• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how that 3 way vs 4 way holds will work. Online someone chooses 3 way vs 4 way? If there are no disadvantages for 3 way then no one will pick 4 way. Why guess 1/4 when you can guess 1/3? What will be the tournament standard? I don't like this at all. 3 way always dumbed down gameplay because it eliminated the mid kick-mid punch mixups.

Default will be 4 way, ranked will be 4 way, tournaments will be 4 way but if people want they can change to 3 way offline or make 3 way player lobbies if they find 4 way too complicated.

Would be my guess

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the new girl interests me enough to get hyped for this game since the only character i ever gave a shit about in the series is Leon and with his inclusion in the base roster looking bleak, i simply don't have interest otherwise. Already pissed that SCVI is excluding Yun/Hwang and won't be getting it until either are available as dlc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to get the game at launch, I'm waiting until there's a Complete Edition or until I know for sure that there isn't going to be one.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.dualshockers.com/dead-alive-6-new-female-character/

The sumo character people were asking for?
Edit: hmmm, fighting style that never appeared in any major fighting game series. So not sumo then, wonder what that is.
Sounds like the character could be like Mila too in terms of personality?

Why are they taking three weeks to release the full interview? That just seems like milking it for no real reason.

I still don't understand how that 3 way vs 4 way holds will work. Online someone chooses 3 way vs 4 way? If there are no disadvantages for 3 way then no one will pick 4 way. Why guess 1/4 when you can guess 1/3? What will be the tournament standard? I don't like this at all. 3 way always dumbed down gameplay because it eliminated the mid kick-mid punch mixups.

It makes sense to me. They're trying to appease the casual crowd with 3-way holds. A majority of the people who play are casuals, and most of them will not play ranked or in some cases even play online at all. They'll love the 3-way hold system.

Ranked will be restricted to 4-way, tournaments will be 4-way, and anyone who has competitive aspirations will play 4-way.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Could be an Ultimate edition like 5 had about a year or so later, maybe with tag mode and some new (and/or VF) characters.
I'm hoping different versions of games died with Rev2 and everything part of the base game is free while new characters are paid content spread through seasons, as with every other fighter these days (even taking the SFV: AE route and having a re-release be a relabeled package, yet ultimately be the same disc as the original version but with a DLC code to bring new players up to speed on past content would be more acceptable than splitting the userbase with new SKUs that make old copies obsolete).

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they taking three weeks to release the full interview? That just seems like milking it for no real reason.
I just said the same thing elsewhere. Total bollocks.

I can see some benefits to having both hold systems in place too, since I could knock it down to 3-way when playing locally with my casual mates. Will just use 4-way most other times tho.

I'm hoping different versions of games died with Rev2 and everything part of the base game is free while new characters are paid content spread through seasons, as with every other fighter these days (even taking the SFV: AE route and having a re-release be a relabeled package, yet ultimately be the same disc as the original version but with a DLC code to bring new players up to speed on past content would be more acceptable than splitting the userbase with new SKUs that make old copies obsolete).
I don't think an Ultimate edition would be splitting the userbase if they do like DOA5, which automatically updated to Ultimate anyway. The only difference with releasing the Ultimate version therefore, was to add in some new characters and an extra mode or two (team battle for sure was added). They could definitely use a potential 6U as a similar update to SFVAE tho, I agree, where vanilla players can still purchase or get the additions for free or paying through passes.

I doubt they will be running a character pass tho, or we likely would have heard of that by now.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
That is exactly what they are doing and they have been operating like this for quite a while. This is why I will wait for a demo to test things out for myself. I will not go through this drawn out drip feed of info. I wish people would not pay this any mind to force them to release info in a better way.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he acknowledged and said he'd talk to the team back in Japan.

I hope it's still not too late to actually rework the models. :) Thanks again for bringing it to his attention.

