• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My perception of this game has been super up and down. Really disliked how the devs presented it for that Game Informer coverage. Everything since has been mostly trending up. I think the setting looks beautiful and there's potential for a lot of creativity in the gameplay. I still don't love the story premise or character background based on the little we know about both. The delays are hopefully only a good thing for the finished product and not because the game has had a messy development.

There is a good chance Days Gone is 2019's Horizon Zero Dawn even if it is outwardly less unique. If it controls well and has a moderately engaging story it should do fine.

Feb 10, 2018
Time and money? DG has a date, those other games dont. The whole point was the games you named (for comparisons) was unfair. Why? Cause you cant name a game that looks better than TLOU:P2 or Cyberpunk... so.. your nitpicks dont have much merit.

Ok, you're not excited about the game, but it seemed as you were excited about telling people you weren't excited about it. Nobody cares if you like the game or not. I just hate contaminated boards where nobody can genuinely talk about the game without sifting through a bunch ridiculous comments only for them to come to the conclusion they didn't even care about it in the first place.

I think it does a fair amount of different things in their open world, it just doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be a great game; something I used to say often with Horizon.

Yeah but the reasons those games(and others) get me excited is not solely because of graphics.
Days gone has excellent graphics. So what you say makes no sense.
Yes... Time and money, all paid games compete for your time and money!
This is not a hard concept to understand, but you seem to be having trouble with it, oh dear.
You don't care if people have criticism about a games? That seems like your trying to shut down conversation.
Debate boards are not just opinions which you agree with lol.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I love how divisive this game is on ERA. Me personally believes this will be a huge hit, just watch the Sony spree of good titles, its their next Third Person game, everything just screams sells.

I would easily see a game like Detroit being a way bigger flop pre-release... This game has zombies, open world, high budget and production, is coming from one of the hottest publishers. Says it all lol.

Also - from a game that will flop / be a bust, its interesting that it garners over 700 comments and 15 pages from an article of being most anticipated from a PS site lol

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
If I'm remembering correctly, a lot of people picked Days Gone as their biggest flop of 2019 on this forum. Yeah, I don't know about that.

Must admit I was one of those actually. To be honest it took me seeing a whole lot more about the game to change my mind on that. Watched to full 2 hr game informer thing (purely on a bored whim as I wasn't at all interested tbh) and now I'm personally looking forward to it and more confident it will find some measure of success. Hope it will do really well for Bend.

You see it's potential if you understand what it's going for underneath it's derivative albeit rather well done surface presentation. Because yeah it's SoA x WD, but I'm hard burnt out on both of those haha, and I'm now interested in spite of that.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm excited for it myself I don't understand why so many people are down on it, I think it's gonna score around 85 meta and sell way better than expected.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I REALLY hope they fix the level of jank in the game, I am interested but it doesn't feel "tight"

JK-Money

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When and where did you play it?
you can see the jank in the animation, the way the character runs, the way he swings his weapon and hits opponents etc. the animation for the character isnt tight and lacks a level of impact that most games this generation have nailed.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
you can see the jank in the animation, the way the character runs, the way he swings his weapon and hits opponents etc. the animation for the character isnt tight and lacks a level of impact that most games this generation have nailed.

I guess everything is called "jank" nowadays.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
This is going to be this year's niche-man. Era really are off-base when it comes to mainstream games. People DGAF about "jank" and will buy stuff that looks fun to play and has violence in it. This is pitched square in the mainstream wheelhouse.

I'm looking forward to it and if it's not as fun as it looks then I'll pick it up a bit further down the line.

Feb 10, 2018
I've been watching footage of the game,
And I think the relaxed way they have shown off the game is not the best approach.
80% of the footage I've seen is the same crafting and killing zombie hordes.
It's to much, its not needed to show lots of this part of the game.
What I like the most about this game so far are the stealth sections against rival groups.

It's like showing loads and loads of horse riding and random shooting of RDR2 before release.
It's kinda odd they have shown off days gone the way they have done, it's different to the way God of war or spiderman was shown.
I think 5-10 min segments showing you cool segments, or RDR2 style vids are the best.
But when you show a lot of the same thing of any game it's going to look a bit repitive and boring.

If we had hours of cyberpunk just shooting stuff it would probably do the same.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
Start watching this at 45:00 min

and watch these to compare

Tell me you cant see a difference in animation, impact and jank

You do realize the footage 45 min in is a year and half old, right?

Also, side note, this TLOU and Uncharted 4 footage reminds me how much of a step up TLOU2's melee looks. I don't know what it is exactly about ND's past combat animation, but it's always had this kind of signature marionette look.

Last edited:

JK-Money

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do realize the footage 45 min in is nearly 2 years old, right?

Also, side note, this TLOU and Uncharted 4 footage reminds me how much of a step up TLOU2's melee looks. I don't know what it is exactly about ND's past combat animation, but it's always had this kind of signature marionette look.
Sure I can prob find new footage, but thats why my ORIGINAL post was saying I hope they got rid of some of the jank.....

