hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
2 year old console sells better than 5 year old consoles.

Can't say I'm surprised.

You are downplaying what the system achieved. it had the highest December for any video game system since 2010.
not any console or gaming system can achieve those numbers whatever the stage they are in. 3DS sold only 1.25m in December 2012 (its full second year) below the very old X360 which sold 1.4m in the same month, and it sold only 540k in November 2012, again below X360 and even PS3.

Switch is not only doing much better, not only ending PS4's dominance over the US market this gen, its also doing that at full price.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how we go from Nintendo being doomed when generation to knocking it of the park the next.
Oh but it's still doomed since they won't reach their hardware forecast.
That's actually surprising they made a crazy forecast like that, knowing how they did in the past, is some sort of goodbye gift from Kimishima to Furukawa?

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Smash is 5th best selling of the year? Despite less than 4 weeks on the market AND not counting digital sales? Good lord

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm not actually sure how that would have happened, now that you point that out.
giphy.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nutty results as expected from the leaks. What a December from Nintendo.

I'm still quite perplexed that they haven't issued any PR though.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I hadn't realized that Spider-Man wasn't just the best selling PS4 game of the year, but the best selling PS4 game overall. It beat Uncharted 4.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm why did the chart Mat posted on Twitter have RDR2 at #2 for December but the one in the OP and on Gamesbeat have COD at #2? That explains my confusion. Which one is right?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Wait why is RDR2 the best selling game of the year? It was behind CoD IV at the end of november and sold less in December

Oct 25, 2017
So happy about Nintendo. To go from the dreadful Wii U era to being not only the best selling HW of the year and the best December of the generation, but to be the top selling software publisher has been incredible to see. Their software on Switch has been utterly fantastic and deserves all the success it's gotten.

Especially happy about Smash. The game is truly special, insane that it managed to take the exclusive launch record and instantly become the fifth best selling game of the year without even accounting for digital.

Can't wait to see how 2019 shapes up. With Animal Crossing + Pokémon, a more consistent release lineup, and a revision/price cut this should be the peak year by a wide margin. Exciting times ahead!

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Man, I have to wonder what Smash's total WW sales will be when all is said and done. I think 20m+ is very likely.

Also: goddamn, Zelda keeps going. It could hit 15m when all is said and done.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate fastest selling game ever?!
Sakurai, you crazy guy, you f*cking did it! Congrats!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
MatPiscatella when you have a moment (and if you're willing), would it be possible to get a list of the top 10/20 3rd party Switch games for the year? I feel like we always see top 10 Switch, but we are lucky if we get to see 1 or 2 3rd parties listed.

Thanks for all your hard work. You've clearly been busy.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Smash Performance without digital is freaking impressive - entering the Top 5 of they year with just a single month .....Goddamn.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is already one of he most embarrassing NPD threads I've ever read.

It had the highest unit sales of any platform since 2010. I'll let you into a secret PS4 wasn't out then. It has nothing to do with console lifecycle, it's a product that people like and enjoy playing games on.

It's great for the industry that Nintendo is doing well. 2018 sales are hitting a high for the last decade, this is also great for Sony and Microsoft who are gearing up to announce their next gen consoles.

We should all be celebrating instead of this embarrassing downplaying of the numbers.

Some people can't help themselves after four years of 'winning'...

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Switch is going to be crazy successful and we might have witnessed the birth of a new Nintendo feature here to stay for the next consoles and mainly iterate a la iPhone for a while. The hybrid feature ain't gonna die like Nintendo's recent features that some (or many) perceived as gimmicks. Because of the kind of software N produces, and now strongly backed by a big part of the industry i.e. indies, they are in a unique position to take full advantage of this concept and make it their "thing". Going forward I can only see Nintendo's mindshare growing further.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to learn more about Pokemon Let's Go. Did it combined outsell everything but Smash in December? And where does it end up on the 2018 chart when combined?

Fun stuff.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash outsold both GoW and Spiderman without digital in a single month?

I said damn

On a much, much smaller hardware install base too.

When you look at BotW, MK8D, Mario Odyssey and Pokemon, Nintendo have the strongest, exclusive IP in the industry... by far.

The performance of the NES and SNES Classic systems are also incredible.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Smash is 5th best selling of the year? Despite less than 4 weeks on the market AND not counting digital sales? Good lord
Since this is NPD thus is also only US sales right?

Can't wait for worldwide sales. Hope it's a turn for the series it 10s of millions, as it should be for being the culmination of everything Nintendo is about.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Even though the 2018 Switch lineup didn't appeal to me much overall, it's clear that Nintendo's holiday strategy was excellent.

Huge numbers for their software.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty surprised that Donkey Kong outsold Kirby this year, especially considering it's a port. Then again, I'm one of those people that bought DK but not Kirby.

Were reviews and online praise actually a significant factor in creating the difference between DK and Kirby? I wonder.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I am pretty surprised that Donkey Kong outsold Kirby this year, especially considering it's a port. Then again, I'm one of those people that bought DK but not Kirby.

Were reviews and online praise actually a significant factor in creating the difference between DK and Kirby? I wonder.

It helps that Donkey Kong was basically a brand new game for a lot of people.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Smash sales are definitely insane. Especially since digital is not included in those numbers, and a LOT of people bought digital. Only one month of sales, on a single platform, and it still charted Top 5 for the year. Better than GoW and SpiderMan

Damn!

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
On a much, much smaller hardware install base too.

When you look at BotW, MK8D, Mario Odyssey and Pokemon, Nintendo have the strongest, exclusive IP in the industry... by far.

The performance of the NES and SNES Classic systems are also incredible.
That's been clear for ages, though.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't realized that Spider-Man wasn't just the best selling PS4 game of the year, but the best selling PS4 game overall. It beat Uncharted 4.
Makes sense for the US.
Can't believe Spider-man sold more than Far Cry 5, that is insane.

What's insane is a system with 1/5th the overall sales already the fifth best selling game of 2018...excluding digital sales.