• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
You are awesome! :) Showing is better than just telling. So did he realize/acknowledge they were in fact missing?

Yeah, he acknowledged and said he'd talk to the team back in Japan.

That was a good and enjoyable article, good that it has more guaranteed attacks now than in 5 and the guessing has been reduced to 1 more attack.

Thanks, DrDogg!

You can still do long combos that extend the stun several times if you really want to, but I imagine most competitive players will just stun once and go for something that leads to an unholdable stun for the guaranteed damage. Sitdown stuns are especially powerful now that you can't Slow Escape to avoid guaranteed follow-ups.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i hate that people are still trying to force outrage over "ANTI SJWs" for this game. People go on about the development team's vision and no censorship of their intent until its something they want to try and do that you specifically dont want, then its not okay. Its just cringe worthy

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I just found out about the butt and thigh jiggle for Helena.

This game is gonna be GOTY 2019 at this rate.

Jan 11, 2018
I'll have the direct quote in the interview, but Shimbori was not aware that the characters didn't have navels. He said he'll go back and speak with the design team. They're using a new engine and he suspects that could be causing the issue. I also talked to Master about it, and he said that he's also mentioned the lack of navels, so it looks hopeful that will change.

It feels like such a strange thing to forget about, but I'm glad he's aware of it now, lol.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. thought they would drop butt physics after DOAX3. Can't let all that hard work go to waste I guess.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through that Destructoid article.
I asked Mr. Shimbori why a series most associated with young, beautiful women would choose to introduce a new male character first. He said male characters are more popular with western audiences than female characters, and Team Ninja's Tom Lee gave a little bit more insight into Diego's creation.
Uh, not with this series Shimbori.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I asked Mr. Shimbori why a series most associated with young, beautiful women would choose to introduce a new male character first. He said male characters are more popular with western audiences than female characters, and Team Ninja's Tom Lee gave a little bit more insight into Diego's creation.

MY

IMPACT

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think it might be closer to 50/50 here, whereas in Japan it's probably closer to 90/10 lol. I don't think he was talking specifically about the hardcore fans, but just the "western audiences" in general.
50/50 would be very generous even here with DoA, I include general audiences in that (I would be more willing to believe that split for Tekken or Soul Calibur by comparison).
Ryu Hayabusa alone probably is more popular than the rest of the male cast combined.
Pretty much this.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
I just found out about the butt and thigh jiggle for Helena.

This game is gonna be GOTY 2019 at this rate.
giphy.webp

Gonna scream it for the people in the back, cuz' some of y'all in the comment section apparently didn't hear it:
SOFT ENGINE WAS ALWAYS GONNA BE IN DOA6, JUST WITHOUT THE NAME

"Local dong physics enthusiast grows stronger by the day."

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Ryu, Zack, brad Wong and Jann Lee are all winners and that's like half the guys
I like Brad Wong, Jann Lee certainly keeps players who want a Bruce Lee equivalent happy, and I'm sure there are some who find Zack's Dennis Rodman gimmick entertaining. That said, I have no reason to believe that any of them are anywhere near as popular as the lead of Ninja Gaiden.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, if you're not going to back anything up with data, I'd be more willing to believe someone on the inside working on the game.
Feel free to believe that this series of all things is even close to one where the men are actually more popular in the West, that something like that honestly needs hard data to figure out (or that he even made that statement using any). Shimbori says a lot of things, and they've come across as about as insightful as what's usually the case when a developer attempts to handle PR.

The same series that relied on the support of Xbox users for one and a half generations, a brand that the Japanese couldn't care less about, during which time a subseries focused entirely on cheesecake as opposed to men frolicking on the beach was introduced, was ever one carried by how much people care about the men?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018
日本
Feel free to believe that this series of all things is even close to one where the men are actually more popular in the West, that something like that honestly needs hard data to figure out (or that he even made that statement using any). Shimbori says a lot of things, and they've come across as about as insightful as what's usually the case when a developer attempts to handle PR.
He never specifically mentioned DOA when he said that, though. He may have been talking about male characters generally, like this is a ploy to get more Western interest in the game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think what he said was partially mistranslated. I recall an interview around the time DOA5 Last Round came out mentioning that characters like the wrestlers (specifically mentioning Bass and Tina, no one else) were the most popular in western regions with casual players whereas Japan liked the cutesy girls. I would also agree that Ryu Hayabusa is probably more popular worldwide than all of the other male characters combined.

Characters like Jann Lee and Zack certainly have their fans, but the majority of the male characters are not all that popular or even well known. I think Diego is going to be especially unpopular even if he seems like a heavily focus tested character.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Zack gets a lot of burn and play. Some of the male vharacters are fairly popular, just look at the Jann Lee Rig Zack and Tommy numbers.

Not sure how muchbof you plqued as the game went on but there was good variety.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Krav Maga maybe? It was used in one MK game I think, and Shimbori probably forgot because it's not major in Japan.
Can't think of much else in real martial arts. Marie-Rose even uses Systema...

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand how that 3 way vs 4 way holds will work. Online someone chooses 3 way vs 4 way? If there are no disadvantages for 3 way then no one will pick 4 way. Why guess 1/4 when you can guess 1/3? What will be the tournament standard? I don't like this at all. 3 way always dumbed down gameplay because it eliminated the mid kick-mid punch mixups.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I still don't understand how that 3 way vs 4 way holds will work. Online someone chooses 3 way vs 4 way? If there are no disadvantages for 3 way then no one will pick 4 way. Why guess 1/4 when you can guess 1/3? What will be the tournament standard? I don't like this at all. 3 way always dumbed down gameplay because it eliminated the mid kick-mid punch mixups.
Yeah I think everyone kind of gave up on understanding this choice as well.
Tournament standards will probably be 4-way though.