• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Impressive Switch numbers. PS 5 keeps trucking.

But is anyone else kind of shocked Xbox hardware is up YoY? Game Pass must be working because I really don't see another reason, and I say that as a diehard Xbox fan.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Despite being a little lower than expectations, those HW numbers are still nuts! I have no doubt that Switch is hitting the Target and best selling console in december since 2010!? W O W.

Nevermind SW, just.. insane.

Glad to see the industry being this healthy, and 2019 might just top last year with the known line-up so far.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Its in the video, very small text at the end. I think there was a thread about this little stunt. Sony seems to like such marketing spins.
Guess the real best selling console is still up in the air then. I can't really remember the last time they made a blatant spin like this so I can't really agree with them liking to spin things. We got a lot of solid numbers from them over the past few years.

Luchadorable

Jan 14, 2018
Fantastic result for the Switch, happy it's doing so well - it means the third parties can't really afford to ignore it.

Did find it interesting that it appeared Mario Party sold more than Pokémon though. Then I realised each version of Pokémon was being counted. Do we have sales numbers to figure out what they would be combined? I imagine it would be second only to smash

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I can't really remember the last time they made a blatant spin like this so I can't really agree with them liking to spin things.
You should have seen the press releases from the 2006-2010 era -- lots of spin every month, from counting units shipped instead of sold, or touting record sales of the "<X> family" of consoles, etc.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's really crazy here is that SSBU managed to crack the top 5 of best selling 2018 games despite launching in December and despite having nondigital, on top of Spiderman to crown all of that. Madness.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Because nobody knows how much consoles Nintendo sold last quarter WW.

Even now, after NPD and MC results, It's still unclear who sold more in 2018 WW. But we will know that in one week from now.

Unless Sony sold at lot more than the Switch in the UK and Germany, the Switch will be ahead worldwide since the Switch stomped the PS4 in Japan by nearly 2 million units and beat it in France. Meaning Nintendo 'won' three out of the five biggest console markets. Sony between all its remaining markets would have to sell over 2 million to make up for the lost of the US, Japan, and France.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
You should have seen the press releases from the 2006-2010 era -- lots of spin every month, from counting units shipped instead of sold, or touting record sales of the "<X> family" of consoles, etc.
I am aware of them doing that in the past and that was a pretty bad showing. However, I was more specifically referring to recent times. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Unless Sony sold at lot more than the Switch in the UK and Germany, the Switch will be ahead worldwide since the Switch stomped the PS4 in Japan and beat it in France. Meaning Nintendo 'won' three out of the five biggest console markets.
Still not sure about this. I mean Sony sold more than 5.6 million units WW during the holiday season (11/19/2018 – 12/31/2018 ~ 6 weeks), and "till October" they were "the best-selling video game console in 2018".

I'll better wait for Nintendo Q3 results.

---
edit:

Also, don't underestimate smaller markets. For example, just Russia gives PS4 about +250K lead over XB and Switch combined in 2018 in that market.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
But Octopath isn't on there. Other titles I expected included: Diablo 3, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter,

DxjX-IaVYAAOxb0.jpg:large
I think one thing to consider is that compared to last year, the top 10 is filled by 2 years worth of big evergreen titles. MK8D, Splatoon 2, SMO and BOTW claim their place with probably millions of units sold. Then Smash obviously takes a place, as well as Super Mario Party, and Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. That leaves only 2 spots for games that aren't huge multi-million sellers. Competition for those spots are Kirby,DKTF, Mario Tennis Aces, Octopath Traveler and Diablo 3 I think. Octopath as JRPG selling about 1.5M (estimated) would see no more than 800k units sold in the US I think,and Diablo 3 launched only in November, so it had less time than other Nintendo evergreen titles to garner sales. In the end, I don't think those titles stood a chance simply due to the sales potential of those Nintendo franchises.

It's not like that means OT or Diablo 3 sold badly: OT reached 1 million within 3 weeks or so. And I doubt Diablo 3,despite it not having any official comment,did badly, considering Benji had said at some point that he was very impressed by Diablo 3's Switch sales.

