• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
I guess I should have specified that I was talking about Japanese games. Who'd want to play western fighting games in Japanese? :P

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how the characters sound in English, lol, In all DOAs I have been using the Japanese voices.
Best choice with DoA. While I use the English dubs for most other fighters I play since there are plenty of good ones, the poor voice direction means I stay as far away as possible from the ones in DoA, which also applied to the only Guilty Gear that got one with Xrd -SIGN- (pretty sure I'll be doing the same with Soul Calibur VI thanks to its dub being as subpar as usual for that series). Very much agreed with DyByHands that it just sounds off, and it never ceases to bug me.

Jan 11, 2018
They're called weebs.

I feel like this is where people who care about original language + subs and those who believe that Japanese is always better even when it's not the original language part ways :P I'd consider myself in the former camp. With a few exceptions, I'd always stick to original voice overs when possible.

That being said, I wish SoulCalibur had the same approach as Tekken. It doesn't make sense to have a game that takes place in Europe with the majority of characters being European, and some being Asian, be fully voiced in either Japanese or American English.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is where people who care about original language + subs and those who believe that Japanese is always better even when it's not the original language part ways :P I'd consider myself in the former camp. With a few exceptions, I'd always stick to original voice overs when possible.

That being said, I wish SoulCalibur had the same approach as Tekken. It doesn't make sense to have a game that takes place in Europe with the majority of characters being European, and some being Asian, be fully voiced in either Japanese or American English.
I never cared for the approach that Tekken adopted starting in 6. The idea of everyone speaking completely differently languages yet still understanding each other in the story always seemed that much sillier to me than everyone coincidentally speaking the same one.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I never cared for the approach that Tekken adopted starting in 6. The idea of everyone speaking completely differently languages yet still understanding each other in the story always seemed that much sillier to me than everyone coincidentally speaking the same one.
At least the different languages concept really highlights the different ethnicities aspect + adds some diversity to the voices (which is always nice).

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
You're right on the second front, though Killer Instinct games also don't have VA outside of English.

I don't know if NRS games get localized with voice but I wouldn't be surprised if the in-game sounds of grunting and shizz is all from the english VA.
Different characters speak different languages in the new Killer Instinct but on topic do you guys think we will get a demo and if so would it be soon or closer to launch?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Different characters speak different languages in the new Killer Instinct but on topic do you guys think we will get a demo and if so would it be soon or closer to launch?
If there's a demo, they'll announce it at the DOA Festival. I think it's likely they'll do an online beta test like most games have done recently, but won't do a non-time limited demo since there will be the F2P version soon after launch.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

Mishima Corp auto-translator technology... obviously.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Atleast Nioh had a cool interpreter
Nioh-Guardian-Spirit-Unlock-Guide-900x506.jpg

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I just hope Laura Bailey doesn't reprise her role as Christie. And I swear to god if they use Mela Lee as her replacement it will be even worse. Just get a native Englishwoman now, please.

(this all said, the inconsistency in the accents is amusing; most of the non-American characters have American accents)

Also, hi. First post in here I think. Since DOA6 info is getting hotter, I couldn't help but have a lurk in here. I'll be around more once the game is out.
Welcome back Azuardo! :D

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought i was alone in thinking that. I don't know really what it was, can't put my finger on it.
She threw lots of American pronunciations into Lara's dialogue. I don't blame just Camilla tho - the Tomb Raider license being in American hands now means the level of care and respect for the character has dropped. But I've no doubt the same would happen again if she did another English character role, hence a "no, thanks" from me to do Christie lol. Honestly tho, I'm sure it will just end up as an American VA doing her if Laura Bailey doesn't return, unfortunately. Prove me wrong, localisation team.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Still no word about a physical special edition for the west. Which is pretty lame, imo. A couple people on freestepdodge, who may know things, mentioned that they have one planned and its just not been announced yet. But, at this point I am finding that kind of hard to believe.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

They will talk about tina, mila, and bass after the competition?

Watched the show, it was fun.
The end DOA6 segment was basically just repeating what has been said on the website about those new characters, so you didn't miss anything if you just wanted to see that (but the DOA5 stuff was great).

Edit: some new interviews/previews up (ign, gameinformer, destructoid...), the one from wccftech seems to be the only really interesting one so far (might confirm Brad, and deconfirm Kiryu).

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Now that I'm not on mobile, gameplay and interview from WCCFTech:

One of the topics from the E3 build was that Fatal Rush and some of the new Break moves were too powerful. What has your response been to that feedback?
We've made some adjustments, not too many, but some slight adjustments. With the Break Blow, I think that when you attempt to parry, we made the frames a little bit shorter and the damage is a little bit [reduced]. The way that the Break gauge filled up during E3 was way too quick, so we made it fill up at a [slower] pace. With the Fatal Rush, we haven't made that many changes, just a little bit of adjustments to the damage. It's not really that big of a difference. I think the fine-tuning adjustments will be something that we do right up until the master or maybe even after the master version is complete. It's always an ongoing process and we will continue with that throughout [development of Dead or Alive 6]. Right now, there's also some combos that will immediately KO the opponent, so we might be looking to adjust that as well.
Oh yes, Kasumi isn't a character that I know too much about because I was a Christie main for the past few games. Now, I don't know if you're ready to talk too much about the story to Dead or Alive 6, but is Brad Wong still alive?

