• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 17, 2019
You are pretty much right. The Xbox One has been available at $249 may times throughout the last couple of years while the PS4 has hit that price outside the holidays nowhere near as much. If Sony drops the PS4 $50 it should have a healthy impact, not sure if it will have much impact at all for Xbox.

Im just saying the selling power between the two is noticeably different. If you guys think the PS4´s 2019 will be a trainwreck due to it selling less this year, then the Xbox One´s sales this year will look like a plane crashing into a train wreck.

Its a game of wait and see for how big the decline will be, but its obvious that the PS4 is going to be in much better shape than Xbox One this year. The magic of Xbox One´s 2018 was thanks to the Xbox One X making a lot of the core Xbox consumers upgrade and that has ran thin really as we have seen.

I just dont see any moves that MS can pull that will keep its sales afloat like Sony has for the PS4. The example to best represent this is that a $249 PS4 would actually make a difference, a $249 Xbox One is something we have seen for years many times throughout them already so it wont have an impact.

Yep, official PS4s price-cut will help surely this 2019. That won't be the case for X1 because it was on sale during whole 2018 unlike PS4

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was the August or September NPD prediction thread I stated 2019 will be -15% or more YoY, because of the inflationary effect of Fortnite + GoW & Spidey.

Entirely possible

The first half of the year will be where it's really difficult. Fortnite pushed so much hardware

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
I think the decision to reduce the PS4 price for Sony will be after Q1 sales, like if PS4 did ~200K in January and +300K in February and March then i think Sony will wait a little bit more, but if it did something like 150K In January and ~200K in February and March then Sony will do a price drop immediately.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I dont need it thanks

I'm done wasting time with dumb people. I share what I share. Those that dont like it can be blocked and I never have to hear from them again

I was just saying that sharing inside information needs carefulness because information can be easily misunderstood especially in a gaming forum. Great/relevant knowledge needs great responsibility. When I leaked stuffs I didn't feel to participate much in the debate because users on gaming forums tend to misbehave. Mine is an advice and I don't want to block/ignore you.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yes it is. It's one of their high profile 1st party title. It's not even for debate.

All big title are not bound to sell 10 million copies... Detroit was one of the big high profile title for PS4. Was it as big as Spiderman or God of of War ? Of course not, but that's was AAA. No question.

You framed it as crackdown being a big title to help move consoles for xbox.

That's what my reply was to. Not that it's not a AAA title.

On a side note, game is less than a month away and I swear they have done almost no marketing for it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good number for Switch, people just got a bit carried away with their expectations.

Kind of a bad showing for PS4 and XB1.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way, I think it's undetstated how much Apple and Samsung ate into that market.

This is probably correct. I don't think you'll see DS/Wii type numbers again, casuals ran off with Apple/Android and are never coming back to paying for games again. Streaming will take over consoles before that type of craze/fad happens again for the game business.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just saying that sharing inside information needs carefulness because information can be easily misunderstood especially in a gaming forum. Great/relevant knowledge needs great responsibility. When I leaked stuffs I didn't feel to participate much in the debate because users on gaming forums tend to misbehave. Mine is an advice and I don't want to block/ignore you.

Ehhhh I've been thinking about retiring from Era / Twitter for a while now

I put an unhealthy amount of myself, my free time, and my career on the line for what exactly? It helps drive conversations and that feels good. But I also get harassed endlessly about any single thing I get wrong while ignoring the stuff I get right.

I'm already being harassed on Twitter about the 2 million Switch

What exactly do I get out of all this?

Idk folks the end really might be here tbh

Oct 26, 2017

I put an unhealthy amount of myself, my free time, and my career on the line for what exactly? It helps drive conversations and that feels good. But I also get harassed endlessly about any single thing I get wrong while ignoring the stuff I get right.

If you personally feel that it'd be better to avoid social media regarding this sort of stuff, than that's understandable. You should go for what's best for you. Personally, I'd miss your insights on how sales are tracking for the various systems throughout the years

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Even if you stop leaking stuff stay around for the fun .
Nothing wrong with just talking about games and other stuff.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be like pork and barely say anything besides 1 line and then never enter sales related thread again till later on.

That's not my style though

I'm all in or I'm all out. I do this because I have PASSION for it

Fuck I already have nearly 7,000 posts on Era in the short time it's been here

But idk. I really think I may be done with the gaming community. It's taken more from me than its given back

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

If you do decide to retire as an insider, then I hope you still stick around in sales threads for the conversations.

I appreciate all the generosity you've shown to the community over the years and apologize on behalf of all the irrational folk that you've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

nah man. you seem to have fun in sharing stuff, so keep doing it! do what you like the more, really

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Stick around, there's still people that appreciate you, just probably steer clear of any hard predictions because some people get just way too worked up for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK

But idk. I really think I may be done with the gaming community. It's taken more from me than its given back
Well I can't speak for anyone else but I have found your posts informative and enjoy reading them, always.
Hopefully you'll reconsider.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna sleep on it tonight so I dont make any rash decisions

But odds are I retire my Era account / Twitter tomorrow permanently

It's a tough business and not sure I'm up for it anymore

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Like others have said, you probably shared too much this past month against your own good.
Maybe treat this as fun side activity?
The moment it isn't fun, you should just stop doing it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm gonna sleep on it tonight so I dont make any rash decisions

But odds are I retire my Era account / Twitter tomorrow permanently

It's a tough business and not sure I'm up for it anymore
Benji, consider the case of vern, who was a leaker. He decided that leaking wasn't worth it anymore and retired as a leaker. However, he stayed as a regular poster.

