarky comment, compliment or a question.

Do not waste your time with this. Either she is interested or she isn't and what you write is unlikely to change that.

Focus on making sure all your pictures are interesting and well taken. Also make sure your bio is short and well written.

And remember not to take the app too seriously. Speaking from experience here. Many people both guys and girls use it just to burn time and aren't seriously looking to go on dates. It takes a lot of will power for many people to meet a stranger from an app.

Hmm I will work on this. I get several matches a day but it never really moves past to setting anything up cause I just lose all interest trying to make just enough small chat to get a date setup.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I will work on this. I get several matches a day but it never really moves past to setting anything up cause I just lose all interest trying to make just enough small chat to get a date setup.
Honestly, I initially spent a lot of time worried about opening lines on those apps and trying to be funny and all that. Eventually I just said screw it and my go-to line was "Hey, [comment on something about their profile - maybe a film they mentioned or something]. Would you like to go out for coffee/drinks (pick one, don't actually write both) with me sometime?"

I was averaging about 3 dates a week after that. If I felt particularly suave I chopped off the first bit and just went "Hey, do you want to go out for coffee with me sometime?" Once in a while they'd respond that they wanted to chat a bit first before meeting up, and that was fine. At that point I'd just start talking about something I'd done recently or ask about something in their profile that I was interested in.

It really doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From my experience keeping the conversation on tinder is usually boring and uneventful. I think it's best to ask for a snapchat or number to txt on whatsapp after you touch base on tinder. Feels more real.

Has anyone actually set something up through tinder itself? I've always asked to go over to another more serious app and if the person wasn't interested I would just move on. Found this to be a pretty good dipstick for someone who is actually interested in you and that more often than not most girls were fine with at least chatting on Snapchat or whatsapp.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys I legit think I might be going on a date with "crazy" later.
So I met this girl on Tinder, hit it off right away.
We talk on facebook for a few days, really good connection. I ask her out this weekend she can't so she says alright next week friday. All is good.

*** At this point I got quite high and went longboarding***

I get back home check my phone, she sent like 5 messages in a row without me responding.
All of a sudden she drops hint that she's free tomorrow night because her friend cancelled on her (which is today at this point, a holiday here in Belgium).
Now I don't know if it was high me or something but that looks awfully much like she couldn't wait a week and cancelled on her buddy right? :p Or she's just really excited because we hit it off? I dunno

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Yes and I don't even know why to be honest, maybe because she has a ton more experience than me.

That's something you can work around.

The expectations on men and women are unfairly different for sexuality. Women sleeping with men are slutty but men sleeping with women are cool and being men. See if sociatals expectations are playing into your feelings. You two appear to be a great fit don't let society's expectations affect that.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I was with a way more experienced girl this weekend and it was great. She was not at all afraid to tell me what she liked and she did a lot of things that made me go crazy for her. Once she realized I was not that experienced she was very patient with me and tried to make me relax and worry less.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
From my experience keeping the conversation on tinder is usually boring and uneventful. I think it's best to ask for a snapchat or number to txt on whatsapp after you touch base on tinder. Feels more real.

Has anyone actually set something up through tinder itself? I've always asked to go over to another more serious app and if the person wasn't interested I would just move on. Found this to be a pretty good dipstick for someone who is actually interested in you and that more often than not most girls were fine with at least chatting on Snapchat or whatsapp.

I set up 1-2 dates on tinder before. It's not the best imo

Shal

Oct 27, 2017
I was a long time lurker on the thread of the other forum so I kind of know a little about some posters here, I always wanted to read your opinion to my problems but I couldnt post (I was banned ><) so Im gonna rant here a bit I need to let it out lol

To the point and TLDR:
Any tips on how to deal with insecurity regarding serious(and non serious) relationships and the loneliness that comes with avoiding them?

Context (wall of text sorry, im kind of venting here as well):

I am 25, male, and have never been on a serious relationship before, Ive hooked up A LOT though (I use to go to clubs a lot), I do fine with women I guess but Im very insecure (even though you might not be able to tell if you saw me at the clubs lol).

When I was a child my parents would constantly fight (not physical from what I can remember), my mom would cheat on my dad a lot (I didnt know about this until I was more mature and found out this was the root cause of everything, I dont know if my father cheated back though) and well they divorced when I was like 10 and their relationship has been very bad even until the present. After the break up I would barely see my father (I live with my mom), like 2-3 times a year at times and I remember that in one of my birthdays (I was like 12 or so) he didnt even call me or anything and well that obviously affected me even though I kind of "shoved it under the carpet" at the time (I think, because I have blurry memories from my childhood and I dont really remember much) and didnt make a big deal out of it (for the record, even now I dont value my birthday much, I dont like celebrating it if that says something to you).