I won't say if Brad's alive, but there's someone who enjoys drinking that's alive. I'm not allowed to say anything specifically.
And questions about Irene and Kiryu, good read.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Would be incredibly disappointed if doa6 didn't have doa5 like match loading screens

The fact that you can pick your character pick a random costume, random character for the opponent and random stage and you can just do fight again and everything random changes with only a short black screen in between is damn great

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be incredibly disappointed if doa6 didn't have doa5 like match loading screens

The fact that you can pick your character pick a random costume pick random for the opponent and random stage and you can just do fight again and everything random changes with only a short black screen in between is damn great
Yeah, its why ive played 5 so much.
Hopefully its better when 6 out.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Thanks for posting this Eolz! I'm not sure if I like the dinosaur stage but otherwise the game is looking great! Also no Irene? Why... D:
I don't know but he seems to really dislike her based on his answer lol.
Always seen a lot of people asking about her, and she was in DOA Dimensions too, so I'm not sure what he's on about.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
TGS Build Gameplay Breakdown - https://www.primagames.com/games/de.../dead-or-alive-6-gameplay-tgs-build-breakdown

TGS Build Move Lists - https://www.primagames.com/games/dead-or-alive-6/tips/dead-or-alive-6-movelists

Match against Master - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3UUv-FqGS8

Most of Helena's primary move set was changed around, so you won't see me doing many juggles. My other mains, Lisa and Mila weren't in this build, obviously.

I have an interview coming, I just have to transcribe it. Probably won't be up until tomorrow or Wed, but I'll see how much time I have today.

Embargo has ended! Let's talk about navels, DrDogg! :D

I'll have the direct quote in the interview, but Shimbori was not aware that the characters didn't have navels. He said he'll go back and speak with the design team. They're using a new engine and he suspects that could be causing the issue. I also talked to Master about it, and he said that he's also mentioned the lack of navels, so it looks hopeful that will change.

Everyone's favorites characters gameplay from IGN

This is actually me playing Honoka. It was my first time playing that character...

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
TGS Build Gameplay Breakdown - https://www.primagames.com/games/de.../dead-or-alive-6-gameplay-tgs-build-breakdown

TGS Build Move Lists - https://www.primagames.com/games/dead-or-alive-6/tips/dead-or-alive-6-movelists

Match against Master - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3UUv-FqGS8

Most of Helena's primary move set was changed around, so you won't see me doing many juggles. My other mains, Lisa and Mila weren't in this build, obviously.

I have an interview coming, I just have to transcribe it. Probably won't be up until tomorrow or Wed, but I'll see how much time I have today.

I'll have the direct quote in the interview, but Shimbori was not aware that the characters didn't have navels. He said he'll go back and speak with the design team. They're using a new engine and he suspects that could be causing the issue. I also talked to Master about it, and he said that he's also mentioned the lack of navels, so it looks hopeful that will change.

This is actually me playing Honoka. It was my first time playing that character...
Really good article! Sounds like you're a lot more positive about it than some months ago.
Looking forward to the interview! And wow, didn't expect that about navels, this thread and you might have changed that :D

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Really good article! Sounds like you're a lot more positive about it than some months ago.
Looking forward to the interview! And wow, didn't expect that about navels, this thread and you might have changed that :D

Thanks. I would say at present there are a lot of opportunities for guaranteed damage. This is still DOA, so you have 90% of moves being unsafe, very few safe stance transitions, etc., but at least once you land a hit, you basically have only one more chance to counter.

The evasive sidestep is nice, but it's still limiting in the DOA engine. Now you have characters that are primarily linear (Helena) having major issues against SS, while a character like Hayabusa can continue to excel since a number of his staple attacks track and he has one of the best throws in the game.

At present, I feel what will make a character top tier in DOA6 are:
  • Good sitdown stuns (both stun length and variety of attacks that lead to a sitdown stun)
  • Good tracking moves
  • Frame advantage on block

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks so much for relaying that question. :)
I hope you specified it is just the male characters that lack navels. I fear Shimbori may now look at one of the female characters, which do have navels, shrugs his shoulders and moves on, lol.

I'm for some reason not surprised he hadn't even noticed. ;)

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for relaying that question. :)
I hope you specified it is just the male characters that lack navels. I fear Shimbori may now look at one of the female characters, which do have navels, shrugs his shoulders and moves on, lol.

I'm for some reason not surprised he hadn't even noticed. ;)

The game was right in front of us, and he didn't believe it at first. He went over to Rig and I showed him directly, then he selected Zack and went in game to see if he could see it there as well.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game was right in front of us, and he didn't believe it at first. He went over to Rig and I showed him directly, then he selected Zack and went in game to see if he could see it there as well.

You are awesome! :) Showing is better than just telling. So did he realize/acknowledge they were in fact missing?

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Now that I'm not on mobile, gameplay and interview from WCCFTech:

And questions about Irene and Kiryu, good read.

Thanks for posting this. Im about to read it.

Doing good work there. I hope it gets fixed up. Not that its a big issue but given how good the models look, it does stick out once noticed.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
That was a good and enjoyable article, good that it has more guaranteed attacks now than in 5 and the guessing has been reduced to 1 more attack.

Thanks, DrDogg!