• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017

They had to lay off many people before, but now it's confirmed that the company is done.

I wasn't a huge Drawn to Death fan, but I appreciated his doing something different, and I feel badly for his coworkers/friends at the company.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Wishing all the best to David and all his coworkers.
I hope he manages to create a hit soon, he seems like a great guy.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm sorry for the people who lost their jobs. David Jaffe's time might be over, but his contribution should not be forgotten. Drawn to death was dull and basic as a master system arcade game tho.

RABicle

Banned
Feb 18, 2018
Western Australia
Sounds like a familiar story.
https://pietriots.com/2012/02/07/breaking-news-david-jaffe-is-scum/
So anyway, after negotiating with Sony, Jaffe scored the license to make a Twisted Metal branded game again! Hooray! And after almost five years of painstaking development and after receiving a day one patch a month after Jaffe criticised games that ship unfinished, Jaffe has celebrated by walking out on the company and shooting the eight guys who stood between him and the door. Presumably, they were the eight who were familiar with PlayStation 3 hardware because Eat Sleep Play announced they'll be focusing on mobile games from now on.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Really sad to hear.
I don't think they had many people left after the lay off's and they were having trouble getting another project off the ground.

RABicle

Banned
Feb 18, 2018
Western Australia
It's possible Jaffe hurt him.
https://pietriots.com/2012/02/07/breaking-news-david-jaffe-is-scum/#comment-3468
that comment said:
I worked with Dave Jaffe on Twisted Metal PS3 for 4 years of my life that I will never get back, and listen, he IS a completely worthless hack! He DID work on God of War, but that Sony team refused to work with him again and therefore he was removed from the franchise. He will NEVER work on a GoW game again. His ideas were not the ideas that made GoW good and he was fought by the development team at every turn. To Sony Santamonica's credit they somehow muted Jaffe enough to make GoW a decent franchise. Likewise on TM PS3 his ideas were always the ideas we wasted tons of precious time on and those ideas NEVER amounted to anything but wasted effort. Meanwhile, yes, nearly half of the developers on TM PS3 lost their jobs 2 weeks before the game hit store shelves – I wasn't on the chopping block by the way, I left the studio before shit hit the fan. Those really talented, hard working, GOOD people lost their jobs so that this dirt-bag could take all the credit and make a ton of money. Dave Jaffe is very popular with soda-slurping fans, and ironically I understand that; he seems real, he seems like a fan himself… the reason is he IS a soda slurping fan who somehow snuck into the back door and installed himself as a respectable game designer. He has no more business designing games than any other basement-dwelling, cheese-fry-eating gamer. What a shameless self-promoting piece of shit.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate for everyone involved.
I hope Jaffe lands somewhere he can continue making games though.

myfatdad

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
User has been warned: Spam. This GIF of Bosman beating it seems random and meaningless considering the context of the thread.
giphy.gif

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Really sad news. Hope everyone lands on their feet. And I hope one day Jaffe can manage to make another hit, it feels like it's been awhile since he made something that was universally loved.

tbyte64

Dec 30, 2017
I'm sorry for the people who lost their jobs. David Jaffe's time might be over, but his contribution should not be forgotten. Drawn to death was dull and basic as a master system arcade game tho.
I'll not have you besmirch the Master System's good name by comparing it to Drawn to Death.

Oct 30, 2017
Bring him back to make Twisted Metal.

The IP has huge potential with the focus on online gaming and battle royal.

Just make it more like Twisted Metal 2, bring back classic stages and vehicles.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
Man i feel sorry for ppl who lost there jobs. I really didn't enjoy drawn to death but he did make my favourite God of War game and for that I am forever thankful.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Artistically cool but a F2P shooter like this was the wrong move.

Go back to action adventure Jaffe.

Hope everyone lands on their feet.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
WTF is wrong with some of you people? People lost their jobs and all you're interested in is shitting on Jaffe. This isn't the place for cheap insults or rants from disgruntled ex-employees.

Hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

The strange thing about the page is it omits God of War from his resume and includes Twisted Metal 3 and 4, which he wasn't involved in.

I don't even know who that guy is, but that article is really, really bad.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Time to go back to the Mother ship, David...

You and Barlog, a team each? Maybe they can ship more than one game next-gen.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Poor guys.
Hope they land on their feet.

I hope Sony scoop Jaffe up again. I really want him to make another AAA action/adventure game.