Anshelm

Oct 28, 2017
Unless Sony sold at lot more than the Switch in the UK and Germany, the Switch will be ahead worldwide since the Switch stomped the PS4 in Japan by nearly 2 million units and beat it in France. Meaning Nintendo 'won' three out of the five biggest console markets. Sony between all its remaining markets would have to sell over 2 million to make up for the lost of the US, Japan, and France.

PS4 sold ~10 million outside those countries (US, Japan, France) and outsold Switch in UK by 300k so it still up in the air. But is going to be really close.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I need to ask a question because maybe I'm missing something.

Does something cataclysmic happen if Nintendo doesn't hit 20 million? I see this brought up so much so I assume it's a huge deal. Like, does the world end if they don't hit 20 million? Is Nintendo finally going to go 3rd party?

Can someone clue me in?

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to ask a question because maybe I'm missing something.

Does something cataclysmic happen if Nintendo doesn't hit 20 million? I see this brought up so much so I assume it's a huge deal. Like, does the world end if they don't hit 20 million? Is Nintendo finally going to go 3rd party?

Can someone clue me in?
It's a target they set themselves. There's been a lot of chatter about whether or not they'll hit it. 90% of the conversation is just people interested. But then there's a small proportion of console warriors from both sides desperate to get the people who predicted wrong to 'eat crow'.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
What's the consensus on Fallout 76?

People were saying bomba but has the game bombed or what?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Still not sure about this. I mean Sony sold more than 5.6 million units WW during the holiday season (11/19/2018 – 12/31/2018 ~ 6 weeks), and "till October" they were "the best-selling video game console in 2018".

I'll better wait for Nintendo Q3 results.

Like Nintendo over 3 milling in the US alone during that time period. And the majority of Nintendo's sells always comes form the holidays compared to other game companies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
PS4 sold ~10 million outside those countries (US, Japan, France) and outsold Switch in UK by 300k so it still up in the air. But is going to be really close.

300k really doesn't make for the over 1.8 they lost in Japan and the Switch in the US more or less negates the UK numbers. We also don't know how much Nintneod sells in other ares since they don't give those numbers.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
US is already not that interesting, since we know data for the whole 2018 and difference between NSW and PS4 is pretty small.

Plus see my edit.

The different is about the same as how much the PS4 beat the Switch in the UK. That and again, they would have to sell a lot in the smaller markets to make up for losing Japan as badly as they did.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Indies are carrying The switch right now. Idk if switch needs that AAA support right now when

a) bestsellers on the system are 1st party
b) indies are filling in the gaps because of lack of AAA 3rd party
c) it's still selling like hotcakes although it's expected since it's the new thing..

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Indies are carrying The switch right now. Idk if switch needs that AAA support right now when

a) bestsellers on the system are 1st party
b) indies are filling in the gaps because of lack of AAA 3rd party
c) it's still selling like hotcakes although it's expected since it's the new thing..

AAA support isn't really a big deal outside of certain key games. GTA for example. I do think though that they are currently missing a lot of support that traditionally came to their handhelds, particularly from Japan, that still hasn't shown up. Like even mainstays such as Ace Attorney, Layton, Etrian Odyssey etc., haven't really been heard from so far, and certainly the system has no new Monster Hunter which was a huge boon for the 3DS in Japan.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Only the best Kart racer of all time could be #12 in sales for the year 2018 when its original release date was in 2014. This discussion doesn't have enough dialogue about the GOAT. Pay homage brehs.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Whilst it's expected it still sold more than PS4 has ever done in December. Not sure many were expecting that even if it is the "new" (2 year old) thing.

You think?

Idk. I've always thought a portable console should be selling more than a home console...esp in this day and age..people now expect the game to be where they wanna be, not the game to dictate where they should be. I've always thought the Switch is catering to both handheld and home console market that's why it isn't a surprise to me that it sold more...also heavy hitters for switch comes out December...and ps4 sells during the fall... idk

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
You think?

Idk. I've always thought a portable console should be selling more than a home console...esp in this day and age..people now expect the game to be where they wanna be, not the game to dictate where they should be. I've always thought the Switch is catering to both handheld and home console market that's why it isn't a surprise to me that it sold more...also heavy hitters for switch comes out December...and ps4 sells during the fall... idk
People thought the phones killed handhelds

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You think?

