• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I could be completely wrong on this, but doesn't having high DVR numbers defeat the real benefit of AEW to a cable network, which is that people will watch it live?

For sure. Advertisers more or less don't care about DVR numbers. AEW has to find a way to translate those high numbers into live watchers.

But my point was more about the thanksgiving numbers. If AEW's younger audience is more prone to DVR, then that could explain the low holiday ratings, which we would (theoretically) expect to bounce back.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Does WWE really expect people to cheer for Charlotte over Asuka and Kairi Sane?

I think there is a whole lot here someone could say about how much WWE expects that they have to build a white babyface when they are facing heel POC and vice versa. It's gross but it has definitely been born out in their booking. Vince expects people to cheer Charlotte because he can't see himself cheering for The Kabuki Warriors. I don't think he has any particular disdain for them. To him they are just foreign heels #87 and #88.

And there is a non zero chance that the crowd eventually turns on Becky as well. Because she's been booked ridiculously strong as of late, to the detriment of the rest of the women in the division. And people are finally starting to take notice.

Super Humman and Lulupencil is a dream tag team

Add Ava Everett for a dream trio. Send them to Uncharted Territory every damn week.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
small brain:

giphy.gif

big brain:

giphy.gif

galaxy brain:

m1AkSA3.gif

universe brain:

mo9QDZk.gif

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Certainly seems based on those numbers that the overall number for NXT and AEW isnt increasing week to week. There are about 1.4-1.5 million people watching wrestling on Wednesday nights and thats about it.

Yeah, this seems to be the limit for both shows.

It looks like the main WWE audience, the 1.9 millions that stay for Raw third hour are not that interested on NXT or AEW. At best they will check NXT when main wrestlers are advertised or AEW when it gets a lot of hype, but that it is. This show that if AEW wants to grow, going for the WWE audience is the wrong strategy. They will need to do a lot more to differentiate from WWE and attract a wider audience. And bringing old WCW wrestlers or WCW events is not going to help with that. The nostalgia for WCW is not as big as they think.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
If they do it like ACH vs Omega from PWG it is going to draw millions!!!

But, yeah NXT has a lot of momentum and AEW needs to do something big to inject new life to their show.

You mean like a big... GUY?? Just imagine. Jericho has defeated Kenny Omega in a 2 hour iron-man match with only one fall. The crowd is exhausted and in despair. Then over the loud speaker, three simple words: FEED ME MORE. What a moment. What a moment.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean like a big... GUY?? Just imagine. Jericho has defeated Kenny Omega in a 2 hour iron-man match with only one fall. The crowd is exhausted and in despair. Then over the loud speaker, three simple words: FEED ME MORE. What a moment. What a moment.

You joke, but I take Ryback over Haggar.

Heck, most of the crowd would probably agree.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
You joke, but I take Ryback over Haggar.

Heck, most of the crowd would probably agree.

Of all the ex-WWE guys, the one who I never understood didn't get more run after leaving WWE was Ryback as he has charisma, a good lock, and an ability to put on a decent match with the right guys. I just assumed he must impossible to deal with because no one major ever booked him.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of all the ex-WWE guys, the one who I never understood didn't get more run after leaving WWE was Ryback as he has charisma, a good lock, and an ability to put on a decent match with the right guys. I just assumed he must impossible to deal with because no one major ever booked him.

I think he was asking for way too much per appearance. Only some local indies that book ex-WWE talent were bringing him. And he seems to be fine with his protein stuff.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Ryback was more interested in stuff like his supplements line and not wrestling after WWE. He was asking a ridiculous amount for indie booking. Like what Rey Mysterio was getting.

