• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After winning the title at Dominion 2016, Okada didn't have a title defense until King of Pro-Wrestling 2016 against Marufuji. After that, there was a break again until Wrestle Kingdom 11 against Omega. It's easy to forget that Okada had one title defense between July 2017 and Wrestle Kingdom 12: vs. EVIL at King of Pro-Wrestling 2017.

Omega won the title at Dominion 2018. His first defense was against Cody at the G1 Special in San Fran. Then, he defended again at Destruction in Hiroshima against Ishii and against Cody and Ibushi at King of Pro-Wrestling 2018.

Maybe the feeling that Omega disappeared isn't accurate, especially compared to Okada's reign.

I mean from what I hear, up till the G1 it was v good

Here's my spicy hill to die on

I'd happily take a year of Cody defences over a year of Tanahashi

hank-scorpio.gif

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I mean from what I hear, up till the G1 it was v good

Here's my spicy hill to die on

I'd happily take a year of Cody defences over a year of Tanahashi
I'm indifferent on Tanahashi but him winning is the easiest way to get back on track to Naito/Okada. Transitional Ace

I wanted to believe in Cody after Wrestle Kingdom last year. He had the look, he got his character to a good place (especially with Brandi), and he had the first match of his indie/Japan career that really made it look like he belonged in his spot. I don't believe Kota just carried him either because he's worked plenty with good people and it's always been, at best, good WWE PPV style matches

Since that Wrestle Kingdom match he's basically fallen back entirely on BTE shtick and it makes me sad

I had a good time at All In during his match but that was all on the atmosphere

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it, where is that Simpsons gif of the old time cowboy town with the actors shooting blanks at each other? I need that for Flammable D's post and for any RDR2-related discussions.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
The Omega schedule thing really only sucks in that there is ZERO exciting build. Same thing happened with Cody at San Francisco. They just showed up.

The Korakuen shows can be enough if they're smart but they somehow made this basic ass story arc the lamest shit.

But wringing hands over him not showing up for multi-man tags during the Jr tag league? Nobody really cares about that shit. People just want to shit on him at every opportunity.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I wish The Lapsed Fan t-shirts weren't so god damn ugly. Everytime I look into getting one it feels I'm looking through shirts at Spencer's Gifts.

Last edited:

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Saying that about Tana in 2018 is wild. He's had an awesome year.

Hell of turnaround since WK where he looked about as broken down as Tenzan and Nakanishi.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
But wringing hands over him not showing up for multi-man tags during the Jr tag league? Nobody really cares about that shit. People just want to shit on him at every opportunity.
It's annoying to see some of the dorks baiting him with shit on twitter and then when he responds in retaliation they go "WOW, CAN'T BELIEVE THE IWGP CHAMPION JUST SAID THIS TO ME"

he's done plenty of dumb shit that you don't need to make your own, but hey man that's not what the twitter life is about brother.

I agree though my biggest complaint is that everything up to him winning the title was so great, and then they've done fucking nothing. 2 Cody matches that weren't good (after a Mania weekend payoff match that didn't deliver beyond BTE storyline expectations).

The story going into WK is "muh meltzer stars change da world" and turning up the most annoying aspects of his character to 11 while Tanahashi goes "man this guy sucks"

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying to see some of the dorks baiting him with shit on twitter and then when he responds in retaliation they go "WOW, CAN'T BELIEVE THE IWGP CHAMPION JUST SAID THIS TO ME"

he's done plenty of dumb shit that you don't need to make your own, but hey man that's not what the twitter life is about brother.

I agree though my biggest complaint is that everything up to him winning the title was so great, and then they've done fucking nothing. 2 Cody matches that weren't good (after a Mania weekend payoff match that didn't deliver beyond BTE storyline expectations).

The story going into WK is "muh meltzer stars change da world" and turning up the most annoying aspects of his character to 11 while Tanahashi goes "man this guy sucks"
Remember when people were excited by the idea that they were going to build to an Omega vs. Ibushi match? Surely, they wouldn't let that one slip, just like they couldn't mess up the female John Cena, Bayley.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people were excited by the idea that they were going to build to an Omega vs. Ibushi match? Surely, they wouldn't let that one slip, just like they couldn't mess up the female John Cena, Bayley.
if we want to go full tinfoil hat

imagine if Omega wanted Ibushi at the Dome, but they got wind of him leaving and didn't want to give Ibushi the belt so they threw Tana in there instead. lol

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
After winning the title at Dominion 2016, Okada didn't have a title defense until King of Pro-Wrestling 2016 against Marufuji. After that, there was a break again until Wrestle Kingdom 11 against Omega. It's easy to forget that Okada had one title defense between July 2017 and Wrestle Kingdom 12: vs. EVIL at King of Pro-Wrestling 2017.

Omega won the title at Dominion 2018. His first defense was against Cody at the G1 Special in San Fran. Then, he defended again at Destruction in Hiroshima against Ishii and against Cody and Ibushi at King of Pro-Wrestling 2018.

Maybe the feeling that Omega disappeared isn't accurate, especially compared to Okada's reign.

Indeed. Okada did fuck all from the G1 to WK in 2017. Believe it or not, he had ONE singles match from G1 to WK last year, which was the Evil match. And that was a good match but nothing even close to Omega's match with Ishii. Hell, nothing close to Okada vs Tanahashi from the Destruction show in September.

People seem to have fucking sky high expectations for New Japan in 2018, it seems. multiple 4 star matches every card ain't enough anymore.

Orrrrr they're just looking to shit on Kenny at every possible opportunity

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
LMAO Rev Pro are running a show in my hometown completely randomly

They haven't actually announced it but tickets have been on sale all day. Grabbed mine just now, can't not go really when they're literally a short walk from my front door.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm proven wrong and there's some crazy bangers and such announced I wouldn't be opposed to eating the loss and getting a later flight home (return flight was only like 60 bucks) but I'm trying to avoid having to get a room that night lol. I'm expecting the best of the weekend to be thursday/friday anyways. That NOVA Pro show is at noon the morning after Spring Break shenanigans. PROGRESS ran that slot in NOLA and it was pretty low key and low energy lol

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
You've just gotta have faith, Brian. Dave Prazak has a plan; he just needs money.
HHH wants to coopt but he's waiting for them to catch up on VOD

Like in theory wXw will have Toni and Killer Kelly, and SHIMMER is supposed to be bringing in joshi

But the 3 names currently announced for SHIMMER are Willow, Brittany Blake, and Shotzi. And Dust holds a belt. Slow your fucking role Prazak

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
SOMETHING'S GONNA HAPPEN AT FINAL BATTLE 2018

SOMETHING BIG
Bully Ray changes the stipulation of ZSJ/Gresham to be a loser leaves ROH match

He attacks Gresham in the match because he hates little men and all lives matter

this is a DQ so Zack will never be in the company again

wait who's that

why

that's Tommy Dreamer, from the ECW

I remember ECW

Wow folks looks like It's gonna be Tommy Dreamer vs. Bully Ray at MADISON. SQUARE. GARDEN.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
my heart says tana but my gut says omega. either way omega will stick around njpw for the unfinished ibushi & even okada stuff while doing aew on the side with the bucks and cody