I hope you consider doing the same. You don't have to keep being an insider just to stick around as a member of this community.

I'd be more than happy to have you around with or without your valuable insights.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji, consider the case of vern, who was a leaker. He decided that leaking wasn't worth it anymore and retired as a leaker. However, he stayed as a regular poster.

I hope you consider doing the same. You don't have to keep being an insider just to stick around as a member of this community.

I'd be more than happy to have you around with or without your valuable insights.

Thing is it will be hard for me to talk about sales without my own personal input bleeding into it

It's literally what I do for a living so tough to talk about the industry without giving my input on it

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Expected PS4/One results and great Switch performance.

PS. Some of you take sales-era way too serious. This includes Benji - you pretty much predicted the month correctly and made sure to repeat a bunch of times that the Switch performance was difficult to read.

It still ended up doing the expected PS4+One numbers. Not your fault when people hype themselves up for weeks for higher not confirmed numbers.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So with official numbers for sell-through of 3.39M in North America, potentially around 3.75M shipped. Week 1 in Japan was around 200K sell-through so they likely shipped at least 2.35M in Japan for the quarter. So from those two territories we have 6.10M shipped.
So they should clear or be extremely close to 10M units shipped for the quarter, and to reach the fiscal year goal we are going to have to see big growth in the final quarter. I can see this occurring in Japan where we are likely to see 33% to 50% increase YoY for the final quarter. Smash momentum is being helped by NSMBU Deluxe launch.

Famitsu 2018 Week 1 & 2:
Week 1: 159.636
Week 2: 31.189
TOTAL: 190.825

Famitsu 2019 Week 1 & 2:
Week 1: 225.698(+41%)
Week 2: 83.136(+167%)
TOTAL: 308.834(+62%)

Last year for the remaining 11 Week of the quarter Switch sold 480.563 which is roughly a baseline of 43.687 per week. I can see remaining weeks having 60K baseline this year due to Smash/NSMBU Deluxe and a lot more 3rd party titles launching in this quarter compared to last year. Yoshi is surely a smaller title than Kirby but Kirby only provided an 8K boost to hardware sales last year. With this Switch will be at around 1.1M shipped in Japan for the first quarter. If Japan maintains 25% of shipped amount World Wide that's around 4.4M shipped. So they are going to be very close to hitting their goal as long as they see the momentum built over the holidays maintained into this quarter in other territories. That's without launching a revision or permanently dropping the price

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017

Harassed. Jeez dude don't even bother anymore. Not worth the hassle.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Oh some results! Hopefully some of you guys survived! hehe

Basically, Switch did the best December of the Holiday but not as high as speculated. But still managed to become the best seller of 2018
Xbox and PS4 took a bit of a dive in December but still did good for the entire year thanks to a pretty great year up until the ending.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
original.gif

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Thing is it will be hard for me to talk about sales without my own personal input bleeding into it

It's literally what I do for a living so tough to talk about the industry without giving my input on it
Understandable.

I'd ask if you could consider just steering clear of sales threads next, but I realize that the ERA sales community must have been your main point of interest in ResetERA in the first place, so that might be a pointless suggestion.

Oh well, thanks for everything.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
You framed it as crackdown being a big title to help move consoles for xbox.

That's what my reply was to. Not that it's not a AAA title.

On a side note, game is less than a month away and I swear they have done almost no marketing for it.

I never said anywhere Crackdown 3 would move units. However having consistently games coming on your platform help sales. I don't think games such as Arms, Kirby or Mario Tennis on Switch are killer aps per se. BUT they strongly contributed to good sales. It will be the same case with Crackdown 3.

Now I fully agree with you. The marketing has been poor so far. So much so I'm wondering if they are not going to delay the game again. Or maybe the game is so bad, they prefer to stealth release it. Weird indeed.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So with official numbers for sell-through of 3.39M in North America, potentially around 3.75M shipped. Week 1 in Japan was around 200K sell-through so they likely shipped at least 2.35M in Japan for the quarter. So from those two territories we have 6.10M shipped.
So they should clear or be extremely close to 10M units shipped for the quarter, and to reach the fiscal year goal we are going to have to see big growth in the final quarter. I can see this occurring in Japan where we are likely to see 33% to 50% increase YoY for the final quarter. Smash momentum is being helped by NSMBU Deluxe launch.

Famitsu 2018 Week 1 & 2:
Week 1: 159.636
Week 2: 31.189
TOTAL: 190.825

Famitsu 2019 Week 1 & 2:
Week 1: 225.698(+41%)
Week 2: 83.136(+167%)
TOTAL: 308.834(+62%)

Last year for the remaining 11 Week of the quarter Switch sold 480.563 which is roughly a baseline of 43.687 per week. I can see remaining weeks having 60K baseline this year due to Smash/NSMBU Deluxe and a lot more 3rd party titles launching in this quarter compared to last year. Yoshi is surely a smaller title than Kirby but Kirby only provided an 8K boost to hardware sales last year. With this Switch will be at around 1.1M shipped in Japan for the first quarter. If Japan maintains 25% of shipped amount World Wide that's around 4.4M shipped. So they are going to be very close to hitting their goal as long as they see the momentum built over the holidays maintained into this quarter in other territories.

Those numbers are US only though right? Another 10% or so in sales for Canada/Mexico and South America should probably be a somewhat more accurate sell through number. I think NA as a whole is north of 4M in shipments for the quarter.