Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got really sad, looking at the post on the eraforum, about the passing of Lil Bub. RIP.

Am I still MDK, All Day, Every Day?

I'm pretty sure The King would approve.

"I dunno what the fuck a Lil' Bub is, but then my boy showed me a picture and let me fuckin' tell you...I would fuckin' die for that god damn cat, RIP little dude, MDK all fuckin' day" etc.

ANuclearError

Nov 25, 2017
Been watching the build up to Starrcade 85 recently, started around when the "Not quite 4 Horsemen yet" injured Dusty and just reached the Hard Times promo. I'm a little fuzzy on where we are in relation to the Horsemen formation, as I don't think I've actually heard the phrase "4 Horsemen" yet.

Naturally this is all well before my time, but I'm finding it quite easy to binge at least.

Got some random thoughts:
  • Hard Times is obviously a damn good promo, but I never knew that Dusty had a sort of prototype on WCW before the famous Mid-Atlantic version.
  • Flair's not really been present much in the stuff I've watched so far, though obviously there's still a lot revolving around him. I think this is something I'll need to get used to if I continue on this after Starrcade.
  • The Tully/Magnum feud has really felt like the backbone of these shows with Flair & Dusty largely being absent. I'm really enjoying Tully, he's a guy who's work I've not really had much experience with before.
  • Magnum TA has came across a bit whiny to me in this feud though, and the whole forcing a kiss on Baby Doll thing didn't help endear him to me either.
  • It's quite nice experience how over the RnR Express were during this time, crowd are mental for them, and I don't think this is their peak either.
  • Arn Anderson is damn good, I'm really liking him holding the TV belt hostage. I know Ole's an arsehole but I enjoy his promos here too.
  • Having a National belt as well as a US belt seems odd to me.
  • I can't take Buddy Landel seriously. I know Flair didn't invent the gimmick, but for Landel to be doing it at the same time just doesn't work for me.
  • That said, he's a lot easier to take serious than Evil Russian Repo Man.
  • The Midnight Express & Cornette feuding with Jimmy Valiant & Ron Garvin in drag can fuck off.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
AEW just barely won every demo except over 50.

It's almost a wash demo-wise at this point.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna chalk this up to AEW's younger audience being more likely to dip for the holiday week.

At least until we see how it bounces back this week.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Certainly seems based on those numbers that the overall number for NXT and AEW isnt increasing week to week. There are about 1.4-1.5 million people watching wrestling on Wednesday nights and thats about it.

Rob from the bryan and Vinny show was bringing this up when Bryan was ranting incessantly about the whole survivor series build.

About how who beats who is rather pointless when the reality is they're just shuffling about the same 1.4 million when back when they started they had about 2.5 million to work with.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Does WWE really expect people to cheer for Charlotte over Asuka and Kairi Sane?
Yes. Which is why there is a very strong chance of Becky coming out to save Charlotte tonight for some reason (read: in hopes of getting Charlotte cheered). Despite the fact that Becky has already poisoned the well on this storyline by shitting on it via social media and various promos. Basically she's pissed off that WWE isn't building up people to face her in singles action for the RAW Women's Championship.

What will probably end up happening tonight (because this is how Vince loves to operate) is that Charlotte will beat the Kabuki Warriors on her own, get beat down post match, and then Becky will make the save. Why? No one fucking knows why. And there is a non zero chance that the crowd eventually turns on Becky as well. Because she's been booked ridiculously strong as of late, to the detriment of the rest of the women in the division. And people are finally starting to take notice.

But yes, they fully expect the audience to cheer Charlotte over Asuka and Kairi. WWE is still trying to push the narrative that the Kabuki Warriors were at fault for the Survivor Series loss, and not Charlotte being a massive dickhead to her team.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Viewership

NXT: 810k
AEW: 663k

wow

giphy.gif

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
I'm real interested in the ratings breakdown by quarter. Want to see if there was a major drop during Throne vs Monsoor.

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
Yes. Which is why there is a very strong chance of Becky coming out to save Charlotte tonight for some reason. Despite the fact that Becky has already poisoned the well on this storyline by shitting on it via social media and various promos. Basically she's pissed off that WWE isn't building up people to face her in singles action for the RAW Women's Championship.