By the way, how would you compare DOA6 to Soul Calibur 6 and Tekken 7 graphically?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think an Ultimate edition would be splitting the userbase if they do like DOA5, which automatically updated to Ultimate anyway. The only difference with releasing the Ultimate version therefore, was to add in some new characters and an extra mode or two (team battle for sure was added). They could definitely use a potential 6U as a similar update to SFVAE tho, I agree, where vanilla players can still purchase or get the additions for free or paying through passes.

I doubt they will be running a character pass tho, or we likely would have heard of that by now.
At the very least, there definitely aren't any concrete plans for how they will do things as of yet. Also taken from that Destructoid article:

Whether or not Dead or Alive 6 will follow in the DLC footsteps of Last Round remains to be seen. Shimbori told me nothing has been decided yet about post-release support or if the game will go with a single SKU that's constantly updated, so the player base isn't fractured with new editions.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair they wouldn't say "yeah we got an ultimate edition" releasing next year.
True. Even if they knew well in advance that they wouldn't be taking a more sensible route, "yes, yes, go buy the beta testers' version before you have to buy the game again, suckers" isn't the answer they would give.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can we at least get some dong physics in DOA6??? I don't understand why we have butt jiggle and boob physics but no bouncing junk.

Do you know what the actual equivalent to chest and butt physics of female characters would be? It would be chest and butt physics of male characters. ;)
I have no idea why so often physics of secondary sexual characteristics are equated to physics of primary sexual characteristics, such as genitalia.

Jan 11, 2018
Do you know what the actual equivalent to chest and butt physics of female characters would be? It would be chest and butt physics of male characters. ;)
I have no idea why so often physics of secondary sexual characteristics are equated to physics of primary sexual characteristics, such as genitalia.

No. Society views male and female bodies differently. There is nothing that can jiggle "down there" for women, so naturally a camel toe isn't viewed in the same way as a bulge by those who are attracted to it. If it was all about comparing the anatomic equivalents, all women would be topless at the beach and men would not care to look.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No. Society views male and female bodies differently. There is nothing that can jiggle "down there" for women, so naturally a camel toe isn't viewed in the same way as a bulge by those who are attracted to it. If it was all about comparing the anatomic equivalents, all women would be topless at the beach and men would not care to look.

Here in Europe you see topless woman at the beach, or lake, or in the park, or they are breastfeeding their babies in the middle of the city and others spare it no second look. Also in the media you see topless women all the time and at any time.

Anyway, we weren't talking about bare chests, but their physics.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Can we at least get some dong physics in DOA6??? I don't understand why we have butt jiggle and boob physics but no bouncing junk. While we are discussing this, do guys asses jiggle?
Same reason why you don't see mousepads with Rig or Bayman on them in the JP special edition: they know their market.
It's a comparison that's never made sense.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had like 800 hours on doax3 and i hope they will continue that series. They already make nioh 2, no need for gaiden 4 except they make ayane as main heroine

Jadeinchains

Apr 30, 2018
Same, doax3 was my first game I played in the side series and I actually really loved it so I'd be happy to eventually see doax4.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
If the amount of money they make out of it funds their other projects, by all means keep doing it. Needs way more substance tho. Series has got worse with each iteration.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's still not too late to actually rework the models. :) Thanks again for bringing it to his attention.

By the way, how would you compare DOA6 to Soul Calibur 6 and Tekken 7 graphically?

DOA6 is definitely a step above SC6 graphically. I think if Tekken 7 and DOA6 shared the same art style, they would be pretty similar graphically. DOA6 might have a slight edge in character models, but I think Tekken has more detail in the backgrounds.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Rare Bayman fanart

Doax4 next please KT

Wonder what it could be used for.
Nioh 2 seems to be a quick iteration on the same engine, Gust/Nobunaga/Ruby/etc won't use this engine, Musou is back to using the old engine...
Seems like it'd be more an engine for TN's projects in the future rather than KT overall. So next action games (Nioh 3 / NG 4 / whatever), spinoffs, and the new IPs they're in charge of like Fatal Frame, Deception, Monster Rancher...