Oct 25, 2017
My completely anecdotal anecdote is that this was the first episode of Dynamite I haven't watched live as I was traveling for Thanksgiving. I'm 28. I wonder how much the holiday affected the younger viewership of AEW, but you know, I'm not going to compare the demo numbers of previous weeks myself, because work was hectic and that sounds exhausting.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a bigger gap out there on the US indies for a stable or group than Ava Everett and Anthony Greene/Angel Sinclair? I am legit delighted whenever I see her in the ring. She's so fun. When I think about opponents I'd love to see for Lulupencil she is damn near the top of the list. But Angel Sinclair is.... OK. She's trending better but she is OK. And Anthony Greene fucking sucks. But Ava Everett is so damn good that when she works with him its like she shields him from my eyerolls. The difference between Beyond and Evolve AG really highlights for me.

I hope she is not so anchored to this Platinum Hunnies gimmick that she can't break out because that would be a damn shame.

They all stink.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Ryback is also super fucked up body wise, apparently. He claims he went through 14 stem cell procedures to avoid a 5 disc fusion and a shoulder replacement.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this seems to be the limit for both shows.

It looks like the main WWE audience, the 1.9 millions that stay for Raw third hour are not that interested on NXT or AEW. At best they will check NXT when main wrestlers are advertised or AEW when it gets a lot of hype, but that it is. This show that if AEW wants to grow, going for the WWE audience is the wrong strategy. They will need to do a lot more to differentiate from WWE and attract a wider audience. And bringing old WCW wrestlers or WCW events is not going to help with that. The nostalgia for WCW is not as big as they think.

They need to shake up US tv presentation. It's all over stylized and produced, paint by numbers

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
When I was growing up, people got into wrestling because they heard cool/funny/crazy shit was happening.

Cool/funny/crazy shit is not happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Pushing the womens division is how NXT has been gaining an edge. Meanwhile, Brandi and Kong out here collecting locks for their hair collection. People wants womens matches not dogshit fake voodoo segments.

Also introducing The Butcher, The Blade, & The Bunny before their obvious faction leader shows up makes no fucking sense. Especially when what they did with them is obviously act on a grudge/vendetta that Marty will have been holding onto for a year.

THIS GRUDGE I HAVE HELD IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME I SENT THIS NO NAME NERDS TO POP UP LIKE FIENDISH PRAIRIE DOGS TO ATTACK YOU CODY.

Get outta here.

• More women
  • More quality control on ad integration (both the 'Little Bit of the Bubbly' and State Farm commentator guy were dogshit)
  • Don't put cart before the horse in stories
  • Popular people need to win matches on television. (Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Kenny, Darby)
  • Don't ever refer to BTE on commentary for Christ's sake. It's enough that Dark exists. But if you tell people to watch BTE then you are mandating a commitment on three day to enjoy this product. Some people are searching AEW out because they want wrestling, just less of it.

Oct 25, 2017
If you think they all stink you could answered the question I posed in the post. Is there a bigger gap between two members of a faction than Ava Everett and Anthony Greene? Certainly, if you think they are all trash you can probably cite an example that you think is more accurate.

Hostile much? Jesus

Ava is fine, easily the most charismatic and fun one
AG is a 1980s jobber personified

I'd rather watch platinum hunnies over any AG match 9 time shout of 10

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
full support for the Platinum Hunnies

no support for AG

I feel like Angel Sinclair is getting better. I think their heavy schedule and tagging with Ava will get her there. Solo Darling didn't really have all the pieces a year ago and is a fantastic worker today. I hope the same for Angel Sinclair.

(This is a backdoor endorsement for Solo Darling for any kind of nominating anyone is doing anywhere for a most improved worker.)

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Angel Sinclair is getting better. I think their heavy schedule and tagging with Ava will get her there. Solo Darling didn't really have all the pieces a year ago and is a fantastic worker today. I hope the same for Angel Sinclair.