What will probably end up happening tonight (because this is how Vince loves to operate) is that Charlotte will beat the Kabuki Warriors on her own, get beat down post match, and then Becky will make the save. Why? No one fucking knows why. And there is a non zero chance that the crowd eventually turns on Becky as well. Because she's been booked ridiculously strong as of late, to the detriment of the rest of the women in the division. And people are finally starting to take notice.

But yes, they fully expect the audience to cheer Charlotte over Asuka and Kairi. WWE is still trying to push the narrative that the Kabuki Warriors were at fault for the Survivor Series loss, and not Charlotte being a massive dickhead to her team.
You'll get your Charlotte double spear spot and we wont' like it.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me That this new era has us looking at ratings under 900k. I remember them olden times with 4-5 mill.

As a semi casual I usually stick with AEW until the Io Shirai match comes on.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
That was easily the worst episode yet by a large margin so I can't say that rating isn't deserved. Holidays or not.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
NXT didn't really close the gap insomuch as AEW's ratings collapsed. Which is the more interesting story. Was it because of Thanksgiving? Was it because it was a below average show? Is the hype gone?

AEW has a much higher DVR numbers percentage-wise than any other wrestling show, so do the DVR numbers show that the younger demographic was largley watching the show later due to the holiday?

This week's ratings are going to be interesting.

The Kid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NXT didn't really close the gap insomuch as AEW's ratings collapsed. Which is the more interesting story. Was it because of Thanksgiving? Was it because it was a below average show? Is the hype gone?

AEW has a much higher DVR numbers percentage-wise than any other wrestling show, so do the DVR numbers show that the younger demographic was largley watching the show later due to the holiday?

This week's ratings are going to be interesting.

I could be completely wrong on this, but doesn't having high DVR numbers defeat the real benefit of AEW to a cable network, which is that people will watch it live?

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me That this new era has us looking at ratings under 900k. I remember them olden times with 4-5 mill.

different times but don't forget the first 9 months of the monday night wars the ratings that were being exchanged between boths compnies were between 1.9-2.7 until the summer of 96

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
WWE: "Okay, Charlotte is a face now. You have to cheer for her."

Fans: "No, I don't think so. Sorry."
The saddest part is WWE genuinely thinks Charlotte is in the right here. Bryan ranted about it last week on WOL, but basically:

- Charlotte blind tagged herself in at Survivor Series. Shoved Asuka, and laid her out. Asuka misted her and walked off.

- On RAW the following night, Charlotte cut a promo basically calling Asuka a massive loser and bragging about killing her career in WWE and taking pleasure in ruining Asuka's mystique.

- On that same RAW, Charlotte went after Kairi THREE TIMES despite two of those three times...Kairi was standing around either doing nothing or checking on Asuka. Kairi did get involved the third time, but at that point no one could have blamed her. Charlotte got misted again after the third time. The crowd went wild.

- And now they are pushing the narrative that the Kabuki Warriors abandoned Charlotte at Survivor Series who was trying to lead her team to victory and is cool and good while the Kabukis are bad and dumb.

And yet we are expected to think Charlotte is the babyface in this scenario, despite coming across as a massive bully. Come the fuck on. Adding Becky to the equation won't make things any better. At best, the audience will be indifferent. At worst, the audience will turn on Becky as well, because she has literally no reason to be working with Charlotte right now.

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
I could be completely wrong on this, but doesn't having high DVR numbers defeat the real benefit of AEW to a cable network, which is that people will watch it live?
Advertisers don't spend based on DVR numbers due to knowing people skip them over. On demand might factor if they track that since most shows block you from fast forwarding now.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Simpler times when seeing over the top dudes going at it was the coolest shit for the average Joe.

Things just get less popular/die off while other forms of entertainment rise.
Maybe in 60 years wrasslin robots will be the hot shit!

The Kid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think thursday night dynamite has a better ring to it

TNT shows basketball on Tuesdays and Thursdays and definitely won't bump that in favor of AEW. I guess you could run AEW on Tuesday or Thursday during the off-season but changing days every several months or so probably won't help build an audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.