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
New interview from Shoryuken
  • DOA6 in dev since around 2 years ago
  • sidestep changed after feedback from players
  • Diego was an idea from Tom Lee
  • Phase 4 wasn't planned for the game at first but felt like she'd be a fun DLC character later on
  • Nyotengu was due to over budget and dev time but they really wanted her in
  • they're still discussing which kind of business model to use in terms of season pass and dlc for characters and costumes
  • they understand there has been a lot of misunderstandings around the reveal of the game and trying to fix that
Not rare if you know where to look.
Rare SFW? :p
Rare compared to the girls anyway (and Hayabusa).

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
New interview from Shoryuken
  • DOA6 in dev since around 2 years ago
  • sidestep changed after feedback from players
  • Diego was an idea from Tom Lee
  • Phase 4 wasn't planned for the game at first but felt like she'd be a fun DLC character later on
  • they're still discussing which kind of business model to use in terms of season pass and dlc for characters and costumes
  • they understand there has been a lot of misunderstandings around the reveal of the game and trying to fix that

Rare SFW? :p
Rare compared to the girls anyway (and Hayabusa).
You never said SFW. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And anything is "rare" if you compare it to the female characters. The straights are everywhere.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Well kudos to TN in regards to Nyotengu. Same situation as Tira if you believe Bamco's words about her being a late addition except in TN case they decided to also make her a bonus and not just dlc

Seems like they really don't know what exactly to do dlc wise and how to handle future dlc

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
sidestep changed after feedback from players
I wish it was still the normal way...

Still weird that double the amount of day 1 DLC characters had none of the backlash SC6 got. I guess less people care about this game, but still. At least people have calmed down about that already.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Still weird that double the amount of day 1 DLC characters had none of the backlash SC6 got. I guess less people care about this game, but still. At least people have calmed down about that already.

Nyotengu is a preorder bonus. If Tira had been the same the reception would have been different to her.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
DOA6 is definitely a step above SC6 graphically. I think if Tekken 7 and DOA6 shared the same art style, they would be pretty similar graphically. DOA6 might have a slight edge in character models, but I think Tekken has more detail in the backgrounds.

DOA6 and Tekken 7 imo have a very similar art style/look. Hyperrealism influenced by an anime aesthetic. It's just that Tekken 7's characters look much cruder, less detailed and polished. This quick comparison I did is imo very revealing of the model quality difference:

tda19r690v1976szg.jpg

So I wouldn't call it a slight edge but a rather big one. ;) From what I've seen I have to agree though that Tekken 7 (and Soul Calibur 6) have the more detailed stages. I don't see a generational leap at all from DOA5 to DOA6 in that regard.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

What do you call the normal way? It's basically executed the same as it was in DOA5.

DOA6 and Tekken 7 imo have a very similar art style/look. Hyperrealism influenced by an anime aesthetic. It's just that Tekken 7's characters look much cruder, less detailed and polished. This quick comparison I did is imo very revealing of the model quality difference:

tda19r690v1976szg.jpg

So I wouldn't call it a slight edge but a rather big one. ;) From what I've seen I have to agree though that Tekken 7 (and Soul Calibur 6) have the more detailed stages. I don't see a generational leap at all from DOA5 to DOA6 in that regard.

Remove the dark shading from Lucky and I don't think there's a huge difference. But you also have to factor in the age of Tekken 7 compared to DOA6 being a brand new game.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
What do you call the normal way? It's basically executed the same as it was in DOA5.
Wait I didn't see the very old news! I remember the original build had no regular sidestep. I didn't see that the Evo build had a regular sidestep. I was confused and thought they meant the change to attack sidestep was a response to fans.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Tekken character model quality is all over the place plus the customization options pretty much affects too making it look cheap at times.