(This is a backdoor endorsement for Solo Darling for any kind of nominating anyone is doing anywhere for a most improved worker.)
I didn't know what to make of Solo when I first saw her at SHIMMER 2 years ago, she had a unique look but that was it

Seeing how she's turned up the intensity this year has been really impressive. It makes a world of difference for match quality

Serpentine

Oct 25, 2017
GCW LA tickets for their 1/24. might spring for front row this time but I need some more announcements, Blake Christian vs Rich Swann is fine enough but Swann has basically been on autopilot

Starr back in GCW is great though.
I hope she is not so anchored to this Platinum Hunnies gimmick that she can't break out because that would be a damn shame.
Ava and AG are a couple iirc so prob not anytime soon, at least

need to know when those originals go up!

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I never said I didn't?

I just think they all stink. But I'd like to see bunnies in matches more without AG

I did offer the question hoping to foster conversation about factions or tag teams where the value brought by members is lopsided. I think a less extreme example is Chris Dickinson and Pinkie Sanchez. Chris Dickinson, is a great worker with tons of charisma who is red fucking hot and Pinkie is... fine.

This was the kind of thing I was trying to solicit examples of.

And if you think 'they all suck' then you actually don't share my opinion. Which is fine. And since about 20-25% of this thread in any given month is people dunking on each other for their taste you're right in line with the norm here.

FWIW, I thought you just misunderstood the purpose of my post which was to:

Solicit opinions on other lopsided factions​
See if other people saw the talent in that particular faction as lopsided​
All cool in the school TarpitCarnivore! Didn't want to come off as aggro, just thought you might have missed I was looking for alternatives if you disagreed. :)​

Oct 25, 2017
I did offer the question hoping to foster conversation about factions or tag teams where the value brought by members is lopsided. I think a less extreme example is Chris Dickinson and Pinkie Sanchez. Chris Dickinson, is a great worker with tons of charisma who is red fucking hot and Pinkie is... fine.

This was the kind of thing I was trying to solicit examples of.

And if you think 'they all suck' then you actually don't share my opinion. Which is fine. And since about 20-25% of this thread in any given month is people dunking on each other for their taste you're right in line with the norm here.

FWIW, I thought you just misunderstood the purpose of my post which was to:

Solicit opinions on other lopsided factions​
See if other people saw the talent in that particular faction as lopsided​
All cool in the school TarpitCarnivore! Didn't want to come off as aggro, just thought you might have missed I was looking for alternatives if you disagreed. :)​

Do pinkie and Dickinson count though because it's two? I always felt factions needed to be three or more.

I legit can't think of any other stable to compare against though.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
North American wreslting have a star problem.

I understand that Omega wanted to make sure he was putting other guys over, but their strategy with him is baffling. Here is the one dude you have that you can build a promotion on his back and make people tune in to see "What is Kenny Omega going to do this week?" And you have successfully made him just another guy in a matter of two months. It is utterly incredible that AEW watched how WWE has failed to build on wrestler's getting themselves over for years and decided to go that route with Omega.

Oct 25, 2017
"One of my mission statements in AEW is to build new talent," said Jericho. "People complain, 'We don't have any idea who this people are!' It's only been nine weeks, and we're focusing on one person every couple of weeks. Building new stars will make this promotion successful. This past week gave Sammy Guevara some spotlight, as well as Ortiz, Santana, and SCU."

Oh Christopher, it's definitely a big problem

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I understand that Omega wanted to make sure he was putting other guys over, but their strategy with him is baffling. Here is the one dude you have that you can build a promotion on his back and make people tune in to see "What is Kenny Omega going to do this week?" And you have successfully made him just another guy in a matter of two months. It is utterly incredible that AEW watched how WWE has failed to build on wrestler's getting themselves over for years and decided to go that route with Omega.
Omega seems to have control of how he's booked. This is the direction Kenny wanted.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Japan promotion has made more english speaking wrestling superstar more than NA promotion is baffling.

Oct 25, 2017

Kenny doesn't have to be the sole star. They brought in Mox and had a gigantic pop and since then his potential for massive star status has stayed flat.

This is a problem with aew as a whole

Status
Not open for further replies.