The Vita says hi

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
You think?

Nah I think if you said to folks before it launched that Switch would have the highest monthly unit sales since the Wii a lot of people would have openly mocked you. It's a pretty great turnaround. Also not wanting to take anything away from ps4 which is still selling incredibly. I think it just goes to show how healthy the industry currently is.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Idk. I've always thought a portable console should be selling more than a home console...esp in this day and age..people now expect the game to be where they wanna be, not the game to dictate where they should be.
I don't think ERA (GAF at the time) saw it that way.

Hell, a large chunk of people still seem to act as if the portability is a buzzword gimmick or a transient novelty at most.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
People thought the phones killed handhelds
Eh....yes and no. Yes because kids today have more options and no because there's still market for tactile handheld ..

But the thing about mobile is that its market is way bigger than handheld..it's in the billions - an order of magnitude than a handheld. The handheld ceiling was the Gameboy/DS approximately which was 100+ million.

So yes, mobile ate that marketshare butttt mobile can also be the gateway to handheld. Also, Switch is technically the successor of 3DS/DS line. Makes sense it sells, really.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I don't think ERA (GAF at the time) saw it that way.

Hell, a large chunk of people still seem to act as if the portability is a buzzword gimmick or a transient novelty at most.

That was so naive, though. I mean, by and large, portability is such a huge plus in this day and age. Some watch Netflix on their tablets in bed vs on their 55" tv in the living room....

As a kid, imagine ifyou can just sneak in your gaming under your pillow... people didn't see that coming?

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
Damn you americans is hungry for console gaming 😂🤣 Record after record broken in that market. So glad to see gaming industry is going well, lets hope they spend more money on developing games, because you obvisoubly got the cash(or credit)

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge month for the Switch and even if Nintendo will miss their 20 million target, they will make enough money due to high software sales and stil strng mini consoles. I mean, the NES Mini is the 2nd best SKU only behind the best selling Switch version.
Donkey Kong selling good makes me also happy. Such a great game and heavily overlooked due to the Wii U being the Wii U.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the console and it's launch year line-up was underestimated in 2017. Glad I turned out right, only questionable comment was Japanese support which is still not at the level you'd expect for a device with the success of the Switch.

This might surprise some a bit, but I'm sure a lot of people think the launch year lineup is better than the combine output of the Wii U and 3DS's first year.

The real question is how is a casual who owned either the Wii or 3DS but didn't buy the Wii U view the console. In terms of the Wii U it's pretty much the most hardcore Nintendo console because only hardcore Nintendo fans bought it.

A person who didn't own the Wii U isn't going to care Zelda is available on the system or that MK8D is a port. You have pretty much two of the biggest games that could launch on a system releasing back to back months, a new IP in the summer(a few years ago people were complaining about lack of new IPs), the sequel to the best selling console game in Japan this gen Splatoon and a new Mario, Xeno 2 in the fall. If you are person who buys Nintendo consoles or Nintendo handhelds for the 1st party games but didn't buy the Wii U it's a very nice lineup.

How would a person who for example bought a 2DS last Christmas due to Pokemon Go look at the device - having never owned a Nintendo console before. Does he look at the lineup and say - yes that's a good value for x4 the amount I paid for the 2DS or does he need Pokemon Stars and a few more games to be announced to seal the deal.

Switch's major issue to most people on GAF in terms of lineup is the fact that it isn't launching with a bunch of major games. To me it's natural from a marketing perspective, you need short term focus and although there are videos and marketing for the other titles - there is no doubt that Zelda is the major focus in the West for the launch. MK8D is not really being pushed right now but Nintendo will be marketing the hell out of it late March/April. Splatoon 2 is already front and center because it's the system seller in Japan and globaltestfires, WW tournaments, concerts and events are going to fuel marketing there culminating in it's release. Arms will get it's spot under the headlights ahead of it's release. The real question is what fills the gaps because I definitely think Nintendo would want to release a major game every month/month and half during the first year of the system.
Also major third party support will come from the West only if the Switch is successful, Japanese 3rd Party support is already beginning to ramp up but I don't expect anything major to be announced in that regard until early summer.