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing to the best of the best. To a way smaller team that hasn't made a console game in 15 years im sure they'll take it as a compliment

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's kinda drawing with resident evil 2 for me now since the demo ended up being great. but hell yeah i'm excited for it. sons of anarchy meets the walking dead. a difficult, dynamic open world with the focused narrative of uncharted and a horde dynamic that looks fun to mess about with. sounds good to me.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've always been baffled why people are so adamant that Days Gone is going to suck. There has been nothing I've seen of the game that makes me think "oh my god that's bad" or anything even close. I feel like the worst thing you can level at it based on what we know so far is "ugh more zombies."

I bet this game will sell very well.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Comparing to the best of the best. To a way smaller team that hasn't made a console game in 15 years im sure they'll take it as a compliment
Are you gonna dismiss every critics for this game with the small studio\budget things??
I'm probably more hyped than you about the game and i hate shit like the protagonist is bland or we are tired of open world zombie games etc. in this forum, but some critics are legit or at least comprensible.
Tlou is an old gen game, expecting better (or on par) animations in a 2019 triple A title with a prominent melee\shooting part is not that crazy my friend.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you gonna dismiss every critics for this game with the small studio\budget things??
I'm probably more hyped than you about the game and i hate shit like the protagonist is bland or we are tired of open world zombie games etc. in this forum, but some critics are legit or at least comprensible.
Tlou is an old gen game, expecting better (or on par) animations in a 2019 triple A title with a prominent melee\shooting part is not that crazy my friend.
My point is why does tlou,rdr2,uncharted 4 have to be the bar to reach for every game. It's completely unreasonable so yes I will use that. Y'all just compare games to do it to belittle other games they not on that level it's simple

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fair to question how well it's going to run and there does appear to be some "jank" in the animations and running, but also don't think it's fair to compare an open world game with Naughty God animation.

I do wonder how well it will run on base PS4 compared to Pro.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I've been excited for it since E3 2015/16 whenever it was initially shown. Looked great and like a lot of fun.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I am just done with open world and zombies at this point in my life.

But I can see the appeal. It is very gameplay-focused.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
My point is why does tlou,rdr2,uncharted 4 have to be the bar to reach for every game. It's completely unreasonable so yes I will use that. Y'all just compare games to do it to belittle other games they not on that level it's simple
And what games represent a fair comparison to you? Something like state of decay 2? Because if you look closely, the melee and the shooting in that game are not soo much worst than days gone and the production value compared with the bend game are night and day...
Something like dying light maybe is a fair comparison? Because in that game the melee and shooting feeling is far better...
Max payne 2 on ps2 is fair enough? Another game with punchy shooting and good ragdoll.

Do i have to continue or you can already understand my point?

Even in the last video days gone has mediocre to bad melee and shooting compared with much smaller or older game...
And you really think that people who notice that are all haters? Even when you have a fanboy of the game in front of you that tells you the same exact things?

And Sorry if i pass for an aggressive dude it's not my intention at all but i want the game to be better than what it is right now even if i already preordered.
(Sorry for my english)

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Must admit I was one of those actually. To be honest it took me seeing a whole lot more about the game to change my mind on that. Watched to full 2 hr game informer thing (purely on a bored whim as I wasn't at all interested tbh) and now I'm personally looking forward to it and more confident it will find some measure of success. Hope it will do really well for Bend.

You see it's potential if you understand what it's going for underneath it's derivative albeit rather well done surface presentation. Because yeah it's SoA x WD, but I'm hard burnt out on both of those haha, and I'm now interested in spite of that.

So what was it that made you change your mind?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Start watching this at 45:00 min

and watch these to compare

Tell me you cant see a difference in animation, impact and jank

I see the difference in animation and impact, but for the love of god stop using the word jank for everything that's negative in your eyes. It's such a hype to use it on this site and most people don't even know what it means exactly. Everything is called jank nowadays because it's cool, I guess.

Anyway I don't think they're going for the in your face experience like TLoU does. And Bend is not Naughty Dog (actually, no studio is), so I don't care. Just give me a cool world to explore with zombie hordes and some nice loot systems. Oh and a good story would be nice.

JK-Money

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the difference in animation and impact, but for the love of god stop using the word jank for everything that's negative in your eyes. It's such a hype to use it on this site and most people don't even know what it means exactly. Everything is called jank nowadays because it's cool, I guess.

Anyway I don't think they're going for the in your face experience like TLoU does. And Bend is not Naughty Dog (actually, no studio is), so I don't care. Just give me a cool world to explore with zombie hordes and some nice loot systems. Oh and a good story would be nice.
I have no idea what you are talking about and the only time I have used the word was to describe this game and no others, to me thats what I feel it looks like which is why i hope they tighten it up, I want this game to succeed and I will buy it day one I just want to see a lil more progress made on it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
People are so hung up on comparing superficial things like animation to Naughty Dog's output. Doesn't matter that Uncharted 4's gameplay itself was puddle-shallow, I guess.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

JK-Money

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are so hung up on comparing superficial things like animation to Naughty Dog's output. Doesn't matter that Uncharted 4's gameplay itself was puddle-shallow, I guess.
I posted witcher and can find other examples where the combat doesnt feel floaty and lacks impact. Seriously lets just admit the issue is there not ignore it and say we hope it gets fixed and want better. No problem with wanting a little bit more.