Wish i was lucky enough to get that Kratos statue :(

Oct 27, 2017
WTF is wrong with some of you people? People lost their jobs and all you're interested in is shitting on Jaffe.

Perhaps it is time to discuss Jaffe and re-evaluate his achievements in the light of two mediocre games which took 10 years to build. If you want to wish good luck to the employees, you are free to do so. However, the loss of jobs isn't the force of nature, it is a clear consequence of the quality of their collective work which was absolutely terrible if we are talking about Drawn to Death.

If 20 construction workers build a house which collapses, you don't just say good luck to the people who build the house on other projects, it is perfectly reasonable to debate why and how it happened. Was it the architect? Were the workers unqualified for the job? Did they run out of resources for the bearing walls?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember at the beggining of God of War craze in the ps2, some people in the forum that I used to visit were calling jaffe "Sony's Miyamoto" is incredible how much has he fallen after that era

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, this thread made me realize that I'm blocked on twitter by Jaffe and I have never ever interacted with him. Weird.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hopefully the people that worked there will transition to other places smoothly. Drawn to Death was really fun but it had balancing issues and the focus on the online multiplayer was quite a shame. I had a lot of fun playing through that one tutorial stage, I honestly think that if the game had a singleplayer 4-6 hour mode full of that insane over the top action and crass humor it would've been much more popular.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps it is time to discuss Jaffe and re-evaluate his achievements in the light of two mediocre games which took 10 years to build. If you want to wish good luck to the employees, you are free to do so. However, the loss of jobs isn't the force of nature, it is a clear consequence of the quality of their collective work which was absolutely terrible if we are talking about Drawn to Death.

If 20 construction workers build a house which collapses, you don't just say good luck to the people who build the house on other projects, it is perfectly reasonable to debate why and how it happened. Was it the architect? Were the workers unqualified for the job? Did they run out of resources for the bearing walls?
If you want to have that discussion, make a thread. This isn't the fucking place for it.

Oh and comparing building a house to making a game is utterly absurd.

Iceman83

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'd love a Twisted Metal 2 remaster. A legitimate, true game made by someone who loves the franchise and where it came from. TM PS3 was a good game, but a bad Twisted Metal game.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Aw, that's too bad. I hope everyone lands on their feet and that Jaffe will go on to make something that connects with audiences again. Best luck to everyone affected by this.

I'm guessing this means we'll have an announcement for Drawn to Death shutting down real soon then?

It seems like Jaffe has had a knack for making games that no one but himself wants to play since he left Sony. Even the Twisted Metal revival that he worked on had little love for it.

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to have that discussion, make a thread. This isn't the fucking place for it.

Oh and comparing building a house to making a game is utterly absurd.

How about you make a thread if you want to write your feels about employees losing jobs in the safe space, there is nothing in the thread which suggests that I shouldn't discuss why the studio failed.

Please tell me how there should be no accountability for game developers, I would like to hear other jobs where projects just lose multi-millions investments, but employees are never at fault.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
It says a lot when Calling All Cars is Jaffe's best game since God of War. I dont hate Twisted Metal PS3 but the online was a mess.

Hes one of those devs whos most defining game is old as hell and all their future endeavors never reach that peak. Kind of like Warren Spector.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Not happening. Jaffe is done with AAA games.
Wasn't there mention of conversations with Santa Monica before Barlog even came back with Jaffe?

They're wrapping up GoW, it'll be hitting cert in a couple of weeks presumably. Vacations, then it's time to start working on the first PS5 title, and they're going to really want to make sure they get two out next-gen, presumably one of them to be a new IP.

I think like anything, stars need to align just right, and it looks like it might.

Part of Jaffe's issue with AAA development was financial. He didn't feel like it was worth the social cost of not seeing his kids for the money he was making. Going solo can't have been making him that much more given the performance of those titles and the fate of those studios, and presumably given GoW was thirteen years ago, those children are now adults.

I could see him coming back, and I'd like to, but who knows.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah but why did they decide to make something like Drawn to Death in the frist place? This had guaranteed failure written all over it from the very beginning.

If the gameplay were tighter, I think it could have found a bigger niche in the market. It looked a lot different and fresh to me, a different take on arena shooters.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Let's see if any stories show up from ex-employees who have things to say about how David Jaffe ran the studio. They weren't particularly kind last time around.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He called Calling all cars! a mistake, his best work and the only thing I ever bought from them. :)
MP was ace.