I believe my past experience from watching my parents relationship fail miserably made me develop commitment and insecurity issues, Ive experienced personally what a failed relationship can do (abandonment from parent and related issues which clearly affected my personality, behavior and thoughts).

I've had fair number of chances to get in a relationship with some women Ive met, but after I notice that things are getting serious I would usually take distance from them and fade away slowly even though I liked them at the time.

I believe I'm scared to get in a serious relationship with someone for them to dump me later because they found someone "better", I have hobbies I consider "boring" for a potential couple (gaming, reading on the internet and gym) and it doesnt help that im not too confident in my sex game in terms of endurance (I try hard though, but theres so much I can do right now).

Thing is, I've been hanging out with someone I met in a club in mid september or so (which is like the second time Ive been seeing the same person for this long), we see each other usually at weekends only though because of time constrains (+ Im too comfortable in my house doing nothing during the week tbh, Im kind of lazy which I know is not good but cant help it right now), Ive slept at her flat like last 4 saturdays, we talk a lot and Im kinda feeling like this is developing to something more serious. I like her but im still scared to try for something serious.

I admit im really insecure towards fidelity in relationships, im scared to give my all to someone and then get stabbed in the back to the point that I run away from relationships and dont even try, and well that have made me very lonely the past years (+ I dont have many friends, I barely see my father, etc), to cope with that I went a lot to clubs (previous to meeting her) and hooked up a lot but after some time I was still lonely and I understood that momentary romance is not a fix for that.

I would like to experience what is like to be in a serious relationship but im really insecure towards that. In my mind I would never cheat on my couple, I would prefer to break up before cheating but I dont know If that would be reciprocated obviously. I know that cheating is very easy, my experience in clubs have taught me that lol, and that actually feeds more to my insecurity and makes it harder for me to consider a serious relationship. Theres also the fact that I wouldnt want to be a controlling person in a relationship, I would like my partner to do whatever she wants without me deciding anything but I understand that insecurity can lead to controlling behavior and I dont really want that.

What would you advice me to do to get a handle of this insecurity and loneliness?

(BTW Like a year ago, for some months, I went to a psychologist for something not related to this but we ended up reaching this insecurity, which was a root issue for a lot of things in my life, I understood more about myself thanks to the sessions but I didnt feel like i made much progress since the understanding, it was everything too vague for my liking so I stopped going after a while.)

I hope I made sense, english is not my main language so im sorry if some wording seems weird. I mostly wanted to vent, I know this might be ignored because of the length (I tried hard to make it short but also wanted to let out lol) but if someone could advice me i would appreciate it, thanks and have a nice day.

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
To the poster above, you need therapy.

I'm glad you went to someone before; try another provider that might help you deal with these issues better.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I second the above suggestion.

You need to work your way through this with a trained professional.

Shal

Oct 27, 2017
To the poster above, you need therapy.

I'm glad you went to someone before; try another provider that might help you deal with these issues better.

Yeah I had the sensation I should try another therapy. Problem is the last one I went with left me with a feeling that therapys are really "vague" and its always up to my way of dealing with things, so I figured I could do that alone and I have been doing it (I have actually improved a lot in terms of confidence, theres still way to go though) but well hearing points of view from other people is always nice, sucks that its so expensive though lol.

Edit:
I second the above suggestion.

You need to work your way through this with a trained professional.

I guess I will see how it goes ><

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is the dating thread but I dont know what to say to break up with my GF, she pretty much know i'm done with her since I dont even text her anymore, I use to text her every day, even tho she didnt text me everyday, but I dont want to do it over text.

After the crap she pulled 2 weeks ago i'm done, might just meet her at her apartment and freestyle it.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Yeah I had the sensation I should try another therapy. Problem is the last one I went with left me with a feeling that therapys are really "vague" and its always up to my way of dealing with things, so I figured I could do that alone and I have been doing it (I have actually improved a lot in terms of confidence, theres still way to go though) but well hearing points of view from other people is always nice, sucks that its so expensive though lol.

Edit:

I guess I will see how it goes ><

I go to a psychiatrist. Each one is different and good ones would ask you if you could see the therapy with them working for you.